What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Melkor fridge

Huggie bear

Well its time I started my own thread as I have been procrastinating for awhile now so lets introduce The Melkor Fridge!
She is running a 100 Watt CMH bulb no tube or divider needed at this time.
I have a Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan
Fan Size 120mm
Bearing Type Sleeve
RPM 3000 ±10% RPM
Air Flow 133.60 CFM
Noise Level 45.90 dBA
pumping through my modified HTG supply can filter
I striped apart the filter by drilling the rivets afterwards cutting it down 6 inches and reassembling it. fits perfectly now and looks factory now that it is back together.
My ventilation is set up to create negative pressure in the cab with the bottom ports hidden under the pot racks.
zero light leakage this way.
I do have to reposition the light as you can see it is a bit off center but throws off so much light I haven't worried about it much.

Attachments

• Fridge.jpg
    Fridge.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 13
  • filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 17
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 22

Huggie bear

The ladies or hopefully ladies are
kalichakra
strawberry cough
and as my chimera did not pop I opted for give my freebie
skunkman OH x S1 a go.
As you can see I made rookie mistakes as the Strawberry cough first set of leaves are pretty pissed.
I used distilled water instead of plain old tap water and as my SC are very temperamental they freaked just like last time but I have realized the error of my ways and corrected this just before transplant.

Attachments

• skunkman  ohxs1.jpg
    skunkman ohxs1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 14
  • strawberry cough.jpg
    strawberry cough.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 17
  • kalichakra.jpg
    kalichakra.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 15

Huggie bear

Thanks for stopping in,
Temps in the cab range from 71 to 77 as the weather has cooled off bigtime up here

As this is a cab in a cab with my ballast sitting out the external temp has gone as high as 103 which I still maintained a 81 degree in the chamber so I am pretty excited about that.

Attachments

• Temp.jpg
    Temp.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 12

Huggie bear

My dilema's at this point are
A.) do I veg them out longer and take cuttings as I still have my T5 Ho set up and just in need of plugging in. Then 12-12 the fridge to see what is what
B.) Flip them now figure out what is what and reveg after.

I am leaning toward option B as I am currently out of smokable and really would like something for the holidays to give away to all the good boys and girls that I allow to share in my bountiful harvest with..

I am currently in talks with one of my saltwater fish buddies to make my an Acrylic box to go fogger with.

Last edited:
C

cracker420

nice setup.

i would veg em, get you some clones. then figure out whats what. that way you can start a cycle. just my $.02

Huggie bear

My goal is a perpetual head stash as I am not in this for profit and I could always veg them out long enough that I could have a decent head stash once the go full term.
Thanks for stopping by and putting in you $.02

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Wow very nice work :cool: Which model Can was it before you cut it down? How much did you cut out?

About your dilemma, I ain't had to worry about that stuff much, and I'm lazy so I would just flip and reveg. But wouldn't you actually achieve harvest quicker if you do option A? Reverting a plant's thinking takes time.

Huggie bear

Thanks for dropping in Scrub!
It was the Can 33 and I cut about 6 or 7 inches out..
I kept what I cut out for creating a PC filter someday.
I am thinking along your ideals now that I chat it out loud Just vegging them until I get a nice big cut and flipping them afterwards would still give me a decent amount of smoke for the holidays I think.
I am A closet toker and the people that do know I toke are just party tokers so they don't purchase.
Its fine though I just got lazy and didn't have my act together for a new harvest when I started running low.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
My pleasure man. I never even thought about cutting down a carbon filter! Great idea. I'm just thinking about your situation now. I don't know if you've heard of it, or if it is even useful info to you, but 11/13? By all accounts it's a reduced yield, but it's meant to take a week or so off flower time with hid lights. I only mention it since there could be time issues perhaps and you mentioned you're not Cheech or Chong :D

Thanks for the info!

idontsmoke

Hey Huggie bear
Nice fridge man! Looking forward to your grow and subscribing!

On your dilema, i would, and i am, going with option A.
Take some clones, flower them and see what is what... throw away males, or keep good one for seeds.
Make some bonsai moms out of your best plants and go perpetual :2cents:

Huggie bear

My pleasure man. I never even thought about cutting down a carbon filter! Great idea. I'm just thinking about your situation now. I don't know if you've heard of it, or if it is even useful info to you, but 11/13? By all accounts it's a reduced yield, but it's meant to take a week or so off flower time with hid lights. I only mention it since there could be time issues perhaps and you mentioned you're not Cheech or Chong :D

Thanks for the info!

I wish I could have cheech and chong sessions like back in my glory but until the man cave is constructed I will have to wait!

Hmm option a with an 11/13 cycle sounds like plan! Do you know where to find some reading on this?
Is that like a straight jump to late september early october that is being mimicked? Would potency be lacking cause I can deal with some gram loss but not potency..
Great info!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
wsup hugga br. grovy setup u have here.
CC420 would veg em, get you some clones. then figure out whats what. that way you can start a cycle. just his $.02

I would do the same thing.

Is folgers in your cup. hahahahahaha.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Well, I never follow the seasons when I grow outdoors. We can grow all year here and I do things pretty different to everyone else. So I'm not too sure on that.

I started 11/13 on this run but pulled out a little later and returned to 12/12. So this entire post is only based on reading.

I'm actually not too sure about the potency - it could be an issue! Just do a thread title search for 11/13 and you'll see the same things I read. It's one of those things, like everything else, where each consecutive poster will post a different opinion.

One thing I found particularly interesting was post #8 onwards in this thread. As a fluoro grower I got my wig firmly flipped. Someone else made a thread raising this issue concerning fluoro growers, and I kind of felt like people shrugged it off without paying any attention to the facts being presented quite up front by DeadlyFoez. Anyway, it's trippy stuff.

Now, I said HID earlier, but now that I think of it, I'm not too certain how which lights are affected. If your CMH doesn't give off this far red 730nm, then it would be in the same boat as CFLs I would imagine - meaning that 12/12 would actually be giving us more like 13/11 or 14/10 (!!!). So if a fluoro grower uses 11/13, it brings the real balance back to more like 12/12 to 13/11. That's why I said it speeds it up with HIDs, because with fluoros, were not speeding it up as such - we're just making it what it was supposed to be in the first place! That's why fluoro grows take longer than hps.

Sorry it's so long and possibly off topic but I found all that hella interesting. With cannabis, it's almost all about the daylight hours, so messing with them can give dramatic results.

Huggie bear

Well, I never follow the seasons when I grow outdoors. We can grow all year here and I do things pretty different to everyone else. So I'm not too sure on that.

I started 11/13 on this run but pulled out a little later and returned to 12/12. So this entire post is only based on reading.

I'm actually not too sure about the potency - it could be an issue! Just do a thread title search for 11/13 and you'll see the same things I read. It's one of those things, like everything else, where each consecutive poster will post a different opinion.

One thing I found particularly interesting was post #8 onwards in this thread. As a fluoro grower I got my wig firmly flipped. Someone else made a thread raising this issue concerning fluoro growers, and I kind of felt like people shrugged it off without paying any attention to the facts being presented quite up front by DeadlyFoez. Anyway, it's trippy stuff.

Now, I said HID earlier, but now that I think of it, I'm not too certain how which lights are affected. If your CMH doesn't give off this far red 730nm, then it would be in the same boat as CFLs I would imagine - meaning that 12/12 would actually be giving us more like 13/11 or 14/10 (!!!). So if a fluoro grower uses 11/13, it brings the real balance back to more like 12/12 to 13/11. That's why I said it speeds it up with HIDs, because with fluoros, were not speeding it up as such - we're just making it what it was supposed to be in the first place! That's why fluoro grows take longer than hps.

Sorry it's so long and possibly off topic but I found all that hella interesting. With cannabis, it's almost all about the daylight hours, so messing with them can give dramatic results.
Feel free to head off in any direction you want no need to feel tethered in my thread thats for sure.
Bring on the knowledge and discussions!
I am going to read through the other information as it looks very interesting and something that should be explored for sure.
Here is info on my bulb.

Attachments

• Spectrum.jpg
    Spectrum.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 15

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Lol, the chart ends just before 730! :D To tell you the truth I wouldn't have a clue honestly. The more I've read on it, the deeper I get in a big hole, so I sort of placed it in the mental too-hard basket. Been learning a lot about a lot of things lately and it's hard to squeeze it all in, heh. Apparently with HPS (and maybe cmh?) the blip of far red occurs shortly after you shut the light off.

I'd like to make a second try at i2kangrow's thread and see what people think about these ideas now that we know a lot more about light, and there are some truly knowledgeable lighting folk around these days, with the led grows and whatnots.

I'll let people get back to admiring your fantastic fridge bro. :yes:

Huggie bear

Lol, the chart ends just before 730! :D To tell you the truth I wouldn't have a clue honestly. The more I've read on it, the deeper I get in a big hole, so I sort of placed it in the mental too-hard basket. Been learning a lot about a lot of things lately and it's hard to squeeze it all in, heh. Apparently with HPS (and maybe cmh?) the blip of far red occurs shortly after you shut the light off.

I'd like to make a second try at i2kangrow's thread and see what people think about these ideas now that we know a lot more about light, and there are some truly knowledgeable lighting folk around these days, with the led grows and whatnots.

I'll let people get back to admiring your fantastic fridge bro. :yes:
Yea I noticed that after reading through the other thread you pointed to that my chart cuts off but following the gradual decrease in spectrum I will assume that 730 is present in mediocre doses but still apparent. I am going to do a run of both 11-13 and 12-12 under identical as I can reproduce scenarios with clones and see what happens

Vigil

love the fridge huggie, im with scrub woulda never thought about cutting filter like that but excellent work im looking forward to some pics.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Wow that is great Huggie. No way to cut through the BS quicker than to try for yourself. I'm sorta kicking myself for pulling out of 11/13, this run would have been a great time to try it. I'd be very interested. I'd be extreeeemely interested if it was fluoro lighting, but beggars can't be choosers so I will see how you go.

My first commercial filter turned up today and the thing is huge :D I will definitely be applying your trick when I need it to be micro-ized.

:respect:

Latest posts

Latest posts