What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ok.. ok.. lets SCROG!

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
So i have been suggested to try SCROG for A WHILE by many different members I respect... ok well it is finally time,

First I will give a little background info of my situation.. My current residence is a rental, we were informed this is our last Lease available, the landlord wants to put the house on the market this spring so I have to stop growing sometime during the winter and then rough it out for 4+ months of no growing...

Right now I have a 150w HPS vert cab (link in my sig to check out the grow if interested) but this thread is going to be all about my 110w PL-L veg cab...

when my current flower cycle finishes in vert.. and I refill the room... this will be sometime in late october/early november... I will no longer need any Veg space and I can turn both my cabs into flower cabs!

Ok so this is where I need everyone's advice and suggestions...

The cab is roughly 3 ft wide by 1.5 ft deep and somewhere around 3 ft of height but the way the fixture is hung doesn't allow a full 3 ft of headroom...

To me that sounds like a small amount of light for the size of the cab... The light fixture is only two feet wide, I am thinking of making the SCROG only 2 ft wide and concentrating the light with reflectix or something..

Ok well we got some time before we have to work on the cab because for the next 2 months it is still going to be veg...

BUT we have to start training these plants for SCROG right away AND what kind of thread would this be without any pics in the first post?

These are candidates for the scrog so far... all KROM from House of Love... idk if all will be used or not.. this is all subject to change...

picture.php

View image in gallery

How do they look? some are much younger... I tried a couple different methods.. this is only day 1 of training for the younger ones.. the oldest in the square pot has already been trained for a while now...

I like this strain for scrog because the thin stems allow for easy training and no broken branches. something that seems to happen to me often...

I am going to update this post with what I have in veg and see if anyone has any better suggestions for strain selection for the SCROG.

Ok this is the list of strains I currently have clones or mothers of in Veg...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BKGK Bx1

OG x CD (bagseed)

CB x DB Bx1

KROM

Mystery Pheno

ECSD x SSSDH testers (2 different phenos)

Chemmy Jones
[/FONT]

If anyone wants pics of certain strains to see how there structure is just ask and I will try to find some pics!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd throw the plant in the square pot into the scrog, veg it out some more, throw the screen in, start training/vegging some more, then flower her out.

D

Deftoner

I'd throw the plant in the square pot into the scrog, veg it out some more, throw the screen in, start training/vegging some more, then flower her out.
If I were you id listen to blynx aka king of micro scrog!!!

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
sounds like a plan... only problem is i can't flower her out or make the screen until I have my plants ready to go into next flower cycle which is roughly two months away...

would two more months of veg be way too much or if I keep training will I be ok?

i guess if i veg the full two months the one single plant could fill the whole screen...

I assume this is what you are saying?

BTW thanks for stopping in!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds like a plan... only problem is i can't flower her out or make the screen until I have my plants ready to go into next flower cycle which is roughly two months away...

would two more months of veg be way too much or if I keep training will I be ok?

i guess if i veg the full two months the one single plant could fill the whole screen...

I assume this is what you are saying?

BTW thanks for stopping in!

Sorry I didn't read your post close enough.

I would veg/train the plant until you can start the scrog.

I found it easier/quicker to put a large branchy plant into a scrog and train/veg it out a bit more, than it is to start with a small plant and train it up and into a screen.

A couple things to maybe keep in mind.

First, remember that you will be putting the plant into a cab that will have a screen about 2' x 1.5'. You should let the plant get branchy and grow out. Don't try to constrain the plant's canopy/branches into say an 8" x 8" square area while training.

Second, keep an eye on the growth of the plant while vegging. You have a long veg period and the container the plant is in isn't that large. It's easy for the plant to hit a certain point where it 'stops growing', ie no real new shoots. You will want to transplant to a larger container before that happens so the plant is encouraged to keep putting out new growth the whole time it's vegging. It doesn't necessarily mean you have to transplant to a deeper container (wide and shallow works fine too), just one with new/more soil for the plant to expand it's roots into.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good advice^^ especially

I found it easier/quicker to put a large branchy plant into a scrog and train/veg it out a bit more, than it is to start with a small plant and train it up and into a screen.

totally agree with this. i prefer to veg the plant up with multiple branches and then fit the screen when i start to flower them or not long before. this means your branches will maybe half or 3/4 fill the screen when you fit it.
as soon as the screen is fitted the branches will start throwing side branches and these will help fill the gaps but not get too long.

there is a kind of logic to scrogging that you pick up quite quickly, but its easier to do it than explain it!

VG

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
ok sounds good... question for you more experienced at scrog... do you prefer to top your plants or LST them? Generally it seems like people prefer to LST but I believe I have seen some top with good results...

As far as plant getting rootbound... it JUST was transplanted to that container so I plan to veg it out in that container for the remainder of the time and then 2 weeks or so before the screen is made i will transplant to something bigger...

I think with how long this plant will be vegging for I will have no problem filling the screen and worse case scenario I could fill the gaps in with the other plants, right? the thing is I can let the plant stretch out too far because i have to continue using this area as a general veg area until my final flower cycle is ready to get flipped

the original plant was to use them all to fill the screen but who knows how big they will all get in 2 months...

D

Deftoner

I like to top them. then i grow each main cola to the corners of the screen then use that to determine when to flip them to 12/12.

Oregonism

I hate topping but the longer the veg period the more at ease I become at least if it happens [...i get too stoned and break a branch...yay its topped!] . You could certainly top a few times during your veg period with the length.

LST is more fun in my opinion and less stress to have to deal with.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
I hate topping but the longer the veg period the more at ease I become at least if it happens [...i get too stoned and break a branch...yay its topped!] . You could certainly top a few times during your veg period with the length.

LST is more fun in my opinion and less stress to have to deal with.

Ok... I tend to do the same thing sometimes... some plants/strains don't take well to training unless it is from a very early age... I have broken many branches in my days...

I will use topping as a tool to slow down the veg so I don't overgrow the space, although I don't really think that will even be a problem...

NKOTS

follow the pink rabbit!
Veteran
:lurk:

finally a scrog i was convincing you about for what, 6 months? ;)
pink fingers crossed, happy growing buddy :wave:

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
sadly guys, this actually isn't happening anymore...

decided against it, but i WILL be doing a scrog one day without a doubt! just have to wait for the right time...

thanks for everyone's interest though!

A

AlterEgo860

man u rock a small area... u planning to go any bigger? just wondering.. it seems like u do good work in a small area. id like to see what u could do with a 4x8 or bigger.

when I was growing in a 4foot wide by 2 foot deep by 4 foot high.. I was running a 400w and what I did was.. took the roof off my box. and I placed glass 6inchs down like basicly made a Built in AirCooled HOOD in my box.. and instead of having 20 inches of space to ggrow it bumped it up to 40

n then I just added 2x4s frame around the top and made the box like 3 inches taller.. worked great and didn't add barely anything to the height of the box itself.