What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

micro carbon scrubber

sugabear_II

Veteran
Micro carbon scrubber

This design is adapted from a larger design built by Haps that uses a big net pot and a milk crate for full room odor control. This one is designed to work with computer fans and is intended for micro grows.

Materials;

Carbon - you don't need much.
3" net pot
4" net pot
hot air register filters or some other filter like material (edit: pantyhose is a great option here that people have actually found to be superior - a pair of the type found in those plastic eggs/balls is adequate for one scrubber and should run less than a dollar)
duct tape (but of course!)

So here we go.

Tape a couple of pieces of filter over the outside of the 4" net pot. (edit: or just stretch the pantyhose over the net pot.)

Here it is done.

edit: this step can be accomplished using pantyhose instead and may in fact be easier and provide better airflow - this is what i happened to have laying around at the time.

Now add a layer of carbon into the bottom - maybe 1/4" deep.

Now add filter to the inside of your 3" net pot.

I did this in a rush and I have a tendency to just throw things together, I am sure this could be done more carefully but this is what I did.

So now we put the 3" in the 4" and add carbon a little at a time between the 3" and the 4". Pressing down and shaking it occasionally will ensure fill is good and even.

Now we tape the gap.

Here it is done. Again I'm sure people can do this and make it nicer.

So now I tape it to my intake on this pci slot fan which I like for exhausting micro grow spaces.

Now we are done. Air flow is still very good.

I built this for a drying box and it kept the smell under control - considering I had about 3+oz dry of stinky buds in there I feel it should work well for the micro grower.

I'm going to give it a run in a few weeks when I need to flower a plant in the cab I usually veg in.

So I challenge you micro growers out there to try this design out and tell me what you think. It is meant to be cheap and easy to assemble and should not only cut down odor but works as a light trap.

suga

edit: so what do you do if you don't have a set of net pots and/or easy access to a hydro store - well you look for something else to use instead at a place you probably do have access to - a walmart - and here's what bongasaurus did with some black wire mesh pencil holders like this

and construct using the same principals (big thanks to bongasaurus for the great add on DIY w/pics :yes: )....

bongasaurus said:
So I went to Walmart today to get me some supplies to build a scrubber. I still hadnt really decided on if i should go with this design or red greenerys rubbermaid scrubber. I dedided on this as it will just take up much less space and seems like about the same carbon coverage.

i found the mesh pencil holder sugarbear pointed out but no jumbo sizes left in stock but i managed to find a bigger one elsewhere. I got my supplies together and i was ready to build. It seems like there must be other growers around here, Walmart was sold out of activated carbon too :redface: I also found that elsewhere. Along with some duct tape, about a foot of weather stipping, some pantyhose and duct clamp

I had to remove the foam cushion and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the pencil holders. Then wrapped them in the panty hose. I rolled up the netting on the smaller one leaving the extra up top which i tucked inbetween the 2 mesh cyliners after I had filled them with the carbon. Then jammed the weather stripping in, and finally attached the clamp. She just needs to be hooked to some ducting and then up to the fan one the hopeful lades start flowering.

Thanks Sugabear! Just thought Id share my take on your scrubber desgin. Hope this might help others out

well ic wont let me upload pics again :bashhead:Ill edit em in when its working

Last edited:

Lemon

Nice design Sugabear. I very well think i may build one of those sometime soon. does it need to be the only vent in the space the smell is coming from, or can you just place it anywhere in the general area / room?

sugabear_II

Veteran
lemon - this would be used for the exhaust fan so that all air being pulled out of the grow space is treated. this will be the most effective way to control odor. If you have multiple exhaust fans you would need to make a filter for each. While you could put it in the grow space to recycle and treat the air in the grow space it will work better treating the air on the way out of the grow space. This is what the big setups do - either they pull through the filter and exhaust or exhaust pushing through the filter.

That is a good point - this could be used as a push through filter if needed.

Alphacat
- yes you could use coffee filters or screen. These just happened to be the materials I had around. The idea though is for it to be very easy and that is one thing the net pots give you which is a pre-made frame - if you were to use screen in place of the filter material I used it would work well - if you tried to do it with screen without the net pots it would be a pain in the arse since you'd need to build a frame for the screen to go on.... make sense?

Turnip

If this works for a grow, it's great. I've made something of similiar dimensions, but it couldn't the handle the smell of a c99 4 weeks into flower...fingers crossed!

Lemon: a scrubber that small won't be able to clean a whole room out, so you'd want to put it right over your exhaust fan. Prefferably before the fan, so it pulls the air through the filter rather than push it.

alphacat: coffee filters probably won't let enough air pass through. what you need is pretty much something to keep the carbon in place, so mosquito net or something would do fine.

[edit] man, was I slow...

alphacat

Heya, sorry for the lack of clarity - I meant using coffee filters/screens inside the net pots instead of filter foam or batting - not freestanding. Heh.

Last edited:

PHB

Very cool scrubber sugarbear! How many cfm is the pc fan you use? I have a fan that is ~40cfm. Would that work?

Thanks,
PHB

sugabear_II

Veteran
PHB said:
Very cool scrubber sugarbear! How many cfm is the pc fan you use? I have a fan that is ~40cfm. Would that work?

Thanks,
PHB

I thought the fan was rated for 60 cfm - but the only one I can find available now is rated at 35 cfm - doesn't look exactly the same though.

I use one of these to cool my veg cab with up to 70watts of cfls.

I don't know if one of these could cool a 100+ watt CFL grow effectively. You might need two.

However the design should be easily adapted to the regular non-pci slot fans too.

J

JackKerouac

alphacat said:
Panty hose might work good too.

Pantyhose does not belong in this hobby. Or perhaps it may. Do they still come in eggs? Because that was pretty cool.

alphacat

TheOneWill said:
Where could I buy the materials for this project?

Carbon - Aquarium Section of Pet store (used in filters)

3" & 4" net pots - Hydro store or possibly garden supply

filters/filter-like material - Hardware store, the bigger the store the better. The filter stuff is in the HVAC section. You can also use thin sheets of filter floss from the Aquarium section of the Pet store as well.

duct tape - anywhere.

T

TheOneWill

alphacat said:
Carbon - Aquarium Section of Pet store (used in filters)

3" & 4" net pots - Hydro store or possibly garden supply

filters/filter-like material - Hardware store, the bigger the store the better. The filter stuff is in the HVAC section. You can also use thin sheets of filter floss from the Aquarium section of the Pet store as well.

duct tape - anywhere.
Sweet thanks. :D :joint:

G

nice mini scrubber...hey a little off topic but has any one used this product it sounds fantastic
http://www.myodorcontrol.com/

NOW WHAT IS T-2 AND HOW DOES IT WORK ??
First let me say T-2 is not an air freshener, although it will freshen the air in your home or business. T-2 will eliminate all odors in your home or business caused by pet odors, smoking odors, cooking odors, as well as odors caused by urine, mold, mildew, or anything else. T-2 is a brand new product based on the naturally occuring element Ti02 or titanium oxide. Without getting into great depth T-2 is a non depleting light reactive agent manufactured using nano-technology. When T-2 is applied to a surface light rays striking that surface causes a chemical reaction to be repeated in that area and organic matter is broken down. This is called photocatalyst reaction. This photocatalyst reaction then causes hydroxyl radicals to be released into the air. Hydroxyl radicals are among the most powerful oxidizing radicals. They are even stronger that chlorine, ozone, and peroxide. They act as very powerful disinfecting agents by oxidizing the cells of microorganisms causing rupturing of those cells and destroying the organism. This oxidation also breaks down the key elements in odors and gases eliminating them. As these oxidizing radicals are being produced they start floating around the room attaching themselves to organisms, gases, odors, ect. and destroying them in the process. As the heating or air conditioning unit comes on they are further distributed throughout the room and house cleaning and purifying as they go. Governments and corporations have been taking advantage of using TiO2 for the last several years, but just recently we have turned it into a simple formula for the general public.

T-2 FEATURES
Since T-2 is a odorless, colorless and totally transparent liquid, its uses are virtually unlimited. Once applied to a surface T-2 does not easily come off. Even if that surface is washed 10 times repeatedly 75% to 80% or more of the antibacterial effect remains along with 60% to 75% of the deodorizing effect. You can spray it on a glass window and you can not see it after it dries in several minutes.

WHERE DO I APPLY T-2 AND HOW LONG WILL IT LAST??
You apply T-2 by spraying it on things where normal sunlight is or in a room or area where electric lights are. Which means just about anywhere. As the light hits the area where the T-2 is, it continually keeps it active. When the lights go out T-2 will continue working for several more hours. You only need about 2 hours a day of light either sun or man made to keep an area clean and purified. T-2 works on almost any amount of light but use a 60 watt bulb or higher for best results. Sun light works best. As an example, after smoking in a car T-2 was applied to the dashboard and top of the seats and headrest. Several minutes later the smell was gone. The car was in sun light. REMEMBER T-2 destroys the odor so the odor doesn't come back when the lights go out. As a matter of fact many car dealerships use T-2 to eliminate smoke and other odors in there used cars before they sell them.
In a home or business apply T-2 to things like windows, window sills, window shades, inside lamp shades, directly on the tops of furniture, table tops, walls, light fixtures, on ceilings lights, carpet in an area that's not walked on alot, baseboards, and other areas where light gets to. You can apply it to and on almost anything where light is present. You don't have to spray it on everything- just spray a couple of squirts on some things spread evenly around the room. Problem areas such as cat litter box areas, dog sleeping areas, where garbage is kept, musty basements, where a cat or dog has peed on the carpet, etc can be sprayed more heavily and usually directly on the area.
How long will T-2 last once applied? We have found T-2 lasting up to 3 years or so however we recommend reapplication around 2 years or so in homes and 1 year in businesses with a lot of contaminates such as restaurants and kennels. This means the average cost to a home is 1/2 cents a day, far less than just the cost of electricity in a typical air cleaner.

SAFETY
Since T-2 is made from safe, non-toxic materials, even if it were accidentally ingested it is safe. In fact T-2 is sprayed on fruits and vegetables being shipped from overseas to keep them from spoiling.
T-2 is such a strong odor remover that it will actually take away the smell of fresh cut flowers or other desirable odors, so if you want a room or other area to retain some of the smells present, avoid treating the area near those items.

PLEASE NOTE:
Refrain from using T-2 near pet rabbits. Rabbits are the only animal whose scent is meant to stay, and they apply their scent from underneath their chin. If T-2 is applied near their hutch or cage, they will rub their chin raw trying to apply scent to their living environment.

HOW TO USE T-2
Lightly clean or dust all surfaces where an application is appropriate Hold the T-2 Applicator Bottle about 6 inches away from the surface. While pumping the sprayer, use a lateral (side to side) hand motion, moving about 8-10 inches across the surface per pump.

FOR BEST RESULTS...
Ensure any kind of light strikes the treated surface for a minimum of 2 hours per day for complete protection. Sunlight works great, however, where sunlight is not available or at night use a 60 Watt bulbs or higher. Allow 72 hours in areas of 200 square feet or more for maximum effect to be evident, or as little as 6 hours in a car.

SUGGESTED TREATMENT SURFACES:
Recommended treatment surfaces: Window sills, wall space, drapes, blinds, furniture, lamp shades, dash board, front car seats, all surfaces below or around lights. T-2 dries completely clear once applied, so you can even apply it directly to windows!

Last edited:

ezbake

T2 seems cool but i'd be afraid to spray it inside my grow area if it was micro, maybe im wrong? Im just paranoid about that stuff

I'd definately spray it in the room of my microgrow, just not directly in the grow box

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Nice job Sugabear, efficient and effective. Feels good to build stuff that works doesn't it?
H

Latest posts

Latest posts