What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any of you guys got UV Ozone gen' experience ??

Haggis123

I got myself a baby Uvonair UV ozone generator....but am now unsure if I can use it the way I want to.
I basicaly want to use it in a micro cab, by boxing it in...and having air blown in one side and sucked out the other by PC fans.
What I want to know is - do UV ozone gens only clean the air that actually comes into contact with the UV bulb or would clean any air that was blown into the box?

Thanks

Haggis

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Do you have specs on that ozone gen? Thing about ozone, if you have enough of it, it kills all of the odor completely. Problem is, it isn't safe to breathe at those levels so ozone should be vented outside and not in your living area. Smaller ozone generators that don't exceed safe levels for humans, don't kill all of the odor. It will likely reduce the odor but I doubt the UV style generator will even come close to a carbon scrubber for your application.

My understanding of UV ozone generators is that the light from the bulb does the work not the bulb itself. If the contaminates come into the light they will be neutralized, or so they say. Personally I believe that UV is not as effective as corona discharge for ozone production.

FrostyGreen

I agree that ozone should be vented outside. If you don't have it on a timer the scent of the ozone can make things even more suspicous. This will depend on the specs of your ozone gen. Ozone is produced after the air passes over the bulb, but can be dispensed in the air using a fan. Carbon scrubbers are really the best route. Be creative and build one! Alot of micro scubber threads here. Good luck!

Haggis123

Thanks for the reply's guy's.
I plan on keeping the grow box outdoors....so no real worries in ozone levels getting to high, but thanks for the concerns.

Jessesun

Principle of ultraviolet ozone generator disinfection:

Ultraviolet Ozone Generator This type of ozone generator uses ultraviolet rays of a specific wavelength (185mm) to irradiate oxygen molecules in the air to partially ionize them into oxygen atoms, which in turn combine with oxygen molecules to form ozone.

Why can ozone clean the air? Because ozone is extremely unstable, 61% of it decays into oxygen in one hour. In its decay process, first of all, the covalent bond between an oxygen atom in the ozone molecule and the ozone molecule is broken. These oxygen atoms have extremely strong oxidizing properties. , It can kill almost all microorganisms, bacteria, and viruses in the air. Of course, the concentration should be sufficient, and then the oxygen atoms will combine into oxygen in pairs.

Your UV-type ozone generator has a very low concentration, so don't worry. The safety standard is 0.1ppm 8-hour exposure, this is the American ozone human body standard (the concentration of ozone in the air is 0.1ppm=2.144mg/m3)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It's actually quite easy to over-do ozone. Even the very smallest of units require you to not be present. The only real application is within public toilets, where exposure duration is short.

When used in an extract system, There needs to be a considerable contact time. Longer duct runs generally accomplish this.

It doesn't get a lot of use because it sounds good, but is difficult to make work. I have one in my extract, but I know it's of little use. It's just comforting to know where the smell drifts, so does the ozone that may reduce it further. It's one saving grace is that it still works at the RH filters start failing at. I have a 100mm of carbon not the usual 30mm hobby or 50mm standard. At 65% though, it's coming through. So the ozone is just a bit of extra help... that does very little.

I have another that floats in my tank, to give it a bit of a clean sometimes. That has been a good investment.

Jessesun

Three ways of ozone production

1. Corona discharge
2. Ultraviolet radiation
3. Electrolyzed water

The ozone concentration produced by ultraviolet radiation is very low, which basically does not meet the requirements of actual sterilization applications. The corona discharge uses electric field strength E=U/D and electric heating P=I2R, which can produce a concentration of 80-120 mg per cubic meter. ozone. The key is the application of ozone, how to control the concentration, precise control, automatic and precise control, like through PLC

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Not sure what you mean by applications. UV sterilisation is relied upon by millions.

Jessesun

You got me wrong. I meant that the CO3 by UV is a little bit low. CO3 is concentration of ozone. Surely, UV as a kind of disinfectant is widely used for many aspects