No announcement yet.

Greenhouse Upgrades - More Auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your plants look big now! I bet you can fill every square inch of that thing and flip it soon. You will probably yield more then last year because the sun will be better. Mid summer always yields the best.

That sounds like a good idea for light blocking. It's a very small space. You could just use a little 6" inline fan connected to a short piece of rigid duct with a bend in it. Paint the inside of the duct black.

I use a cheap 8" vivosun for a 12x40

Comment

That was last summer. First grow in the GH. It was full.

I'v got allot to figure out before pulling the trigger on this one. Getting done early and flipping based on plant size are two huge plusses. Having that much covering unsecured seems like it could be problematic. We get some serious storms here. Maybe if the side rollups were blackout only and the top had a rollup went over the clear film that would go from the mid divider up?

Comment

I don't think you will have a problem at all. 12ft wide is pretty small. You should at least put strapping to hold down though. "Batting" tape is a super cheap flexible strap that stretches for securing greenhouse plastic. U could just use rope. U run it from the base board to your wiggle wire. It stops roll ups from flopping around.

You can also use roll lock channel on your baseboards. When it rolls all the waydown and gets to the end of the plastic, it starts to roll in the other direction and locks into the channel. They use it in that rovero video i just posted if u want to see how it works in action. It's not super cheap, but it's not crazy expensive.

Really just the rope or batten tape will do.

Comment

Simple is better. Good ideas. Thanks.

Got the greenhouse opened for the spring today. Roll ups were secured with wiggle wire and motors removed. New automation is up and running for everything except nutes and water. Redesigned nute vat and pump setup. Basically, it will pump teas through the irrigation lines prior to watering. There's an aeration stone in there and I'm looking for a motorized setup to mix it up periodically. In the past a big paint mixer was used on a drill.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeez View Post
            Simple is better. Good ideas. Thanks.

Got the greenhouse opened for the spring today. Roll ups were secured with wiggle wire and motors removed. New automation is up and running for everything except nutes and water. Redesigned nute vat and pump setup. Basically, it will pump teas through the irrigation lines prior to watering. There's an aeration stone in there and I'm looking for a motorized setup to mix it up periodically. In the past a big paint mixer was used on a drill.
            Check out those aquarium power heads. They are just Like little propellers that mount to the bottom or side. I use them to keep barrels agitated.

Comment

I use a 15 gallon barrel with allot of solids in the tea, bat guano, fish guts, epsoma etc and let it stew for a while. It gets pretty rich and thick at the bottom. Ideally it all gets chopped up, somewhat composted, and in suspension. I was thinking of going heavier. Maybe something like this 6 speed mortar mixer.

Comment

What about just throwing a dirty water sump in it with no hose attached.

How do you run that sludge through your drip?!

Comment

Real good idea! I guess it should be able to handle the muck.

I use home made watering heads. 3/4 pvc pipe capped at one end with threaded adapters (NPT - GHT) at the other connected to garden hose and then manually controllable manifolds. The heads have 1/4" and 1/8" holes drilled in them and are held in place with 6" garden staples. I have used top hat grommets in them with 1/4" lines for better distribution but it was over kill.

Comment

Iphone App works perfect.

Comment

Damn that's a good idea. No way for that to clog. I have never Not used drip emitters. My spaces are pretty big though, i don't know if could make it even without running a crazy amount off zones. But it would be really rad to just pump whatever u want in there without even filter worry.
                      I only use synthetic through my lines.

Comment

There's a SS screen on the nute pump feed. It's about 1" round and 8" long. It's never more than 50% clogged at rez cleanings. Last year I used a telescoping watering wand, hand watering. The wand had a pinhole screen that needed cleaning every second or third use. 1/4 & 1/8" holes should work well. I grow for myself and share so organic is important. Running synthetic is allot easier and gives better yields.

If the nutes are still somewhat chunky when they get to the plant, it's all good. That dirty submersible pump should do a good job working on a regular cycle and putting it all into suspension. Putting some banjo fittings with a hose on the pump would make rez cleaning a breeze.

Comment

There's a SS screen on the nute pump feed. It's about 1" round and 8" long. It's never more than 50% clogged at rez cleanings. Last year I used a telescoping watering wand, hand watering. The wand had a pinhole screen that needed cleaning every second or third use. 1/4 & 1/8" holes should work well. I grow for myself and share so organic is important. Running synthetic is allot easier and gives better yields.

If the nutes are still somewhat chunky when they get to the plant, it's all good. That dirty submersible pump should do a good job working on a regular cycle and putting it all into suspension. Putting some banjo fittings with a hose on the pump would make rez cleaning a breeze.
                          Do you think the holes in your drip are big enough to let guano through with no filter.

I don't do compost tea ever, but sometimes I'll throw some guano, solution grade langbeinite, solution grade gypsum in a tea brewer, run the giant tea brewer to mix it and keep it from settling, and pump it out through a hose. Try to keep as much of the solids as i can. I don't want to loose the insoluble N from the guano. It's got to be half of the N

Comment

The Epsoma granules are bigger than the guano. I'm sure it will work well. Thinking more about the watering heads, it would just as easy to put male threaded adapters on the NOT hose end with screw on caps for clean outs. PVC parts are cheep. I use rectangular pots so the watering heads can go the length of the pot.

Thinking more about holding down the blackout covers. Ratchet strap ends could get the strap tension perfect for holding the cover in place without restricting the roll movement.

Comment

The Epsoma granules are bigger than the guano. I'm sure it will work well. Thinking more about the watering heads, it would just as easy to put male threaded adapters on the NOT hose end with screw on caps for clean outs. PVC parts are cheep. I use rectangular pots so the watering heads can go the length of the pot.

Thinking more about holding down the blackout covers. Ratchet strap ends could get the strap tension perfect for holding the cover in place without restricting the roll movement.
                              Ratchet straps would definitely work well. I have used the cheap straps that don't ratchet. You just pull it tight and it clips.

I'm curious how it goes for you this year. I have been thinking about moving back east. Carona virus changed everything. I think i want to be with family. I think i want to retire and what the hell am i going to do out here without a job. Might as well be around my family.

Comment

Here in Massachusetts I think you could do two grows per year with light depp, a pellet stove and a small indoor operation for getting them started. I have not heard of anyone getting hassled for being over their 12 mature (flowering) plant limit. The amount of privacy where you live is a big factor. Last year went well for me and this year will be better with less work and minimal electric usage. The black market is alive and well with dispensary prices over $400.

Comment

Working...
                                X