No announcement yet.

Maxigro and Maxibloom with tap water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer maxigrow in veg and the first week and a half to two weeks of 12/12. The growth is so much greener and healthier. It's personal prefeence, but it's still simple. The only additive I use is protek. I know it's not quit as simple as one bag all the way through, but still very easy and minimal hassle to switch bags during the transition.

Comment

MB @7g/gal
      92N
      121P
      65M
      92CA

MG @7g/gal
      185N
      40P
      37M
      111CA

If anyone wants to give this a try. This formula is what I have been doing since I switch over to MG and MB instead of the 3 parts liquid.

2 parts MB+1 part MG @7g/gal

123N
      94P
      55M
      99CA

With the 2 parts MB and 1 part MG that's pretty close to the 100N/100P/200K/60Mg/100Ca target. I always seem to get N def when using plain MB and just the opposite with MG. IMO...MG also seems a bit low on P.
      Last edited by MoPho; 07-09-2016, 01:11.

Comment

I've run this 2/1 for veg and first 1-2 weeks of 12/12 (maybe 3 weeks if its a N hungry strain). Then it's straight MB for the rest of 12/12. It's not quite the KISS method, but IME it has served me better. Though KISS works I don't believe in the one size fits all theory. KISS is a good starting point and then IMO some tweaking is needed to better fit the strain and environment of each grower.

Just my $.02

Comment

Originally posted by MoPho View Post
          I've run this 2/1 for veg and first 1-2 weeks of 12/12 (maybe 3 weeks if its a N hungry strain). Then it's straight MB for the rest of 12/12. It's not quite the KISS method, but IME it has served me better. Though KISS works I don't believe in the one size fits all theory. KISS is a good starting point and then IMO some tweaking is needed to better fit the strain and environment of each grower.

Just my $.02
          Thanks a lot, I'm very interested in your method.
          For one plant which needs one gallon of mixture, how much per gallon when combining both mb and mg? much appreciated

Comment

If anyone wants to give this a try. This formula is what I have been doing since I switch over to MG and MB instead of the 3 parts liquid.

MB @7g/gal
            92N
            121P
            65M
            92CA

MG @7g/gal
            185N
            40P
            37M
            111CA

2 parts MB+1 part MG @7g/gal

123N
            94P
            55M
            99CA

With the 2 parts MB and 1 part MG that's pretty close to the 100N/100P/200K/60Mg/100Ca target. I always seem to get N def when using plain MB and just the opposite with MG. IMO...MG also seems a bit low on P.
            If you are talking 14 grams of Maxibloom and 7 grams of Maxigro a gallon, that is too much for a plant isn't it?

Comment

Water ppms

Folks,

The content of the ppms' in the tap water is critical to understand.

300 ppm of calcium is one thing. 300 ppm of sodium is another. It is important not to just make statements about ppm's without knowing what those ppm's are made of.

Reading up about the SAR concept in water analysis might be a bit revealing.

I have farmed with water that everyone swore was salty, and yes it had quite a bit of sodium. But what saved the crop was the amount of calcium present along with the sodium.

This is also important to realize that without enough calcium, it is very easy for the plants to become over sensitive to potassium etc. only because there is not enough calcium present.
              OH IF A MAN TRIED
              TO TAKE HIS TIME ON EARTH
              AND PROVE WHAT A MAN IS WORTH
              I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
              TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone

Comment

Originally posted by slownickel View Post
                Folks,

The content of the ppms' in the tap water is critical to understand.

300 ppm of calcium is one thing. 300 ppm of sodium is another. It is important not to just make statements about ppm's without knowing what those ppm's are made of.

Reading up about the SAR concept in water analysis might be a bit revealing.

I have farmed with water that everyone swore was salty, and yes it had quite a bit of sodium. But what saved the crop was the amount of calcium present along with the sodium.

This is also important to realize that without enough calcium, it is very easy for the plants to become over sensitive to potassium etc. only because there is not enough calcium present.

Amazing. Makes a lot of sense

Comment

Science

Science is an amazing thing.... and it makes sense!
                  OH IF A MAN TRIED
                  TO TAKE HIS TIME ON EARTH
                  AND PROVE WHAT A MAN IS WORTH
                  I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
                  TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone

Comment

You can get a comprehensive analysis here:

http://www.jrpeters.com/lab-services/analysis.html

Before I switched to the MUCH cheaper jrpeters hydro ferts, I was very happy with the maxi products. Although KISS always worked, I too used maxigro in veg and slightly into bloom. As pointed out earlier, growth is just plain better without the need to slam it with high ppms to get the appropriate nitrogen.

Comment

Originally posted by HydroGringo View Post
                      If you are talking 14 grams of Maxibloom and 7 grams of Maxigro a gallon, that is too much for a plant isn't it?
                      For 1 gallon I would do 5grams of MB and 2.5 grams of MG (if you round up the MG to 3 grams-I don't think it will hurt). But to make things easier you can make 3 gallons and go with 14g of MB and 7g of MG. OR make 1 gallon with 14g of MB and 7g of MG and that would be your concentrated solution which you can dilute before using.

Comment

"IMO a wider range of ph gives the plants a better chance of absorbing more nutrients than setting it at one target. I understand a lot of people are saying best ph is 5.8, but I honestly don't believe in the one size fit all theory. While 5.8 (or whatever) is a good general target, I think it can vary from strain to strain and environmental conditions can come into play. By letting the ph fluctuate a bit it can help prevent certain nutes being locked out while overfeeding on others."

With that being said as long as you can keep your ph between 5.5-6.5 you should be golden (even a little lower or higher won't do too much harm). I was advised that during veg you want your ph on the lower end and during 12/12 on the higher end.

But most importantly DON'T TRY TO HIT and MAINTAIN an exact target. It will drive you nuts....trust me I've had more than my fair share of pulling my hair out trying to do so. LOL

A little bit of fluctuation is key.
                        Last edited by MoPho; 07-09-2016, 01:16.

Comment

Another piece of advice I can give is to leave the additives out of your res/base nutes. What I do instead is have all my additives in a sprayer.
                          1. Make the additives go much further (save on $)
                          2. More easily utilized by the plants
                          3. If there are any problems with your plant it can be easier to diagnose the cause by process of elimination.

Sorry for all the posts. Anyways those are just my .02

Happy growing

Comment

For 1 gallon I would do 5grams of MB and 2.5 grams of MG (if you round up the MG to 3 grams-I don't think it will hurt). But to make things easier you can make 3 gallons and go with 14g of MB and 7g of MG. OR make 1 gallon with 14g of MB and 7g of MG and that would be your concentrated solution which you can dilute before using.
                            Oh my goodness! Thanks for all the tips! You have changed my mind dramatically!

Comment

Originally posted by audiohi View Post

Before I switched to the MUCH cheaper jrpeters hydro ferts, I was very happy with the maxi products. Although KISS always worked, I too used maxigro in veg and slightly into bloom. As pointed out earlier, growth is just plain better without the need to slam it with high ppms to get the appropriate nitrogen.
                              Thanks buddy, I will be giving them a call. I called a lab and they are charging $400 dollars to test tap water.

Comment

I'm not alone

Originally posted by audiohi View Post

Originally posted by HydroGringo View Post
                                My tap water is at 350ppm (0.7 EC) and 7.5 ph
                                [RTW hand water] I will be growing in Coco coir with three 3 gallon fabric pots using
                                -Maxigro
                                -Maxibloom
                                -Cal-mag plus
                                -Silica blast
                                -Liquid Karma
                                -Bio-cozyme
                                -Coco-wet
                                -SM-90
                                -PH up & PH down
                                *Please help* any advice will be useful on this lineup of nutes/additives/water etc.
                                It's not only for me but for everyone that stops by. I'm a first time grower and your time and experience will be gladly appreciated
                                Thank you for including us viewers. I'm new as well and is loving this thread. I'll be getting this line up as well. Please keep me updated on your progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X