Side by side STS recipe experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beta View Post
    What's the recipe ya'll settled on? Hammerhead says he liked the CBG recipe, but it isn't clear to me what he means by that.
    The first post was edited to include this info.
    DEATHS FROM CIGARETTES:.......300,000
    DEATHS FROM ALCOHOL:.............90,000
    DEATHS FROM CANNABIS .............................. .............................. .......someone might die........someday ...........................
    -CA Med Patient in compliance with SB 420/Prop 215-
    IG Drohammad
    Current Grow -Growers Choice 720w vs Momac LED 640w-
    Current Grow -Mars SP3000 and SP250-
    -Get Mo's Grow Log-
    -Lemon Rado & OG Tini testers-
    -sp250s vs sf4000-
    -Relentless Genetics Grow-
    -Ace genetics grow-
    BloomShotz!!
    Dried Bud Shots...
    Vert Baby!!!

Comment

So i been tryna make some seeds again and last 2 rounds were unsuccessful, n got to thinkin, do these chemicals go bad? My trisodium phosphate is stuck together, silver still seem the same tho. They bout 5 years old tho, maybe i should buy new?
      DEATHS FROM CIGARETTES:.......300,000
      DEATHS FROM ALCOHOL:.............90,000
      DEATHS FROM CANNABIS .............................. .............................. .......someone might die........someday ...........................
      -CA Med Patient in compliance with SB 420/Prop 215-
      IG Drohammad
      Current Grow -Growers Choice 720w vs Momac LED 640w-
      Current Grow -Mars SP3000 and SP250-
      -Get Mo's Grow Log-
      -Lemon Rado & OG Tini testers-
      -sp250s vs sf4000-
      -Relentless Genetics Grow-
      -Ace genetics grow-
      BloomShotz!!
      Dried Bud Shots...
      Vert Baby!!!

Comment

Good question. Anyone know better?
        Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis (A Healthier Approach to Hydroponic Cannabis)
        DIY STS Mixing/Using Guide for Feminized Pollen/Seeds
        DIY Super Inexpensive HEPA Filtration
        6-Second Pain Relief for Arthritic and Joint Pain
        8-Minute CBD Test
        Cool and Dry Flowering Discussion Thread

Comment

Originally posted by GET MO View Post
          aright so i did a side by side with two different recipes...
          Recipe #1:

First, a stock solution of 1.0L is made. It consists of two parts (A and B) that are initially mixed separately, each into 500ml of water, then blended together. Part A is ALWAYS mixed into part B while stirring rapidly. Use distilled water; tap water may cause precipitates to form.

Wear gloves while mixing and using these chemicals, and mix and use in a properly ventilated area. A mask will prevent the breathing of any dust, which is caustic. STS is colorless and odorless, and poses minimal health risks if used as described here. Note that silver nitrate and STS can cause brown stains upon drying, so spray over newspaper and avoid spilling.

Part A: 0.5 grams silver nitrate stirred into 500ml distilled water
          Part B: 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 500ml distilled water

The silver nitrate dissolves within 15 seconds. The sodium thiosulfate takes 30-45 seconds to dissolve.

The silver nitrate solution (part A, 500ml) is then mixed into the sodium thiosulfate solution (part B, 500ml) while stirring rapidly. The resulting blend is silver thiosulfate solution (STS, 1000ml).

This stock(STS, 1000ml) solution is then diluted at a ratio of 1:9 to make a working solution. For example, 100ml of stock STS is added to 900ml of distilled water. This is then sprayed on select female plants.

Results
          I sprayed 4 weeks ago then again 3 weeks ago. Both times I sprayed for complete plant coverage like i was trying to kill mites, waited about an hour, then sprayed completely again. The second spraying was diluted 1:7 instead of 1:9
          This plant never got the damaged look that the other recipe generated, it created less balls but bigger ones, and today I saw one fully opened, so I took it and moved it around on my hand, and sure enough, pollen! And a nice amount coming out too. I put some on the barely flowering blackberry kush and a few others, I put this plant up on a table with a fan behind it blowing toward the rest of the crop, so hopefully everything will get a nice amount of pollination going.

View Image

View Image

Recipe #2

Dissolve the 1.58g Sodium Thiosulfate in 100 mL water to create a 0.1M stock solution
          Dissolve the 1.7g Silver Nitrate in 100 mL water to create a 0.1M stock solution. Store in the dark.
          Prepare 0.02M (20mM) Silver Thiosulfate by adding 20 mL 0.1 M silver nitrate into 80 mL 0.1M sodium thiosulfate (or amounts in ration of 4 parts thiosulfate solution to 1 part silver nitrate solution). Store up to 30 days refrigerated (best to use fresh each time).

Results

I doubled this recipe so i would have enough to spray the whole plant, and sprayed 4 weeks ago then again three weeks ago. Both times I sprayed for complete plant coverage like i was trying to kill mites, waited about an hour, then sprayed completely again.This recipe seemed to make the plant look pretty upset, yellowing and mangled looking leaves. The clusters have more balls but are smaller so far, and grow in the buds more then the other plant which grew them more so under the bud sights ... No pollen yet, but I don't think they have ripened yet either. Will keep y'all updated.

View Image

View Image

Notes: This experiment is taking place in a greenhouse during the winter with less than optimal lighting. My guess is that results may happen a little faster if given full 12/12 of direct light. For all applications I would completely spray the plant, wait for 1-2 hours, then completely spray it again, covering them as if to kill mites.

EDIT: Incase anyone is wondering, here is the mix that PF had success with after our numerous failures....

1g Silver mixed into 60ml RO
          6G Sodium mixed into 240ml RO

Mix the 300ml into 600ml RO for a total of 900ml..

Spray at night in cool place 2x. The 2nd application is done 2 weeks after the 1st..

I have ditched all plants that where messed up from other try's.. I got 2 fresh plants 1 Glue and 1 sdubb. I just put the 1st application on using his recipe. I did not have any plants larger than 12" so that's what I used. I'm told this will not matter both plants will get 1-3x larger anyway while flowering...
          So is this the recommended regimen:

Spray at night in cool place 2x. The 2nd application is done 2 weeks after the 1st..

Any other recommendations on what part of the plant to spray? Is the harvested plant still ok to smoke as I know the CS is not? Anyone have results?

Thanks A lot!
          LT
          LostTribe

C99 The Ultimate Search and Rescue Mission
          https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=334331

Treating Cancer with Concentrates
          https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=301121

Comment

Originally posted by LostTribe View Post
            So is this the recommended regimen:

Any other recommendations on what part of the plant to spray? Is the harvested plant still ok to smoke as I know the CS is not? Anyone have results?

Thanks A lot!
            LT
            Awesome! Thanks

I personally spray the flowers, no real concern over stems. I don't recommend smoking anything which has been reversed.
            Tending Your Reservoir for a Full pH Swing and Cleaner Cannabis (A Healthier Approach to Hydroponic Cannabis)
            8-Minute CBD Test

Comment

Originally posted by GET MO View Post
              Recipe #1:

First, a stock solution of 1.0L is made. It consists of two parts (A and B) that are initially mixed separately, each into 500ml of water, then blended together. Part A is ALWAYS mixed into part B while stirring rapidly. Use distilled water; tap water may cause precipitates to form.

Wear gloves while mixing and using these chemicals, and mix and use in a properly ventilated area. A mask will prevent the breathing of any dust, which is caustic. STS is colorless and odorless, and poses minimal health risks if used as described here. Note that silver nitrate and STS can cause brown stains upon drying, so spray over newspaper and avoid spilling.

Part A: 0.5 grams silver nitrate stirred into 500ml distilled water
              Part B: 2.5 grams sodium thiosulfate (anhydrous) stirred into 500ml distilled water

The silver nitrate dissolves within 15 seconds. The sodium thiosulfate takes 30-45 seconds to dissolve.

The silver nitrate solution (part A, 500ml) is then mixed into the sodium thiosulfate solution (part B, 500ml) while stirring rapidly. The resulting blend is silver thiosulfate solution (STS, 1000ml).

This stock(STS, 1000ml) solution is then diluted at a ratio of 1:9 to make a working solution. For example, 100ml of stock STS is added to 900ml of distilled water. This is then sprayed on select female plants.
              Hey guys -

It's great to see my old recipe is still out there and being used! I spent about a year back in 2003-2004 working with many different concentrations to come up with this formula before releasing it to the public domain on Cannabis World, so medical patients wouldn't have to worry about plant numbers being wasted on having to deal with (and count) true males. Of course that didn't stop people from continuing to present it as their own to make $$ from it, but whatever. Glad people are using it. That is what is most important.

For those wondering, I disappeared because after I released the public domain version on CW, the DEA decided to put silver nitrate and sodium thiosulfate bought together on the watch list. This was because I put a link in there to Photographer's Formulary, and their sales suddenly went through the roof to the point where someone traced it back to CW. That was not something I wanted any part of, so I decided to move on. CW went offline shortly thereafter.

The basis I used for this formula was an old reference from a '70s hemp cultivator who was using silver nitrate solution to reverse plants. STS is also used extensively in the cut-flower industry to preserve flowers by inhibiting ethylene. That info is still out there somewhere I bet. It never got into any specifics about the actual dosage the farmer used, so that was why extensive trials were necessary. I burned the hell out of quite a few plants to find the sweet spot. I also had a lot of discussions with a breeder named Fet. Not sure where he ended up.

Anyway. The formula as written above is usually effective, but some strains need to be hit just a bit harder. Spraying twice is a good idea; I hit them 5 days before flower and then again at 2 weeks of flower. I find that 1:9 to 1:5 is the zone of most success for me. But to be honest, it doesn't always work out the first time. Each cultivar responds a bit differently. I have found that blueberry strains can be difficult, along with Flo and a few others.

I have learned through countless trials since then that too concentrated a level of STS (stronger than 1:4) seems to somehow inhibit pollen formation or pollen release in some strains. The staminate blossoms still develop, though. I have seen the most beautiful all-male floral expression and then found it to be sterile; either no pollen at all or no apparent fertility.

For this reason I still begin with the 1:9 ratio and then work my way stronger to about 1:5 if there are problems, which are usually related to pistils still forming. There is a strong urge to want to hit the plant harder, and that urge to fix what isn't necessarily broken can work against you. Pick a strategy and stick to it; adjust stronger and try on another cutting of the same plant only after you have problems.

One thing new that I do these days is use a tiny pinch of yucca extract as a surface tension breaker; it results in a more even coverage on the plant.

Happy trails and best wishes from Country Mon. We've come a long way in the last 16 years!

Comment

Awesome!

Excellent information, thank you for sharing the details. I completely agree about the yucca extract, I picked up a quart and it's amazingly effective. Probably last my little grow over a year.
                8-Minute CBD Test

Comment

Working...
                X