What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GreenHouse = Increase Security

J0sh1

Veteran
Hi all :wave: first time posting in the forums and decided to go ahead and start in the Greenhouse part since this will probably be a sub-section of the forum I will most likely spend a lot of time on.

I currently own a couple of acres down in the caribbean and run my own hydro lettuce business from my home. (I have always hated working hard for someone else to gourge on my efforts, that is my I love working out of my own backyard without the hassle of some ass of a boss making life a living misery).

"The Office"
5345309_1473f7f0.jpg

Anyways Im planning to build a small greenhouse to start growing some buds for myself and my close family. Reason I had not done this before is because I was 100% with getting the hydro biz up and going and now that all that is finally up and running I can start with the Marijuana.

I would like to say that down here the conditions are OPTIMAL for outdoor growing. Any kind of strain would blossom here but I can't risk losing my land/business by getting pinched by some LEO's pigs so for that reason im going to go with the greenhouse, for the added bonus of security.

Im wondering which strains could be good for greenhouses? I was thinking of trying out some Jamaican Pearl since conditions in Jamaica or virtually identical to those here.

Anyone had any experience with caribbean strains growing on a greenhouse?

Last edited:
G

My first question would be; How often do you have to be inspected and to what extent do they do it? Do they wander the property, just the grow areas, etc...?
I'm sure you've already considered this but I'm curious.....

As far as strains; you'll have to wait for a more experienced growerfor that question. Sorry!

J.

hogwild

if your planning on running a legitimate business you will need a business license, if you want to sell fruit at a fruit stand that is removable and in front of your home, thats another story. I sell some of my excess veggies to neighbors and i plan this year to have a roadside stand since im growing at a much larger scale. I would keep the cannabis in a black plastic seperated partition in the rear of your growing area, make it look like some pipes go to the area and such so that people think its reservoirs and pumps etc.

J0sh1

Veteran
As of the current day I have not had any problems with local agriculture branch of the goverment. But then again I have done everything to the tee in terms of paperwork, fees and permits. I would not be to worried if all a random agriculture inspector wanted to check out the hydro part of my farm.

Thing is I cater to a small selection of gourment chefs and some up-tight restaurants around my area. So im not going to be causing a stiring in the agricultural world to draw a lot of unwanted attention.

I have another section which is a small orchard where I raise orchids, heliconias and bonsai, i was planning on setting up the greenhouse in that area since its pretty separete from the income producing part of the farm and if a random inspector wants to check out the farm he has no business going into that specific area.

Last edited:

FOF

You've got license to posess and do everything but everything that seems so shady about many other growers. Sweet.

As far as what genetics you should grow, mix it up!!!! No doubt no single strain could bring you as much glee as a medley of gourmet ganj. Native-ish landraces are essential when you've got such a climate as yours (Jamaican Pearl, Santa Marta Gold, Malawi, et al.**). But you've gotta get some good hash plants and hybrids in the garden, too; there's more than a few that are worth your while.

**Check out Brazillian Seed Company. Zamalito, one of two co-owners of the company, is a fanatic for equatorial landrace Sativas. Hell, PM him here at IC; I'm sure he'll be excited to share some words with you...

Last edited:

Boomer89

J0SH you are one lucky man..

As for what to grow, well, thats upto you. What kind of high do you like? Couchlock, or a head high? And how much potency would you like your plants to have? If your all about having a high percentage of THC, then grow any type of "white strain". White Widow, White Rhino, Snow White, etc....

If you like chillen when your stoned, then you want an indica. Normally, you wont yeild as much as you would with sativa's, but i've smoked some killer homegrown indica.. Sometimes good things come in small packages, ya know? Well.. Except for sex, lmfao.

If your more into smoking and partying or just want to have alot of energy, then you want a sativa. These babies GROW. They take alot longer to flower then indica's do, thats why there alot harder to come by. Its very hard to grow a sativa when you live up north and the grow seasons are short. Living in the caribbean is perfect for growing sativa though.

Most strains are a mix of indica/sativa though, so its not like you only have two choices.

Oh yea, do you plan on using a hydro system to grow aswell? That would be killer..

And make sure you have some vents in the greenhouse. Im not sure how hot it is down where you are, but you don't want your greenhouse to be above 90 degrees. Infact, thats even alittle high. 80's are ideal.

J0sh1

Veteran
Thanks for the responses all.

Well as for strains im going to go ahead and grow some nice sativas in soil. Im going to go ahead and go 100% Organic on the Sativa strains that I choose. (I checked out BSC and I really liked his stock, im probably going to PM Zamalito later, my girlfriend is Brazilian and im planning to surprise her with a few sativas native to her homeland)

As for Indicas, I will grow those on a Hydro setup im going to start building today. Small setup really nothing to big.

As of now this is the list of strains I am going to be cultivating

Sensi Seeds - Jamaican Pearl and Northern Lights
Paradise Seeds - Nebula and Belladona
Refeerman - Cherry Bomb #2

From BSC I am going to order quite a few of his strains but I am especially interested in Tropical Treat Special and Brazilian Lemon

Nice choices.........cherry bomb looks to be a on the up and up........I was looking at Refeermans forums and he sure works with large numbers.

J0sh1

Veteran
subliminal said:
are those plants any good for smoking?

LOL! No, they are not good for smoking, although they are really good for the mind/body/spirit. As much as we love smoking some homegrown grass its the same feeling about eating a meal that you have grown yourself and know exactly what has been put into it.

Anyways those plants bring in a part of my daily $$$ so i can't argue with that. :sasmokin:

LORD BENIS

Kudos J0sh1,
So what lettuce strains are you growing? I know it's a cool climate crop, do you ever have any troulbe with it bolting on ya? I tried Buttercrunch in bio-buckets a while back but I don't think that the whole DWC works very well with lettuce.
Congrats with the whole set up man, you're an insiration.
I'll be on you like stink on a monkey. :lurk:

J0sh1

Veteran
Currently I have Green Romaine, Red Romaine, Green Ice and Baby Green Leaf are the ones im currently growing.

I also have tomatoes and green bell peppers. As of today I have yet to have any major problems with the lettuce climate wise. I live in a place with fresh cool mountain air, plenty of fresh rainwater and the right combinations of nutrients.

Its a blessing really, and people would be surprise how enjoyable and simple tending a hydro garden like that is. And it allows me to have plenty of free time for travel and plenty of time for myself which is something that a lot of people lack.

I generally encourage like-minded individuals to give the agro-business a go. But word of advice this is not a career for the greedy, money-hungry fast living type I would say. It a safe business because no matter what people are always going to need to eat and if you offer a high end quality product made with effort, wisdom and love you will always find willing customers.

watermelon

i would just hide it somehwere on you land, plant some big plants that hide a fence to surround it. hide the entrance and people wont notice a little bit if land missing on a big peice.

CC Rider

ello J0sh1, thats a mighty fine set up you got going there. i myself grow many different greens, but not at such a large scale as you, and not with a hydro set up. I'm actully concidering getting into the agro biz in a few years once im done with school and all, so this is quite an inspiration to me.
good luck on finding some strains, but if i was you i was most deffinitly go fer some pure sativas!! take advantage of your beautiful climate!!

CC

chosen

Veteran
Going outdoors a greenhouse would help to say the least. I sell at the local farmers markets from time to time. Some purple Bells, specialty tomatoes and even micro-greens because they can be done easily under fluoros. Living lettuce is the one that gets me. I can't believe the price for simple lettuce that can be done floating or in perlite for next to nothing.

Hey JOsh1 ! looks like you have a BIG greenhouse there !!
Jeez man, I would love to have such a setup. Your lettuce looks pretty good to by the way.

I just wanted to stop by and say that Sensi Star,and any Diesel are wonderful strains to grow. I've got some Sensi Star going right now, and the smell is to die/for. Sweet uplifting smell, that leaves you wanting for more. Diesels always have good flavor to man.

Good LUCK !

:joint: :wave:

Grownz

Hey, hey!! You are a very lucky man josh!! I would kill for that climate to grow some long flowering sativas! Congrats with the biz, you must have worked mighty hard.
One thing i've always wondered about hydro vegs on that level is how do you get such a customer base with the resturants you're supplying with vegs? I'd guess great tasting lettuce is part of it!
Good luck with the grow and i look foward to seeing these sativas you've got lined up.

Stonerguy

How many buckets do you use for your lettuce? Do you have a perpetual harvest for them? Sounds like a hell of a idea im sure you fetch a high price with your hydro lettuce at those high end resturaunts.

N

Neptune

let me get you off on the right foot, brother.

no, no, and no.

You live in the carribean, you will experience mold with all of these strains. I mean, crop loss. You must get some local genetics brother, no seed company can really serve you, as most everything sold from seedbanks has some amount of skunk/afghani/northern lights in it. All these things will lead to big chunk buds that are ideal for mold growth. You must grow Sativa, and the more local, the mo betta.