What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

6 CFLs + CO2, goal 150grams

G

Nice job on the ballast box Military! How is the hum? And where did you end up getting the ballast?

Thanks

Military

pothead6 said:
hmm im kinda stoned and im guessin that us ur balist
can tell who read the post and who just looked at the pictures lol says thats my ballast in the message man :p But ya thats my nifty ballast box :p Freaking thing is heavy as balls though not gona lie :p

SoylentGreen- ya it only has 1 hsp ballast in it atm because I have to get another still, probably going to get it this week. For 1 ballast though it sure does humm and have a little vibration :p

Military

ya different color spectrum for each. MH for veg HPS for flower... both are really great to use all way through because it mimics the SUN's spectrum more accurately since its not all RED(warm) or BLUE(cool) spectrum. Putting best of both worlds in my new area, plants in center will get HIGH amounts of BOTH lights, were as lights on the ends will get more light obviously from what bulb they are closest too.

Ya I know the difference... Like to add onto my def, please? So then i can know even more about each. :p

Im doing this for 2 reasons
1)Best to have best of both worlds :p
2)I want to see the difference with both lights since the plants that
are closest to either or will be able to show the affects very clearly.

The lights will probably be about 2-3 feet apart, probably more toward 2ft.

Today just spent $75 on new "buckets" and got the ducting and 6" inline fan that has 250cfm, I was organilly going to use 2 of these babies but after looking over the area again I see that 1 fan will be just fine to exhaust well. Thought Id save a little energy heeh :p

clowntown

Veteran
I think you misunderstood the question. Or I mis phrased the question.

The difference between a HPS and MH ballast is: igniter. Did you notice any similarities between your HPS and MH ballast? What was different? What was same? :nono:

If you put that ballast together, I'm sure you know what to do with that info. :)

(Hint: Flip-switch, igniter, extra wires.)

It looks like the lamp cord is OK from the pics, but double check that it can carry 600w. Consider further insulating that lamp cord. An easier and safer option might be to buy an outdoor extension cord (of the proper wire gauge) and cut it to length. A 25-ft roll should make you two lamp cords for that dual ballast.

Last edited:

Military

ooo ya ya ya I noticed that FIRST FREAKING THING when i opened up the boxes :p

Ya the HPS has the extra component(igniter) and of course more wires.

But to be frank.. wtf the hell kind of question is that anyways lol... I mean I did post pics of the ballast box i made and it clearly shows the HPS with the igniter... Just kind of random if you ask me :p

clowntown

Veteran
Well you talk about having to get a new HPS ballast... how about just get an igniter and turn your MH into a HPS? :bashhead:

Last edited:

Military

clowntown said:
Well you talk about having to get a new HPS ballast... how about just get an igniter and turn your MH into a HPS? :bashhead:

...well the MH ballast itself compared to the HSP ballast have a distinct size difference. The capacitor for them both also have a great size difference..

The HSP one has a larger cap and larger ballast all together..

I dont know just doesnt seem safe to me, but good idea man, ill look into it.

BUt I might be able to get another HPS ballast for like $20 though, so wtf lol why not just get it :p

G

Military The plants look great can't wait for those bud shots.Good work on the ballast box u kinda stole the idea right out my head :bashhead: wait till u see mine :muahaha:

Military

pothead2 said:
Military The plants look great can't wait for those bud shots.Good work on the ballast box u kinda stole the idea right out my head :bashhead: wait till u see mine :muahaha:

thanks man.. ya the buds have probably doubled in size since I took pics of them last :p Im pretty happy about that, hopefully its a fast strain..

About the ballast box, well I dont want to talk all the credit, because I saw the toolbox idea somewhere on this forum...I tried searching for it and i couldnt find it but its here somewhere :p So I got the idea from ICMAG hehe.

Probably going to post some new bud shots this weekend maybe... might want them to get a little bigger still before I take more pics :p

On a side note, my new grow area should be about 85% complete this weekend. I pretty much have all my supplies, only thing I need now is to -design a MAID for my mother(thats last)
-pick up my 66gph water pump,
-some black spray paint,
-pick up any little extras I need

This is kind of a rough schedual that I estimated on with both the SOG and SCROG...Iv seen many threads showing that a good SOG can out preform a SCROG extremely in the long term, and thats what im looking for the long term.

craziness73.jpg

Last edited:
K

kidkannabis

Thats alot of bud Military....even if u get half of what u expect, itll be a nice yield...keep us updated.

Military

kidkannabis said:
Thats alot of bud Military....even if u get half of what u expect, itll be a nice yield...keep us updated.

shit lol your talking about the little charts I made up right? Im guessing you are lol. But man those charts I made where after reading 10s of threads about 10s of threads of both SOG and SCROG all from NOOB to PRO, and I found an estimated AVERAGE of them to make these charts for myself.

They are still UNDER estimated on purpose of course because I dont like to get my hopes up. I wish I still had pics of my first grow... so everyone could see how much Iv advanced from then to NOW. I mainly only read the PROs' threads because nothing better then to learn from the best hehe. My new grow area, will def be pulling some mass buddage for sure no doubt about it... atleast 500g no problem.

swurv

Hey Military, Nice grow, Yours was a thread that almost got me to start on a hydro grow, but I thought I'd KISS(Keep It Simple Stupid) the first time and do like a pre-PD'd soil mix and some basic organic 1 part veg and separate flower nutes.

I noticed you mentioned the thing about the leaves showing a Sativa dominance, and what that might mean? well, I think you may be in for a longer haul on the flowering time, and less of a yield with a potentially better overall potency and stone. And taller plants. In practical terms, you'll prolly end up with a bitch that takes a long time to finish and is kinda tall. With some good smoke Hopefully! I'm sure you already know all that basic stuff, just throwing my humble two cents in.

Military

thanks Swurv for the info..

Ok just did a little research to know exactly the difference between Indicas and Sativas and I know the difference clearly now. Even know personally I dont care about the pheno of the plant TBO but I do care about how long it takes to mature.

pothead6 thanks for the support man :p ya Im hoping for atleast 100grams ATLEAST from this grow. Only reason I might not get the 150g is because I chop them a little early since they look more Sativa dom, lol I dont need to wait that long :p 10-16weeks of flowering.. lol 8-10 weeks is good for me :p

If these babies are not done by End of February im sorry to say but Im just going to have to chop them then and Im sure Ill be more then happy with the high.

One thing i do like though, is the Sativa high much more then the Indica since they have more THC and give a more UPPITY high rather then that couch lock "retarded" high haha.

But, for a quick verbal update, im not gona lie, my baby is surly working on bud growth now. After a few days of some good trimming, the new node sites that would usually form at the bottom of the plant have stopped so i know that the plant is working on those buds now :p

Will be posting new updated pics this weekend.

SMOKE ON people

EDIT>>> Ok after looking at my past posts and seeing that on the 20th I posted some pics of the plant with very small bud sites. Guessing these sites took about a week to make so Ill estimate my flowering date was the 13th of January So thats ... 11days into flowering so far..

That being said, I looked at the calender and see that Mid MARCH will be about 9 weeks depending on how they get before then weill determine if Ill wait till mid march or not to harvest. But well see though, because Im probably going to get myself some BIG BUD nutes in a week or so and that will for sure speed up the bud growth process :p

Last edited:

pothead6

dude why not just let them go even if there not done by feb more bud uk idk my plants are far from flowering so i shouldnt be saying much lol

Military

hehe, Well If they If they are not done by mid March Im chopping them for sure.. that would be 9weeks, and Im sure that they will be looking very delish because This weekend or next week im going to go pick up some BIG BUD suppliments and let my babies starve for a while then hit them with the BIG BUD, not hard obviously probably only 3/4 strength.

By the time I chop this babe my new grow area should have all new plants growing and vegging..

IM planning on only vegging my new grow area plants for only 7 to 12 days only, then going to switch them to 12/12 pretty much from the start :p

Hey military.... i agree, if you just get an igniter you can turn that puppy out.... the only reason you see a difference in size is probably b/c of the igniter. Either way,it will work and save you lots of money!

Looking good buddy!

Military

wtf.. dude the Capacitor for the HPS ballast is about.. half inch LONGER then the one that came with the MH ballast... Im not blind Ill post a pic showing the differences...

And the MH ballast is WAY SMALLER then the HPS ballast.. Im not an idiot, you guys are acting like Im lying about the size differences... THEY ARE DIFFERENT REALLY DIFFERENT.

I don't think just adding an igniter into the circuit would be all that safe.

Its not an issue anymore anyways.. because Im returning it and exchanging it for the HPS ballast, because I already have predrilled holes for it also. And Ill only be spending .. $20 total to get the HPS one as a replacement.

So that is settled..

SMOKE ON ..

Going to bed, im tired :p

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts