What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Ouch... PC grow boxes, now I understand.

Do you have a thread? (to avoid derailing this one and give you some ideas)

jonhova

Could 2 of these fit on cleat based sockets? I want to clean up my wiring. Any suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• D7B42FCE-390A-4A35-8F5B-E292927678B6.jpg
    D7B42FCE-390A-4A35-8F5B-E292927678B6.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 17

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
It depends, just make sure the ones you choose fit the screw posts of your specific cleat socket.

It definitely cleans up the wiring and add safety, but only if properly (securely) crimped.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
It will depend on how the terminal fits into the cleat, if no metal is exposed there's no need for tape.

In fact, if the cleat is cleverly designed, so that no wire or contacts are exposed, the simplest and safest is just use bare wire.

For example for the cleats just posted by Gantz, using wire terminals brings little vs using bare wire, as no contact is exposed, specially if as seen in the picture you back it with timber.

Add WAGOs to the equation in order to safely complete the rest of wiring and you're done.

Last edited:

jonhova

Mine are screws which are exposed. I got them from 1000 bulbs . Com through amazon.

Gantz that is brilliant! I forgot that badass setup you have. I will scoop some wago connectors for sure.

Can i get everything from my local hardware store? Is it 2x 4 wire -1 wire hubs, and 1x 2 - 2 hub for ground and hot to the power cord?

It did not take long. I did break one bulb but I managed to put it together in way that works.
I would love to hear some safety experts oppinion on this.
Is it safe to solder 230V connections?
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75825&pictureid=1818402&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75825&pictureid=1818401&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=75825&pictureid=1818400&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

The easiest way to do it is to take a screwdriver and you wedge it in between the plastic bulb and the base of the light about an eighth of an inch and twist and usually it comes right off. Sometimes they don't always come off on the first go so you got to go down about another quarter inch half inch and wedge it in again till it comes off. It's much easier if you plug the bulb in for about 10 minutes and let it heat up and then pop it off. But yeah these screw in LEDs work really good and you can get a good price on them at Walmart and they have different varieties but the ones I like or the 14 Watt 1500 lumens in the brand is Sylvania and the reason I like them is because they are an inch shorter than my other bulbs and you can get them in 5000 Kelvin or 2700 Kelvin and they are cheaper.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
@BigHitGuy: Sylvania is a well-known brand in Europe for professional lightning, used as much if not more than Philips. Good find! an inch is priceless on microgrows :) how much did they cost?

@jonhova:

WAGOs may be sourced from Amazon if your hardware store doesn't carry them. 5-wire ones part number is 222-415, box comes with 40 units.

No need to wire ground, just hot (phase) and neutral. Wiring scheme using 222-415 WAGOs for 7 bulbs:

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
That is, more or less, how i did it.
Brown on one side, blue on the other. Then I joined all the blues on one side and all the browns on the other

Thanks for the schematics mate

@BigHitGuy: Sylvania is a well-known brand in Europe for professional lightning, used as much if not more than Philips. Good find! an inch is priceless on microgrows :) how much did they cost?

@jonhova:

WAGOs may be sourced from Amazon if your hardware store doesn't carry them. 5-wire ones part number is 222-415, box comes with 40 units.

No need to wire ground, just hot (phase) and neutral. Wiring scheme using 222-415 WAGOs for 7 bulbs:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=442746]View Image[/url]

You can get a 4 pack for $20.

seymourbud

@jonhova, in the 4th picture, are they intake holes in the floor for fresh air?
In the process of building my closet right now, and was trying to decide if placing my
intakes in the floor or on the back (much thinner particle board) would work best.

BTW - I am using soffet vent intakes covers that are 2" round and have angled deflectors so you can spin in any direction you need. Hoping they don't restrict too much air. I was going to place 5 or 6 of them along the base of the inner cabinet at the floor level of the back wall.

jonhova

@sexy

Im going to staple a long cut piece of inner tube along the back wall which does not meet the ground. Inner tube seems to block light thr best of any material ive used so far.

psyphish

Veteran
never had any success with 12V fans and DIY filters. The fans aren't powerful enough to keep temperatures in check when they have to push or blow through something.

jonhova

Noctua fans have a higher static pressure than most pc fans. They can push air through resistance unlike regular fans. This one was only $15

Drop That Sound

Ok guys, been browsing for the best deal on some bulbs/sockets over a month...

I want to construct a fixture to test along side one of my 1000's (possibly both, if it works well!) in my flower room. Room is about 6 x 7.25' wide, with two designated 4.5 x 3.5' grow areas, and a 6' foot ceiling.

Hoping the more even spread, of 6-800 actual watts worth of bulbs, would be nicely distibuted over the well managed scrog nets. Better than the two hot spot 1ks, that I usually end up having to jack up to the ceiling, and even dialed down to 750 if the canopy gets to high.

So I eventually want the 2 fixtures, each over its 16 sq ft area. Lets say 40-50 watts per sq ft? That's 650-800. If it ends up being over kill... NP I'll have so much extra room I could just raise it, spread out, or even switch off rows of bulbs.

14w bulbs sound nice, though at 3-5+ a piece, it gets kinda pricey quick. But then again with the cheaper 8-9 watt bulbs you need more socket bases, hardware, wiring,etc. Suppose those can get expensive as well.

Buying the most expensive bulbs (like cree's) in bulk seems like its maybe a good way to go, because each one has a decent warranty, and you can ship whole boxes of burnt out ones back for replacement. They don't really expect to receive single broken bulbs, but when your buying a lot it makes sense, its cheaper for you to ship more back to them at once.

But really, how can I pass up these 10 packs of bases for $4.30 from Hong kong:

https://www.ebay.com/i/191996628782?chn=ps

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/418SPBMbBlL.jpg

And these 9 watt Sunbeams at the dollar store (12 packs for $12 shipped to store free):

261900_v3.jpg

So. Lets say I bought 100 cheap ebay socket bases, that would take a month to ship, for $43.00

And 96 Sunbeam 9 watt 2700k bulbs for $96 + tax

A couple extra odds and ends that I don't already have for $20.

That's an 864 watt LED grow light for around $160! Any objections?