What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Wow Man0os, impressive!:tiphat:

Looks like you gonna pass 1 gpw by a good margin!

Can you comment on ventilation, strain, experience, etc?

man0os

I hope your right about 1 g/w.
I first round of my new notill (hopefully} setup.

2 x 80 liters containers with no drainage.

Room is approx. 90cm x 90cm.

Passive ventilation and a fan. I need to fix this, had some PM on the lower branches on one plant.

Strain: I'm working towards selfing a diesel and a dina-chem to get a lot of fuely seeds (which I love).
But it's a work in progress, so I popped 10 hermie seeds from an earlier grow. Only one of them showed nanners.

6 new hermieseeds are out of the soil and ready for round 2.

man0os

Coincidence or not, the plant with the nanners is the most sativa-leaning in the bunch.
It's the one in the back left with the spear-tops.

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_092707.jpg
    IMG_20181116_092707.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 13

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Get ventilation, specially air exchanged sorted out... SILs, as they radiate much much less heat, tend to influence a higher humidity...

Hastings

Well my four plants are now under 560 watts of SILs since yesterday (I screwed in the other 10 bulbs in each of my two fixtures that were "off"). I said I would flip January 1st, but there is absolutely no way that will happen. They almost fill up the 5'X5' tent already! All I did was top them once, then later LST'd the 4 main branches coming off of each. I fed them once so far just a few days ago, bone meal and some worm poop worked into the top few inches of the soil before watering.

I fear I might have over did it with my worm poop. It's powerful stuff. The issue is that yesterday I noticed new growth on the most vigorous growing tops has yellowish tips. I'll water more next time to flush down the free nutrients a bit, and hold off on any more feedings until (or if) things stabilize. It could also be light burn since on the highest tops, they seam kinda bleached. I did raise the lights last night just in case, plus the nodes on these phenos are so tight I wouldn't mind seeing a bit of stretch. Like is 1 inch enough to ask for? LOL

I tried supercropping, but these plants have mostly hollow stems that complain very much even when carefully squished and bent. I broke a few tops doing that, but they recovered within hours. They have a couple of those very thick weird stems on 2 of the plants, the kind that give those weird huge semi-circle buds I've seen before (without a lot of trichomes). I won't be pulling clones from those.

I haven't "cleaned" the plants at all. Not a single leaf under the dense canopy has turned yellow, apart from the original cotyledons and first single leaves. I was going to SCROG this one, but now I'm not so sure if I'll do that, considering the SILS even distribution of intense light almost seem to level the canopy by itself enough. Anyway, these are growing much faster than expected, and I'll probably flip within 2 weeks. They are in 15 gallon "pots" BTW.

I'll post some pics tomorrow or Sunday.

I just put together a 3rd 20-bulb fixture which I'll be throwing in my 5'X5' tent for flowering. That will bring me up to 840w, so I'm getting close to 1000w! It might be overkill... but it should be interesting.

Right now my 4 white widow crosses have officially been in veg mode since November 1st, and I plan on flipping New Years Day (unless they grow a lot faster than planned). I decided to see how much I can get from only 4 plants in the 5X5 because... well since weed is legal here now I wanted to see how it feels to stay within legal limits.

I'll post some pics once they look awesome (I hope). It's also my first organic grow, but I'm loving it so far. Great for the lazy person!
So, you have 60 SIL bulbs in your array?

Hastings

So, you have 60 SIL bulbs in your array?

Yup, basically 3 fixtures with 20 sockets/bulbs in each. All 100 watt "equivalent". They actually have a few more sockets just in case I feel I ever need them. Here's the 4 White Widow girls in their 5'X5' tent:

I think I'm getting nitrogen burn ever since gave them worm poop several days ago, most noticeably on the branches and plants that have that weird "polyploid" mutation. New leafs have yellow tips that are turning necrotic as the leaf matures. I'd love to hear other people's opinions on this issue:

I'm growing in that Promix organic mix, with about 25% extra perlite added, bone meal, blood meal, worm castings, and dolomitic lime. Those recycle bins (it was a sale! LOL) are 15 gallons each.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
i have just read every word of this thread and studied every photo and chart/graph here and i'm very impressed with the results i have seen.

there is a lot of talent and knowledge in this thread and some beautiful flowers being grown using these sils so i'm going to build a few arrays too.

thanks to blynx for starting this thread and to all the other contributors.

i have decided to use the great value walmart brand 14 watt bulbs and did the amperage math on them and came up with only .167 amps per bulb. is this correct?

and does anyone know what the beam spread angle of these bulbs is? that is with the lens off.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Hastings: difficult to say... doesn't look like nute burn to me... PH? mites? I'm not the best to provide advice on that though :)

delta9nxs: For a 14Watt bulb:

120AC
P = V x I; 14W=120V*I; I = .116A

240AC
P = V x I; 14W=240V*I; I = .058A

So on a theoretical 60x 14W SILs "line" total draw on 120V will be 60 x .116A = 6,96A, or 7A.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Hastings: difficult to say... doesn't look like nute burn to me... PH? mites? I'm not the best to provide advice on that though :)

delta9nxs: For a 14Watt bulb:

120AC
P = V x I; 14W=120V*I; I = .116A

240AC
P = V x I; 14W=240V*I; I = .058A

So on a theoretical 60x 14W SILs "line" total draw on 120V will be 60 x .116A = 6,96A, or 7A.

thank you, i had actually figured .117 rounding up but typed it wrong.

it's an incredibly low figure!

i going to build a 37 light fixture to cover a 4x4' screen which would give me 32.37 watts per sq ft.

my question about the beam spread is about finding the distance from the plant where the beams slightly overlap.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
i going to build a 37 light fixture to cover a 4x4' screen which would give me 32.37 watts per sq ft.

my question about the beam spread is about finding the distance from the plant where the beams slightly overlap.

picture.php

32w per sqft is as bright as I ever went and routinely burned plants when I was closer to the canopy than about 5-6 inches. Ive since flowered at 19w per sqft and then went a bit brighter to 25w per sqft. I think 25w is really about as bright as you need to be.

picture.php

My bulbs are in vanity strips and on roughly 6 inch centers. This keeps the light pretty evenly overlapping until the plants get within about 2 inches of the bulbs, at which point they start to twist their leaves from normal praying position to down / sideways to pick up the edges of the beams.

picture.php

If I was in a tent, I would run banks of vanity strips or beams of wood, each on its own yo-yo and then run them at varying heights to accommodate different strains. Either in a low to high slanted layout or a staggered /\/\/\ layout for sativas and indicas next to each other for a bit of extra side light intensity (though its probably not needed as my plants have nice buds up to about 2.5 feet from the bulb). To give you an idea, I've found that since taking that picture, the ideal canopy height is right at "the empire doesn't care about your stick figure family".

Hope that helps :tiphat:

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
On a somewhat related note, heres two phenos of Fruity Pebbles OG x Pineapple x Sour Sunset at chop under 25w per sqft of LED:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
delta9nxs:

I'd rather be safe than sorry :) Yes they consume very, very little. This is an ultra efficient method.

Terpene:
:bigeye: wow... looks like foxtails on steroids! Looks like glittery candy :tiphat:

Absolute beauty as usual! Your chicks should be on a calendar!

Tomorrow is outdoor closing time, gonna start the indoor tomorrow, loving going back to the SILs, definittely following your advice: less is more.

This is very true and noticeable on potential reached by plants, even very environment demanding ones with regards to space and light, like sativas.

I like to think that if there were a sustainable, massively replicable way of growing cannabis in a spaceship, those would be leds :biggrin: and possibly by repurposing SILs, possibly with an hybrid solar system generating DC, then going full dc or maybe using mosfets to throw in some AC to lower on costs/weight of conductors... hahah... StonerCruiseShip!!

Ouf, Malawi hits hard :biggrin:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
View Image

32w per sqft is as bright as I ever went and routinely burned plants when I was closer to the canopy than about 5-6 inches. Ive since flowered at 19w per sqft and then went a bit brighter to 25w per sqft. I think 25w is really about as bright as you need to be.

View Image

My bulbs are in vanity strips and on roughly 6 inch centers. This keeps the light pretty evenly overlapping until the plants get within about 2 inches of the bulbs, at which point they start to twist their leaves from normal praying position to down / sideways to pick up the edges of the beams.

View Image

If I was in a tent, I would run banks of vanity strips or beams of wood, each on its own yo-yo and then run them at varying heights to accommodate different strains. Either in a low to high slanted layout or a staggered /\/\/\ layout for sativas and indicas next to each other for a bit of extra side light intensity (though its probably not needed as my plants have nice buds up to about 2.5 feet from the bulb). To give you an idea, I've found that since taking that picture, the ideal canopy height is right at "the empire doesn't care about your stick figure family".

Hope that helps :tiphat:

thank you! i'm going to try this array over a tightly controlled scrog of a single plant so the height will be relatively uniform.

sanducu

Hey guys! Great thread. Thank you blynx for the inspiration! :tiphat:

I have a budget micro grow: Super Skunk - Sensi Seeds, 11 days into flowering, previously had 21 days 18/6 and 8 days 14/10. I've done some topping and LST. Stretched a lot after switching to 12/12. Cab is H 57x50x30cm and I run 6x12w E27 Leds. Had some PH issues at the beginning that were fixed with some vermiculite tea. No carbon filter as I don't really need it, but anyway, the smell is almost inexistent at this time.

First picture is last day of 14/10. In these pictures it looks like it has too much distance from the lights but during veg I used to keep it 5 cm from bulbs and gradually lowered the pot, now with all the stretching some tips are 3 cm from bulb. Hope it will remain like this.

All the best and happy growing! :tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_20181120_092050.jpg
    IMG_20181120_092050.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20181130_074526.jpg
    IMG_20181130_074526.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20181130_074612.jpg
    IMG_20181130_074612.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 17