What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

the Hand Watering coco thread

B

bonecarver_OG

i just thought it could be nice to start a thread with tips for growing in coco - but using handwatering and pots..

since im kind of busy i thought this could run on a question and answer basis - also if other growers feel like chipping in with their bit it would be cool. :D

first of with the do's and dont's:

do check ur PH! - range from 5.8 to 6.1 works really well
do make sure you use nutes specific for coco! - this will give the best results and easy of use.
do make sure you use pots big enough for the watering intervals you want to have. bigger pots means less watering. but more water is needed to flush out properly.
do make sure you have run off when watering. about 20-40% is enough.
do make sure the coco never gets dry - this is a hydro medium. watering often gives better results.

DONT treat coco like a soil grow.

growing in coco gives great results outdoors also. it slightly more expensive than soil growing - but the end results will speak for them selves. huge yields and lots of flavour! :D

Last edited:
D

DJ_highst_

I am doing my first coco grow in the Botaincare BOSS cubes and I like it so far. I got some Blue Heaven clones in them right now that are doing great. Since they are nutrient specific, what type of nuts do you recommend. Peace_highst

B

bonecarver_OG

i thought it could be fun :D

im going to flower 4 3'x4' trays of clones in slabs - but around them i will continue to use pots - that i will put directly on the floor - aloving for some bigger plants on the side of all the small ones :D

this year i have teared down the walls of my grow space and amplified it to include all of the room. with 2 x 600 W im not going to get too extreme results - but i expect some really nice smoke for our coco-COOP.

any questions or doubts out there?

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

i strongly recomend CANNA coco and HESI coco nute series. its by far the best in my experience.

the other products we use are:
supervit HESI
Rhizotonic CANNA
PK 13-14 CANNA

peace

F

Father Time

A Most execlent thread Bone-man,
i'm all ears !

thaks for sharing your knolage and experiance with us newbies. :joint:
kind Regards,Ft :wave:

Xtrakritical

Im here also...
Might need some input on feeding with PBP line...

Thanks for helping out us little guys BoneCarver! :)

Xtra

BlueBear

Hey, great topic. I am wondering about placing clones that have roots poking out of the RW into loose coco and how much to water? Right now I completely saturate the RW cubes almost 3 times a day because of the air movement in my veg/mother cab which causes them to become bone dry if I don't.

Should I completely bary the RW once transferred into the coco or just about half? Right now with the rooted clones in strait coco I give them a watering 1 to 2 times a day because they are on a 24 hour light cycle and I am wondering if the RW once in the soil holding more moisture since surrounded by coco will become too saturated. What are some methods used by others in a RW to coco situation and how many roots do you wait for to transfer?

In my bigger plants in coco I am giving about 4 cups of water per day in 3 gallon pots which gives me only about 5% run off, should I increase this?

Thanks for any input. IC turned me on to coco and I am really digging it so far.

Adieu

B

bonecarver_OG

im just an other little guy too :D

i dont know the PBP line im sorry.

B

bonecarver_OG

i think its more steady if planting the rockwool plugs about 3/4 into the coco.

i do the watering at this stage with a hand sprayer - making sure the coco around the rockwool has the same amount of humidity. later on i dont think this is a problem if the clone roots well and after that i only water around the rockwool - trying to avoid to soak the rockwool since the roots that the plant uses to feed will be further down in the coco. anyway still coco is a suchs an airiated medium that rot will in most cases no be a problem. rockwool is also very good at that.

i normally transfer before or when i can see a bit of roots stick out. i like transplanting when growing in pots. the plants definetly like it too :D

i would try to increase the amount of water feed to the plants - so the run off goes up to about 10% atleast. this is to make sure the roots are only having fresh water and the old stagnated water with used up oxygen goes away.

also i want to stress how usefull it is to use a res with airstones for ur water.

peace

Last edited:

Dalton

Hey bonecarver, good idea for a thread. I like a little hydrotron on the bottom. But I probably got that from you. Thanks for all of the info.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Xtrakritical said:
Im here also...
Might need some input on feeding with PBP line...

Thanks for helping out us little guys BoneCarver! :)

Xtra

Hey BC good to see you,
I'm glad your putting that skull of yours to good use. :wave:
We need a coco forum on IC, it is very much underrated.

I've used the PBPro in coco and I have 2 very important tips for you,

1 Pretreat your coco with a calmag formula.
and
2 Use the calmag formula everytime you fert.

PBPro is designed to do both hydro and coco but it only work if you supplement the nutes with the calmag formula, coco is a mag and calcium hog, most def. in a coco medium in the Cana Infirmary are calcium defs.
Also I've used the Canna coco and if you put seedlings in it without doing a pretreat with calmag you could get K toxicity, I put young seedlings in coco and then used PBPro and I had a K problem.
It is the initial element that is bound in the cationic exchange web that is inherent to coco so the wash balances it out, that's why BC suggest feeding to a 10-15% runoff, as well it flushes salt buildups out of the medium.

:2cents:

Rock on BC :sasmokin:

Last edited:
B

bonecarver_OG

the hydroton works well in the botom - also does broken ceramic pieces and even washed gravel.

many times i break some cheap old pots to put in the bottom before i put the coco in. :D

B

bonecarver_OG

never had any K problems really using coco canna nutes series:D thanks for the tips about the PBP line :D

BlueBear

bonecarver_OG said:
i think its more steady if planting the rockwool plugs about 3/4 into the coco.

i do the watering at this stage with a hand sprayer - making sure the coco around the rockwool has the same amount of humidity. later on i dont think this is a problem if the clone roots well and after that i only water around the rockwool - trying to avoid to soak the rockwool since the roots that the plant uses to feed will be further down in the coco. anyway still coco is a suchs an airiated medium that rot will in most cases no be a problem. rockwool is also very good at that.

i normally transfer before or when i can see a bit of roots stick out. i like transplanting when growing in pots. the plants definetly like it too :D

i would try to increase the amount of water feed to the plants - so the run off goes up to about 10% atleast. this is to make sure the roots are only having fresh water and the old stagnated water with used up oxygen goes away.

also i want to stress how usefull it is to use a res with airstones for ur water.

peace
Thanks BC I have a good idea of what to do now, just needed some asurance that I was on the right track and needed to be dialed in a little.
Adieu

G

I have been hand watering with the PBP line for 3 weeks on these 6 S.A.G.E clones...

I feed em once daily with 1TBLS Pureblend Pro Bloom, 1tsp Cal-mag, 1tsp Hygrozyme per 1 GAL of RO water the entire time from clone till 20 days prior 2 harvest... 50/50 Botanicare COCO, Fox Farm Chunky Perlite

I couldn't be more pleased with the results...

Loving all the new COCO threads :yoinks:

Last edited:
G

gdawg

BC great thread bro, i've been lookin for this one. i got a couple of questions. i just switched everything over to coco maybe a month ago and i'm lovin it. i mix perlite, coco, marine cuisine and then a little promix. i also add d lime & h lime. do i need this? i use the calmag every other watering and so far have been really impressed. i was lookin for some tips on using the "coco" outdoors this summer. my area gets decent rainfall but has been cursed by dry summers here lately. what can i expect as far as watering compared to soil. been doin it outdoors since the 80s i wanna post some pics but i'm kinda skittish ya know. outdoors i was using promix, worm castings and botanicare nutes. :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts