What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can I eliminate mold/mildew spores in the intake without flow restriction?

little-soldier

Hello Fellow ICMAGERs,

My grow room has air flowing in and out of the room 24/7 so I was wondering if there is some kind of way to filter all the bad spores coming into the room at full fan speed without restriction.
Right now I have 2 x 8 inch intake fans blowing air from outside into the room to cool it down. If I use some sort of HEPA filter it will restrict airflow.
Isnt UV light good to kill spores too and does'nt it kill it instantly? I could build a box with a UV light inside and have the air pasing through the box before entering the grow room.
Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
There are different construction methods for hepa grade filtration. A 600x600 panel of the white and blue offers very little resistance. As a commercial product, it will tell you exactly how much. In more layman terms, you can breathe through a piece over your mouth, even during exercise. So a 600x600 panel passes a lot of air.

It's worth keeping in mind, that hepa grades are far too good. They are concerned with bacteria and vapours. The spores you talk of, are not going to be stopped by a course grade filter, but the most basic of fine grades cover spores. M5. Generally white glass fiber wool. You may even find some of our filter socks are that grade. Which leads to an interesting fitment option. Using old emptied filter bodies, to wrap in wadding you source yourself.

This will be a rip-off at $30 but you don't need to enter a supply chain https://hrvfilters.com/products/f5-m...l-1-5-metre-sq
At 8" your fans will likely use 12" wide carbon filter bodies, so just over a meter will wrap around nicely.

little-soldier

Thx for all the valuable info guys
f-e you are right i should probably look into an m5 filter and using empty carbon filter skeletons is a smart idea too. Although i made a mistake, my fans are 10 inch and will need a third one next summer. I will probably need to build a huge box outside my grow room with an M5 filter. Now i tried looking for cfm capacity on those hepa filters to get an idea of the size of box i would need to build but could not find the data. Same thing for the m5 filters. I wish therr was a mathematical equation for this type of construction.

Latest posts

Latest posts