What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bud Candy VS sugar (Molasses, Raw Cane Juice & Malt extract)

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
So I have been wondering for a long time if the sugar products available @ the hydro stores are far superior to the stuff that we can source at grocery stores/ supermarkets/ Health stores, for a fraction of the cost.

I often see debates regarding whether using the likes of Malt Extract, Molasses & Raw Cane Sugar (aka Panela/ Jaggery Goor - dependent on your location) are as good as the hydro store versions. Well, I finally caved in today and bought my first bottle of Bud Candy! :pimp3:

As I haven't used Molasses/ Raw Cane Sugar/Malt Extract on a grow throughout bloom I thought it would only be right for me to do my bit for the debate and test these products against the BC (Bud Candy) to see if BC produces a noticeable difference in smell, trichs, flavour or any other desirable trait over the Molasses/Panela/Maltose.

You will see a multitude of sweet or sugary sounding ingredients on the back of BC, here's a few for example if your not familiar with it ~
  • Cranberry Extract
  • Grape Extract
  • Xylose
  • Glucose

...and the list goes on! Lol! :D I won't be attempting to replicate the BC formula for obvious reasons :D

What I am thinking of is using the main 3 Sugar products spoke of in replacement of BC etc ~Panela, Blackstrap Molasses & Maltose (if I can located Malt extract).

The plants are in Soiless mix (H&G Batmix) so these carbs should also help with the microlife too.

Base ferts will be Canna Terra Flores (NPK 2-2-4), plants are Cheese and in their 1st week of bloom, they haven't had any nutes yet as the soiless mix had enuff nutes in it so far, just Root excelurator, and foliar feeds of Maxicrop seaweed & Canna's Rhizotonic. This will probably change by 14 days bloom...

I will only be using 18 plants out of my SoG to run the test.

9 will get~

Canna Terra Flores Base fert & BC with Plagron Green sensation for the last 4 weeks before flush
other 9~

Canna Terra Flores + Panela+Molasses+Malt extract with Plagron Green sensation for the last 4 weeks before flush.

The Green sensation is a bloom stimulator/ PK additive very much like Atami's Bloombastic in ingredients.

I'll start adding BC & sugars today, I'll be using the 1 TEASPOON per gal of Molasses and have to double check the Panela mixing instructions again.... Maltose (malt extract) will be added with other 2 from next watering as I haven't found any yet!

I have a Q for any BC users what ratio do you use it @? 2ml per L as bottle says or weaker?

Here's a few pics of the stuff I intend to use... U may see some aspirin in there to... I read that it contains salicylic acid which is thought to be one of the active ingredients in Canna's boost. Haven't quite got comfortable with the idea of spraying aspirin onto my girls :nono: so I think I'll give that a miss until someone a lil braver than myself gives it a try ;)

I'll try do weekly updates of 2 or so plants from each group to see how things come along, also smell tests and ultimately smoke test :joint:

Any advice of doses, or other stuff I may wanna try adding fire away... Or just general advice/ criticism or praise :D lol! Is very welcome!!!

Psuper

You find powdered or liquid malt extract or light malt extract at brewery supply stores. Only about $6 for a pound of the powdered, a little more for the liquid stuff. I am not sure about dosing with cannabis though.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Ok man, cheers for that... seems like the malt extract maybe out of the question... The Molasses & Panela will have to do then!

toohighmf

Veteran
Ok.. how do I do this without completely bashing AN.

molasses. molasses. molasses. raw cane sugar, etc. scew aspirin! why would anyone pourposely simulate a viral attack or infestation to immunize or stress a plant to increase terp production???? keep your shit healthy and your room clean, enviro right, and you don't need to worry about it. if you have live beneficials in your soiless mix, you need to feed them carbs. molasses is a carb and has beneficials in it as well. seems like a much simpler, and cost effective means than buying into snake oil.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
I hear ya toohigh! The aspirin was a side thought since put on the back burner.

It will probably end up that the molasses/cane sugar combo is equal the 'snake oil' I just wanted to see what the differences were when all the other stuff AN add to BC was taken out of the mix. That hydroplex isn't available where where I'm at btw.

Couple observation about the molasses/ cane sugar~ they dissolve nice and easy into warm water quickly enough.

I keep reading that some people add 1 TABLESPOON (tbsp) molasses per gal then others add 1 TEASPOON (tsp) per gal... why is that?

When I added the 1 tsp per gal of molasses to my water it went up by 0.15EC pretty much the same for the panela too... I'm watching for any adverse effects of this as the BC didn't make the EC go up by much if at all.

toohighmf

Veteran
I don't know why some use a tsp and others a TBSP. I would probably run a tsp through bloom and final flush w a TBSP the first week, plain water the next

Greenmopho

Bump!

I've been wondering this myself. I've used molasses with good results and excellent tasting buds. I can't say I noticed a huge difference in flavor/potency/trichomes, but it did help yield a bit, and I did notice a somewhat stronger smell.

Never used Sweet, FloraNectar, Bud Kandy, Kushie Kush, or any of those...

toohighmf

Veteran
I used sweetleaf once... once.

If you have good genetics, you don't need berry and nut extracts to change the flavor. humics & molasses will increase terps & essential oils, flavenoids, and trich production to bring out the best in the best.

adding sweet or any of these things on mediocre genes helps a little, but as my pappy told me, "You can't polish a turd"...

atullemas

hello guys i've used Bio Canna VEGA/FLORES (organic - i recommend) and it is very very sweet already because is made from SUGAR CANE. Next feed i'll add some molasses and some black sugar (cane sugar juice crystallized). I am also using some BIO BOOST from Bio Canna that increase the sweet and fruity taste beyond increase the yield.
My next order will be B. Candy. I have some friends using and i know that is a very good product that beyond increase the sweet taste increase the yield aswell
Hope this help
Cheers

toohighmf

Veteran
the way I see it, there are no magic yield and flavor generators. only detractors. a perfect enviro and fert regiment will bring out the best in every way. it's these snake oil products that we constantly have issues with dialing in that screw most people's harvests. if people would just K.I.S.S, they would be doing a lot better a majority of the time

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
When I started this thread I didn't realize I would have to do so much reading to get to grips with just the basics of what the main constituents of these sugar boosters are said to do...

The main stuff- molasses, kelp, raw cane juice, maltose, glucose and the rest of the health food shop, lol :) as ingredients have been discussed at some length on IC but I didn't see hardly anything about amino acids here... What they do or where the are derived from.

I gotta digress a bit, what got me interested in BC was the fact that so many people had good results with Big Bud even peeps that detest AN liked it ;) so I thought it must be good shit (the old formula) then they whipped it off the shelf before I could try it and I find the new formula is different and peeps don't seem to like it as much or whatever...I see the amino acids amongst other goodies in BC and the rest is history.... I started to read up on those amino's today, fell down the frikkin rabbit hole on google! Now my head hurts!!

Gonna make a Joint to sooth my aching head :joint:

Here's some info I came across on a few of amino acids contained in BC.

.L-Aspartic Acid: Promotes Germination
.L-Glutamic Acid: Chelation
Stimulates Growth
Promotes Germination
.L-Arginine: Cold Resistance
.L-Cysteine : Chelation
.L-Phenylaninine : Promotes Germination
.L-Glycine : Chelation
.L-Histidine : Chelation
.L-Alanine : Cold Resistance
Chlorophyll synthesis stimulation
.L-Lysine : Chelation
Chlorophyll synthesis stimulation
Promotes Germination
.L-Methionine : Promotes Germination
Stimulates Ethylene Production
.L-Proline : Anti-stress action
.L-Serine : Auxin Precursor
.L-Threonine : Promotes Germination
.L-Tryptophan : Auxin Precursor
.L-Valine : Auxin Precursor

What I'd like to know is are these Amino's added or does one or more of the ingredients contain them already?

Side note~ noticed that the Bud Candy and the Molasses/ Raw cane juice (RCJ) treated plants had a nice sheen on their leaves today. The combo of RCJ & molasses at the dose I gave hasn't had any adverse effects.

This is a great thread - love to see what people actually find out when they test things. Such a pain to read a bunch of threads about who *think* they know everything because they heard from blah, blah....

(Wait, I've done that too...LOL)

Really interested to see how things will work out with this. I like Bud Candy a lot and I have to admit I'm rooting for that side. Plus I got it drilled into my head by a buddy when I was first starting out that molasses is for cookies, not for MJ.

So, I've stayed away from it. Oh, I tried it once and everything looked good for a while, but then it went south and I will never use it again.

Too true toohighmf - good genetics and a good grow room are the best medicine for preventing problems and getting strong results. Sometimes it just really is that easy.

:wave:

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Sup stonercool, hope you find the results interesting :)

Here are a few pics from today... Took shots of the developing buds from around middle of plant (were thc usually appears first IME). The pics don't show anything really as they're from 1 plant of each group and not representative enough because of this, but u may note that the BC bud has what seems to be the most thc at this stage, the Bud Candy plant also has a noticeably stronger cheese smell when those small glands are rubbed. I know what cheese should smell like and it is the most pronounced at this stage... Molasses/ Panela mix seems a very close 2nd thc wise. Again no conclusions should be drawn from this as the samples were too small as I was rushing. One thing I noticed about both the Bud Candy treated plants and the molasses/ panela treated plants is that the new growth is slightly lighter than that of the rest of the plants.... They also have the tallest plants out of the rest too... make of that what you will.

Bud candy

Molasses/Panela mix

Control

peace!

Kush Farmer

I use Sweet Carbo Raw now and used Sugar Daddy for years. I choose to use the additives for several reasons. One, and the most major, is it doesn't gunk up my equipment like black strap does. Two; it is specifically created for gardening applications. this means that it is formulated and quality controlled for my use. Black strap is not. Three; it is more than sugar. Most of the good products out there are sugar and carbo boosters. I have run black strap, additives, and nothing. I choose to use them because I have great results with them. I also use Hydroplex, which is a completely different type of product (P/K booster for the most part), and love it!!