What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco in an Ikea Cab

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
This is my first ever grow ever, I decided to go for coco and conditioned an Ikea cab. I probably will buy a Growtent for flowering, though, and keep this for seedlings, clones & vegging.

Closed cab (no longer being sold, Magiker)

Cab opened:

I intend to keep the upper area for vegging and the lower (unused yet) for clones.

My conditioning has been the opening for passive intraction (see left lower corner, covered with an white alu mesh), cover the inside of the cab with reflective mylar sheet, and a 90mm CPU FAN for extraction (top right).

The light fixture (PLL 55W 5000K) is DIY also. The (electronic) ballast is in the top at left. I may put it outside the cab but so far temps haven't been a problem and it barely gets warm whatsoever.

I had some issues with RH, I think the CPU fan was extracting too much (49CFM) dropping RH to about 35%, so I built a (dirt cheap and easy) DIY fan control module to 1- set the temp when the FAN start to kicks in (below that it throttles at minimum speed), 2- sensing (the clothes peg in the solo cup holds the temp probe at leaf level) temps and revving up if temp rises:

I can say it works wonders... just holding the probe with the fingers the CPU starts to rev up slowly, once you release it it starts to gradually slow down...

I also (per herbalizor and Bonecarver_OG suggestions, thanks!) hung a wet towel, seen at left cab wall. I added the CPU controller yesterday, and in addition to the wet towel it seems to work well: Temps maxed at 25C/77F, minimum 20C/67F, and RH min has been raised to 42%, max 82%, whereas the Max RH before was hardly 55% . I was using a wettex towel and today I added a regular towel to see if that minimum RH could be raised.

My plants:

From top to bottom, left to right:

Kali Mist #2, Sadhu #1, Kalichakra #1, Kalichakra #3
Kali Mist #1, Kalichakra #1
Kalichakra #5, Skunk Express #2, Skubk Express #1, Sadhu #5
Sadhu #3, Sadhu #4, Kalichakra #4, Sadhu #2

All Mandala's (Sadhu & Kalichakra) have exactly 19 days, the Kali Mist have 1 week, and the Skunk Express have almost 6 weeks, they suffered most of my newbie mistakes, with 2 transplants prior to going to Coco, but seem to be finally starting off. Kali Mist's have exactly 1 week.

I use canna coco in solo cups, for nutes Atami's B'cuzz A+B, ATA XL, and Rhizotonic. I PH my tap water (0.3EC) to 5.8 using PH-

I think my mistakes are clearly visible in the photos, specially in the bigger plants, Sadhu #5, and both Skunk's older leafs show nute burn but finally leaves seem to be "happy" with no droopiness, etc. I used ATA XL too early (won't happen again), put the light too close to the plants, let the coco to dry too much, had the PH meter badly calibrated, etc.

A little history: bought the feminized Skunks (they're from a new Seed Bank from Spain, Cosmos Seeds) mistakenly as autoflowering seeds, used the wet paper towel, then seed to soil in a big pot outdoors. the sprouted and started off very vigorously but then started to strech endlessly, and white flies met them, I figured outdoors conditions will be a waste for them, so I conditioned the cab transplanted them to small pots (in soil) and there they went.

I used a CFL too close to the seedlings, and they yellowed. I raised it but yellowing kept. Almost a month passed and the first real leaves shotouts were still stunt , so I slightly nute them, they became greener, thanks to that I noticed yellow tiny spots, inspected them below and noticed tons of white fly eggs... so I went ahead and trim the leaves.

In the meanwhile I had bought the Mandala seeds thinking my Skunks were almost dead, and decided to go with coco. I thought what the heck and transplanted the Skunks to coco too, and from that they started to grow.

All Mandala's were sprouted in peat tabs, then as soon as a root pierced the tab I transplanted to a solo cup with coco, but I'm no longer doing that as had two Mandala's sprouts (Kalichakra #1 and Sadhu #3) trapped inside the peat tab: a big root (2in) was visible underneath the tab but the seedling didn't pop. I broke off the tabs carefully and they finally pop; the Sadhu took off fast, but the Kalichakra looks a little stunt. So new seedings will be done directly in coco.

I'm thinking on modifying the light fixture to hold 2 55W PLL, as 55W may fall short for vegging? (surface: 40cm x 60cm, about 15x23in). Each 55W gives about 4000 lumens.

I see the Skunk's leaf veins greener than the leaf tissue, but wonder if they're like that or is a sign of nute carency, however as I've screwed thing a couple times with nutes I will go slowly.

Please feel fre to point out any mistakes or suggestions. I caught the grower itch :)

Last edited:

petemoss

Very nice, repuk! Thanks for the DIY fan control module link. Did you write that?
Looks like a fun project. I'll be visiting Radio Shack soon!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
welcome to my grow VaporBros :)

That kind of cab is no longer sold by Ikea (Magiker) at least in Spain, I bought it more than 5 years ago, I think it costs about 300€. I have used it for regular tasks :)

It's 60cm wide, 40cm deep and inside shelfs height is adjustable, it's 95m tall, right now my main vegging area is 60cm tall.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
petemoss said:
Very nice, repuk! Thanks for the DIY fan control module link. Did you write that?
Looks like a fun project. I'll be visiting Radio Shack soon!

Hi petemoss!! No, I didn't write it, but I like DIY electronics (mostly audio, and RC) and knew about the method, a quick googling popped a well documented web page.

Is dirt cheap to build, just need a N channel Mosfet with suitable amp draw for your application, I used what I had at hand, IRF520, and a potentiometer scrounged from a dead radio from my recycle bin.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
BTW, notice the oddity in Kalichakra #1, (third from the left in the top row) in addition (to my newbie eyes) to being the most sativa leaning of all mandalas (leaves farer from stem) see its first real leaves pair is one 5 "fingers" and the opposite "just" 4 fingers??

Also is funny the second fastest growing seedling, Sadhu #4 already smells...

tobaaaac

Out of my pack of Kalichakra I got one pheno that was really worth keeping. I hope that you get something good there.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Hi Bonecarver_OG! thanks for passing by :) What do you think about the lightning? will 8000 lumens (2x55 Watt) be too much for vegging?

Welcome tobaaaac, I'm curious, any hints to detect that worthy pheno?? effects?

tobaaaac

You know... I had three females out of my 10. Two of them were awesome, and one comes really lacking on density, smell, flavor and maybe potency. The one that comes out lacking was a monster in veg. This pheno are consistently the best looking plants that I grow until about the fifth week of flower and then the buds just never swell like they should and come out tasting and smelling like hay. The one that I decided to keep is a really stretchy sativa pheno with a high that will keep you up till 5am just sweeping the grow room for no reason. The buds begin smelling like lemons, but not like the way OG Kush does and then progress into some citrus fruit that doesn't really exist. She produces semi-dense buds that foxtail some from like week 6.5 on under my lights. When smoked in a bowl, she tastes slightly fruity but mostly like hash. When vaporized, she tastes like orange sweet tarts. I hand water topfeed with almost no run off in straight coco using the H3ad's formula watered down to about 650ppm. She's ridiculously light eating, and is still lush and green come cut time if I switch to plain pH'ed water half way through week 5.

Last edited:

icough2getoff

nice little veg cab you have going there repuk. I think it would be pretty hard to give plants too much light with floros. 110w of floros should be fine as long as heat doesn't become a problem. That temp controller on your fan is a nice touch. :yes:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
tobaaaac said:
You know... I had three females out of my 10. Two of them were awesome, and one comes really lacking on density, smell, flavor and maybe potency. The one that comes out lacking was a monster in veg. This pheno are consistently the best looking plants that I grow until about the fifth week of flower and then the buds just never swell like they should and come out tasting and smelling like hay.

I don't get it... which pheno is the keeper? the ones that don't look awesome??

tobaaaac said:
The one that I decided to keep is a really stretchy sativa pheno with a high that will keep you up till 5am just sweeping the grow room for no reason. The buds begin smelling like lemons, but not like the way OG Kush does and then progress into some citrus fruit that doesn't really exist. She produces semi-dense buds that foxtail some from like week 6.5 on under my lights. When smoked in a bowl, she tastes slightly fruity but mostly like hash. When vaporized, she tastes like orange sweet tarts. I hand water topfeed with almost no run off in straight coco using the H3ad's formula watered down to about 650ppm. She's ridiculously light eating, and is still lush and green come cut time if I switch to plain pH'ed water half way through week 5.

That's what I've read from Mandala Mike, beter keep low ppms... I learnt that also the hard way :)

So the stretchy sativa (guess leaves are also on the sativa side?) is the one to look for??

thanks for the tips!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
icough2getoff said:
nice little veg cab you have going there repuk. I think it would be pretty hard to give plants too much light with floros. 110w of floros should be fine as long as heat doesn't become a problem. That temp controller on your fan is a nice touch. :yes:

Thanks icough2getoff!

Great, I will build a double PLL fixture then. I think I could manage heat, putting the ballast the highest I could, of putting them outside if heat isn't manageable... I also build the fixture so that heat doesn't get trapped and can easily flow through the reflector to the cab top and then get extracted in order to be able to put it the closer to the plants the better.

I'm wayyyy happy with the thermo setup!!! max temp is nailed down now at 25C, but humidity has been kept stable in a much more healthy range now, between 50-80% RH instead of 35-50% I had before, and the plants clearly show it.

I also see the coco dries out much more gradually, prior to adding the regulator, the following day after watering coco was still humid, then the next day were almost bone dry. Now on the second day after watering the coco feels partially dry, but is still humid and seems to dry more evenly, whereas before it dried from top to bottom.

I have been next to the cab for 2-3 hours and the regulator could be easily heard working: throttling, revving up regularly.

So I'm a happy camper now :) I wholeheartedly recommend it for micro cab setups, plus the ability to stick the "probe" (the NTC resistor) at canopy level or whatever needed spot, where temperature really matters is great. A steal for less that $5 if built from new parts: just a NTC resistor, a N channel Mosfet and a potentiometer or trimpot.

Last edited:

tobaaaac

Honestly, the indica pheno was the shit as well, but it was such a weak plant prior to the 5th week of flowering that I didn't get a clone. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you won't know until you see the buds. Both the one that I kept and the one that wasn't up to par were both sativa pheno. I think that you'll really be able to tell in the last 3 weeks of flowering. They both performed similarly through the bud set period. The one that ended up being worse began producing semidense buds and the better one began producing wispy foxtailing buds. Once the buds really begin to come on hard, the calyxes on the keeper swell quite a lot and the density improves. The non keeper's buds keep growing straight out but never swell properly. I hope that I'm making sense.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
So I'd better take clones from all of them just in case... thanks!

Update: I built another light fixture, holding 2 PLL 55W.

The Skunks and one of the Sadhus seems to have a problem, I thought at first it was nute burn, so I flushed and every two days water with ph'ed water, lowering the A+B dosage.

But it seems to keep going, the older leaves are diying, will post some pics today.

B

bonecarver_OG

i would seriously need somekind of gizmo like that - to make sure the fans - or atleast one of the get switched off at too low temps.

my new growroom gets damn cold at night - 17º!

just cram the space full of fluorecents, the plant love it!

lower leafs normally die of on indoor plants under lower light intensity - spreading the plants out the maximum posible fixes that..

they normally get a bit pale, the tips die etc.. something like that?

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
bonecarver_OG said:
i would seriously need somekind of gizmo like that - to make sure the fans - or atleast one of the get switched off at too low temps.

my new growroom gets damn cold at night - 17º!

Bone, do you use AC or DC fans? For AC fans you could use a ready made modular thermostat, I've seen here a post explaining how to wire it.

If they're DC I can send you a module in a snap... just need to know the fan Amp draw to make sure the mosfet will not melt.

bonecarver_OG said:
just cram the space full of fluorecents, the plant love it!

Here´s the DIY 2 PLL light fixture, plants canopy are now perfectly flat and level, they leaned towards the PLL before.

(Higher resolution)

bonecarver_OG said:
lower leafs normally die of on indoor plants under lower light intensity - spreading the plants out the maximum posible fixes that..

they normally get a bit pale, the tips die etc.. something like that?

Yes... Here's a pic. I'm afraid I pushed a little the amount of plants in there...

(higher resolution)

Overal looks

(Higher resolution)

BTW I have a condensation drier machine, measured the EC of its water and it's 0.04... PH like tap's water. I watered yesterday with a 50/50 mix.

A question, once PH calibration solution has been used could it be reused? either it doesn't and its PH drifts of I cannot seem to keep my PH Meter (Hanna) calibrated :( I tested it yesterday and the PH7 solution read 7.6

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

i use also a dehumidifier - the water is perfect! but 50% mix is a lot - the plants need the lime in the water (K) so i try to give at mroe or less 1/3 of it - but it depends on your tapwater - murcia where i live the water is not good at all..

ph calibration - yeah people have told me for years they jsut close the bags with a cloth-pin or something - i started recycling it a few months ago. works perfect!. just keep themm closed.

its very important to keep them closed - contact with air will change the ph. i use my liqiud about 2 times - max 3. not more.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
bonecarver_OG said:
i use also a dehumidifier - the water is perfect! but 50% mix is a lot - the plants need the lime in the water (K) so i try to give at mroe or less 1/3 of it - but it depends on your tapwater - murcia where i live the water is not good at all..

Ok, noted! Here in Seville water is usually very good (EC 0.29). Dunno about its lime contents though.

ph calibration - yeah people have told me for years they jsut close the bags with a cloth-pin or something - i started recycling it a few months ago. works perfect!. just keep themm closed.

its very important to keep them closed - contact with air will change the ph. i use my liqiud about 2 times - max 3. not more.

My calibration buffers are barely a couple weeks old... I keep them into photo film containers, pretty airtight.

I called the store where I bought the PH Meter and readed a couple documents and it seems the PH meter should be stored in tap water. It also seems that to wake or stabilise a new PH meter probe it helps to store it on PH4 solution... will try that also.

thanks!

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Well, it seems I finally got the meter calibrated and stabilised... I keep it now in a glass with tap water. I bought new calibration sachets, the "old" ones were fine.

I transplanted the bigger plants to 2L square pots:

They were 3 weeks old and had developed a pretty good rootball, I think next time I will transplant when they're 2 weeks old, thought on tetrabricks as pots... will they be fine for growing?

Lessons learnt: don't use paper solo cups, roots get into the paper :) I will be using just coco (just pressed the first handful so that coco doesn't go when watering) no perlite or hydroton. I tenderly loosened the rootball then put into the square pots.

I'm also using a mist maker (10 minutes each hour) in a water reservoir as humidifier in the lower area. The moist towel hardly kept humidity for half a day with the 2 PLLs.

With it RH is kept steady at 60-50%, temp 26C, fan speed set at medium to low speed.

BTW almost all plants sport a very healthy green colour, they look yellow in the cab inside pic due to overexposure.

I'm starting to think I may have stuck too many plants in there (12 plus 2 small seedlings). if they start to branch out they will be pretty tight...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts