What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Johnny's new micro cfl cab

johnnybsmokin

Hey Bonsai

Thanks for stopping by.

Nice work mate, consistent output is a great thing.
Are you using tap water? The chlorine isnt good for your microbes, will kill them off. Good to see you re-using milk containers, I've nearly finished a micro cab designed to fit 5x 3L milk jugs or a dozen 1L. Have you considered switching to the square 1L plastic milk containers? You'll get two side by side in a PC case and being square they make more efficient use of the volume. Also, on your earlier pics I can see roots through the sides of the pot. The light is damaging the roots. Worth grabbing a $2 can of acrylic black spray paint from a bargain shop and giving the sides a blast - you'll still be able to see the roots from the bottom that way.

Rain water all the way, have been since I started growing "organically" over a year ago.

I did consider using the 1 litre containers, but when I fitted them in with a very tight fit I realized that I blocked of most of the ventilation/air flow inside the cab. So I looked and thought the round 1's would allow the air flow better.

The pics you see the roots in is probably the only container that does not have a continous label all the way around the "pot", so i haven't really worried about it and I haven't found any problems with the container before. I have black paint at home so maybe when it is done and between grows as it has a plant in it at the moment.

Have you picks of your "cab" ???, always like to see how others are growing. I started with a Pc grow that Iv'e yoused for the last year but I have just built a cab to fit into the hidey hole where the Pc used to sit. Haven't really gained any size in the width and length but have gained and extra 150mm/6 inchs in height, and it is easier to access the "girls" as well.

Before and now

and when it is opened

These current plants are out of the Pc grow so Iv'e had to raise them up to hit the lights, the next 1's are due to go in next week if there current growth continues as it is. Am looking forward to see if the numbers increase with the extra height.

Cheers Johnny:gday:

Last edited:

bonsai

Have you picks of your "cab" ???, always like to see how others are growing. I started with a Pc grow that Iv'e yoused for the last year but I have just built a cab to fit into the hidey hole where the Pc used to sit.

Sorry I mistyped, I only meant to reference the width of the PC case; I saw the new cab it's excellent, especially the slide out base. I need to add proper roller rails to my next one.(pic from the back, front slides out as joined set of 3 drawers), 3x 22W diy veg leds up top with a 70W HPS barebulb vertical in the middle. 35cm of usable vertical space and diy microcontroller setup running everything. Taking my time, will post here in the micro forum when there's something worth seeing.
Looks like you have roughly the same height and about the same width as one side of mine, so I'm watching yours with interest.

johnnybsmokin

Sorry I mistyped, I only meant to reference the width of the PC case; I saw the new cab it's excellent, especially the slide out base. I need to add proper roller rails to my next one.(pic from the back, front slides out as joined set of 3 drawers), 3x 22W diy veg leds up top with a 70W HPS barebulb vertical in the middle. 35cm of usable vertical space and diy microcontroller setup running everything. Taking my time, will post here in the micro forum when there's something worth seeing.
Looks like you have roughly the same height and about the same width as one side of mine, so I'm watching yours with interest.

Hey Bonsai

Looking forward to seeing you cab up and running. It all sound interesting, a Q for you, where did you get the 70W HPS from???, as I have not seen them that small anywhere up in SE Qld. Did you buy it locally or from the states???
How are you finding the LED's, Iv'e got 1 in the flowering cab as extra lighting to fill in a dead spot and have another here ready to go when I figure out it's best home.

Will be keeping an eye out for your post's, looking forward to seeing how you little hps goes.

bonsai

The HPS bulb came from the UK via ebay, the ballast came from ebay.au. Two new bulbs and the ballast cost just under $40 shipped. I was originally planning on using a 130W CFL in the centre, which I've purchased, but then saw the 70W HPS which does slightly more lumens for half the power consumption. I'll have a look through my ebay history and see if the ballast seller has any currently, will PM you if there's anything going at a good price.
I've got 24 cree XP-E 3W LEDs on their way from cutter electronics, haven't used them yet. The plan is to use those in veg, have the plants stretch up to them then add the HPS down the guts for flower for soil-to-tip budsicles.
Did you DIY your LED? Where did you get a heatsink from? Jaycar etc seem $$$
p.s. i was born and raised on the gold coast. been a few years since I visited though! Hope Sufferers Parasite is still as plastic and tragic as it's always been ;)

johnnybsmokin

The HPS bulb came from the UK via ebay, the ballast came from ebay.au. Two new bulbs and the ballast cost just under $40 shipped. I was originally planning on using a 130W CFL in the centre, which I've purchased, but then saw the 70W HPS which does slightly more lumens for half the power consumption. I'll have a look through my ebay history and see if the ballast seller has any currently, will PM you if there's anything going at a good price.
I've got 24 cree XP-E 3W LEDs on their way from cutter electronics, haven't used them yet. The plan is to use those in veg, have the plants stretch up to them then add the HPS down the guts for flower for soil-to-tip budsicles.
Did you DIY your LED? Where did you get a heatsink from? Jaycar etc seem $$$
p.s. i was born and raised on the gold coast. been a few years since I visited though! Hope Sufferers Parasite is still as plastic and tragic as it's always been ;)

I'm using the MR16 type replacement LED modules, which are fully sealed with the casing being the "heatsink" (very cool to touch). Iv'e looked at the Cree types as well and will probably get some in the future to try. Would love to see the finished product of you LED's, so make sure you put up some pics hey.

And yes Surfers is still as plastic and tragic as ever. The only time I go there is work related these days. i just wish they would stop catering for all tha Asian's and concentrate on us locals and fellow Aussie's.

Wav3F0rm

Johnny cheers man, neat set up and i love your cloning style.

Aye man, you ever think of doing a vertical circular scrog? its perfect for tiny spaces. if you look up circular scrog in google or wherever, this link comes up to weeguru with pictures of people with tiny spaces but great yields, i'm hoping to adventure into something like that soon.

G

GreenGooma

Nice little setup johnny; pulling all you can smoke out of that little space is a good trick. I'm downsizing to a micro setup myself, those tasty little buds smoke just as well as the big fatties. Good luck! :tiphat:

johnnybsmokin

Johnny cheers man, neat set up and i love your cloning style.

Aye man, you ever think of doing a vertical circular scrog? its perfect for tiny spaces. if you look up circular scrog in google or wherever, this link comes up to weeguru with pictures of people with tiny spaces but great yields, i'm hoping to adventure into something like that soon.

Hey Wav3F0rm, thanks for the kind words.

I dont think I could do a vertical circular scrog with out doing some major alterations to my cab. The lights are in a sealed cool chamber to help aleviate the heat.

I am happy with my current set up and it is suppling me with what I need.

johnnybsmokin

Nice little setup johnny; pulling all you can smoke out of that little space is a good trick. I'm downsizing to a micro setup myself, those tasty little buds smoke just as well as the big fatties. Good luck! :tiphat:

Thanks for stopping by GreenGooma, yes my cab supplies my needs and the buds I get are nice compact, hard nugs which are better than any boughts ones I've gotten in the last couple of years prior to growing my own.

I've just noticed that you are back to a "guest" statis, hope all is well M8