What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

psyphish

Veteran
Latest SIL crop: Panama.

Smells to fizzy lemon... :yummy:

Love the flower structure, reminds me of an inverted grapefruit bunch of foxtails...

Tops
View Image View Image

100% Crop
View Image

Well overripe too... not a single amber trich.

Compared to the neighbor Malawi, grown under 275W of HPS, SILs buds are bigger but softer, and seem to shrink more after drying. Stronger scent too.

Wow that's a completely different looking pheno than the two Panamas I grew. They didn't foxtail at all, but they did have a strong citrus smell.

Smells to fizzy lemon... :yummy:

Love the flower structure, reminds me of an inverted grapefruit bunch of foxtails...

Tops
View Image View Image

100% Crop
View Image

Compared to the neighbor Malawi, grown under 275W of HPS, SILs buds are bigger but softer, and seem to shrink more after drying. Stronger scent too.
Pretty sure the trichs turn amber after they turn milky and that's when its ripe. Says urban remo

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran

Smells/Tastes to fizzy lemon with incense hint... :yummy:

Not trying to tell you your business Repuk, but trichs run clear -> milky -> amber as they ripen.

With most landrace sativas or hybrid sativa combinations, they tend to amber unevenly (usually from the bottom up) which can throw off growers who are used to the more traditional whole-plant ripening you get with well worked lines.

I usually tell people to wait till every white hair dies - or at least the point at which you’re down to counting one or two here and there on the plant. On a Panamanian like the one shown in your first pic, I’d say you have another 2 weeks before it’s finished.
:huggg:

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Terpene said:
Not trying to tell you your business Repuk, but ...

Please do it anytime you feel inclined! I'm here to learn :biggrin:

I'm afraid I didn't explain myself well :), I meant that even with the plant having stopped throwing any new hairs, swelled, and feeling starting to dry and "brown", I didn't find any amber trich, she didn't pass the cloudy stage, she didn't "start decomposing" as fast as I'm used to.

That's also the less ripe cola... the others didn't look that nice due to heat, and the moving air fan breaking leading to bud rot. But hard to spot amber trichs on them either.

Terpene said:
With most landrace sativas or hybrid sativa combinations, they tend to amber unevenly (usually from the bottom up) which can throw off growers who are used to the more traditional whole-plant ripening you get with well worked lines.

Yesss!! noticed that with the Lebanese.

Sadly it had to be chopped... pests, worst heat of all summer happening now and the dreaded fan decides to die... (2nd grow!)...

The fact of no amber trichs, and what you are saying just made me realize she may have aged prematurely due to the bad conditions/bud rot, hence the cloudy only trichs and the "dying" appearance I took as natural finishing.

Hastings

Hastings: SILs provide the best GPW even if calculated on the reall watts drawn (killawatt etc), not so optimal grows are usually >1GPW, while on smooth ones I got 1.6GPW.

I'm sure you'll destroy your record :biggrin:

Tip: watch out for canopy distance, it can be the difference between an OK grow, and a impressive one.

My grow before this one was so long ago, the holy grail of what to aim for was 1 GPW with HPS. No one I personally knew back then actually achieved that! So I was pretty thrilled and surprised I achieved 1.2 GPW after not growing for so many years, along with all the problems these poor girls went through.

I'm doing plain soil next time, big pots, 4 plants, vegged long enough and LST'd to fill that 5'X5' tent. I just started the seeds an hour ago: Fem'd Jacky White X White Widow. Yeah I know, who would want to back cross a Jacky White with a White Widow again? Haha! They were on sale, and the breeder calls them "Jacky Whiteout".

About canopy distance. I found with just a few lights, my early vegging plants did just great . But once I had 600 watts worth of those 15W bad-boys up there (40 bulbs), I had to keep them a really good distance away because I had bleaching/burning issues. Great penetration though. I wanted to start with more a micro grow, but I'm the type who always overdoes things. Started with 4 bulbs, that became 10, that became 20... then I made myself another identical fixture. Each fixture still has some empty sockets in case I want to add more bulbs to each (another 150 watts per fixture).

Samuel Caldwell

420giveaway
6 1/2 weeks

pic 1 - full tent
pic 2 - BooBerryKush
pic 3 - 'white cookies' bagseed
pic 4 - 'purple haze' 2 bagseed
pic 5 - 'purple haze' 3 bagseed

picture.php

View image in gallery

Smells/Tastes to fizzy lemon with incense hint... :yummy:

Tops
View Image View Image

100% Crop
View Image

Well overripe too... but not a single amber trich.

How many inches do u have ur lights set above the canopy cuz I know ur using the 7 way bulb splitter as am I. I guess it varies from strain to strain. I'll measure mine tomorrow but I'm guessing all my lights r set 16-24 inches from the canopy. i have 100-105 watts of sils on each of my 7 ways. I have 4 plants, 3 on week 6 and 1 on week 7. All on 5-8 gallon totes. 1 plant gets 2 7 way splitters and the rest just get one a piece. Probly could've squeezed in another plant or 2 but with this set up each plant should yield close to a quarter pound or more. Just ordered 4 more 7 way splitters so I can start my SOG
. Also just got smart pots(7 gal...probly bigger then what I needed so I'll just grow these next girls I got a little bigger)and I'm trying coco coir for the 1st time. Right now in the veg closet I've got 1 cotton candy OG, 1 CD purp, 1 king kong and 1 Durban poison on like week 3 of veg and all transplanted into the coco and smart pots and will be ready for the flower room in 3 weeks. Also maybe it would be easier to tell me the lux at ur canopy. I think the highest lux reading I had was like 62,000 and that was on my sour diesal which has the 2 7 way splitters above it and I think the lux on my OG is around 55-60,000 but that's right in the middle where most of the light is concentrated. Vegging my juveniles anywhere from 15-30,000 lux and r doing good. Not really praying but no signs of light bleaching. I also noticed that really none of my plants r praying like they were when I 1st put them in the tent and they were done stretching so i haven't had to adjust the lights. If anything I've moved them up i few inches. They dont look wilted either from light stress cuz I've came across that a few times. I have them in an 8'x6'6"x4' tent and my last grow I grew an indica dominant plant in a 2x3' cab with about 160 watts with the lights about 12 inches from the canopy(which was as high as i could mount it) and my lux reading at the canopy was just over 100k lux and the plant did fine.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure if this has been discussed here before, so excuse me if I double anything:
I read that the trichomes ambering is due to the UV radiation in the sunlight OR nay HID lamp.
I second the finding that my plants under SILs take forever to show amber trichs, if they do so at all (as there no/not sufficient UV in SIL light?)
I'm really having a hard time judging the correct timing for harvest.
Then again if everything is milky and no amber, that should be perfect, right ?
Sometimes I see amber trichs but mostly in places where the buds have been mistreated by banging against the tent wall/ in the path of my hands when de-leafing etc...
What's everyone else's take on this phenomenon?

Cheers,
CC

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure if this has been discussed here before, so excuse me if I double anything:
I read that the trichomes ambering is due to the UV radiation in the sunlight OR nay HID lamp.
I second the finding that my plants under SILs take forever to show amber trichs, if they do so at all (as there no/not sufficient UV in SIL light?)
Sometimes I see amber trichs but mostly in places where the buds have been mistreated by banging against the tent wall/ in the path of my hands when de-leafing etc...

Cheers,
CC

I've never looked at trichs to determine when to chop a plant.

I look at the overall growth/condition of the plant combined with knowledge of previous runs to decide when to chop.

If I'm running a strain for the first time, I still look at overall growth/condition and will usually run the plant on the longer side so I can see what it looks like from early to late. You could take samples along the way but I haven't done that myself.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
@BigHitGuy420: I no longer use the multipliers, rigged a grid of sorts to sub it.

Canopy distance has a lot to do how your SILs are, not only rated power. Mine are 15W the most powerful, but the canopy distance deciding factor is the individual LED chip count on the SILs; mine are all high-count, I keep them about 8" from the canopy with no bleaching.

@BigHitGuy420: I no longer use the multipliers, rigged a grid of sorts to sub it.

Canopy distance has a lot to do how your SILs are, not only rated power. Mine are 15W the most powerful, but the canopy distance deciding factor is the individual LED chip count on the SILs; mine are all high-count, I keep them about 8" from the canopy with no bleaching.

Ok thanks. What kind of lux reading u getting?

Samuel Caldwell

420giveaway

Cheers,
CC

I'm like blynx and just go by the overall look of the plant and I prefer letting them go until they're done. My current tent is a few days short of 8 weeks. I'll keep an eye on them with the scope and see how they develop.

psyphish

Veteran
I'm like blynx and just go by the overall look of the plant and I prefer letting them go until they're done. My current tent is a few days short of 8 weeks. I'll keep an eye on them with the scope and see how they develop.

Completely agree on the overall plant appearance instead of trichomes. I see people online harvesting WAAAAAY too early because they look at some random bud and spot amber trichomes, even if the plant has 20% white stigmas left and lots of swelling to do.

Then they quote the silly myth about "not wanting couch lock", dude, why are you growing a couchlocky strain if you don't want couchlock? Harvesting too early is just going to leave you with crap weed and less yield.

OG kush week 7.

Attachments

• 20181009_170343.jpg
    20181009_170343.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20181009-184850_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181009-184850_Gallery.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20181009_170357.jpg
    20181009_170357.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20181009_170428.jpg
    20181009_170428.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20181009-184834_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181009-184834_Gallery.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 12
Sour diesel(bag seed)week 6.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181011-010841_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010841_Gallery.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20181011-010903_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010903_Gallery.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20181011-010821_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010821_Gallery.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20181011-010910_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010910_Gallery.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20181011-010848_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010848_Gallery.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 10
Purple sour diesal(bag seed)week 6 and pineapple kush week 6.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181011-010828_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010828_Gallery.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20181011-010919_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010919_Gallery.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20181009-173211_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181009-173211_Gallery.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20181009-173227_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181009-173227_Gallery.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20181009-173248_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181009-173248_Gallery.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Here's my 4 juveniles on week 4 of veg from seed. All are in coco coir and in 7 gallon smart pots. Got roughly 100w(a mix of 9w and 16w) of sils above them variably between 20 to 36w per plant and I've got them all set about 12-16" above the canopy. Yesterday they were all praying towards the light and this morning too but then later on I came back in to check on the before they went to bed and they didn't seem so perky but the leaves coming off the new shoots at the top were all pointing straight up. Are my plants getting too much light. I also water 2x a day cuz that's what it calls for when growing in coco.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181011-010745_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010745_Gallery.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20181011-010738_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010738_Gallery.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20181011-010730_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010730_Gallery.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20181011-010521_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181011-010521_Gallery.jpg