What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fill her up

CrushnYuba

Using a sonoff it's a great idea. Or a time delay relay.

What if you connected a float switch to a time deejay relay. When the water gets below a certain point, the float goes down and triggers the relay. It runs for whatever time you set and it shuts off. It also triggers the valve for filling.

Esme

Using a sonoff it's a great idea. Or a time delay relay.

What if you connected a float switch to a time deejay relay. When the water gets below a certain point, the float goes down and triggers the relay. It runs for whatever time you set and it shuts off. It also triggers the valve for filling.

I've put in my own float switch before with an sonoff connected to a solenoid valve and the flow switch so i didn't need to rely on a person who kept forgeting to fill the tank so when I come i could start adding nutes and feeding the plants.

So in the end I would just go on the App and switch it on once the float switch was hit it would turn the solenoid back off and when i left i would make sure the sonoff was off

That was in a hand feed room so once a day I was doing that but it would save me 10-15min's filling a 750L.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I got some 1.6mm wall Santoprene today. It's a fair bit tougher than silicone, so a basic pump might not have the guts. It's Okay though, I got this for a stepper that the seller said takes it. Chinese seller. So that's £13 worth of scrap hose and I need some 1mm wall.

The stepper is impressive to look at.

Anyone looking at these, should buy 3x5 hose I think. I have some coming for another pump thankfully, so will prove it soon.

It's really quite weighty.

I deliver the same volume of water daily, with the weather effecting just the amount of run-off. So my tank corrections are fixed quantities. I should really go for PC emitters though, as my filter is still a variable that occasionally reduces delivery.

I could devise control gear to fill a tank, once it gets low, back to the top. Fixing the amounts used. I mean... I am. But should the tank run to minimum during a fertigation cycle, the fertigation would have to be paused while the tank fills and corrects again. Just how, would depend on the system in use. But I don't think I would measure the fertigation volume to calculate the correction pumps run time. I think I could manage it, but it's not my style. I would rather run the fertigation pump until it's stopped by the run-off accumulating to my desired volume. Which is easy to pause for a tank fill.

Edit: That was a little confusing. I delivery a fixed fertigation (or a few) then fill my tank. So I can never run dry. It's only if your fertigations were not fixed volumes, that you could empty the tank while you were feeding. With fixed dosing, you must fill the tank in one go. Though... :)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Some time later....

I have found the easiest way to access the household plumbing is at the flexi-pipe under the loo or below a tap. The loo one usually has a service valve at the fixed plumbing end. Allowing for easy water isolation while you screw the adapter in. This next link shows such an adapter being used for a butt washer.
https://image.made-in-china.com/202...for-Toilet-Bidet-Sprayer-Faucet-Connector.jpg

I have found this valve a good option
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I like that valve as the plumbing is now simple 'push fit' plastic pipe.
I don't want high pressure pipework through the house, so put my 12v valve right beside the adapter, and tie it down as some punk may trip over the pipe that trails through the house.
I like this valve
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...9#237_4452#5108#23442#820_4452#3564#16062#146

A pipework selection pack costs little
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...9#237_4452#5108#23442#820_4452#3564#16062#146

That's really quite simple hardware

Latest posts

Latest posts