What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How-to: wall mount fan in a grow tent.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey everyone :wave:

Thought I'd take a moment to share my method for adding a wall mount fan in a grow tent.

The main issue is that the poles are not large enough to secure a fan mount. To get around this, I've instead mounted the fan on an electrical conduit, which is then secured to the pole. (props for the conduit idea to Bud Bug from his Grow tent mod thread)

Here's the conduit screwed on to the center pole in my tent:

I had to use longer screws than the conduit cap came with to get it onto the pole securely. I used #8 1'' screws for metal. They sell little bags of these for about a dollar at Home Depot and prolly wherever else you can buy the 1/2'' conduit piece.

You'll also want to grab a small half round or round file if you want to use the heavy duty conduit. The cheap plastic ones slide on fine, but the nicer ones have a bit of metal in the ends you will need to file out.

The other side with the mount screwed on:

All-done:

I'm using the Infinite Breeze fan, which oscillates in a W pattern. On the lowest setting, its moving tons of air around the tent and is really quiet! I had a couple of smaller clip on oscillating fans, and while they had decent coverage, they lacked the power to really move air without blasting the plants themselves.

The box is really cute too :D

Hope that helps anyone wondering how to add a nice fan to their tent without giving up the floor space for a stand.

Good tip!

Is that a sun hut? Did you have to re-sew any of the stitching at the zippers? I had to sew for about an hour after unboxing, the stitch job was so bad it was ridiculous. I also had to bore out a few of the pole holes. Not impressed. How u say, MADE IN CHINA.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good tip!

Is that a sun hut? Did you have to re-sew any of the stitching at the zippers? I had to sew for about an hour after unboxing, the stitch job was so bad it was ridiculous. I also had to bore out a few of the pole holes. Not impressed. How u say, MADE IN CHINA.

Aw thanks :D

Yeah its a Sun Hut. And yes, I did have some stitching to repair, one of the side zippers and had a big portion of the back corner seam come loose too.

Oh well, a box of safety pins and roll of monster tape later and we're good to go, but man, that was frustrating.

The connection of the center zipper on the bottom is beginning to disturb me too.

Not impressed either, wish I'd spent a little more and got the equivalent size Jardin tent, but I did get an insane deal on the Sun Hut.

The frame is very strong though, which I am digging now that I have a can50 hanging in there.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Great tip! I'm still baffled as to a "w" oscillation unless it's just two "y"'s put together... but I am really high! Maybe I'll pack another and see if I can get it :D

B

bipotato

Thanks for sharing that idea!

I'm thinking of getting one of these huts myself, but maybe dropping a piece of rebar into the vertical poles just incase, after seeing what happened to opt1c's hut.

(By the way the bottom screw is stripped. :D)

The frame is very strong though, which I am digging now that I have a can50 hanging in there.
Really? I've got Magnum XXXL reflectors and they are causing the poles to bow pretty badly. I'm worried.

I'm thinking of getting one of these huts myself
If you live in the Denver area I will sell you mine for cheap in a few weeks after I harvest. This POS is definitely going on CL. Unless you are a professional seamstress and a skilled metal worker, I would advise you to go in a different direction. Personally, I would gladly spend TWICE as much on a quality product. Now that I have confirmation from bojangles that his tent came the same as mine, I can safely state with reasonable certainty that Sun Huts are JUNK! They make those poor little chinese women stitch too fast and I have no idea what atrocities are being commited in their steel factories to produce the kind of junk they call poles...good god.

B

bipotato

Considering how well you marketed it, how about I'll offer you $12?

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Really? I've got Magnum XXXL reflectors and they are causing the poles to bow pretty badly. I'm worried.

Yeah, although I do have it supported by 2 poles, and yea they bow a little, but I don't believe they will give out.

It's also 38 Special model, which is a bit lighter than the regular Can50.

Still, its a big step up from the Can33 and I prolly wouldn't feel comfortable hanging it in a tent without metal corners.

Was the can 33 insufficient? I've got a can 33 right now that seems to be doing a pretty good job. But I'm not running any truly stinky strains.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I recently stepped up from using the can33 in a 5x5 Jardin, and with double the light, I wanted the option to run my exhaust fan (6'' vortex) at full speed in case it gets too hot in there, which would be too much for the 33.

As it has worked out, I keep the exhaust fan at about the same speed, right around half, little boost but not much, so perhaps the Can50 was overkill.

Heh, it was a real pain to get up, but I do like having this giant filter.

But yea, the can33 always treated me right... I use my old ones in my veg and trim/clone tents in fact, and they are going strong with like 2 & 3 years of use on them. Starting to get that funny distorted carbon smell from the really old one, but it's definitely still scrubbing the odor from my veg tent just fine. All about not overloading them to get the true lifespan, imo.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Couple pics of the Can50 38 Special so you guys can see just how it hangs in there since it came up -

Been hangin' tight a few months now, so I think this will work, tho yea, this is likely the limit of what filter can be hung in one of these tents :D

Norkali

Never spending hundreds on a tent after seeing opt1cs thread...no offense, but 2x4's are the way for me....even if it is a bitch to put up and tear down...

That bowing makes me nervous Bo....makes me wonder how well those poles put up with fatigue...

Otherwise things look nice and awesome tip!

Yeah, that's about how much bowing my poles are showing too. You aren't too worried doesn't sound like. You could be ok, but I'm not taking a chance. I have one buddy with a Jardin and and another with a growlab. They can hang from their poles. There is absolutely no way I could hang from the sun hut's poles, they would snap like twigs. So, I'm getting a Jardin. As for Optic's tent collapse, I think he had way too much negative pressure. I have both the filter and the fan inside the tent which reduces that problem dramatically. I have seen both of the tents I mentioned previously in action and there would be no reason to be concerned imho. Definitely worth the extra couple hundred bucks!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I'm getting a Jardin. As for Optic's tent collapse, I think he had way too much negative pressure. I have both the filter and the fan inside the tent which reduces that problem dramatically. I have seen both of the tents I mentioned previously in action and there would be no reason to be concerned imho. Definitely worth the extra couple hundred bucks!

:yeahthats

:yes:

reddy1

ICMag Donor
very cool idea, wish i found this page a long time ago. i mounted to the ceiling and the fans didn't like it and started making weird sounds after a few months.

Classic Seeds

Veteran
thanks for a great way to solve a problem with grow tents those clip fans just do not work very well to keep it stirred up in my little tent for open pollenations when i want to do one and i hate losing floor space to a floor fan aloha cls