What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

micro carbon scrubber

sugabear_II

Veteran
waterstrider said:
could you use dryer sheets for a filter kind of like a spoof?

maybe - but it would wear out quickly and would probably mask more than remove odor like activated carbon will.

-suga

G

...?...
another question(s)... unless i missed it, how would i power a computer fan through a regular socket?, n where to get this fan.... closet mesh pots are an hour away, can i use cups or somthin else? ideas?

sugabear_II

Veteran
waterstrider,

yes I think you could use dryer sheets in place of the filter material along with carbon to build an effective scrubber.

To power a computer fan from a regular socket you'll need and A/C to D/C converter - examples are all around you like the charger for your cell phone. Computer fans run on D/C - 12 volt or variable voltage = variable control. You'll need a converter and then just strip the two wires coming off of it and connect to the two wires on your computer fan.

I'm not sure what you could use inplace of the net pots - they're kinda what make this DIY work. I would think that using cups with holes in them will not work well as the cups will either fall apart of not have enough airflow.

You may want to consider one of the other styles of DIY carbon scrubbers such as the SunIsShining classic cylinder type.

Another option might be something similar to a milk crate.

Basically you're looking for something that is already full of holes and you can get two sizes of - one that will nest inside the other with a layer of carbon in between.

Let us know if you find any good alternatives.

-suga

G

thanks much.
could i use pretty much any cell phone charger? will it say 12 volt converter on the adapter or any markings to look.
Q#2(roots hangin out of container alittle.)(no room for larger contianer)
(sex them then transplant, or is that to late?)

sugabear_II

Veteran
waterslider - doesn't have to be from a cell phone, in fact I probably wouldn't recommend that - I was just using that as an example of a common A/C - D/C converter.

You can either go to radioshack or walmart and buy a replacement A/C adapter - the kind they make for when you loose the one that you portable CD player came with - which is what I would recommend as you can control the voltage on those.

OR

you can canabilize a spare one you have or find from some item (like your old portable cd player) - they should say voltage and amperage and the what not on there - as long as you have more than enough amps you should be fine.

Lower voltage with a P/C = lower speed which can be used to control cabinet temps if they are too cool in a seedling or clone situation.

This is not a problem with computer fans - they're made to be controlled - in fact you can buy thermal control units at the geeky computer stores that will control your fans to control the temps - I think I saw someone with computer grow using one of these - pretty cool if you ask me.

waterstrider - Check out the tutorial in my sig for some help on connecting your fans.

Aslo.. For cool cheap little scrubber.. Check out the Febreze TrueAir. I got mine for like $14 at a target and it seems to move alot of air :)... But I am gonna try the dryer sheets thing too... Make it smell so fresh n so clean clean ^_^

sugabear_II

Veteran
I happened to be at walmart today and noticed that in the stationary section there are two black wire mesh "pencil holders", a small and a large one that happen to nest together quiet nicely for this type of setup.

-suga

edit: here's a picture of the jumbo model of what I saw at walmart today - they have a smaller one that fits inside nicely and would work for this DIY.

Last edited:

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
sugabear_II said:
I happened to be at walmart today and noticed that in the stationary section there are two black wire mesh "pencil holders", a small and a large one that happen to nest together quiet nicely for this type of setup.

-suga

edit: here's a picture of the jumbo model of what I saw at walmart today - they have a smaller one that fits inside nicely and would work for this DIY.

now thats what im talkin about!

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
So I went to Walmart today to get me some supplies to build a scrubber. I still hadnt really decided on if i should go with this design or red greenerys rubbermaid scrubber. I dedided on this as it will just take up much less space and seems like about the same carbon coverage.

i found the mesh pencil holder sugarbear pointed out but no jumbo sizes left in stock but i managed to find a bigger one elsewhere. I got my supplies together and i was ready to build. It seems like there must be other growers around here, Walmart was sold out of activated carbon too :redface: I also found that elsewhere. Along with some duct tape, about a foot of weather stipping, some pantyhose and duct clamp

I had to remove the foam cushion and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the pencil holders. Then wrapped them in the panty hose. I rolled up the netting on the smaller one leaving the extra up top which i tucked inbetween the 2 mesh cyliners after I had filled them with the carbon. Then jammed the weather stripping in, and finally attached the clamp. She just needs to be hooked to some ducting and then up to the fan one the hopeful lades start flowering.

Thanks Sugabear! Just thought Id share my take on your scrubber desgin. Hope this might help others out

well ic wont let me upload pics again :bashhead:Ill edit em in when its working

Last edited:

sugabear_II

Veteran
great job bongasaurus - I'm going to see if I can add that to the first post as an alternative construction :yes:

Ganico

Veteran
Bongasaurus- Definitely let us know how it works, that looks good

What size fan are these "pencil case" suited for?

Last edited:

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
thanks! just so happens that the large pencil holder i ended up getting from Staples perfectly fits 4inch dryerhose ducting. i just tightened it on with that clamp

i havent hooked it up yet but i held the hose infront of my 92mm pc fan. it seemed to slow it down quite a bit but ill be back with more pics and temps later

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
this is one of the most creative things ive seen in some time! someone should sticky this. suga bear good to you see again man long time no see.

krly

Sugabear....I don't want to hijack your thread but my post count doesn't allow me to pm you. Back in the old OG days was it you that posted a quick method to make ice hash with a coffee filter ? If so, would you mind re-posting it ? Thanks (and Hello, from Anaheim)
krly

Mr~SCROG

nice,.. never had luck with these so ill have to try this style,.. i like the fresh smelling dryer sheet idea with it too.