What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Snow White Micro Grow

ReeferDan

great thread! i just got done reading the whole thing.

Did you ever get a chance to get temp/humidity readings for your red greenery style tubs?
Im on day 22 of flower for my first run ever using the same tubs as you and im trying to compare my temp/humidity readings with other tubbers.

Congrats on the great grow! Cant wait to see what your other plant puts out.

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
wow, great job on the cfl grow! gets me thinkin about this winter...lol!. congrats on the nice smoke, and here's to many more! :joint:
good luck on the re-veg!

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
B got the chop this evening...I'll post some pics as soon as she's lost some of her weight, so you can get a good comparison between the two phenotypes.

I've already trimmed her up and have started the drying process. She's back on 18/6...

I also did a mini ice water extraction with the trim. I didn't have enough to run multiple grades of hash, so I'm just letting the strained water evaporate. Once it's all gone, I'll go in with a card to collect the goodness.

frozen_herb

I can't wait to see the pics!!! Which pheno do you think you like the best? I would assume "B" due to the fact that you are re-vegging for a mother.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Nice! Sounds like all is well in the land of ganja. What are your plans for the next round? Will you be using that new mini cab too? As frozen says, can't wait to see some pics. Enjoy your harvest :joint:

-Funk

SoulShine

Hey Pan-Op! Nice grow. Have enjoyed following it and have learned from you. I agree that I will definately use dolomite lime my next time around. My PH is all over the place. First high then low. Constantly fighting it and it's adverse affects. Heat also got the best of me and stressed my plants. I've been busy on a new grow setup. Guess I'll have to start a new thread as my old one won't really apply anymore. I've moved into the closet.

Again, nice going, and I hope you will post a pic or two of your mom after chopping and how she comes back, cause I'm intersted in how to do that too. Appreciate all your advise and encouragement, my man!

Looking forward to your next grow. Smoke a bud for me!

SS

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Well, lets make it official...

Snow White Micro Grow: Round 2

Here's what I've been up to for the last few weeks; the Panopticab Micro...

And here's what I've got in it...

3 Snow White Clones; 2 of C and 1 of B, a little over two weeks old. I gave the other B clone to frozen_herb, who babysat all four of them while I built the Micro...

And the original B plant, who will be revegged into a mother. I've yet to replant her into a smaller pot, but I'll have plenty of time to take care of it tomorrow...

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
It's one day shy of week 3, so it's update time...

My ladies were looking kinda rough, all curling under like a claw. If I spotted the issue correctly, it looks like it's due to a high concentration of nitrogen. I was pretty unhappy with my most recent soil mixture, so I decided that I'd mix it up.

So, I figured I'd give dry nutes a go...

I used a pretty common formula:
Soil (roughly 15 gallons and contains dolomite lime)
Vermiculite (around 4 gallons)
Blood Meal (2 cups)
Bone Meal (4 cups)

Here's some closeups of Clones B1, C1, and C2 (from left to right):

They're lookin' kinda burnt. Whoops... Now I shouldn't have to use liquid nutes very often during this grow, if at all. Talk about low maintenance...

Oh, and I'm starting to see some new growth off of the mom too. You have to look closely, but it's right there in the middle of the bud...

Here they all are, after transplant...

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
hey panopticist! sorry i haven't been around in a while... i kind of just figured out how to subscribe to threads! it is cool to see you go all the way through to harvest. in my cab i was using 252w too, but it was hard to make good use of the space to pull off a decent harvest. i only had 2 plants and yielded an 1/8 total!!! looks like you had better luck... mad props!

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
I'm coming up on week 4 of Veg, so it's time for an update...

Since I've last posted, I've FIMmed my ladies, as well as implemented some LST on the C phenotypes. I'm using these sweet little plant-safe velcro strips that you can cut to length. As you can see, I'm using an extra-long velcro strip to secure the strips attached to the plants.

I've been watering (with plain water) according to the lightness of the pot, which is usually around 3-4 days. I've skipped using Cal-Mag since I've switched my soil mixture, which already contains some dolomite lime. It looks like my Nitrogen toxicity has leveled out, as the clawing has all but stopped. I like things low maintenance, so these dry ferts have been a godsend...

As for my mom, she was transplanted again into a wider/shorter pot, which fit a little better into my veg cabinet. She's been putting off more new growth lately, pretty impressive really. I love how her bud leaves have just exploded out...

I'll catch up with you again, soon...

SoulShine

Wow, thats some job on the mother Pan op. Did you also trim the roots? I'm about ready to try to bonsai one of mine for a mom, but I'm scared! Ha! I know she is root bound so need to trim the roots too. Guess I just need to do it. She's getting a little out of hand. I've already took a bunch of clones from her and hate to waste the rest but will have no room for them. Will probably clone more anyway and then cull out the weaker ones when they get put in the dirt. I don't have anyone to give the clones to as I have not told anybody I am growing!

Glad to see she's coming back so well. Nice job, bro!

SS

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
SoulShine said:
Wow, thats some job on the mother Pan op. Did you also trim the roots?

Hell yes! They were running all around the bottom of the 8" pot, so I chopped off more than half of the root mass just to fit it in the 2 liter. The 2 liter bottle ended up being way too tall, so I cut off about another 25% of the root mass, leaving about 25% of the original roots. As far as I can tell, she doesn't mind. I imagine removing the old soil and roots revitalized her, so feel free to chop here and there; think of it as a makeover...

As you said, mothers generally produce more clones than necessary, but it's just maintenance, really. I'm willing to cut & discard a few clones here and there to guarantee that I have quality female genetics at my disposal...

As a matter of fact, once I have a bunch of clones, I'm going to perform genetic research and create an army of sentient Snow White Clone Warriors who'll obey my every command and assist me world domination. They will be merciless...

If I don't smoke them first...

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Hey man good to hear things are going well. I ran into issues when I added bone meal, blood meal, and dolomite lime to that tree and shrub mix. It's super hot so I just flush every time I water. Seems to help them out some so the plants don't burn up too bad.

Great avatar by the way, I can't wait for the new season to start.

-Funk

SoulShine

panopticist said:
As a matter of fact, once I have a bunch of clones, I'm going to perform genetic research and create an army of sentient Snow White Clone Warriors who'll obey my every command and assist me world domination. They will be merciless...

If I don't smoke them first...

LOL Pan-op!! The Snow White Army makes me think of soldiers dressed like Snow White! Ha! Give them a little kiss and they kick your @ss! Ha!

How are they smoking? Did I miss a smoke report?

Wanted to also comment on your previous post of:
1. Use dolomite lime to buffer pH. I totally agree and have been told this by others. I had all kinds of PH problems. Up and down, always adjusting compared to the last watering's readings. I was like you and had a hard time finding it. Finally did though and have it in my newest moonshine mix.

2. Use larger pots for flowering. I've recently secured a few 2gal buckets that will offer nearly twice the volume of my current 8" pots. I learned that downward growth is proportional to upward growth... Also agree. I vegged for a longer time and KNOW I am rootbound. I read it's good to transplant right before you go into flower, but am not sure how you could do that in soil, if you are scrogging or even LSTing. The scrog screen would make it really hard to transplant with the plant growing through it like it does.
3. Use HID for flowering. I am not saying CFLs won't work for flower, because my own thread proves that statement false. But would like to trade out most of my CFLs for a 150w HPS, which will require less energy, allow for a remote ballast, and provide larger, more dense nuggets... Absolutely! Lifeless is getting great buds with his CFL system, but he is seriously dialed in.
4. Sterilize soil prior to use. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is where my spider mite infestation began. When I grew mushies, I had to pressure cook my BRF medium to kill off any endospores, so I'm researching methods to do the same for soil. This is the one I have problems with. By doing so, you will kill off beneficial micro organisms. Everything I've read says not to sterilize the soil. I think if you do, you will have to add back all those things, like calcium, magnesium, etc by adding nutrients that will be killed along with the harmful things. If it was the cause of your infestation, I wouldn't blame you for thinking this way, but you might want to rethink this one. Of course, I'm no expert. Just what I have read. I am real curious what you come up with on your research and what you decide to do. I hope you have no more problems with pests, but you handled it well last time and made the best of it. I don't know it I would have had the same patience you did!

Anyway, let us know. Thanks man.

SS

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
@FunkBomb: Holy shit, where have you been? I assume all goes well in the FunkLand hydrohut...

@SoulShine: They smoked well, and you didn't miss a smoke report; I was far too lazy to post one. Since my harvest was mediocre at best, I decided to show Mother Nature my contempt by blazing through her bounty at a record pace (with the help of my Lil' Lady, of course...) Either way, I promise I will put my literary talents to use at the end of this round. I owe ICMAG that much, at least.

As far as my post-grow self-analysis goes, I'm 3 for 4. Others have recommended against the soil sterilization, so I skipped that one...but the others are being implemented in my current grow.

For instance, my new soil mix had a serving of dolomite lime mixed right in, so all I had to add was bone and blood meal. The dry ferts have also been a blast, I only have to monitor the plant's moisture level, and have little to no risk for over fertilization.

About the whole Scrog/Transplant issue: I've given this considerable thought, and will LST the plants until they are ready to flower. At which point, I'll transplant into the 2 gallon pots, attach the screens, and flip to 12/12. Pretraining with LST should hopefully level out the canopy and fill the area that the screen will cover, without the use of an actual screen; allowing for easy transplanting.

Instead of sterilizing the soil, I've been maintaining a strict regimen of neem oil applications. Every time I water, I blast 'em with some neem. So far I've seen no signs of spider mites and plan on keeping it that way. Using the neem as a preventative measure rather than a cure for an existing problem is really working out, so soil sterilization seems totally unnecessary in retrospect.

Thanks for dropping in everyone, veg is a lonely time...

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
We're beginning week five of veg, and I'm starting to get edgy...

I'm pretty proud of my little group, they've really been kicking out the growth lately.

Here's my revegged B plant, I guess I can officially start calling her a mom now, right? It looks like I'm going to have two decent sized clones to clip during the next week...

As for the girls, they're lookin' nice and bushy since I've LST'd them earlier this week. In a few more days, I'll go in for another training session, as I can already start to see some growth that is getting a little wild.

The B clone is first, followed by the two C clones...

I've seen no evidence of spider mites, so all seems well on that front.

The soil has been holding up well, with no signs of over/under fertilization; I love these dry nutes. All I do is administer plain water once the pot gets light, apply neem oil, and I'm done.

I'm starting to wonder when I should flip to 12/12. My last grow I only vegged for a month, and they got relatively large. However, I didn't pretrain them prior to their flowering period; so that might account for some of their height. I was also disappointed in my yield, so this extra veg time is sure to allow for more budsites to develop.

I should be straight to purchase and mod a 150w HPS next weekend, so that should assist in packing on more weight. Once I have it up and running, I'd like to go ahead and transplant into 2 gallon containers, remove straps and add screen, and flip to 12/12.

Any thoughts?

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Your plans for the 150w HPS sound good. The pre-flower training will help keep the plants down when they are flowered. The combo of the HPS and the 2 gallon containers will make your yield much heavier. Are you planning on buying a security light and making it a remote ballast system?

-Funk