What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheap useful gizmo to monitor temp and humidity remotely

bs0

Just wanted to share since I've been happy with the purchase. The Govee Wifi Hygrometer H5179 connects to your wifi and takes measurements every 2 minutes or so. You can look at your phone to see a continuous graph of both temp & humidity for like the last month and you can set it to notify you when conditions fall outside of specific criteria. This little guy has helped me out with A/C malfunction, reminder to empty dehuey, and spotting humidity spikes I didn't know were happening. All that for $35 where all the smart garden stuff starts at like $1,000. I think that the graphing of the temp would be worth that alone, the alerts are above and beyond. Also, needs no plug, runs on 4 AAA, and so far has gone 5 months without needing new batteries.

thailer

Another grower also likes his. I’ve just been watching him use it and if it holds up a year I will get myself a couple.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I guess, without any internet connection, you could still create a wifi network using a domestic router from an old contract. People use a phone and wireless printer via there home hub, so it must work. These routers are nearly always a nice safe 12v, so people with a bunch of polytunnels could get onboard.

Can you just go phone to device though. That is all I would really want.

I have spent similar on a set of 4 temp/rh units that work alone, but a big weather station type unit displayed all 4 together on the counter. No logging though. That is cheap for logging.

ledtime

Just wanted to share since I've been happy with the purchase. The Govee Wifi Hygrometer H5179 connects to your wifi and takes measurements every 2 minutes or so. You can look at your phone to see a continuous graph of both temp & humidity for like the last month and you can set it to notify you when conditions fall outside of specific criteria. This little guy has helped me out with A/C malfunction, reminder to empty dehuey, and spotting humidity spikes I didn't know were happening. All that for $35 where all the smart garden stuff starts at like $1,000. I think that the graphing of the temp would be worth that alone, the alerts are above and beyond. Also, needs no plug, runs on 4 AAA, and so far has gone 5 months without needing new batteries.

I really like this. I just chalk it up to....if I'm not getting any updates every two mins for an extended period of time then the girls need to be checked on. I don't lose power very often, but when I do internet goes too. Always means I have to go take a look.

JJ Lowe

I’m using the Ecowitt off Amazon. Similar price with the addition of soil sensors. You can have up to like 10 sensors per device. Useful to see if your plants are getting watered.
I use a burner hotspot from cricket to monitor everything remotely as the grow is 20min away from the house.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The hotspot may allow you to hook up an XVim security cam, which would give you remote video, 8 cams, 1080P. Send you a message when the alarms you set are tripped. See if the lights are on, see the water reservoir, doors, and I like the plant views. Good system

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!

Why? WTF did folks do before electronics. Think about that for a second. Your entire life is driven by your phone? Get a life! :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
lol

I might buy one just to see how it works. How it can log in without a keyboard, or how my phone can force a connection while other peoples can't is baffling me.
I would love to leave a phone and camera at an outdoor location, with a big battery. The apps to use inbuilt cameras without the battery drain of a hotspot don't seem to be free anymore and most are not rated well.

Legalcdn

I was gifted an inkbird ibs-th2 plus version from a inkbird giveaway. Bluetooth, 98ft and historical/real time data points. You can use the builtin temp and humidity sensor or use the external 6ft external temp and humidity probe. You can manually calibrate temp/humidity. I presume using the salt slurry test for humidity. I find the bluetooth sucks battery life a little and you have to enable location on your phone as a google SDK requirement. I was not too keen on the location crap. Overall, nice toy for the room.

Biologist

Another vote for Ecowitt here. Really good system that served me for quite some time and that I still have hooked up as backup to my Aroya system I have now. You can never have too much data! The soil moisture sensors are capacitive so they work great and are accurate if you calibrate your 0 and 100 with dry substrate and saturated.