What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diy steel hoop house.

CrushnYuba

Where to you buy one of these sweet heaters Yuba?

I can't seem to find what you have pictured.

Thanks

Ebay or Amazon. Ebay is cheaper. You will see them under 100 different brand names. You will see them as a kit with fuel tank, pump, all the piping and ducting. Or you can get them in all in one units easier to install. Try searching "diesel parking heater 5kw".
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2021NEW-WARMTOO-Diesel-Air-Heater-8KW-12V-All-In-One-Car-Parking-Heater-Truck-RV/224205653255?hash=item3433b2c507:g:0LwAAOSw2UpfpMZQ

There are all sorts of different kits. I would get one with a digital controller that has thermostat. And remote control.

There is a group on Facebook called Chinese diesel heater. Has everything you could want to know about installing them.

CrushnYuba

Thank you for this thread
At this part of the world, a beautiful steel hoop greenhouse of about the same size of the first post would cost 3500u$s and this is luxury only large vegetable producers can afford
Here the only kind of plants that will grow well are sativas, and the only way to finnish them here is light dep.

A greenhouse for home using the cheapest material around here is eucaliptus wood and this is the kind of construction which is common at this part of the world and by far, the cheapest available, bases have been fixed with concrete so it will be strong to stand against tough winds
View Image View Image

The materials used for 3 walls is transparent nylon 150 microns, white shadow mesh for the roof and for this wall a triple folded shadow mesh. The white shadow mesh allows ventilation and allows me to make rain inside to cool the greenhouse when too hot. It is very windy here, it is an area of eolic energy generators so I feel to have enough ventilation just with the mesh in the roof
View Image View Image
This is the triple folded shadow mesh wall, on top the wire to hang the light dep nylon

View Image
I am really interested in light dep
Nobody ever heard of light dep here, people think I am crazy and maybe they are right
Master CrushnYuba, I think I am using the same nylon I see on your last post. The one I am using is 150 micron and I use it as curtain which I pull up and down with a simple rope and a sheave
What I have seen in videos and pictures seems to be very heavy, like 30-50 kilos to pull on the light dep nylon cover
To pull up and down a wall of the nylon is very light and simple to do, I thought I would have to divide the light dep wall curtain in 2 so it would be lighter, but I am surprised it is so light

I am discovering I have a very wide thermal amplitude. It goes at this time of the year 13-15C at dawn with 99% humidity up to 35C and about 45-40% humidity on the same day.

Thank you very much and have a nice day

Beautiful wood. Shame you can't really see it after its covered. I have never seen nylon. Only polyethylene. Is it pretty light tight and uv protected?

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Searching "Chinese diesel heater" on YouTube plenty of results. Looks good.

funkyhorse

Beautiful wood. Shame you can't really see it after its covered. I have never seen nylon. Only polyethylene. Is it pretty light tight and uv protected?

At this part of the world, people call polyethylene nylon. And I am living in rural area of an agricultural country, both the polyethilene nylon and the polyethilene white shadow mesh are supposed to be uv protected, but I always doubt the word of sellers. In the southern hemisphere the sun is very very strong because of the ozone layer hole. Inside the greenhouse it feels really confortable and the sun dont burn, I believe it is uv protected. The mesh roof allows to pass air, rain and filtered sun rays, the mesh just makes shadow

The wood is the cheapest quality, not really good wood, it is uncured, still green. It can last with the best of lucks up to 5 years before it rottens, my bet is it will last up to 3 years. This construction is good for learning

gsxr97

Veteran
Yuba,

I'm thinking bout setting up a 14x40 light dep gh. Thinking plants in 3/15 , flip 4/1. They will be growing and vegged indoor before that. I'm in NorCal valley so will still be chilly mornings and nights.

Would you think one of these heaters would heat that 14x40 ? Or maybe 2 , one at each end ?

What temp do you shoot for inside greenhouse during March/April springs temp ?

Thanks

Ebay or Amazon. Ebay is cheaper. You will see them under 100 different brand names. You will see them as a kit with fuel tank, pump, all the piping and ducting. Or you can get them in all in one units easier to install. Try searching "diesel parking heater 5kw".
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2021NEW-WARMTOO-Diesel-Air-Heater-8KW-12V-All-In-One-Car-Parking-Heater-Truck-RV/224205653255?hash=item3433b2c507:g:0LwAAOSw2UpfpMZQ

There are all sorts of different kits. I would get one with a digital controller that has thermostat. And remote control.

There is a group on Facebook called Chinese diesel heater. Has everything you could want to know about installing them.

gsxr97

Veteran
I’m gonna order one of these Chinese Diesel heaters to get some more heat in my veg room for upcoming spring . Then I’ll use it greenhouse come spring

Last edited:

CrushnYuba

Yuba,

I'm thinking bout setting up a 14x40 light dep gh. Thinking plants in 3/15 , flip 4/1. They will be growing and vegged indoor before that. I'm in NorCal valley so will still be chilly mornings and nights.

Would you think one of these heaters would heat that 14x40 ? Or maybe 2 , one at each end ?

What temp do you shoot for inside greenhouse during March/April springs temp ?

Thanks

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The valley is usually pretty warm. You could get away with just 1 most likely. But they are cheap so why not have 2. I i have 2 in my 12x40 but I'm only using 1and it's January. It's colder where I'm at. I'll turn the other one on and vent to get it real hot and dry once in a while. Just to prevent disease.

That's basically the same schedule I'll do this year. For veg i keep it as hot as i can during the day and on the humid side. Lots of air movement. Kind of vpd style. I aim for 90f. But that is all Sun. I won't use the heater unless it will dip under 70. 50 ish at night. You can run colder if you are careful to watch for mildew and stuff starting.

For flower i want more like 80f day, 55-60f night

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
EDIT: all the pictures in this thread got lost. will be trying to take new pictures to replace them. built a heated 12x40 veg house and a 20x60 auto depp. wanted to show how easy it was to build pro steel greenhouses on the cheap. No reason for anyone to be manually pulling tarps in this day and age.

Wanted to do a quick thread on building steel frame hoop greenhouses. They are cheap and permanent. Won't blow away in the wind or rot. They can be made to be auto light depps pretty cheap and easy as well.
Pvc has no rigidity.it's flimsy, warps in sun. Won't hold it's shape. It will also rot your polyethylene cover material of the poly and pvc come in contact and it WILL come in contact. This makes pvc a temporary structure and pvc is Damn expensive to be a temporary structure. Steel tubing is not much more.
I bend hoops made of 10 ft 1 3/8th tubing. This is what most professional kits are made out of. The building materials and process is the same weather you buy a 8k$ kit from a greenhouse company or if you diy and buy components separately.
I will try to do as much of a complete build it as possible. It's in my spare time.
[URL=https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4406/36700385850_66242a0c94.jpg]View Image[/url]0906172237 by Yuba Crushin, on Flickr
inside of the auto depp.
[URL=https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4382/36925746422_54fbcae833.jpg]View Image[/url]0907170917 by Yuba Crushin, on Flickr
12x40
[URL=https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4335/36260989414_8a0c769ed1.jpg]View Image[/url]0907170917b by Yuba Crushin, on Flickr
pellet stove
View Image

Nice!

gsxr97

Veteran
Big thanks to CrushnYuba for the thread , and most recently the info on the Chinese diesel heater. I’m vegging plants to take clones for a light dep run this spring . I have one setup in a uninsulated 40ft cargo container. Installed Carbon Monoxide alarm and it shows room is safe to be in . Been playing around with it but definitely keeping makeshift veg room warmer than outside. Puts out major heat, and was easy to use straight from the box. Aiming for 75-80 during day lights on , and 60 or higher at night . Plants are under 4 qb96 all with own 185w driver, 2 -200w cheap leds , and a 400w metal halide for light and especially some extra heat. I’m going to get the container spray foamed . After that I imagine this little sucker would heat it easily. Very cool device I could see heating all types of stuff .

Attachments

• 0F7F2D70-E380-4A3F-B42B-82456F94D96D.jpg
    0F7F2D70-E380-4A3F-B42B-82456F94D96D.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 130

CrushnYuba

Big thanks to CrushnYuba for the thread , and most recently the info on the Chinese diesel heater. I’m vegging plants to take clones for a light dep run this spring . I have one setup in a uninsulated 40ft cargo container. Installed Carbon Monoxide alarm and it shows room is safe to be in . Been playing around with it but definitely keeping makeshift veg room warmer than outside. Puts out major heat, and was easy to use straight from the box. Aiming for 75-80 during day lights on , and 60 or higher at night . Plants are under 4 qb96 all with own 185w driver, 2 -200w cheap leds , and a 400w metal halide for light and especially some extra heat. I’m going to get the container spray foamed . After that I imagine this little sucker would heat it easily. Very cool device I could see heating all types of stuff .

Why not just put it in the greenhouse now? Uninsulated containers are harder to keep warm then a greenhouse. Metal conducts heat really well. Why not take advantage of that sun!

How much is it to get that container spray foamed? I need some storage right now. I like that you can move containers. But they aren't cheap, terribly insulated and a bit to narrow. I'm on the fence.

gsxr97

Veteran
I’m working on the greenhouse , wish it was built but not quite yet. Container is only spot open now for vegging. Hoping in the next 2 weeks to be able to do just that . Veg them in greenhouse using the sun , and use the heater to keep them all nice and toasty :)

I’ve researched it and 2-3 frothpak 650 foam kits should do 1 40fter. So about 1200-1800 for foam insulation . I got this one cheap and it had man door already welded up and installed , and the entire container is wired up (even though I’m not actually using it yet , need to get it hard wired to my property power )

I’m going to foam it and install a 18k mini split I’ve got cheap as well so I have a place for July light dep harvest/hanging space . I know the buds will just turn to dust when it’s 100+ if I don’t have a well climate controlled drying area .

Thanks Yuba !

Why not just put it in the greenhouse now? Uninsulated containers are harder to keep warm then a greenhouse. Metal conducts heat really well. Why not take advantage of that sun!

How much is it to get that container spray foamed? I need some storage right now. I like that you can move containers. But they aren't cheap, terribly insulated and a bit to narrow. I'm on the fence.

CrushnYuba

Where did you get it from? if i could get cheap containers.... I would be a happy man.

How much space is lost with insulation? How thick is it?

gsxr97

Veteran
3-5" thick depending on how much sprayed.

I got deal on used 40ft and it was $2000 . $900 delivery but that was 3hr away. I was getting quotes for 3500-4000 without any modifications like the man door I have . Would have been a newer container as one I got is old .

Yuba when vegging outside now in a greenhouse do you then blackout at night and have supplemental lights to keep them from flowering ?

What lights do you use? I think you mentioned cheap leds in the past .

Thanks !

CrushnYuba

I really like the container homes and pools and offices and everything. They look so cool.

Yea.. Any light bulb works. I just use some 7w led spot light bulbs. The ones that cast light in a direction. They got them at the hardware store. You just want it lit like your living space at your house. If you can see and read, it's enough light to keep them from flowering.

If you really want to push it, you can use hid. But i found it has to be hot when you are using them or there is no point. If you run them at night when it's only like 60f in the greenhouse, it's a waste. It will basically be doing the same thing as the cheap leds but burning more electricity. But if you use them on a cloudy day with heat and it's like 80f+ your plants will actually grow faster.

gsxr97

Veteran
I'm very interested in cargo container houses, and the pool ideas I've seen are very cool.

Cut off the top, and line interior with tile , or any kind of water holding liner, and bam a pool :)

I'm gonna get these girls outside ASAP , hopefully in next week or 2

gsxr97

Veteran
Got a cheap veg gh setup . I got it as a surprise bday gift. Got my but in gear and all my vegging plants outside . They are loving life ! Have supplemental heat using the Chinese diesel heater . Supplemental LEDs , using less than 100w total . Even moved my seed /clone rack inside and everything is thriving. I sealed it up with dirt.

Thanks again Yuba ! This heater is rocking. I bought another one to put back in the container while I get it spray foamed, sealed up. First one has worked pretty much flawlessly, second one I haven't got to fire up yet. I'm charging a new battery for it now. I use a nice little battery tender to keep the battery charged while running the heater .

Vegging moms , taking cuts, popping seeds

Attachments

• 3D41D56F-885F-474A-B0FE-B17D2C3D3FCE.jpg
    3D41D56F-885F-474A-B0FE-B17D2C3D3FCE.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 784A0D74-5338-4FC9-A57D-07E3A70F5193.jpg
    784A0D74-5338-4FC9-A57D-07E3A70F5193.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DFB85051-5214-4D74-B2D5-BBB29EFC97DD.jpg
    DFB85051-5214-4D74-B2D5-BBB29EFC97DD.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 124
  • E03B0A99-1225-48D3-B879-9421637F9B9B.jpg