What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning Failing? Tried Everything? Found the missing link?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I picked up some water from a friends house the other day (he's on city water), and have taken 15 or so cuttings, putting them directly in cups w/ the city water (ph'd down to 5.8), hiding out in the shadows of two 15gal planters, and after two days, the cuttings look just as green and perky as when they were taken. I'd be pretty happy if this works out, we've picked up some bad luck with the clones as of late and it would be great if we could get back en tract.
thanks!

Herborizer

Veteran
I am now using the Pool Shock to sanitize all my systems. It's working great. Its so much more cost effective then bleach. I am not having any issues with using it. Cloning continues to work much better. Soon I plan on running a little bit in all my reservoirs all the time.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i just finished 9 succesful clones, i just cut them and stuck them in moist soil and then in a week i had roots. i would have documented it but i don't have a camera right now.

you guys still messing about with all these chemicals and shit huh?

ill run 9 more in a little while and take pictures. i don't know why you guys are having such a hard time, it really is as easy as cutting the clones and sticking them in wet dirt and waiting.

Herborizer

Veteran
i just finished 9 succesful clones, i just cut them and stuck them in moist soil and then in a week i had roots. i would have documented it but i don't have a camera right now.

you guys still messing about with all these chemicals and shit huh?

ill run 9 more in a little while and take pictures. i don't know why you guys are having such a hard time, it really is as easy as cutting the clones and sticking them in wet dirt and waiting.

Trust me, you are lucky. Its not easy like that for everyone.

TLoft13

Very interesting thread. Thank you for posting this.

It has been my experience that small community water systems often have a degree of variability in the chlorine content of the water. Possibly this could lead to a person using the same methods each time but with inconsistent results.

edit; It was mentioned recently in another cloning thread that we need a cloning forum here at IC. I agree. Let's get this information in an easily accessible location.
Supported, good idea.

R

rick shaw

Something I've been doing the last few rounds that seems to help.Spraying the mom/donor plant with plain tap water starting a couple of days before taking cuts.

Two reasons for spraying,one is to lower the nitrogen level,the other is cleaning the area about to be cut.

Last round was successful...a little to successful,to many now LOL

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
im not lucky, im trying to tell you all it REALLY is that easy. just make sure the soil is warm and moist. not wet, and not dry but just moist, like it is in the bag 40%-60% humidity.

i will document some more clones in a couple of weeks with many detailed pictures.

these were 3 different species, one was g13 from DGS which i would expect no problems from anyway since its bred, the second one was a seed from 1994 i sprouted and cloned it turned out male, and the 3rd was a random bagseed i cloned which has so far turned out to be the goddamn bagseed lotto jackpot. 5 weeks of flower and the trichs are all cloudy, and it reeks like pineapples and garbage, and so frosty.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
very interesting thread man

very interesting thread man

thanks for sharing your theory, i really like the way you presented it, sounds plausible. i've actually seen people recommend a bit of bleach for the res before. sounds like it's worth a try with cloning. i hope more people bring feed back on trying this out. i have to admit my cloning has ups and downs, so anything helping to make it more reliable is good. as far as i know our water has no chlorine in it. might add some bleach next time i water the cloning cubes.

Herborizer

Veteran
im not lucky, im trying to tell you all it REALLY is that easy. just make sure the soil is warm and moist. not wet, and not dry but just moist, like it is in the bag 40%-60% humidity.

i will document some more clones in a couple of weeks with many detailed pictures.

these were 3 different species, one was g13 from DGS which i would expect no problems from anyway since its bred, the second one was a seed from 1994 i sprouted and cloned it turned out male, and the 3rd was a random bagseed i cloned which has so far turned out to be the goddamn bagseed lotto jackpot. 5 weeks of flower and the trichs are all cloudy, and it reeks like pineapples and garbage, and so frosty.

Sorry, not trying to be rude but please just refrain from commenting in this thread. Telling people that "it just works" is not contributing. For some people, it's just "not that easy". Like many of the hardest challenges, everything looks so easy from the outside until you have been there yourself.

G

greenmatter

this thread made me go back and read the label on my physan 20 bottle ...... under seeds, seedlings,and cut flowers it says this ......"to eliminate stem plugging (which restricts uptake of water) and to control bacteria and fungi (which create ethylene gas, a cause of petal drop) ..........."

could it be the ethylene that slows down the clones too? a humidity dome would be the perfect place for this to cause problems if the media was not sterile.

a bit off subject, but these guys say ethylene is not good .....http://www.prismaservices.com/downloads/ethylene.pdf?PHPSESSID=980df8c05781bfb2606d4a50bb7494d3 ....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_senescence

anyone got any info on ethylene and clones?

Last edited:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
im trying to help you out kid, you're the ones buying solutions and doing all this mojo when its as simple as cutting clones and sticking them in dirt and waiting. nothing special about my grow or water, its as basic as it gets, yet i have more clones than i know what to do with and you can't get one to root with all your fancy snake oils.

M

MacGyver420

I am now using the Pool Shock to sanitize all my systems. It's working great. Its so much more cost effective then bleach. I am not having any issues with using it. Cloning continues to work much better. Soon I plan on running a little bit in all my reservoirs all the time.

what brand of pool shock and how much are you using per gallon;
thanks ahead of time.

C

cvk

didnt read every post so excuse me if this was already posted. To get 100% success rates the main key to cloning is having the mother plant freshly hydrated before you take your cutting. otherwise you are reducing the time your clone stays healthy and wilts before the roots emerge

Voidling

I hear some strains are just near impossible to clone.

I'm a newbie and had luck with a little rooting gel and stuck in coco. I'd suggest looking in the coco forum about cloning in it.

Herborizer

Veteran
im trying to help you out kid, you're the ones buying solutions and doing all this mojo when its as simple as cutting clones and sticking them in dirt and waiting. nothing special about my grow or water, its as basic as it gets, yet i have more clones than i know what to do with and you can't get one to root with all your fancy snake oils.

Last time I will comment on this. Please read original post, 1st paragraph. Thanks.

Herborizer

Veteran
didnt read every post so excuse me if this was already posted. To get 100% success rates the main key to cloning is having the mother plant freshly hydrated before you take your cutting. otherwise you are reducing the time your clone stays healthy and wilts before the roots emerge

Thanks for this tip. I have not considered this since I use Tropf Blumats to feed my mothers. Basically, they drip on them 24x7. I will look into turning up the volume right before taking cuts. Or even foliar feeding water right before.

Herborizer

Veteran
thanks for sharing your theory, i really like the way you presented it, sounds plausible. i've actually seen people recommend a bit of bleach for the res before. sounds like it's worth a try with cloning. i hope more people bring feed back on trying this out. i have to admit my cloning has ups and downs, so anything helping to make it more reliable is good. as far as i know our water has no chlorine in it. might add some bleach next time i water the cloning cubes.

Thanks gaiusmarius. For using bleach, I have heard that 1 drop per gallon is the correct amount. I have not tested this though. The pool shock is what I use. It is sooooooooooooo much cheaper and so easy.

Herborizer

Veteran
this thread made me go back and read the label on my physan 20 bottle ...... under seeds, seedlings,and cut flowers it says this ......"to eliminate stem plugging (which restricts uptake of water) and to control bacteria and fungi (which create ethylene gas, a cause of petal drop) ..........."

could it be the ethylene that slows down the clones too? a humidity dome would be the perfect place for this to cause problems if the media was not sterile.

a bit off subject, but these guys say ethylene is not good .....http://www.prismaservices.com/downloads/ethylene.pdf?PHPSESSID=980df8c05781bfb2606d4a50bb7494d3 ....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant_senescence

anyone got any info on ethylene and clones?

Interesting idea. Worth exploring and researching. Maybe chlorine helps with this as well? I own physan, but I have not tried it in cloning because its supposed to be used on ornamental plants. I use physan to sterilize equipment between grows, just not on live plants. It's worth a try to see how it compares to chlorine, just to know and further your theory.

G

greenmatter

Interesting idea. Worth exploring and researching. Maybe chlorine helps with this as well? I own physan, but I have not tried it in cloning because its supposed to be used on ornamental plants. I use physan to sterilize equipment between grows, just not on live plants. It's worth a try to see how it compares to chlorine, just to know and further your theory.

i've been doing some more reading on ethylene. crazy in how many different ways it is produced. i had no clue that bacteria could do it. we are always looking at plant pathogens as our problem, but i think if you got an ethylene producing bacteria in the mix you would find no damping off, pythium or whatever and still be seeing your clones crash.

i think chlorine would have the same effect as the physan, i just never thought about this until i read the physan label.