What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ReikoX's Workshop 2017

ODF

Also loving the light. Love that you used silent quality fans. Manufacturers using noisy fans annoy me. Excellent work!

AntiGaz

..:binbèn:..
As promised, here is the build of my new light.

First I layed out the COB holders and punched the centers for easier drilling.
View Image

Next I marked holes for wiring and hanging. I'm short a D-ring, so I'll have to pick one up.
View Image

Next I drilled the holes for hanging and the COB holders. Tappping these is turning out to be a bitch. I broke two taps before getting the hang of it.
View Image

I sanded the heatsink where the COBS will go and wiped it down real well with alcohol.
View Image

Next step is to mount the COBS. Take the COB holder and flip it over. The chip clicks in place, make sure the positive signs match up. Add a thin layer of thermal compound, then attach the holders firmly to the heatsink.
View Image

continued...

Next I wired them up in series, so negative from the previous COB goes to positive of the next COB and so on. I put a power cord on the driver and hooked up the positive and negative wires to the COBS.
View Image

A quick bench test confirms that the lights are wired correctly. I'm still seeing spots.
View Image

Next I hooked up the fans and ran the wires for the remote driver. The fans are simply connected by shoving the rubber feet between the heatsink fins. They may be overkill, but they sure are silent!
View Image

Finally I mounted the driver in the electronics section. That little box on top is the 12v power supply for the fans.
View Image

I put these plants in there for a couple of hours to see how temps hold. I will transplant later tonight, throw up the screen and watch them take off!
View Image

After 24 hours the temps were in the range of 75°F - 80°F, so I transplanted the plants and fed them. The right plant is Juanita la Lagrimosa and the right plant is Cannatonic (which allegedly is also Juanita la Lagrimosa). I've grown Juanita in this can several times before, so I thought it would be a good test for my new light.

Hey ReikoX,

I almost finished disassembling my new pc case and I wanted to ask you what kind of COB you installed if it is not a problem..?

Tomorrow, if I have time, load some photos in my thread to show it to all of you.

Still compliments for the great work.

Byez.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Excellent work ReikoX!

the plants will enjoy the new light forsure

Also loving the light. Love that you used silent quality fans. Manufacturers using noisy fans annoy me. Excellent work!

Dank you all! I sure hope the girls enjoy the light. They have a bit of transplant shock at the moment, but should snap out of it. I hope to throw the screen in there in the next couple of days.

Hey ReikoX,

I almost finished disassembling my new pc case and I wanted to ask you what kind of COB you installed if it is not a problem..?

Tomorrow, if I have time, load some photos in my thread to show it to all of you.

Still compliments for the great work.

Byez.
I posted a complete parts list a few pages back:

Parts list:
CXB3590 3000k 36V - 4@ $54.92 + $8.99 shipping
5.886" x 30" - 1@ $52.20 + $24.71 shipping and handling
HLG 240H C1750B Meanwell driver - 1@ $62.19 + $7.99 shipping
Noctua 140mm NF-A14 FLX - 4@ $21.00
12v 1A power supply - 1@ 5.99
Ideal holder for CXB3590 - 4@ $3.50 + $6.56 shipping

These are US prices and shipping.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Good information on the COB build, kudos to ReikoX
for that thoughtful post.

Thanks DC, I've learned so much from this site, anything I can do to give back is the least I can do.

Yeah, his guide is really interesting.

I want to do something like that for my new micro case but I don't know if I will be able. :biggrin:

You can most certainly do it in a PC, you just need smaller COBs and a smaller driver. If you tried to run this in a PC you would fry your plants. In my 2' x 3' I think it is too bright and i need to put the dimmer on. My PC has COBs in it, Vero 7s I believe and running 4 on a 50-watt driver. You can see the initial build here, and here. I did a slight rebuild here.

If I were to do it again I would use the Cree XTE like in this thread, or possibly the Samsung strips like this thread.

Of course, people are getting great results with off-the-shelf LEDs in this thread. Dollar per watt, the off-the-shelf are the best value. The technology is changing fast, just a few years ago purple LED grow lights were all the rage.

Sorry for the library of links, but that should get you started in the right direction AntiGaz. :tiphat:

AntiGaz

..:binbèn:..
Thanks DC, I've learned so much from this site, anything I can do to give back is the least I can do.

You can most certainly do it in a PC, you just need smaller COBs and a smaller driver. If you tried to run this in a PC you would fry your plants. In my 2' x 3' I think it is too bright and i need to put the dimmer on. My PC has COBs in it, Vero 7s I believe and running 4 on a 50-watt driver. You can see the initial build here, and here. I did a slight rebuild here.

If I were to do it again I would use the Cree XTE like in this thread, or possibly the Samsung strips like this thread.

Of course, people are getting great results with off-the-shelf LEDs in this thread. Dollar per watt, the off-the-shelf are the best value. The technology is changing fast, just a few years ago purple LED grow lights were all the rage.

Sorry for the library of links, but that should get you started in the right direction AntiGaz. :tiphat:

I don't know how to thank you ReikoX!!

This informations will help me to find the right way (after I've managed to translate everything naturally :biggrin:).

Ass soon as you can and if you want, come to my thread, you will find a picture of the new pc case and its project (do not expect anything extraordinary).

Thanks again bro, I will not forget it. :tiphat:

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
A few nights ago we had a 6 1/2 hour power failure. Well, when I came back my whole house reeked of weed. I guess those carbon filters only do their job when they are running. :biggrin:

doams

A few nights ago we had a 6 1/2 hour power failure. Well, when I came back my whole house reeked of weed. I guess those carbon filters only do their job when they are running. :biggrin:

experienced the same thing. If the fan is not moving there is strong ganja smell leaking only after few minutes coming out of box smelling the whole place fast.
better to have one of those APC units as backup if smells are issue..
planning to buy one. think it can handle the fans and the lights too for like half hour maybe longer gotta test it..
but if it can power the pc and lcd for 20minutes it should power the 60w leds plus fans for some time maybe for 50 minutes..or just pc fans for few hours for sure.
it would also look good near pc box :D

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
These units are decent, can run a fan easily:

picture.php

From here:

https://www.herringtoncatalog.com/products/zero-emissions-rechargeable-electric-mini-generator/

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Had the same thing happen once, they really scrub the whole house!

experienced the same thing. If the fan is not moving there is strong ganja smell leaking only after few minutes coming out of box smelling the whole place fast.
better to have one of those APC units as backup if smells are issue..
planning to buy one. think it can handle the fans and the lights too for like half hour maybe longer gotta test it..
but if it can power the pc and lcd for 20minutes it should power the 60w leds plus fans for some time maybe for 50 minutes..or just pc fans for few hours for sure.
it would also look good near pc box

Something like that is a good solution to the problem. A power outage like this is rare here. Luckily, it's not really an issue for me this time. I only had one plant in flower, Zak Haze. In fact, here she is.

Zak Haze at 36 daze
picture.php

Side
picture.php

The Zak Haze clones in the screens are taking off and need some training. They should flip by the end of this week or they may outgrow the cab.

Now on to the COB cab, I got the screen installed and will start training the plants. They seem to have rebounded from their transplant shock and are putting on new green growth. I'm growing a Cannatonic clone I picked up at a dispensary on the left, and my CBD Juanita la Lagrimosa clone on the right. I have grown this plant in here a few times, so it should be a good comparison with the COBs. Aparently Cannatonic is Juanita, so lets see how their selection compares to mine.
picture.php

Cannatonic
picture.php

CBD Juanita
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Here you can see Zak Haze at 41 daze with the lights off. As you can see she is burning some tops on the lights. She has been a rather strange hybrid, she looks and stretches like a sativa, but then starts flowering and ripens up very quick! Similarly the high is body stone without couch lock. So far I'm smelling dank and lemon with a pinch of pine. I will definitely take her at day 56.
picture.php

Here are the Zak Haze clones in the vertical screens. I pruned some lower branches, trained the branches to the screen, then tucked the fan leaves behind the screen. They should be flipped to 12/12 in a day or two. I remember how much the other stretched.
picture.php

Here they are back around the bulb. They got watered with CalMag. Tieing the branches down will cause the secondary branching to stretch a bit and, hopefully, fill in the screen better.
picture.php

On the other side of the work bench are the auto flower seeds I made. They are doing well, the small one started out in the PC a week or so earlier. She is showing sex already. I will probably dig a hole in one of the male's pots and put the whole thing in more soil. These seeds are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. I just hope it's not a toothpaste filled one. I found a little seedling in one of the Zak Haze pots, it was from some of the auto flower seeds I made, so they are definitely viable.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Here is a shot of the whole cabinet. I like how you can really tell the spectrum difference between the veg (65000K) and flower (3000K). The lights are very bright, but temperatures are great, running 70° F to 80° F.
picture.php

The canopy is filling in quite nicely. Probably another week max. So far, the Cannatonic on the left looks a lot like Juanita on the right.
picture.php

Mr Jay

Veteran
You cab is very similar to the design I'm kicking around in my head, thanks for posting!

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Got a shot of the CBD screen during lights off to show the color better. Nice and green. The screen is filling in quick and I better flip these soon or I may have a mess on my hands.
picture.php

Here are my bonsai mothers. I crammed a dozen mothers, four Jilly Bean seedlings, and eight rooted clones in here. I also have 18 micro clones rooting on top of the light.
picture.php

That Lowryder had some manly spunk! Out of the ten seeds popped, eight germinated, seven lived, and five were males. There are three left, but I'm pretty sure one of those is a male too. I will flower these two out while I veg and train my Jilly Bean girls I started.
picture.php

And here we have Zak Haze at 55 daze. I will give her one more day of light and then a couple days darkness before the chop. The Zak Haze in the vertical screens were flipped to 12/12 and another round of tucking and tying was done.
picture.php

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Harvest time has come for the Zak Haze. She was flowered for 56 days, then had 48 hours of darkness. There is a lot more than I expected, looks like I'll get close to 50 grams dry.
picture.php

Here is a rough trim, I will let her dry a day or two then trim the rest before it is dry. She is pretty leafy and looks like it will take some time to trim. I will run the trim through the bubble bags fresh.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts