What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panopticab

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Yep, but not much...

I'm running a 100 CFM fan to exhaust the light chamber, a 50 CFM fan to intake air into the light chamber, and a 100 CFM fan to exhaust the grow chamber.

Since my canopy is getting pretty thick, I'm probably going to stick a loose 50 CFM fan in the grow chamber just to help stir the air a little...

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
one last question, how long are those light fixtures? trying to figure out if i can make em fit?

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
The 3 socket vanity fixtures in the photo were about 18" long...

They wouldn't mount side by side in my cab, but staggering them allowed just enough space for all of the bulbs to fit snugly.

Poodo

It seems like if you put a reflector or mylar one the ceiling it would help.but your 150 wat hps in that small of a box puts of enough that you dont have to worry about lummens lost I guess. Nice lil babys you got there!

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
I've actually started thinking about building a simple reflector to point more light downwards...

I'll draw some things about and post with some info...

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
hey panopticist - would you mind taking a few pics of the mechanical side of things? plugs and ventilation stuff. im in the process of desiging someing fairly similar to yours.

and where did ya find those circular light traps? im not sure what to use. im useing red greens intake for the plant area but not sure about the light chamber

Last edited:

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Okay. It'll probably be a bit before I'll have them ready, but I'll post whatever I can to help out.

Do you have anything in specific that you'd like to see? I know you said plugs and ventilation, but could you be a bit more specific? I just want to make sure I'm covering the things you need help with.

As for the circular light traps, they are actually fan guards for lecturns.

I used to work with an IT group at my local university and in the process of installing the lecturns around campus, found that we had an overabundance. So what was theirs became mine, so to speak...

Alone they cut out a fair amount of light, but glue them to the inside of a dryer exhaust vent cover, add some sheet metal strips to direct the light, and you have an effective light trap. I've been meaning to make a thread about how to build one, so I guess now is the time.

Like I said earlier, I'll be happy to do a writeup and take some photos, but it'll definately be a day or so before they're ready to post...

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
i was just curious to see the venilation and electrical detail. main connections and just a better look in gerneral. sorry for being a pain

your ladies are looking excellent under the hps btw

Nubie Biatch

panopticist said:
As for the circular light traps, they are actually fan guards for lecturns.

I used to work with an IT group at my local university and in the process of installing the lecturns around campus, found that we had an overabundance. So what was theirs became mine, so to speak...

Too funny!! :biglaugh: I got some fun random items working at a University as well. I was paying tuition...so naturally I had paid for those items in a more round about way.

Those gals are licking up that 150. :canabis:

J

Jebus11

When I make my sort of NGB style/ your style / a lil of everything style cab, I will be buying 2 of the cabs you used and put them side by side and connect them, use the left side for a clone/mother room/ electric shelf+stanley blower shelf and the right side will be a 150watt flower room. At first i was going to go with cfl's, but it seems it would only be better and cheaper to use a HPS rather then 200+ watts of CFL's. Have you thought about a reflector? and or started making one?

It will cost me already about $200-$210 dollars for just the 2 cabs and a 150watt light from econlights converted. then the stanley blower will cost like another 50+shipping...

Soo without all the venting and pvc piping and carbon filter(BTW how often do you have to change out the carbon??) and such it will already be 270 bucks probably. Man I hope I figure out how to get some seeds or a clone, I've been picking up some trainwreck and kush but i know my guy doesnt grow it, maybe i can ask him if he can get me a clone or something. I would hate to have to pop a cabs cherry with bagseed X_X

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Jebus11 said:
At first i was going to go with cfl's, but it seems it would only be better and cheaper to use a HPS rather then 200+ watts of CFL's. Have you thought about a reflector? and or started making one?
Good call on the HPS over the CFLs...

You can flower under CFL's, but the buds will be light and fluffy, and you'll end up spending more on electricity and ultimately have less light penetration. I made the shift from CFL's to HPS between my first and second grow difference was like night and day...

I've considered a reflector and am actually in the process of analyzing the designs of other reflectors for inspiration. Likely, it'll be a variation on a gull-wing type reflector since I need two ends open to allow for air flow between the intake and exhaust...

It will cost me already about $200-$210 dollars for just the 2 cabs and a 150watt light from econlights converted. then the stanley blower will cost like another 50+shipping...
Rome wasn't built in a day, dude...

If you're going to be strapped for cash, I'd say build your flower cab first. That way, you can veg and flower your first grow in one box and have some cash left over to purchase some seeds. I didn't have the cash to build both of my boxes at once, and I think trying to build two at the same time would've been a headache seeing how no paper design translates exactly into the real world. Every box will need tweaking to get it completely optimized, and doing so requires a lot of attention to detail. I'd rather focus on one project at a time, but that's just me...

9BTW how often do you have to change out the carbon??)

After every harvest...

My Red_Green DIY scrubber holds one jar (9 oz) of carbon from the pet center.

I've been picking up some trainwreck and kush but i know my guy doesnt grow it, maybe i can ask him if he can get me a clone or something. I would hate to have to pop a cabs cherry with bagseed X_X

Personally, I wouldn't ask him for shit because he'll then know that you're growing...

Nirvana and Mandala are two breeders that sell quality genetics at reasonable prices. I've grown Nirvana's Snow White twice now, and have been impressed every single time.

If all else fails, bagseed is a viable option. I've never gone that route simply because I don't want to deal with the possibility that I'll get some super-stretching, long-flowering sativa strain. Just something to think about...

J

Jebus11

Well, i am actually in the middle of my first grow, it is bagseed. Im scrogging and its been in flower for a while, but its taking forever, this is for a few reasons, 1. its bagseed and im thinking its sativa dom (but its still a smaller plant so hard to tell). 2. i just put 2x 42 watts in there, and i only have 1 80mm computer fan for exhaust and a big hole for passive intake, it gets hot low 90's i believe and room temp is 75. I just fixed up some air flow and am going to check temps to see if they have changed. 3. I've stressed it alot and things to that nature so im just gunna let it do its thing and take what i can get. I also have 2 clones sitting under a 23 watt cfl, 1 will be the mother and 1 i will flower in the cab i have after im done with the current grow.

I don't plan on being strapped for cash with these boxes (well im planning on connecting them to make 1, and seperating the left 1 into 2 chambers). I plan on getting everything i need over time and i don't plan on starting the grow in the new box till summer time. But i plan on buying the pieces such as blower, light, carbon filter, and make all the essential things ill need anyway, and then buy the cab/pvc/weatherstripping/etc/etc and build the cab.

Also, im planning on doing a perpetual harvest, so i guess ill just change the carbon filter every cycle? Every like 6-10 weeks?

Last edited:
bagseed can be better than all other genetics that you can find for -$150 p/10 seeds. Just gotta get lucky ;)

btw panop, i love this cap! my box is similar, but instead of walls, panda paper. And mines slightly taller

J

Jebus11

Do you think a 256 CFM blower venting 2 of the same sized cabs as you have + 2 150hps in it? It would be through the same kind of carbon filter you have and I would use Plexiglas and have 2 computer fans blowing outside air at the bulbs. and i would have the bulbs facing you; when you open the case. Do you think its reasonable to use 2 150 hps in that small of a cab? I wont be using a reflector; so 2 lights will compensate for that and i will be packing in a SOG so i need good light penetration and to be able to fill the whole cab.

Last edited: