What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Backup generator options

JJ Lowe

Looking for some suggestions on backup generators for the grow room.

The grow is around 30 min away from the house and I can’t always get to it quickly when the power gets cut. Which is happening more frequently these days here in SoCal.

id like to setup a backup gen with auto start and transfer switch to power a separate sub panel with a 3ton minisplit, quest dehumidifier, and only a few lights to keep all the plant light cycles in check. So around 10kw at most. The outages usually last between 12-48 hours.

the gentecs looks relatively easy and affordable. Any other suggestions?

thanks!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Is it practical to run a gen on nat gas thereif you have it? Otherwise propane. So the subpanel is the essential buss? Maybe some battery UPC backup for the lights to handle the transition

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Might have hot re-strike problems with some lighting. Cannabis is very sensitive to light, so just a few LED's dotted about can keep them awake. Making a UPS a very viable option for your lighting. Extract to. Not Aircon though. Not really...

You could put the aircon on a more traditional engine based backup, but keep some lighting on UPS so it's truly not interrupted.

Cut's are getting more frequent here to. About 10 in the last 3 years, not just 1 or 2.

OutdoorBoy

Looking for some suggestions on backup generators for the grow room(list of).

The grow is around 30 min away from the house and I can’t always get to it quickly when the power gets cut. Which is happening more frequently these days here in SoCal.

id like to setup a backup gen with auto start and transfer switch to power a separate sub panel with a 3ton minisplit, quest dehumidifier, and only a few lights to keep all the plant light cycles in check. So around 10kw at most. The outages usually last between 12-48 hours.

the gentecs looks relatively easy and affordable. Any other suggestions?

thanks!

Hey and sorry for the up! What did you choose finally? Isn't the propane generator a preferable option??

Last edited:

Three Berries

lycan-block2-icon.png

The Renogy LYCAN 5000 Power Box is the most powerful all-in-one energy storage system ever, specially designed for emergencies,
power outages, and off-grid homes.

https://www.renogy.com/lycan?utm_ca...uzBdoNyRKgaXIStA_qvq8k6HYLQaHoD6pp0gk=.HLdMzK

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Three Berries
I don't know if that will ever come to market. It's a flash from the past, and still not here.
It's a bit messy for me in the UK. We have that sort of power at individual socket outlets beside your bed. They seem to think you would want an electrician, but here, it's just a portable appliance. £400 in leisure batteries and a £150 UPS on a trolley. I understand they want to use Lithium-Ion, but still... You can save £350 by pre-ordering. They must want thousands.

Three Berries

Three Berries
I don't know if that will ever come to market. It's a flash from the past, and still not here.
It's a bit messy for me in the UK. We have that sort of power at individual socket outlets beside your bed. They seem to think you would want an electrician, but here, it's just a portable appliance. £400 in leisure batteries and a £150 UPS on a trolley. I understand they want to use Lithium-Ion, but still... You can save £350 by pre-ordering. They must want thousands.

The big thing around here now with the farmers and grain elevators is 10kw solar system. Usually 10-20 panels depending on size. They have deep pockets and can afford a big battery. I would guess that one listed is close to $5k US. I worked in a battery factory for years. We developed the AGM style industrial batteries back in the early '70s.....

Latest posts

Latest posts