What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does LEDs really yield the same as their "HPS equivalent"

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I will take hlg led all day.

Attachments

• photo2034787.jpg
    photo2034787.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 53
  • photo2034792.jpg
    photo2034792.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 59
  • photo2035075.jpg
    photo2035075.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 47

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
As far as different bins, I really think you should do more real world research before making such assertions. Typically Samsung sells diodes in a specific bin, they don't mix and match. so that speculation you made isn't really a thing.

Your are getting in knots pal. You said it

Can you imaging how the cheap knockoffs mixing voltage bins and flux bin all on the same board can cause issues?

I didn't compare different colour temperatures either.
The average top bin, and the average bottom bin, are 10% apart. Stick 288 together from one bin and you are very unlikely to produce anything other than an average result. Top and bottom bins will be 10% apart. The price isn't though.

The longevity of our lights is greatly influenced by temperature. A Meanwell driver will fail in 2 years with a case temperature of 85C which is very important for a QB. 85C is also an important LED temp, and at 200mA the heatsink doesn't want to be hotter than 55C which looks impossible from where I'm sitting. There really is no heatsink. While others are spending time on this important area of development, HLG have stepped backward and use a plate with little more surface area than the bare board. You can loose 6% of your light going from room temp to 85C and the aging of LEDs brings further losses of greater proportions. IIRC a poorly utilised LED will loose about 15% over 5 years, as our plateauing advancement in LEDs will move them on about 10% putting 25% between aged lights and new ones. It's why I stick with 288 boards that have finned heatsinks that I then put cooling fans on. I'm still at 45C though running about 65% of full power. It's compounding.

negative37dBA

Veteran
Hi all. I am having great results with my DIY Pacific Light Concepts strip build LED light. I did a build thread on it and this light is just killing it! I am at end of week 3 of a gg4 monocrop run. Things are going well. Its to dense in there. I have never had growth this thick ever in this room. Still defoliating after 2 days of leaf pulling!! Great bud set for day 21.
The light is 640 or so watts. It is a 8 bar spine type set up with 2 meanwell drivers. It is very efficient(you could check out the numbers in my thread)and the plants love it. I have done a couple small runs with it but now I have 3 big plants and 1 runty bitch in a sweet undercurrent system so I am looking for much more than GPW this run.
4, GG4 in undercurrent RDWC. Day 21 of flower. Canopy size is 4x4.
fetch?photoid=17884114.jpg

Here is the beasty light. It was a easy DIY. It is a remote driver build. They are in a cabinet outside the room.
fetch?photoid=17616513.jpg

16 Photo boost strips with samsung white lm301b and cree xpe photo reds.
fetch?photoid=17613353.jpg

fetch?photoid=17613402.jpg

I will let you know what the yield is. The last run of gg4 was some of the gassiest and most dense I have ever grown. I am convinced that the quality of led is far better than hps due to the better spectrum and light distribution. These type of leds are just awesome. We are in a good place as far as lighting tech goes in grow world.
Have a great day all. Peace, negative.

TPFTFW

Veteran
Click image for larger version  Name:	D5B373E0-BB2C-4288-826A-3DEDD7FFEABB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	17886083
All sour diesel
flipping TODAY

and I throw in a pink panties or a sour apple since I snapped a plant in half, then stopped fell on it.

ive been defoliating like crazy, it’s just all nodes n branches. And I still have more to go
reallt trying to minimize stretch they’re at about 3 feet and sour likes to reach for the stars, gonna throw power SI em, true blooms, more co2 at night and see if I can’t get it poppin
Click image for larger version  Name:	D5B373E0-BB2C-4288-826A-3DEDD7FFEABB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	90.0 KB ID:	17886083

Raho

Veteran
All sour diesel
flipping TODAY and I throw in a pink panties or a sour apple since I snapped a plant in half, then stopped fell on it.

ive been defoliating like crazy, it’s just all nodes n branches. And I still have more to go
reallt trying to minimize stretch they’re at about 3 feet and sour likes to reach for the stars, gonna throw power SI em, true blooms, more co2 at night and see if I can’t get it poppin

Plants consume/hold CO2 all day and basically exhale when the lights go out. Transpiration drops to almost nothing. Adding more CO2 at night won't help you at all.

TPFTFW

Veteran
Plants consume/hold CO2 all day and basically exhale when the lights go out. Transpiration drops to almost nothing. Adding more CO2 at night won't help you at all.

spurrs first post in his thread on CO2 would disagree with you

i wish I could source the info or explain the reason but it has to do with excess something or other created by high c02 at night