What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First grow bunches of questions

Huggie bear

Afternoon ladies and gentleman and welcome to my first ever grow.
First about the veg chamber
I am running a 96 watt Tek T5 retrofit with mix of Tek and Icecap reflectors.
I have a cool air humidifier keeping the cab at around 40-50 Rh.
my temps range from 70-75 and I have a mini fan blowing over the top of them.
I originally started of using distilled water by mistake and have since switched to tap water run through my PUR filter.
My water reads at 7.0 PH
Here are some shots of my mutant strawberry cough I like it it has character lol and my others Chimera grapefruit x blueberry, and kalichakra.

First series are my chimera

This is my mutant strawberry cough

here is a pic of my kalichakra

as you can see from the photos I am having a bit of a time with the yellowing tips as I started them in mirclegrow seed starter and peat cup with dry out constantly!
I was wondering if you guys think they are old enough to withstand FFoF transplanting.
the kalichakra are a few days behind the rest so I would not want to transplant those till next week.

Last edited:

Huggie bear

My bloom is a converted kitchen cabinet that measures 36 long 34 tall and 24 deep.
I will be running a 150 watt Hps cooltube hooked to a 170cfm carbon scrubber.
I am still building the cab as of now it requires some paint and the exhaust set up.
I have sealed it up and plan to use 2 in passive intakes for fresh air.

Huggie bear

Here is the cab I will be using for Bloom.

I figure I have about a max height of around 26 or so inches
About how tall do you think I should let my babies get before flipping them to 12/12.
I do plan on topping and some lst work.
with the Cuttings I will be tossing them in a bubble cloner I picked up on ebay for a microscrog I want to try once these finish.

Last edited:

Huggie bear

First couple of questions..

1.) you guys think they are old enough to withstand FFoF transplanting.
2.) how tall do you think I should let my babies get before flipping them to 12/12 knowing > I have only about 26 inches to play with.
Looking forward to hearing your feedback -Huggie

ripOG

I would lower the pH to 6.0 to 6.5. They should be fine with or without the FFOF for a couple weeks. You could go either way. I don't think it would burn them much at this stage but it's safe to wait a little longer. As for the 12/12, I flipped mine when they were you size and they should finish at around 15". You could probably veg until about 12" and be fine.

Huggie bear

Yea I plan on doing some Lst as I only have 6 plants going in my bloom cab so I should have decent space for some bushing. thats provided by some miracle they were all female.
I will Get some PH down to try and get that under control tomorrow.

youre definitely going to want to do some LST, but with your height restriction, a SCROG (screen of green) would be best. I would wait until they are a bit more healthy to transplant, I made that mistake on my first run with yellowing leaf tips like yours (from PH, anything over 7.0 in soil is no good), and I lost 2 out of 3 plants. I was using neutral soil too, so with FFOF you should definitely wait until they're a bit more established. Maybe a week or two. I looove the cab setup, its a much more refined and thought out version of my 140W HPS rubbermaid. I am also using 78 watts of CFL for supplemental lighting. You should definitely use some of your floral-tubes for side lighting during flower. The buds next to my floral tube are MUCH more resinous than those on the other side. Look how well you can keep your canopy down with a scrog. my canopy is no more than 5-6 inches high from the screen.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Looks good so far, I really like your flowering cabinet. Would you be able to rotate the reflector so that wire doesn't have to hang down across the middle? One of the most important things I learned my first few grows was to be diligent about the PH. Maybe it was just my situation, but I think that had the biggest effect on my grows. I've been keeping it between 5.9 and 6.1 this entire grow and things are going great.

Huggie bear

The cord will be out of the way by the time I am ready to flip the switch. it is just unanchored as it sits now.
I get the best seal for my 6 to 4 inch converter flipped that way.
I underestimated the importance of PH till my Chimera started to show signs!
Maybe it was because they wanted a transplant as they were searching for nutes in that starter seed mix maybe not but in the future I will be triple checking every ounce put in the pots..
Thanks for stopping by Bounty stick around I am sure going to have questions.
My next phase is going to be topping once they get a few more nodes.
I hope to paint the cab and install my passive intakes durning the course of the week.

Huggie bear

Well I transplanted yesterday prior to the recommendation of Dr. H and everything is looking great so far.
the FFoF is holding water so much better and the plants have jumped at least a half inch since yesterday. I will take some pics in a could of days when things are hopefully really taking off.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
When I first transplanted into FFOF I almost killed my plants, I was used to a much airier soil mix. My Sour Diesel almost drowned because the soil was soaked for over a week. I cut it heavily with perlite, and that's what I'm using now. Careful not to overwater.

Huggie bear

Yea I have limited myself to using a 1 cup measuring cup for watering it gives me much better control.
With the stupid seed starter I was using I had to water like twice a day in order to keep them happy.
plus I have lowered the plants a touch only about 2 inches I want them to stretch just a touch.
Bounty are you putting anything outside this year?
hoping for an early June harvest so I have something to go mountain biking with this summer :)

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I'm considering putting something outside, but I wouldn't dedicate much to it. Just throw a few clones out in a few spots scattered around my area, if something finishes it'd just be bonus on top of my cabinet. No solid plans for that yet. I'm also shooting for an early June harvest, but it seems to get further from my grasp every day. I'll probably have my first smokeable buds towards the end of June.

Huggie bear

I would really like to be able to stick a couple outside but my area is pretty sketchy so I think I will just follow my current cycle.
I have sams t*haze x Skunk #1 seeds that I will hold on until we buy a house in a more relaxed area.
This morning the new growth is looking very good but the first couple of sets of leave are pretty much toast from my disrespect of the proper PH.

Huggie bear

Here is my chimera.

the yellowing has stopped but those lower few leafs are toast.
on a positive not the new growth is taking off and seems more then happy.
I haven't lost any after the transplant so thats cool.

Huggie bear

Well I just dumped my Chimera by mistake while rearranging them!
Dumped out half the soil and the original root ball tumbled out!
Re-potted it and will prey it doesn't send it spiraling in to the depths of hell!

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Never seen that before, I'd make a post over at the infirmary with as much info as possible, they should sort you out.

Huggie bear

its like the leaf is drying out from the cent out to the edges!
Made caused by the chlorine or chloramine in the city water?
Bounty you think its cool to switch to bottled water as they are in the FFoF now?

Latest posts

Latest posts