What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning Failing? Tried Everything? Found the missing link?

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
You should add a poll so we can see if chlorinated water folk tend to have less problems.

If there IS a poll, make it something like this:

• Cloning in chlorinated water with 0%-50% success
  • Cloning in chlorinated water with 51%-75% success
  • Cloning in chlorinated water with 76%-100% success
  • Cloning in RO water with 0%-50% success
  • Cloning in RO water with 51%-75% success
  • Cloning in RO water with 76%-100% success
  • Other (Please post your method)
(If you wanted, you could take it even further and have an option for peat pucks, rapid rooters, aeroponics, glass of water, etc.)

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Theres only so much you could actually put in a cloning forum without repeating the info 100 times.

Maybe a Propagation forum would have a wider range of subjects for discussion.

Standard and exp cloneing techniques
Air layering
Grafting
sexing
Seed germination
Pests and deseases relevant to cloneing and early seed
Chemical and hormone accelerants
DIY versions of commercial cloners
Side by side comparisons done properly
Testing of commercial products in a scientific way
Usefull info from non canna forums
Compilation of any relevant hard science

Should be enougth there to justify its space , other forums are organised this way.

If there IS a poll, make it something like this:

• Cloning in chlorinated water with 0%-50% success
  • Cloning in chlorinated water with 51%-75% success
  • Cloning in chlorinated water with 76%-100% success
  • Cloning in RO water with 0%-50% success
  • Cloning in RO water with 51%-75% success
  • Cloning in RO water with 76%-100% success
  • Other (Please post your method)
(If you wanted, you could take it even further and have an option for peat pucks, rapid rooters, aeroponics, glass of water, etc.)
There are hundreds of ways of cloning! I'm sure mine would never make the list. I think it is more about the chlorine in this thread

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I say this with chuckle and smile :dance013:... what good does a sticky do when people ignore it, pass it by and post a request for stickys directly under the very sticky they're asking for?

CLONERS- a collection of various methods

Pick a method, any method and follow the links to the original threads where each method is discussed at length.

Hey Freezer. Could you please post up a link to a thread about how to clone? Maybe a sticky? That'd be great! Thanks, homie!

:laughing:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Actually, that's JJs sticky and it's a great one.

ICs sticky can be found in the top section of Growrooms and Equipment CLONERS- a collection of various methods and covers every major clone method here at IC including JJs.

Who needs a subforum? Just read the info right in front of us.

Mr Eckted

You might just be on to something there! It actually makes a ton of sense.

One question though, why would the Cl mean that rez temps are no longer important? Just wondering. That would be a godsend. (Sry, I'm an engineer, not a biologist)

dgr

Cl- is very reactive. Simple life forms pretty much get destroyed by coming in contact with it. The Cl- should allow any reasonable res temps by preventing these organisms from multiplying in the reservoir. We try to keep the res temps cool to make the environment less inviting for them to multiply.

You have to keep adding it as it gets used up/dissipates and the life forms never cease their assault. We're not eliminating them, merely shifting the balance so that the plants have a chance to do what they need to do in a more sterile environment.

Herborizer

Veteran
Cl- is very reactive. Simple life forms pretty much get destroyed by coming in contact with it. The Cl- should allow any reasonable res temps by preventing these organisms from multiplying in the reservoir. We try to keep the res temps cool to make the environment less inviting for them to multiply.

You have to keep adding it as it gets used up/dissipates and the life forms never cease their assault. We're not eliminating them, merely shifting the balance so that the plants have a chance to do what they need to do in a more sterile environment.

Bingo!

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
FWIW, one gram of CaOCl is just shy of 1/4 teaspoon.
I mixed up a quart of solution for my clones using 1/4 gram of pool shock.
I tested it with my Taylor DPD titration kit, but since my kit is for bromine (spa) it didn't give an accurate reading.
UV light destroys Cl-, so keeping the solution in a light proof container should help.
I clone using a cup of water. I'm adding a couple of drops every third day to keep it clean and healthy.
K+ to the OP.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
Here's another piece of anicdotal evidence, I can't clone to save my life. I've been getting about a 5% success rate. My water is well water with no chlorine added. I'll give this method a try, and report back later.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
It's 4 days since this thread started when I tossed my pure and natural water and started using tap water on the clones. Yes indeed, compared to the last few clone trays and the first few days on this tray, the clones are perkier. Not a lot perkier, what took 12 days is taking 9 days. Looked at as saving 3 days it is not much, but looking at it as 25% faster it is a major change.

Little things like this keep making my grows better and better, thank you each and every poster.

buddzy

If this keeps me from hitting and missing and shaves daysoff i'll be throwin some rep your way for sure,Keeping fingers crossed.

Herborizer

Veteran
FYI. I just put 48 oz of the chlorine solution in my aerocloner that only holds 2 gallons of water. I had two rooted clones in there. I ran it for two days. Clones looked great up top. Underneath, the roots curled a little but not bad. I bet they are completely fine.

Anyway, if that gives any idea about how much you could go up to if needed. Of course, you would never need to go to 48 oz per 2 gallons. This was just an experiment. Remember, the recommended dosage is 1oz per 5 gallons, or about 1/4 oz per gallon.

mofeta

Veteran
I think you are on to something, Herborizer!

Although chlorine deficiency is very unusual in growing plants, one of the main symptoms that is always listed is stunted roots.

Chlorine is an essential nutrient in plants. It is used for a lot of different things by plants. One of the main roles it plays is in rapidly elongating tissues like roots and shoots. When plant tissues are analyzed in the lab, some of the highest concentration of chlorine is in the roots.

It would be good to test other sources of chlorine in your cloning water. If RO/distilled water with no/very little water (edit: this should say chlorine, not water) was used as the base, you could compare it with the same water to which a different chlorine source was added. Besides bleach and pool shock, common household sources of chlorine are table salt (NaCl), No-Salt brand table salt substitute (KCl), ice-melting salt (usually CaCl, but sometimes MgCl).

If you are right about this, and you have solved the "Why do some people have such a hard time rooting cuts?" mystery, people will be erecting statues in your honor and writing poetry and songs and stuff in praise of you.

Last edited: