What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aeroponic PC case scrog

D.I.trY

Haha, like a drunk pissing on some plastic bottles? Hmm I might have some first hand experience of that noise. Well thanks for that, I'm going to put an 80cm fan blowing at the base of the bulbs along its length and see if i can ditch the glass.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Thanks for stopping by greengro, Most of the details on the aero system are listed throughout the post. The only change I really made was to add a second 200gph pump to bring the res temps up a few degrees. The aero system consists of a custom built acrylic res that holds 2.5 gallons. The res sits under 4 gutters that have spray bars in them, two jets between each basket with 1/16th holes spraying water against the other side of the gutter. when the water hits the plastic wall of the gutter, it breaks up into a combo of drops and mist. There is a twin outlet whisper 700 air pump feeding each end of a coiled up 24" flexible air bar in the res. The roots are basically in air in the gutters, then they are carried by the water current to the drainage holes and eventually rest in the sump. I use GH 3 part nutes and the pumps feed the spray bars 24/7.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Vegging right along, here's another update.

picture.php

And the star performing clone..

picture.php

Kizzattack

Looking good so far. I can't wait to see the results of this.

I don't know if you've already answered this, but on a quick skim through I couldn't see it. What lighting schedule are they on at the moment?

Elephunk

This is friggin awesome dude. Beautiful set up.

Its funny, but I had nearly the exact same idea as you did with the lighting before I actually saw this thread. I have two of these cases myself and just like you I got them at bestbuy for that price. I bolted them both together though to create a double wide case. My original design was with a 150w HPS and 100w CMH. I put in cool tubes and 80mm fans + two more 120cfm fans and all sorts of shit. No dice. That much HID power is just way too much heat for the case.

So I started looking at these fluorescent fixtures called X- Sleek. They have them for T-4 or T-5 bulbs. They come in different wattage and lengths. The awesome thing though is that they're 3/4 of an inch wide. So you can pack these suckers in.

But shoot... I may as well just buy two of those fixtures that you bought yourself there. Those are the perfect length for my case and I can fit two side by side with more room to put in a couple of those X-sleek fixtures to fill the unused space.

edit: Where did you get your t5 lights from? Did those come out of the fixtures you bought? That style would allow me to use these 20" t5s as opposed to the 19" t4s I'm looking at just due to how compact the plug end is. If I could just buy those bulbs you have and end connectors I could save a load of money not having to buy premade fixtures I'm going to tear apart for the parts anyway. And I hate to be a pain, but can you tell me the measurement from the tip of the bulb to the base that the bulb plugs into? What is that overall length and width? I'm worried its going to be REALLY close with these bulbs in my case. I think I have only 21.5" to work with inside length wise.

Definitely going to be watching this. You basically set this case up exactly how I wanted to set mine up. I've just been slacking on the build after so much went wrong with the HID systems. Kind of burned out the motivation. But this thread has totally rekindled my drive to rebuild it and finally get it running.

Grow on brother.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Elephunk, thanks for stopping by, I highly recommend going with the 55w PL-L's I am using, they put out very intense light and produce the most lumens per watt of any current fluoro's I have seen. The bulbs are 55w PL-L T5 biax and put out 4,800 lumens each. They are exactly 21.5" long and 1.75" wide with the 2g11 socket installed and will fit your case perfectly. I managed to fit 4 in my case on a mock up but I would have lost the light from the entire side of the bulbs on each side, no way to reflect the light down, and they were all jammed in there too close. Were you planning on keeping the cases bolted together and putting 1 fixture in each side? or putting 4 bulbs in one case? I really think 3 bulbs 165 watts 14400 lumens is the sweet spot for one of these cases. I don't see advantages to exceeding 137 watts per square foot?
I bought my fixture from HTG supply for $69 with 2 bulbs included and had 2 3000k bulbs added for like $13 more bucks, got it all for $100 shipped. I then gutted it and used the ballast, bulbs, sockets, and reflector to mount in my PC case. It did require the use of an extra single 55w ballast to get 3 lights in there.

One huge advantage to this case is that it's entirely aluminum including the frame. I bought heat sink glue at Radio shack and glued the reflector to the top of the case. The top of the case is warm to the touch and radiates lots of the heat without even using fans. There are two threads you should check out if you are interested in these lights, some really good info on them.

One is by D.I.try and is about building a good reflector for these lights:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=114922&highlight=pl-l+reflector

The other is by Hydro-Soil and has a wealth of information on these lights and wiring them:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=112670

Elephunk

Dude you're the man. Thank you so much. I think this really is the way to go. I was hoping to be able to use t5s over the t4s anyway. And to find out these put out that much light per bulb is just awesome. I'm planning on keeping the cases together and putting in 3 per case with that diy reflector (thanks for that link too btw). Then in the very middle of the case where the two come together there will be a sort of blank spot. I'm hoping to fill that free space with a UVB emitting T5. I found some that are 20" long and pull 12w. Hopefully it adds more resin.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
That sounds awesome Elephunk!! Keep us updated on the progress. I don't think you will notice any blank spots with 330 watts of PL-L lighting in under 3 square feet LOL. I think the UVB bulb is an interesting idea well worth a try. Are you going to go with soil, hydro, SOG, or SCROG?
I have another Identical case and was thinking of bolting them together but I don't feel like building another aero system for it and decided to build it into a DR. Bud style perpetual SOG with soil. I will be using the exact same lighting with an improved reflector and 10 rows of 3 square pots for a total of 30 plants. Hopefully I can harvest weekly out of this case and try different strains as well as a little breeding.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Good time for some more updates, I just cleaned the res and added full strength veg nutes as they were on a seedling strength mix until now. They are growing fast:

picture.php

picture.php

T

teerull

this doesn't look good.... it's something way better than good! :bigeye:
I can't even describe how much I envy you for having such a setup!

looking forward to some more!

peace,
T:joint:

D.I.trY

Hello, hello - you clearly dont have air in your head do you Mr Aerohead. Looking great buddy.

I noticed you linked my reflector thread! Serious gratifications kind Sir.

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Thanks for all of the kind words, cheesebuds, Riskofwater, teerull, and anyone else that stopped by.

D.I.try, I was hoping you didn't mind me linking your reflector thread, it's a good read for anyone using these lights. I am going to build one of your reflectors for another case soon and eventually for the aero case after it has harvested.

D.I.trY

pretty noticable difference there! what nute strength are you running? I put it up to the max recommended strength on the bottle just yesterday and plants responding well. I think at the W/sqft we're running they need it! good stuff, when are you going to switch 12/12?

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
I am running just a little under recommended by the GH bottles. I added the nutes for 2 gallons into 2.5 gallons as I want a little room for my res volume to swing as they use the water. I have always mixed these GH nutes slightly on the weak side and had good results.

I'm not sure when to go 12/12 as I have never scrogged before. Looks like I need to fill the screen quite a bit more before budding. The breeder whom kindly donated these clones to me claims they bud quickly after switched to 12/12 and stay stout with little stretching. I understand he is using HPS/MH combo so mine will perform differently. I am wide open to suggestions from experienced scroggers as to when I should flower.

Elephunk

Hey aero,

I'll actually be running a similar set up as you. I have 3 tubs that will be my swc/dwc. I plan on putting 6 clones per tub in 2" net pots just like you have and perpetually harvesting one bud stick per week. I figure if I can get this box and the LUI or nebula I plan to run dialed in I should yield decently. I mean this box will theoretically have 27,300 lumens over 2.33 sq ft. So I'm hoping that gives me the density in the yields. we'll see though cause there's a lot more too it than just light.

I feel like this is the method I want to use... But I'm also torn between just running one big scrog. I wonder which would yield more.

I would love to do a high density sog like you're planning with the other case. But how to do that in a hydro set up... I haven't been able to find tubs or good individual containers that I could do that in like that. I was thinking of a micro ebb&flow or micro drip system though and just using small 2" rockwool cubes to hold each clone.

Soil in small containers is probably the best option though for a high density sog like that. Just because of ease of care. I just want the faster growth and added yields of hydro if I can get it though.

decisions decisions.

You're grow is looking just how everyone else has been saying it looks. Downright badass. keep it up man I cant wait to see them in flower. That aeroponic system you made is so freaking cool.

Latest posts

Latest posts