Does LEDs really yield the same as their "HPS equivalent"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Horselover Fat View Post
    Yes, and I think there will be differences due to the fact that the fluence should be hung at 6" and hps has to stay further. Same grow style might not be optimal for both. There are so many variables that it really isn't easy to compare them. That said I'm loiking forward to seeing the grow. Should be interesting.
    MY old computer is kaput but I had me nice medicine man cultivars growing INTO and around my kooltubes like baby baboons cling to momma
    I eat legos

Comment

Originally posted by Boyd Crowder View Post
      yes - they will grow more for less
      less heat less wattage more efficiency

roll your own strip lights for .5$ watt or spend 1+$ watt on the same thing in fancy cases/heatsinks

you can get by with 25w sft, but id shoo for 35-40 w/sqft in practice

you will run hotter rooms (80-85F) because they dont respire as much as hps

Dont know what your plannin with all that light boyd but if i was u id get ur crocadile huntin hide stompin ass out before you blow that shit up??

Comment

LED are far more flexible in their application which can result in much higher overall productivity, especially apparent in smaller odd shaped grow rooms .. Myself I am seeing a 250% increase in production over HID with half the power draw.. my room is long and narrow with a lower ceiling

Comment

4 X 4 ft. sq, under 1 Gavita............ with about 4 1/2 weeks to go.

I'd be amiss not to mention how important defoliation is when using LED's........ the room you see above was not topped or pruned other than some lollipopping, and the branches all seem to elongate to the same length. But the key for supreme bud growth is to remove many of the leaves blocking all the branches and bud sites. I've gone into great detail in my threads on T H C Farmer about this, and I'm guessing that's why my last thread had over 30,000 hits. My current thread there is going to blow by that number before the crop above is finished.

The new plan is to add some UVB to the room, which should increase THC production around 26% (at least that what studies show) and I'm currently figuring out what fixtures to buy and how/where to hang them.
          Last edited by sshz; 12-05-2020, 01:55.

Comment

Gavita just announced a 1:1 LED. CT1930E. 780w. 1930umol. Let's see how the price is.

https://gavita.com/retail/products/g...duct_more_info

The China quantum's felt like a waste of money, So I went DE. 1000W DE in the 5x5 A-Frame tent hung at the very top, and my plants are stressed as hell. Had to order 600w/750w lamps to cut down on output. Doubt a 600+w LED unit would do the same. as for heat. Yea less watts means less btu's. Fact is though, with current market LED's. You need more of them to equalize a DE's penetration. in term adding more wattage than you would need in a DE room. Thus negating any positive affects the LEDhas, which would also INCREASE COSTS, by adding btu's to the room...this LED market has been convoluted as hell for years. Hopefully Gavita can change my opinion on LED tech once the ct1930e is released. until then I'll stick to DE.
            Just a guy working to find that strain. you know, that strain...

More defined grow logs of my stuff.

https://growdiaries.com - search for tdotgong

Comment

That light was announced about a week or two ago.......it's meant to replace a 1000 hps, as it's a much smaller sized unit than what I have, the 1700e. At around $1300+, they are not cheap.

With HPS, I was averaging around 65 oz per two 1000 watts bulbs. With two Gavita's, I'm averaging 106 oz and using over 700 less watts.

Comment

The price is around $1300........

Comment

$2600 sounds like a lot, but if you get 40 ounces more, then they only need to be worth $65 each to entirely pay for your new lighting in one hit.

50 a light is over 2g a watt. I'm not there yet, but still the investment came straight back.

Comment

sshz.. can you post a pic of a 2 gram a watt canopy.. thats a huge yield with 700 less watts... ive seen u post pics b4.. but they didnt look like it was 5lbs +
                    Hall Of Fame

Comment

I got 6 lbs., 5 oz my first grow under the two gavita's.......I believe it was 2.3 GPW, about as high as you find. Under 1290 watts, it's actually amazing.

One pic is from the Orange Gasm room, my last grow. The other pic is Sweet Zombie, my current grow. The Orange Gasm had a few weeks to go in that pic, the Sweet Zombie has around 5 more weeks.

If you want to find the entire grow, do a google search for "sshz and orange gasm"......remember too, you are only looking at 1/2 the room in both pics, there's another side that looks exactly the same in both pic's. There's actually video's of the room in the thread, that will give you a much better idea of what's up in there.
                      Last edited by sshz; 12-06-2020, 02:47.

Comment

And delivered, both LED's cost me around $2850......a ton of money. But rest assure, going from a 65 oz average to 106 oz- it paid for itself numerous times in just one grow. I don't think I'll get to 106 oz this time, as Sweet Zombie (95% indica) doesn't grow as large as the Orange Gasm (85% sativa), but still, I'll get near 90 oz I'm guessing.

And yes, just checked my numbers.....2968 total grams divided by 1290 watts= 2.3 gpw.

And yes again, I get top dollar for my stuff- 250 to 300 depending on how much you buy. Most of my customers are professional people, who can readily afford to buy the best around.

Comment

blob:https://www.*********.com/9c21a126-a...e-128cfa0654b3

A video of the entire room, insert t-h-c-f-a-r-m-e-r............

Comment

On paper the yield is nice. But how's resin quality? I'm just not convinced yet. Also financing a grow at 1300$ a light is brutal. Variability of running them at that cost in business is just not worth it. let a lone joe blow grower guy. to many variability's. Need more development. I'll purchase a Gavita ct1900e when they come out to test it. Fingers crossed it changes my opinion.
                            Just a guy working to find that strain. you know, that strain...

More defined grow logs of my stuff.

https://growdiaries.com - search for tdotgong

Comment

Overall resin and quality were superior to most everything I’ve done under hps, and I’ve been growing large scale since 1988. I think adding uvb will only make things that much better too. Nothing I can say will convince you, but numerous people in my thread received some of it, and they all thought it was incredible if that means anything.......

Comment

Originally posted by TdotGonG View Post
                                On paper the yield is nice. But how's resin quality? I'm just not convinced yet. Also financing a grow at 1300$ a light is brutal. Variability of running them at that cost in business is just not worth it. let a lone joe blow grower guy. to many variability's. Need more development. I'll purchase a Gavita ct1900e when they come out to test it. Fingers crossed it changes my opinion.
                                You don't have to buy Gavita. They use the same parts as we can all get. You don't actually need to spend half that much. My 720w of actual LED power or 780w of ballast consumption set me back ~ $500

Resin production seems unaffected. More flavour though, due to the cooler plants

Comment

Working...
                                X