What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6 CFLs + CO2, goal 150grams

Military

Hey there everyone heres update on the cab.

She has recovered very well from all the LST I did when I changed
buckets. Much better I may say so myself :p
Probably from when i started the 11/13 i was filling the res up with
normal water thats didnt have any florid or anything of that sort in it.

Today I just mixed up a good 4/5th strangth mixture of the bloom nutrients.
Should be seeing atleast 1-3" of growth in next 7-10days hopefully :p Along
with decent bud development :p

Well here are the pics ;p

Last edited:
looking great so far military, i love your new closet idea. I have a closet just like that at my lake house, and oh how i would love to set it up like you are doing. Everything looks great on your cfl baby so far too, people think dwc is so complicated but all it takes is a trip to the pet store and any size container you like :)

Military

Dr Herbivore said:
looking great so far military, i love your new closet idea. I have a closet just like that at my lake house, and oh how i would love to set it up like you are doing. Everything looks great on your cfl baby so far too, people think dwc is so complicated but all it takes is a trip to the pet store and any size container you like :)

Thanks man. But ya sadly the new grow plan had to be changed. I have to go into a tighter area, but this one is long and all buckets will be on the floor level. So ill be able to use a HUGE res easier now. But this one is in same room and its way way way more stealthy. Its like an attic area in a closet :p Only a little 2'x3' crawl hole opening.

Im still yet to make measurements and stuff to plan out a system, but so far I got a good idea what ill be doing. Another PLUS is that I can paint this one fully flat white :p And im able to cut hole in wall for the exhaust duct :p

Ya DWC i think is soo freaking easy. Only thing hard about it is if dont have a lid its tough to make one lol. I tried DIRT in the very beginning of my growing and its to much trouble. Its to hard to control things when you dont have the right nutes or chems to control say pH or something like that. When my DWC i have buffered nutes, so never have to worry about pH which is a huge relief :p

Thank for checking out my grow, soon to be a new topic that will be my entire GROW setup project with tuts as I go :p

Smoke ON ;P

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Military said:
So what do you guys think about the new setup im going to have. Ill probably do some kinda of DWC res system water setup most likely. But i got a few questions though really fast.

1) Should I make the walls flat white, or is mylar good also, hows the difference? What should I use more over the other?

2) I was thinking about using 24, 42watt CFLs. which is 1000+ watts.
OR
That about nearly $200. Should i just get a HPS? or what?

Get an hps it will have better penetration and probably be cooler. 24 cfls are going to put out a lot of heat from all the ballasts.

What wattage lights are you running now?

I'd love to see you pull 100-150grams dried out of your current setup, but I would expect to see something closer to 50.

Military

blynx said:
Get an hps it will have better penetration and probably be cooler. 24 cfls are going to put out a lot of heat from all the ballasts.

What wattage lights are you running now?

I'd love to see you pull 100-150grams dried out of your current setup, but I would expect to see something closer to 50.

Use 12 ; 26watt CFLs. Ya I already decided on getting a 500watt halogen.
Not as bright as a HPS but its about 2x as bright as my CFLs and it will go farther just. The price is unbeatable also compared to 24CLFs which is nearly
$200
and HPS is about $100 for decent one, not sure on prices of HPS atm but I dont want to order it online anyways.

THe Halogen floods are only $26ea so not bad at all, and already bought
the cooltube.

But ya with this grow setup, i have already pulled 55grams out of it with one plant before. Dry weight. This time the plant is about 2.5x larger then my first plant. I also aim training with LST extremely till I get a screen made.

I should be putting in a chicken wire screen very soon, day or so. Then Ill have total control for bud growth sites, which will be alot easier then freaking tying them all down.

But ya hopefully i get atleast 100g ill be happy with that. If i got 125g Id be really happy because thats closer to watts = grams. Got 156watt total, believe me i would mind for w=g :p But 2nd grow = many improvements = better yield and over all bud

not getting my hopes up though of course :p

Till next time
Smoke On

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Two questions:

1. Where is your CO2? Are you doing the yeast and water thing? I know people say that doesn't really work, but in a sealed microgrow I don't see why not.
2. Your goal is 100-150g dry? So your harvest weight will be 200-300g wet? That's 7-10 ozs wet! I always thought that the gram per watt referred to wet weight, but maybe I'm mistaken...

Anyway, love your grow, showing some real ingenuity there while trying to keep it to a limited space.

Military

clowntown said:
I hope you're kidding about the halogen...
Aww man :( That doesnt sound good... Come on lol give it to me fast what ever bad news there is about halogens that I currently do not no.

Edit>> Ok just did some fast research about halogens and growing and ya lets say I change my mind lol. I think Ill have to go and get a HID light setup somewhere..

Bababooey said:
Two questions:

1. Where is your CO2? Are you doing the yeast and water thing? I know people say that doesn't really work, but in a sealed microgrow I don't see why not.
2. Your goal is 100-150g dry? So your harvest weight will be 200-300g wet? That's 7-10 ozs wet! I always thought that the gram per watt referred to wet weight, but maybe I'm mistaken...

Anyway, love your grow, showing some real ingenuity there while trying to keep it to a limited space.
1) I dont have it in just yet, because thats another $50 out of my pocket.
I might actually hold off on the CO2 in this micro because I need to concentrate more on finishing my new grow space. Which isnt a micro but its pretty tight and limited HEIGHT space.

2)Shit.. Good question, I have just always though it was dry final weight.. maybe not, I guess I dont know either. Well crap, i know this grow is going 3x better then my last one
A- Plant 3x the size easily
B- Way way more branches that have bud sites
and
C-
Way better bucket,
no light on roots,
no algae,
2 pumps for air,
and 3x the size for water amount

But I at least want 100 grams dry then, 2x improvement is I'm sure
sufficient

Ok here you go guys a little bit of area design that I just made.
This is pretty dam close to how everything is going to be. It has its +/- for sure, but 1 big thing is its 100% hidden :p

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You said you use 12 (twelve) 26w cfls (thats 312 watts), but then you mention you have a total of 156 watts.

I'm confused as to how many watts you are currently running.

gram per watt does refer to dry weight

Last edited:

Military

blynx said:
You said you use 12 (twelve) 26w cfls (thats 312 watts), but then you mention you have a total of 156 watts.

I'm confused as to how many watts you are currently running.

gram per watt does refer to dry weight

Oops my bad was a typo. I was thinking about my mother plant that will be getting 12 CFLs, Might actually just use my current 6 which should be just fine..

Sorry for the typo I ment 6 ; 26watt CFLs

Edit>>> Ok, this is what I decided to do about the lights. Im going to get 1 or each HPS and MH 400watt each. Might only be around $160.

Also, anything special with Pulse Start and nonPulse start bulbs or lamps?

One question really fast.. Whats better... IN GENERAL lol i know you guys can get all technical quick but I dont want that :p

Whats better
50k lumens?($100ea)
or
36k lumens?($80ea)
I need to know because it will save me $40 one way..

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Military said:
Oops my bad was a typo. I was thinking about my mother plant that will be getting 12 CFLs, Might actually just use my current 6 which should be just fine..

Sorry for the typo I ment 6 ; 26watt CFLs

Thanks for the clarification.

Did you mention the strain?

Military

All Bag Seeds lol Ill probably never buy seeds, just woundnt feel comfortable.
Maybe after being here for a few years and I get to know some members maybe Ill buy from them but not any stores or something lol.

But anyways I have a few questions for my new set ups i have coming. .
General answers would be the focus, I know some of you can get really technical quick :p

1) Anything special with Pulse Start and nonPulse start bulbs or lamps?

2) What is better 50k lumens or 30k lumens?

3) Whats difference with the EPA Compliant lamps and the standard lamps?

4) Do the below lamps, ballasts, and sockets all go together without any issues?

Hopefully the answers to those questions don't conflict with what I have picked out so far, but have no purchased anything yet.
Heres what Im looking at so far...
craziness37.jpg

They will probably be about 2 feet from each other, so yes the plants on the edges will get mostly 1 type of light, which is what Id be looking for because then ill get different types of growth and different bud :p

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
1) Pulse start bulbs require pulse start ballasts. Don't mess with these, keep it simple and go with "standard" bulbs and equipment.

2) More is generally better, bu not necessarily. You're also not looking for lumens; search for "lumens", "spectrum", "PAR", etc, and you'll get a better idea.

3) With that ballast kit, you'll need:

Housing (optional, but extremely highly recommended in your situation)
Nuts & bolts to mount the equipment onto the housing
Wires
Socket
Lamp cord
Power cord

... maybe a couple more things I forgot.

4) EPA compliant lamps... not sure... but if I had to, I'd guess that they have lower amounts of mercury than a traditional bulb.

Last edited:

Military

Thanks man for the info.

Well after some more searching and finally finding a site that has many people saying they have used it before and said they have great service I went ahead and bought all my lighting just now.

$183.18 later I now have
-1x 400watt MH
-1x 400watt MH Ballast
-1x 400watt HPS
-1x 400watt HPS Ballast

Military...

Nice grow, mad props!

maybe i missed it but what strain are these??? :bashhead:

Halogen light is in the correct spectrum for growing, however it is VERY HOT. No one person... scientist or hobbyist would ever reccomend using them.

Stick with the CFL 42's... My very first experiment with indoor growing was a G13 Hybrid plant and 3 x 42 w .... I got about 3/4 oz or 12 grams. This was in soil w organic applications. I would say you could go over a ounce with a good strain, good nutrients, and hydro.

Good luck!

BTW: EPA compliant lighting or Energy Star either have followed certain guidelines on hazardous waste or energy consumption. This factor does not affect us as growers!

Need help? Ask! I want to give back what i recieve here!

Last edited:

Military

Navigator330>>>
Nice hunnys you got there :p Thanks man, Glad to see another person that really
likes my grow.

Just wait till you see my current project at hand making my new grow area.
It will still be in the micro section because i feel its still micro, But the yield im looking at is hopefully around 400-500grams :p So atleast 1 pound of great quality bud :p

But hey, you say.."My very first experiment with indoor growing was a G13 Hybrid plant and 3 x 42 w .... I got about 3/4 oz or 12 grams."

Hum.. My first grow, was under the same CFLs i have now, 6 ; 26watters
and I yield 55gram.

Shit, what iv seem done with a CFL, i can only wait to see what my new 400watt HPS and 400watt MH do. 800watt total mix spec.. Pretty crazy stuff lol.

All of my grows are from BAG SEEDS. I dont want to buy seeds, nor
will I ever. I have no problem taking the 1 seed you MIGHT get out of
a nice bad of nugs or dank and growing it with a hydro system and making
it even better because its fresh and hasnt been through any hands yet.

PS>>> I just got down plowing for 7 hours and its 7am now, so im really tired, so bare with me on my spelling and grammar atm :p

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I'm growing under a 400 watt hps and I'm going to buy another 400 watt and run my mh conversion bulb there, so we'll both be doing the mixed spectrum thing. :headbange
My space is similar to yours, except I have more headroom. I'm doing the scrog too, though, even though I don't really need to. I haven't done one before from from reading about it I head it really increases yields: instead of all those popcorn buds you get from lower branches, you get full main colas cause those lower branches grow like top colas (something to do with releasing growth hormones when you bend the main stem).
The only problem is that once that scrog screen in grown in, you cant lift the lids of your buckets to troubleshoot things inside, although I don't see how we would need to do that since there's no mechanicals in the buckets...
BTW, where'd you get all your lights so cheap? I'm thinking the internet, but those prices are even cheaper than mdhydro . com...

:joint:

Military

Hey babebooey, Nice to see we have a similar setup going, We will for sure have to compare once I finish mine fully hehe.

The pic's of the equip is from Businesslights I THINK..
Just do this to find the link. In this forum search "150 Club"
It should be the first result but looks for something thats like
"150 Clue Resource blah blah blah"

PotHead>>> hells ya man, You been with my thread for a while now for sure :p Glad to see your on board for my new area. About to go out and but the 6" inline fans and flat white paint now :p

Latest posts

Latest posts