What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Much Space for Veg? How Much For Flowering ?

fckn elv1s

I'm not into building at all and I'm new to growing. I have someone helping me create a grow space. The space I have to work with is 15ft Length 6 Ft Height (Maybe 6ft Width).

How should I divide this space percentage-wise/ratio-wise into a flowering & veg room?

Is there a standard suggested split? ( for example: 30% percent of a space is good to be used for a veg room and 70% for flowering room)

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how I can have space to flower males to get pollen for seed production?
And, once my Veg room is set up I can just leave any Mom plants that are created in there for the extent of their life?

Thanks in advance for the help and responses!

Growenhaft

one after the other. first learn the basics of growing step by step.
this includes meeting the needs of cannabis in all respects. this also includes the entire climate. the more your geographic climate is different from the climate required for cannabis, the more space is required for technical devices. cultivation method possibly water treatment all of this should be known.

so you can see your questions cannot really be answered without the necessary information. and it would be advisable for you not to have these questions answered.
it is better you first acquire the basic knowledge about cannabis, then you can answer your questions on your own and ask here in the forum whether it is correct.
then you get a better response.

negative37dBA

Veteran
I will try to point you in the right direction. If you do not want to build then tents are your way forward. I myself love DIY and the build would be cool but that's just me. 15x6 is a good space to have. If it were me I would set a up a couple of 4x4 flood and drain tables or a kick ass undercurrent system for flower but you have a very limited height so that would be problematic. You probably want to go with soil in low pot with smaller topped bushy plants. You could use a 8x4 tent for flower and a 5x5 o4 4x4 for veg. Leaves you some room to clone and work and storage. What type of lighting do you have planned? I highly recommend LED now. I have fully switched over to LED and I am thrilled. You are going to have to get ventilation figured out to. Each tent needs its own supply and exhaust. You could set up some type of lung room to draw from. Where are you going to exhaust your hot air to? Outside or recirculate? You will need carbon scrubbers on anything that expels air. Cooling or heating of the space will have to be considered. Ware supply is very important. Quality is needed. A good R/O system with enough gallons to meet your need is what I would suggest. Think about UV filtration as well.
As for the breeding males for pollen. A couple great sources of info would be Vader from Ocean Grown Genetics or Medgrower1. They both have very detailed build videos on youtube about how to make a male breeding chamber. Quality info there. Just look them up on the tube. This is next level growing though and really not for the beginner but I applaud you for wanting to do it.
Electricity needs will have to be met so do some figuring on what you will need and how you will get it to you space. As far as mom plants go. You can keep them in your veg area forever if you like. You will have to constantly cut them back and root prune to keep them smaller but that is all doable. I have kept little bonsai moms for several years before no problem.
This is just a start. There is a lot to setting up a grow space as you can see and the learning curve can be kinda steep but you can do this. Keep asking questions and feel free to look back at some of my builds and grow threads for some ideas.
Here's to bringing another grow brother into the game!!
Have a great day all! Peace, negative.
Getting my CO2 on!!
fetch?photoid=17354140.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=17354140.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.5 KB ID:	17864273

fckn elv1s

one after the other. first learn the basics of growing step by step.
this includes meeting the needs of cannabis in all respects. this also includes the entire climate. the more your geographic climate is different from the climate required for cannabis, the more space is required for technical devices. cultivation method possibly water treatment all of this should be known.

so you can see your questions cannot really be answered without the necessary information. and it would be advisable for you not to have these questions answered.
it is better you first acquire the basic knowledge about cannabis, then you can answer your questions on your own and ask here in the forum whether it is correct.
then you get a better response.

Thanks for talking in circles and not answering a single question 👍🏾😂 Just as easy as you felt the need to share your condescension, you could've just not said anything and kept it moving lol. I've read a couple books on cannabis basics and the questions I asked were not answered.

fckn elv1s

I will try to point you in the right direction. If you do not want to build then tents are your way forward. I myself love DIY and the build would be cool but that's just me. 15x6 is a good space to have. If it were me I would set a up a couple of 4x4 flood and drain tables or a kick ass undercurrent system for flower but you have a very limited height so that would be problematic. You probably want to go with soil in low pot with smaller topped bushy plants. You could use a 8x4 tent for flower and a 5x5 o4 4x4 for veg. Leaves you some room to clone and work and storage. What type of lighting do you have planned? I highly recommend LED now. I have fully switched over to LED and I am thrilled. You are going to have to get ventilation figured out to. Each tent needs its own supply and exhaust. You could set up some type of lung room to draw from. Where are you going to exhaust your hot air to? Outside or recirculate? You will need carbon scrubbers on anything that expels air. Cooling or heating of the space will have to be considered. Ware supply is very important. Quality is needed. A good R/O system with enough gallons to meet your need is what I would suggest. Think about UV filtration as well.
As for the breeding males for pollen. A couple great sources of info would be Vader from Ocean Grown Genetics or Medgrower1. They both have very detailed build videos on youtube about how to make a male breeding chamber. Quality info there. Just look them up on the tube. This is next level growing though and really not for the beginner but I applaud you for wanting to do it.
Electricity needs will have to be met so do some figuring on what you will need and how you will get it to you space. As far as mom plants go. You can keep them in your veg area forever if you like. You will have to constantly cut them back and root prune to keep them smaller but that is all doable. I have kept little bonsai moms for several years before no problem.
This is just a start. There is a lot to setting up a grow space as you can see and the learning curve can be kinda steep but you can do this. Keep asking questions and feel free to look back at some of my builds and grow threads for some ideas.
Getting my CO2 on!!

Thanks for the info! The space I gave is a room in a room. My associate will be building a couple rooms in the space I mentioned. Exhaust fans, Intake Fans, Carbon Scrubber & Oscillating fans are on my grow room set up list. I plan on maintaining Outside room temperature with an air condition if possible. Breeding is next level, but honestly I'm not looking to breed. I just want to Take some pollen from the males and make some more seeds so that I can continue to grow, refine and pheno search as I get better. From what I read making seeds isn't something that's so complicated. The article I read recommended even beginners do it to keep their genetics going. It said it's basically taking pollen from the male once it's flowering and putting it into a few buds of chosen females. It said you then take the female out of the room and let the pollen set for a few hours and rinse the sexed sites with water once finished and place back into the flowering room. Anyways thanks again for the advice! I'll look into the info you shared and check out some of your grows too!

fckn elv1s

Getting my CO2 on!!

And I forgot to mention, I was going to use Metal Halide or High Pressure Sodium Lights. Why do you prefer LED now? Is it because it keeps the temperatures in your room low?

negative37dBA

Veteran
No problem and here to help. The reason I switched to led was for several reasons.
1. Same light output as a DE 1000 at 660 watts. A BTU is a BTU no matter what light it comes off of. When I can get 660 watts of heat for an equilvelent of 1000 watts of light I am all for it.
2. Power savings. Again 1000 watts of light at only 660 from the wall. I live where power is cheap..some people do not. I've seen people pay 10 times as much as I do for power so that's a big deal.
3. Coverage. The coverage of 1800 LED's spread out on a spine type set up always beats the coverage of 1 light source.
4. Light quality and quantity. LED has made major gains in the light quality department. Light quality is not first on the list, light quantity is. LED beats HID on both fronts.
5. No ducted hoods!!!! I will never miss those ever again...heavy cumbersome and always in the way.
6. Ability to dim. These have a total adjustable POT to full off if you want. You lose lamp life if you dim a 1000 watter and you only have a couple options.
Those are the main ones. Plus the fact that I could build it myself for half the price of a Fluence light.
That said no problem with HID...I have grown many fine crops under HID. They are cheaper to set up but cost more in the long run with the power consumption and bulb replacements. You will have some height restrictions where you are at...6 feet right? Take that into consideration when deciding on a light(s).
Pollen and seeding. Did not mean to say you cannot do it...the basic principle is very easy and you can get some great results. I have made 1000's of seeds in the past. The difficulty will be in keeping a sealed room that will not allow the male pollen to travel to your other plants...not good.
I will be very interested in seeing your progress here. Looking forward to a room full of big happy plants and monster cola's
Have a great day. Peace, negative.

fckn elv1s

No problem and here to help. The reason I switched to led was for several reasons.
1. Same light output as a DE 1000 at 660 watts. A BTU is a BTU no matter what light it comes off of. When I can get 660 watts of heat for an equilvelent of 1000 watts of light I am all for it.
2. Power savings. Again 1000 watts of light at only 660 from the wall. I live where power is cheap..some people do not. I've seen people pay 10 times as much as I do for power so that's a big deal.
3. Coverage. The coverage of 1800 LED's spread out on a spine type set up always beats the coverage of 1 light source.
4. Light quality and quantity. LED has made major gains in the light quality department. Light quality is not first on the list, light quantity is. LED beats HID on both fronts.
5. No ducted hoods!!!! I will never miss those ever again...heavy cumbersome and always in the way.
6. Ability to dim. These have a total adjustable POT to full off if you want. You lose lamp life if you dim a 1000 watter and you only have a couple options.
Those are the main ones. Plus the fact that I could build it myself for half the price of a Fluence light.
That said no problem with HID...I have grown many fine crops under HID. They are cheaper to set up but cost more in the long run with the power consumption and bulb replacements. You will have some height restrictions where you are at...6 feet right? Take that into consideration when deciding on a light(s).
Pollen and seeding. Did not mean to say you cannot do it...the basic principle is very easy and you can get some great results. I have made 1000's of seeds in the past. The difficulty will be in keeping a sealed room that will not allow the male pollen to travel to your other plants...not good.
I will be very interested in seeing your progress here. Looking forward to a room full of big happy plants and monster cola's
Have a great day. Peace, negative.

I appreciate all the info you shared. You said a lot in this post, and I'm taking time to break down all that you said. Thanks for the insight!

The article I read said to take the pollinated female out the room to let the pollen set in for a few hours and rinsing the sexed site with water afterwards will prevent pollen from having an effect on other females after put back in the room. Have you ever heard about this? Do you know it to be true?

And thanks for your encouragement. I look forward to a successful grow too!!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The article I read said to take the pollinated female out the room to let the pollen set in for a few hours and rinsing the sexed site with water afterwards will prevent pollen from having an effect on other females after put back in the room. Have you ever heard about this? Do you know it to be true?
... that would be correct.

Some folks have stated to use multiple tents... of which one of them could/would be your flop house. e.g you isolate your male there and when he is ready to blow his load, introduce your girl to him. Nature will look after the rest. Washing down the plant (water kills pollen) before reintroducing the girl to her mates. The important thing is to have a totally hermetic environment so you don't risk x pollination. e.g if you can separate your "breeding chamber" from the rest, which includes exhausting outdoors. The last place you visit (daily maintenance) is your breeding chamber, and after you are done, strip off your clothes and take a shower.

My veg 2x2x3' veg tent and 3x3x6' main tent are located in the basement, while my flop house 2x2x6' would be in my attached but not heated garage. Therefore I would plan any breeding for my fall run vice winter.

That being said... if you don't want to breed the entire plant, allow your male to blow its load and manually pollinate a section of your girl, then destroy your male. Again, wash down your girl before placing her back with her mates. :tiphat:

fckn elv1s

... that would be correct.

Some folks have stated to use multiple tents... of which one of them could/would be your flop house. e.g you isolate your male there and when he is ready to blow his load, introduce your girl to him. Nature will look after the rest. Washing down the plant (water kills pollen) before reintroducing the girl to her mates. The important thing is to have a totally hermetic environment so you don't risk x pollination. e.g if you can separate your "breeding chamber" from the rest, which includes exhausting outdoors. The last place you visit (daily maintenance) is your breeding chamber, and after you are done, strip off your clothes and take a shower.

My veg 2x2x3' veg tent and 3x3x6' main tent are located in the basement, while my flop house 2x2x6' would be in my attached but not heated garage. Therefore I would plan any breeding for my fall run vice winter.

That being said... if you don't want to breed the entire plant, allow your male to blow its load and manually pollinate a section of your girl, then destroy your male. Again, wash down your girl before placing her back with her mates. :tiphat:

Thanks for the confirmation and info. Much appreciated!!!