What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plants with no smell [HELP]

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have seen Mn use go up a lot in the final weeks. Seen through testing. Visually, we see Mn signs in many pics where people have kept them going to the bitter end. It must alter the smell profile, but alter is all I can say.

Very soon after resin starts to appear, the smell should be picking up. Week 3 perhaps. By week 4, a little resin smudged with your fingers usually smells great. Presuming 8-10 week plants.

Root condition is about the only likely reason for poor development.

I might entertain the idea of h2o2 used in excess. It's not been spoke of though.

A poor cure can ruin a reasonable product. It usually involves dry conditions with lots of air around them, causing them to crisp in 3 days. The result is a straw like taste. I read it can be bacterial, but I can't relate that to speed drying.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Not sure if you figured it out yet, but my GG4 5 weeks into flower were not giving off almost any odor. I checked the runoff in coco, and was 2 to 3 times what I was feeding, and PH was full point low, so lockout. Just finished flushing them out, and hoping they are not ruined.

jackspratt61

I have seen Mn use go up a lot in the final weeks. Seen through testing. Visually, we see Mn signs in many pics where people have kept them going to the bitter end. It must alter the smell profile, but alter is all I can say.

Very soon after resin starts to appear, the smell should be picking up. Week 3 perhaps. By week 4, a little resin smudged with your fingers usually smells great. Presuming 8-10 week plants.

Root condition is about the only likely reason for poor development.

I might entertain the idea of h2o2 used in excess. It's not been spoke of though.

A poor cure can ruin a reasonable product. It usually involves dry conditions with lots of air around them, causing them to crisp in 3 days. The result is a straw like taste. I read it can be bacterial, but I can't relate that to speed drying.

Definitely on right track with mn. There is a strong relationship between mg/mn ratios and terpene production. Mn regulates mg uptake.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Definitely on right track with mn. There is a strong relationship between mg/mn ratios and terpene production. Mn regulates mg uptake.

It looked like N and K use went right down, while everything else remained steady, with only Mn use increasing. It wasn't inert hydro though, so I can't be entirely sure from just the runoff results. I have looked at general tissue analysis results, but not found a full suite from that time.

Mg late is harsh I thought. Not something to encourage. I don't know Mn had a relationship, but I'm guessing it's antagonistic. Allowing epsom salts to be added a little longer, to get that sulphur

MezOner

Hey guys thanks for the replies... Still don't figure it out yet, i've changed my nutes to a more complete program... I think there's something related to the ferts i was using

I don't know if you've figured this out yet. I have been having this problem for months.

This grow I flowered shorter plants and the smells seems to have been more intense and the tops aren't going all dry and changing texture.

My temps at canopy are always good...I think the light is still too intense and burning off all resin and terps! My lowers always seem better than my uppers.

This last grow I grew big plants and everything is bland.

This time I moved plants as far away from my lights as possible (I grow with 2 600w hids) and the plants are more sticky to touch and Im hoping that translates to the dry.

I started to think about why the bud felt like it had sat in the sun on the tops and felt old, slightly crunchy, Slick to touch and not sticky like the lowers... has to be the light!

The first time I grew I had one hps over 6 plants. That was best i grew taste and smell wise...have had 2 600w over the canopy ever since then. I'm switching out for 400w bulbs this run and hopefully it fixes this problem.

My buds look sooo good and I've got my yields up, if I can get that knock down smell and some taste that would be great no one wants good looking bud that don't stink

William76

Drying to fast can cause odourless weed,especialy if u have a fan to close when drying,couldn't be that?,hope u get it sorted,76

GF-Z

From my experience - high temps and low humidity produce fast degrading buds. If you put those in some 40% RH and dry them in high temp they tend to loose all terpenes and general "dank" feeling to it. To save terpenes, you must stay around 50-55% RH in flowering and dry your plant in cold and perfectly controlled environment. (shoe box on heater is the opposite from what it needs to be in).
62% RH and 60-62F with proper air flow would be ideal to have juicy and tasteful buds.

The smell overall is genetics.
Everybody now focuses on weight/THC amount/ terpenes. Stinkyness is a risk factor and I believe every breeder wants his weed to resemble some type of smell (earthy/spicy/citrusy/fruity/funky and etc) and not having plant stinking like a mofo from 90's =)

sdd420

Veteran
If you have PM it will have no smell but still looks really good. Break a dry bud, snap it in half and if there is a poof of something then you have PM

"Before harvest i always do flush for 10-14 days till the leaves are yellowing and i measure the run-off ppm which goes to around 100ppm..."

thats the main issue
supposing you growing healthy plants, you starve them at the end and drain the buds from minerals
which results in schwag
next time just give pure water water the last days, once the plant start to get a lighter green color, chop

Mr.NotSoFast

I have received the best terpenes with coconut when I started flushing 12-10 days before harvest. Runoff has been 20%. By the time of harvest, the runoff goes below 0.5 EC.

I prefer a better flush, and I don't mind if it trims some terpenes because a well-flushed flower with fewer terpenes feels lighter to smoke and perhaps healthier?

There seem to be blind tests done on this topic, and participants chose flowers with higher nutrient content as better.

William76

You should be able to flush ur plants for 14 days without them looking pale and sickly at the end(like shit)if there all yellow that's cos ur feedings not been right up till flush,76