What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rain Water Collection/Watering System

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
I decided this forum was the best place for this thread since some may be able to use their greenhouse's roofs to collect rain.

I suppose this could be used in remote areas if someone was inclined to build something to gather rain.

Also, a lot of you probably know how to do this, but I am posting it in case it can help anyone out.

In order to collect and use rainwater you will need
- a method of funneling rain (typically a roof into rain gutters)
- a rain gutter downspout
- a collection bin or barrel(s)
- some outlet PVC hardware
- fine mesh screen

i can't grow our beloved plant right now, but i do have a little indoor led hydro veggie/herb garden. i also have a very small outdoor garden that is producing some peppers, tomatoes, cantaloupe, squash and lettuce...

i was browsing the other day and came upon a home built greenhouse. i decided i would like to build one and expand my outdoor garden. i also decided the best way to water this would be with rain water.

first, i mounted a 12 foot rain gutter on my 12 x 12 wooden shed. i added a small downspout and flex spout. pictured is just the gutter...

IMG_04662.jpg

next, i was gonna use 4 blue 55 gallon barrels plumbed together with PVC pipe, but i got a better offer. instead of 4 barrels for $80, i was able to get 1 330 gallon container for $70. an extra 110 gallons for $10 less :dance013:

IMG_04672.jpg

The guy who sold it to me threw in a bunch of old tomato puree packaging that was bright, silvery and reflective. Knowing how damaging the sun is around here and wanting to protect this container as much as possible, i cut up my reflective plastic and firmly attached it with aluminum tape.

IMG_04701.jpg

IMG_04713.jpg

like i said this can be done with plastic barrels also. check you tube for some clips using the barrels...

as you can see i elevated the container on cinder blocks. this will help to create a little more water pressure.

IMG_04735.jpg

a little PVC pipe, fittings, valves, etc and i have one route available for feeding my upcoming greenhouse. and on the other side i can attach a regular water hose.

IMG_04745.jpg

and finally, i used a mesh bag i had from my beer brewing days and zip tied it to the container. stuck the flex downspout in the container and started my rain dance :jump: :blowbubbles ::dance013: :tiphat:

IMG_04754.jpg

based on what i've been told this will probably fill up with less than 2 or 3 inches of rain (which is a commodity this time of year, lol !!!)

hope this helps a few folks out... :good:

next up, build the greenhouse :wave:

W

wilbur

looks like a good solution for you! was surprised to see such a topic because where I live many people gather ALL the water for their household and other needs from the roof/rainfall ... and store it in 5000gallon tanks. I guess your house is tapped in to a community water supply. ps ... you could get a job as a plumber!

GP73LPC

Veteran
lol, i need a job...

most people here only gather rain water for gardens, not household use...

Littleleaf

Veteran
Good idea, Just one thing you might what to do so your tank wont settle to fast. Flip the bottom block on it's side. This way you have more surface area on the soil.

When I was living in Co,in some counties you can't even catch rain water....Ain't that some sht!!!

GP73LPC

Veteran
that's a good idea !!! :respect:

i need to get out there and do that b4 it rains !!!

bonsai

Good work. If buying those containers second hand make sure they haven't had nasty chemicals in them. There is a variant available in black which is great for preventing algae growth.

where I live many people gather ALL the water for their household and other needs from the roof/rainfall ... and store it in 5000gallon tanks.
I did that for 15 years in the hills of SE QLD -- tank water only and no town sewerage. I reckon if everyone lived for ten years "off the grid" to some degree they'd get a much better appreciation for how limited our natural resources really are... but that's another discussion for another thread! :gday:

GP73LPC

Veteran
thanks man, mine came with a food and beverage sanitizer in it and it has been thoroughly rinsed.... :good:

GP73LPC

Veteran
i just got back from lowes. bought every thing i need to build a 16 x 20 foot greenhouse.

i'm hoping i enough old 2 x 10 laying around. i will need those to build the raised beds inside the greenhouse, but besides some of those possibly i have everything else.

gonna build this...

hoop-house-const-41.jpg

G

greenmatter

i would kill for 2 of those containers

craigslist the things ....... if you are in colorado there is a guy in longmont that deals in only used plastic containers. i hope there is someone doing the same thing in every state. might be worth a try

GP73LPC

Veteran
it's shipping to gilligans island that's gonna kill ya...

GP73LPC

Veteran
i agree with craigslist or get out and drive some country roads, talk to some people. i bet you can find them locally...

G

greenmatter

in cali. lol

these things are used for everything these days. so i don't think they would be as hard to find as you think. i googled used plastic barrels to find the guy i get things from.

if you see a stack of empty ones in a factory parking lot ..... never underestimate the power of a case of beer!