What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

100w of Holiday Happiness.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Not a clue how long this will go, it's from a batch of seeds we ran a few years ago, just seeing if there are any keepers. Stretch is approximately 4x veg height at this point, glad the cabinet is so damn tall. My camera is slowly dying so things may be off from picture to picture.

Cabinet is lit with a relatively unmodified 100w HPS security light. Dimensions are 12"x12"x60" with approximately 54" available of that height for plant. There is an 80mm fan circulating air inside as well as one exhausting through a carbon filter.

10/21 One week into bloom, just starting to see stretch.

picture.php

10/27 Stretch is starting to take off.

picture.php

10/31 Having to move the light on a daily basis now.

picture.php

11/10 Still stretching, starting to slow a bit. Starting to see some trichrome development.

picture.php

picture.php

11/17 Stretch has effectively stopped. Starting to see some real development.

picture.php

11/19 Just an update.

picture.php

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Figured I'd give some details here. Wife's using lucas formula and the soil mix she uses on her daisies. Mix is promix, perlite, zeolite, carbon, dolomite and compost. Really starting to fill out a bit here, here's hoping for a forest of budsicles for christmas.

picture.php

alexeieff

She looks happy!
If it's not a problem, can you take a pic of the whole opened cab and one of the exahust fan with the carbon filter, please?
100w hps for 1 square foot, it's more than perfect.:tiphat:

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
She looks happy!
If it's not a problem, can you take a pic of the whole opened cab and one of the exahust fan with the carbon filter, please?
100w hps for 1 square foot, it's more than perfect.:tiphat:

I can get you the exhaust & filter setup, but the cabinet itself is actually heavily decorated & in a very visible location, so the exterior is off limits.

Carbon bed is fairly thin and needs changing every 2-3 weeks.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

alexeieff

Thank you Geo for the pics, nice and clean job!
Your cab is very similar to the one that I'm projecting for flowering, same lamp, same fan, similar size (mine will be 17"x15"x40"), with a pc for 2 moms and their cuts...check out this 3d for the carbon scrubber, i think if you build something like this you won't have to change so often 'cause it uses real activated carbon and not a carbon mat (sorry for my rusty english, I'm italian):
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=45196

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Eeh, I have granular carbon in other cabinets, it's just loads easier to use the foam stuff in this application and you can buy quite nice stuff very cheaply by the yard from aquaria suppliers. When I run out of the latest roll I may consider doing something else.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
GrowBox420

I can get you the exhaust & filter setup, but the cabinet itself is actually heavily decorated & in a very visible location, so the exterior is off limits.

KifThief

80mm, two. One hangs next to the plant itself to act as a circulator, one exhausts the cabinet through the carbon foam. The fans are old coolermasters, no idea on the cfm rating on them, they're running off of a 12v switch ps I had laying around.

I neither designed nor built most of this cabinet. It's primarily the wife's project. Budget was approximately $0 so there are a lot of really odd choices driven by the need to make use of what was available. It uses two tent pegs & a few neodymium magnets to keep the doors secure for example.

KifThief

Well it looks great! Where did you get the carbon foam and how effective is it? I dont think my fans are powerful enough to push air through the granular carbon i got

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
It's available as rolls of "universal carbon filter" replacements for indoor air filters (generally hepa type filters). It's also sold for aquarium use, this kind often has a thing layer of dust/debris filter layered on top. This can filter dust as well and extends the lifespan a bit. It is nowhere as effective as a good packed bed of granular carbon, but it works well enough if changed regularly.

The filter pictured is actually 3 layers deep, for an end thickness of around 2cm or so.

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Here's a closeup of the latches used. One is just a few niobium magnets and heavier washers to give sufficient mass for the magnets to latch onto. The other is just a 1x2 attached to the inside lip and a hole drilled through while the door was compressed against the weatherstripping. A spare tent peg ensures a light tight fit.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Little update, the bases are just starting to fill in a bit while the tops keep on stretching up up up. Starting to look like she's going to be taking her time with bloom.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php