What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pineapple chunk. Coco in airpot with blumat

Gramse

Hello everybody!

This is my first thread and my english is not that good, so be gentle:smoke:

I'm about to set up a blumat 4x4 sog whit 25 plants, but first i wanna try the blumat out, so therefore I have plant a single pineapple chunk from Barneys farm. A freebie from my last seed purchase.

Lights
Veg: pll 2x55w
Flower: 250w hps

Medium: Canna coco
Pot: 6 litre airpot
Nutes: canna a/b
Ph: 5.7-6.2
Ec: 1.0

Here she is somewhere between 4 and 6 week. Topped twice.

The blumat tropf in action.

Week 8 and Up potted from 3 to 6 litre.

Tied her down and topped a branch that came up in the middle.

Feel free to chime in. Not the first grow, but my first in coco.

Thanks for sharing some pics. I have 2 Barney pineapple chunk about 7 week into flower right now. One of them stretched like a bitch. Yield seems low but this run has been neglected so prob my fault. nice work.

Gramse

Thanks for sharing some pics. I have 2 Barney pineapple chunk about 7 week into flower right now. One of them stretched like a bitch. Yield seems low but this run has been neglected so prob my fault. nice work.

Thanks man. Yea i have read all about the stretch on this strain and I really hoping for the short pheno.
Can you, by looking at my pitures, tell if it's the tall or the short pheno I got?

rastas

You can start to guestimate the possible future stretch from the length between the internodes, the size/shape of your leaves, choice/power of lighting, but really its hard to say at this point. Pineapple Chunk is a hybrid between indica and sativa, so it all depends on the pheno you will have the luck of finding. The leaves tell that your pheno is indica dominant, since they are wide and fatty, but this is common with these kind of strains especially in the growing stage. Their sativa qualities start to come out later in early flowering stages.

What you want to do to be able to control the possible stretch is periodically changing the light period to 12/12. I do it in phases. From 18/6 to 16/8 to 14/10 to 12/12. This will slow down stretching, and will give the grower more time to be prepared in case there will be symptoms of nutrient deficiencies. Stretching is stressful for the plant, and causes nutrients to be taken out very fast from the medium by the plants. Change the lighting period every 3rd day closer to 12/12 and you have some control of stretch.

I hope you will find a quality pheno that You like! Good luck!

G

Coco airpots and blumats is my preferred way to grow! I do a vertical 600 in my 4x4. Your plant looks great and blumats will make you sooooo happy!
I understand that a bluer spectrum of light may slow down the stretch response. I also pinch the stems on plants that are putting too much distance between the internodes.
I'll enjoy watching your progress,
OC

Gramse

You can start to guestimate the possible future stretch from the length between the internodes, the size/shape of your leaves, choice/power of lighting, but really its hard to say at this point. Pineapple Chunk is a hybrid between indica and sativa, so it all depends on the pheno you will have the luck of finding. The leaves tell that your pheno is indica dominant, since they are wide and fatty, but this is common with these kind of strains especially in the growing stage. Their sativa qualities start to come out later in early flowering stages.

What you want to do to be able to control the possible stretch is periodically changing the light period to 12/12. I do it in phases. From 18/6 to 16/8 to 14/10 to 12/12. This will slow down stretching, and will give the grower more time to be prepared in case there will be symptoms of nutrient deficiencies. Stretching is stressful for the plant, and causes nutrients to be taken out very fast from the medium by the plants. Change the lighting period every 3rd day closer to 12/12 and you have some control of stretch.

I hope you will find a quality pheno that You like! Good luck!

Thanks. I never done this flip in stages thing but it sounds good, nature can't be wrong right:biggrin:
But will the final stretch be less or do you mean it just slow down but on a longer period of time?

I've got 5 pineapple chunk from barneys at the minute day 11 flowering, they've nearly doubled the size. Tallest one is 73cm now, was 43cm before flip. Will let you know when strecth will be finished, good luck!

Gramse

Coco airpots and blumats is my preferred way to grow! I do a vertical 600 in my 4x4. Your plant looks great and blumats will make you sooooo happy!
I understand that a bluer spectrum of light may slow down the stretch response. I also pinch the stems on plants that are putting too much distance between the internodes.
I'll enjoy watching your progress,
OC

They have already made me happy:) But I've notice that the pressure are not even from my res, I have to adjust the blumat sometimes. When I'm putting up my sog I think I will do it with two res, one upper which is always full, for a more even pressure.
How have done it? With one or two?

I've got 5 pineapple chunk from barneys at the minute day 11 flowering, they've nearly doubled the size. Tallest one is 73cm now, was 43cm before flip. Will let you know when strecth will be finished, good luck!

I know:biggrin: I keep an eye on your thread.
Thank you! And good luck with your grow!

w4tch

Everything looks good, I'm interested in following this to see how the Blumats work out for you. Good luck!

rastas

But will the final stretch be less or do you mean it just slow down but on a longer period of time?

Ive done this a couple of times, and I have plenty of experience of not doing it as well.. I say they stretch a lot less.
Also training the plants affect stretching a lot, I see youve done some lst and stuff on your plants, so good job!

Using a scrog, having a cooltube with the light real close to the canopy, and periodically changing the light regime, are the best ways to limit the amount of stretch..

Gramse

Ive done this a couple of times, and I have plenty of experience of not doing it as well.. I say they stretch a lot less.

Interesting!! I have to try that and see how it works for me:) not because have to do it, got plenty of height for this plant. But it's always better with tight internodes, especially when you run a 250w grow.

rastas

My Take on Different Light Schedules

I have grown cannabis under many different light schedules in many different combinations and here is my take on it. I’m leaving out combinations that did not differ much from the ones listed here. I have not considered problems with space in grow rooms here. Basically if you are running a small cab or pc case grow, grow Lowryders for best result.

Cannabis plants are capable of constant photosynthesis under 24h of light during the vegetative stage of development.

In the words of Ed Rosenthal:

"Cannabis under continuous light will grow 33% faster than the same plants on an 18-6 light regime."

There seems to be some confusion when it comes to something called the dark reactions that take place in plants. They are called dark reactions because they are light-independent, but this does not mean that they only take place in darkness. As a matter of fact, the dark reactions occur regardless of the amount of light present as long as the proper substrate compounds are available. These compounds are created during photosynthesis which means that the dark reactions cannot function without light.

However, although cannabis plants are capable of photosynthesizing 24/7, they still need some darkness in order to maintain a proper hormonal balance. So apparently, by keeping your plants under a 24/0 light regime, you are actually inhibiting the circulation of growth hormones that the plant needs in order to stay healthy and eventually prepare for flowering among other things.

Everyone would not agree with me on this. I will not go further into this subject here, you can find more information regarding these mechanisms in the guide on topping, training and pruning, mentioned above. On to the different light schedules.

24/0 --> 12/12

After many grows I have noticed that running the lights 24/7 during the vegetative stage is of little use compared to 20/4 or 18/6. In nature the length of the day decreases gradually, not over night. I also think that constant light without a rest period is not beneficial for the seedlings, might put your equipment under unnecessary stress and run up your electric bill for no more than a 5-10% increase in weight, at the most. Some state that the equipment is actually placed under most stress when the lights go on, so perhaps it is not a valid argument here. You can make your own conclusion regarding this point. It can be said that this photoperiod is unnatural but then again, periods of close to 24h sunlight during summer days is not unheard of in arctic regions. On the other hand, how would you cope with around the clock work and no sleep? The dark period is important for the plant to build up and move around essential biological components, ultimately it affects the plant on almost every level. Still, many use it because it is easy and gives good results. In my opinion however, the transition into flowering from this light schedule also makes the stretch unnecessarily long due to the 12 hour difference in the photoperiod.

Hey! Where did the sun go?

20/4 --> 12/12

This is a kinder option for the plants, your equipment and your electric bill. This gives the plants some time to rest and your equipment time to cool down once and a while. Still, the 8 hour jump in the photoperiod after the switch to 12/12 is a bit of a stretch.

18/6 --> 12/12

This is a valid option to the light schedule above. Not that big a difference in final stretch as the stretch caused by increased dark hours during the vegetative stage evens out with the lesser stretch in early flowering stage after the 12/12 switch. The plant might be a bit stronger under this light schedule compared to the one above as it has some time to rest. 18/6 is nowhere near the equatorial daylight length that sativas are used to but is suitable for both indicas and sativas during the vegetative stage.

20/4 --> 18/6 or 16/8 --> 12/12

This is a good option, at least when growing from seeds. This light schedule gives the plants a chance to prepare for flowering in good time with minimal stress. You could run the lights 20/4 for about two weeks, then switch to 18/6 or alternatively 16/8 for another two weeks and finally 12/12 for the duration of the flowering stage (I usually drop the daylight hours to 11/13 in late flowering, this benefits especially sativas but works well for indicas too, don't go much lower though).

20/4 --> 18/6 --> 16/8 --> 14/10 -->12/12

The best option. Same as above but a little more work. Depending on the length of desired vegetative growth, decrease daylight by 2 hours say every 7 days or so until you reach 12/12 on the timer.

If you are going to take the time to grow weed, why not take the time to reprogram your timer?
This is a quote from Kodiak's A Cannabis Growing Guide - All that you need to know to get started Thread --- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112662

This is where I originally picked up the idea.

G

Regarding pressure for the blumats. I keep my 5 gallon reservoir ontop of my growing tent. This is enough height that even if it runs low, the pressure is satisfactory enough not to alter the performance. I do like the idea of a float valve and 2 reservoirs.

Gramse

Update

Update

Trimmed the lady a couple of days ago, and tied her down a little bit more. Will do the flip tonight:dance013:

I still feed her with 1.0 ec and don't know if I should bump it up or not. What do you coco gurus think? Every single leaf is lushing green.

Gramse

Day 15 of flower

Day 15 of flower

Two weeks has past and she has grown from 27cm to 60cm.
Ec:1.1
Ph:5.7-6.2

Gramse

looking good mate! Should stop stretching completely round day 24, at least mine did. The highest from 43cm got to 144cm.

Ok Stoned. I am regret that I wasn't transplant her into a bigger pot:( Never thought she would get this big, and apparently she is not done yet :/