What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

micro carbon scrubber

Fat Tone

I know some people have fully tested this design out by now.Is it handleing the odor? I just bought all the materials to make this.I have one question though.I am making it like bongasourus did with the pencil holders.Do I put the carbon in the inside of the smaller one like on sugabears design? Or do I leave it empty? I noticed that the last pick on bongasourus didn't have carbon in the inside pencil holder.

spankissimo

I know some people have fully tested this design out by now.Is it handleing the odor? I just bought all the materials to make this.I have one question though.I am making it like bongasourus did with the pencil holders.Do I put the carbon in the inside of the smaller one like on sugabears design? Or do I leave it empty? I noticed that the last pick on bongasourus didn't have carbon in the inside pencil holder.

I made you a sketch with the layering, hope it helps...

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Does the carbon sheet work? Thought they were'nt strong enough..good job though and I could very well be wrong..
I had numerous nightmares making a micro scrubber for my 120mm fan..the 80mm was easy-peasy using sugar bears design..
Does anyone have any good ideas for a 120mm scrubber??
Thanks

Fat Tone

Well I built one of these carbon scrubbers a few weaks ago with the pencil holder design.It helped a little bit.But I think its to small for a dresser grow.Maybe if I had two of them it would work(which I plan on trying out).Maybe my weed is just way to stinky.I don't know.I think it is because you can't fit that much carbon in between the two pencil holders.

One thing that does work is those ONA dispensers with the ONA Pro can.That stuff really works.$22 for the dispenser.$16 for the spray that goes in it.Make sure its the ONA Pro in the Blue bottle.I have mine set for every 15 minutes.Trust me.This stuff works.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
This is an amazing find! I was reading about the stell mesh pencil cup DIY method, on another board, and then I started thinking to myself, "Couldn't I just use 2 different sized net pots?"

Apparently, I can! So I will build one and post up a pic of the results. The one I will be building consists of a 5" net pot inside of a 8" one. This should give me a bit more carbon to scrub through, and it should still be able to work with a pc fan. Stay tuned...

Just wanted to say THANK YOU sugabear! I tried to make a DIY carbon filter in the past and I couldn't get the thing together well and it ended up costing me nearly as much as a store bought filter would have.

I went with your idea but used 5 and 6" net pot as the shell and pantyhose to seal it up, plus a little polyfill to fill in the gap between the pots and prevent air from passing through anything but the carbon layer. Fits perfectly over a 4" fan and I only spent $1.75 for the net pots and $1 for the pantyhose (already had the carbon and polyfil)

Time will tell if it works, but for the cost I could put another filter on the other side of my fan and I'll bet that would take care of even the nastiest of smells!

+rep my friend... +rep

Do you think its possible to use this scrubber for 1 or 2 quality 120mm PC fans. Will be growing 0.5-1L SOG 12/12 from seed with 110w PLL (or 70w hps, haven't decided yet) in a small cabinet (1.4ft2).

I've just build my cab and almost done with everything except exhaust ventilation...

I need your experience guys! Help a brother out!

I tested it with two 55w PLLs with no fans and the temperature were 30c after about 40-50minutes. So it might be possible.

Anyone who have made a scrubber like the one in this thread, what do u think?

id try it with one fan, no filter, on 5v so it spins slow as fuck (like 12v + filter airspeed)
so you can test how hot it gets, the summer is over & done

Arf

id try it with one fan, no filter, on 5v so it spins slow as fuck (like 12v + filter airspeed)
so you can test how hot it gets, the summer is over & done

Depending on the model, I find a lot of 12v fans wont start at 5v. I run mine at 7.5v off a power brick to keep their noise down and prolong the bearing life.

Arf

any pc fan should run fine on 5v, its what theyre made to do, i would blame the cheap adapter ;)

I don't run cheap adapters.
I have tested dozens of different model 12v PC fans on laboratory bench power supplies over the years. Many 12v fans simply wont start on 5v, you can spin them with your finger and they may start up.

A better idea is to get a DC fan speed controller from eBay plug that into 12v and trim the voltage down to what is appropriate for the fan.

hempgrowingnewb

Has anyone seen 3D printed DIY carbon filters?

I am having hard time of finding suitable materials for DIY filter for PC Grow. If someone knows already made 3D printed version I would love to get one. Otherwise I might design one myself but I do not have experience in 3D printing so it might take a while until I get it right.

Also, do these kind of filters work? Stack 3 of them for example. Would be much easier to use these vs granulated with 3D printed scrubber. http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/588546/

Latest posts

Latest posts