What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trapped in a Closet! 800 watts of Flo, NYCD and Thai Stick Sativas!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
What's up guys, first grow log after lurking for one year. Showing you my DWC grow, done in a closet with folding doors in my spare bedroom. I'm three harvests in:

NYCD F2's by AnnaC. 5/5 popped, vegged for one week and flowering since 5.28.08. 4/5 female, culled the one male today.

To the right of the NYCD's are 5 Thai Stick Sativas from Gypsy Nirvana. 5/6 popped, been flowering since 5.6.08. They were vegged to less than six inches tall, but as you can see they've stretched like 10x. They're now 5 feet, give or take. Stretch has finally slowed, and I think it'll stop soon. I hope... :confused:

These are my Flo moms. These are S1's made by a friend of a friend. This is my third run of the Flo. Good smoke, very much in the head, potent when cured for a month, but I'm looking for a more clear head high. The Flo, to me, seemed like a 'heavy' head high, if that makes sense. I've got 5 cuttings rooting in peat pellets as we speak, I expect to put them in the veg tub within a week, then a week or so of veg until put into the flowering closet.

Specifics of my setup:
2x400w HPS and MH (flowering closet)
2x22w UVB bulbs (each two feet long, the uvb 10.0 ones you get from petsmart - i think they help the trichs go amber quicker, from informal observations of my latest harvest).
4 foot 80w flourescents for veg/cloning
Closet exhaust is 2 of those cheap 6 inch duct fans from Home depot. Passive intake (through gaps in folding doors).
Odor control is a big can fan with an 8 inch squirrel cage fan to serve as a carbon scrubber for the room, set to go off every hour for a few minutes.
Reservoir is nothing but ph corrected tap water (the water is pretty good around here) and lucas formula using GH Florabloom and Floramicro.
Lights on temp (during nighttime) is around 85 F, lights off temp (during day time) is around 80 F. Little warm, I know, but much better than before I put a window A/C unit in. Temps before window unit were 99+ during lights on, high 80s during lights off. :noway:
Still got some decent buds even with the out of control temps, but I'm hoping with the improved temps things will be much better.
I have space for two more tubs in the closet, four total, so I'm thinking I can get 3 harvests every two months or so (assuming the NYCD finish in 60 days with at least a third amber trichs, like the Flo does), with the Thai Sticks probably taking 4 months flowering.

Future strains I'm considering are: Rez's gear (specifically chemdog and kush projects), Kryptonite stuff (kushes), any good indica to add variety to my mostly sativa lineup. :rasta:

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
wadz hadnin' bababooey? i'm pretty disappointed that no one showed you love, so i had to back up the murda crew.

how tall do you veg the flo before you flower? how tall is it after the stretch?

the NYCD f2 is a sure winner. lemme know if you find a good pheno because i'm down to one in flower, but i'm almost sure it is the ruby red grapefruit pheno.

thai stick should be fun. let's just hope the buds end up being worth the long wait.

keep updating bro and i'm sure you'll do us proud.

murda represent!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Tried to upload photos just now but it's not working. I've heard this happens sometimes, I'll try later, I got some pretty good photos.
I veg the Flo to about 6 inches before I put them in the closest and they'll finish probably 2 feet or more. I'm gonna scrog them this time though so hopefully I can get more yield with a more even canopy.
I have 3 female NYCD's. When I rub their stems, my hand smells somewhat lemony, but when I rub the thai stems my hands smell very lemony.
But when I smell the NYCD buds (and they're very immature now, you'll see) the buds don't smell very citrusy, more coffee/chocolate, which is similar to how the Flo smelt. The Thai buds barely have any smell at all, but their buds are even more immature.
I definitely think the NYCD's will have a longer flowering time than the Flo. At least another month, maybe 6 weeks. That's a good 10-12 week flowering time. My Flo's finish in about 8-10 weeks....
:rasta:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Updated pics as of 7/17/08:

IMG_1264.JPG

Two of the Thai's sprouted balls: I don't know how long they've been there or if they released any pollen, I stopped closely checking them a couple weeks ago.
:spank:
On the left is the one that hermied, on the right is a cut of one that hasn't (yet). Hope the three that are still female stay that way.... :redface:

Flofourthharvest01.JPG

Flofourthharvest03.JPG

Sorry for the blurriness of the above shots, but I wanted to show you guys something new I'm trying with my latest batch of Flo.
Instead of netpots and hydroton, I'm using Jiffy peat pellets and Jiffy Pots to grow my clones in. The peat pellets are great for cloning (around 100% so far, so long as the cutting you took is big enough) and then I just drop the clone, pellet and all, into a Jiffy Pot, which is a small cup made out of fiber. Then I drop those into the holes in my tub (about 2" diameter), make sure the water level is touching the pot so it remains wet, and voila: in about 1-2 weeks you'll have nice big roots and taproots reaching down into your water (when the roots get big enough you can drop the water level).
The Jiffy pellets and pots can be found at home depot, pellets go for $2 for 25, pots are similar price, so cheaper than the hydro store and more discrete. Funny though, home depot usually only has a good supply of the pots and pellets when gardening season hits, I haven't found any more of the pots, when I do I figure I'll have to stock up. Probably gardening supply stores will stock it year round I'm thinking...

One warning though: this is the first time I'm using this method and I haven't tried it through a full flowering cycle yet. The Flo I'm using it on is going to have scrog screen in place to hold the weight of the plant up. I'm thinking that if you don't have some sort of support with the Jiffy Pots, they might break down from the weight of the plant once the plant gets big enough, dropping it into the water. Maybe not too big of a deal if your plant is tall enough, but something to be aware of...

nycdflothai.JPG

Here's an overall of the closet itself. Flo with the homemade scrog screen in the middle, nycd on the left, thai's on the right. Made the screen out of 1"x2" and wire, not really the most professional thing but hopefully it does the job.
As you can see, especially with the thai's, I've trimmed the undergrowth a lot, to focus bud growth more on the upper branches.

3rdharvestflo1.JPG

Here's about half of the harvest from my last Flo crop, harvested around mid June. Gave half of it to my buddy, who shared it around with some friends.
Not a very clear shot, I know, but buds were decently frosty. This harvest suffered from light burn and heat stress though, so I expect my future harvests to have bigger buds.
As far as a smoke report, the high was more narcotic than previous runs because I let the trichs go mostly amber. Potent stuff. My friend, who has more experience than me and has smoked plenty of homegrown, rates it as a 7.5 to 8; this was with only a 2-3 week cure. I hope this next run will be even better because I'm managing the temps now and have raised the lights...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Long time no update. I've been treating the midwest growers unit thread (http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=1916886#post1916886) as my own personal thread but I figure I have to post here to keep up with you all.

NYCD harvest in day 3 of a water cure.

I screwed up my harvest from overnuting (I've since bought a Milwaukee ec pen and am already finding it indispensable) so only a couple zips, looks like. Only popcorn nugs, unfortunately, but they're dense, sticky, resiny and crystally at least. :rasta:

First couple days of water cure, it didnt smell that much. But now the cooler smells like a dead skunk. Seriously, a skunky, unpleasant odor. I don't know if it smells diesel-ish. What does diesel fuel smell like? Like regular gas? More spicy or tangy? I don't know what the eff I'm talking about, i'm rambling...

:joint:

Another tub of flo, about two weeks in the flowering chamber. They've tripled in size (maybe quadrupled). I'm scrogging them, hope to get some nice thick colas.

Two more tubs of flo, just put in today. Cloned them in peat pellets, vegged them in a bubble tub (note: you have to take them out of the peat pellets before putting them in a netpot w/ hydroton or else the peat pellet will inhibit root growth [this does not happen in soil, only hydro]) for around a week (little stretch, they were only under 100w of flouros) and as soon as a decent healthy looking root mass is poking out of the netpot thrown into the flowering chamber.

I fully expect from now on to have good yields, maybe near 1g a watt (I'm hoping, I know, maybe I'm dreaming, but I think it could be possible).

hazy

Veteran
hey bababooey, you'll like the nycd i bet. I have one that I kept for a mom from a pack of those annaC f2s. lemony sour to the extreme. might have that clear head high you're looking for. Actually a hazy foggy clear high. The Thai should have it even better.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Thanks Hazy.
I just read your post in the joint rolling thread. You posted a pic of an almost 6 foot rattlesnake you found in your backyard. Freaky stuff, man. Does that mean you can't own a dog?

I hope my nycd has an electric, energizing high. My friend bought some last year and it really gave me a stimulating buzz, which I really enjoyed. Not that I don't like my indica couchlock highs, but it's always good to mix it up, no?

And the AnnaC seeds at least showed uniformity. I haven't yet selected a mom from the three females I got, but I'm figuring what with the uniformity they might all smoke the same?

The Thai yield I was really disappointed in, almost no actual buds to speak of just flowers. I'm going to run it again with phosphoload: it has a plant hormone regulator called paclobutrazol in it that's supposed to stop stretch and promote bud growth. I'm not a big fan of using chemicals in my grows (other than my chem nutes :rasta: ) but I figure I almost need a product like that for my Thai sticks...

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran

Here's are roots after a few days in the veg tub (maybe i put this in 3-4 days ago?). When I first put in the flo clones, it had like 2-3 small white roots barely sticking out of the netpot, now you'll even see a taproot.

I think this'll go into the closet soon, maybe even tonight.

rootfingers

Right on Baba, things are looking up for you. I am glad for that.

Best of luck on this next cycle of flo, she sounds quite nice and will most certainly be very nice smoke.

Finally cooling down around the midwest. Maybe it will help keep those temps in check. Which, got me thinking, what are your water temps like? When I used to grow dwc and I noticed that whatever my ambient temp was was very close to my water temp. Although I realize its likely you already know of the potential for root infections with high water temps. . . anyway, just blabbin. Like I said, glad to see a cool down. Take 'er easy Baba.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
So I swear I spend like half an hour working on a post last night, and I'm sure I submitted it correctly but now that I check this thread I see it didn't post! So now I gotta rewrite everything, grumble grumble... :cuss:

Root: Thanks for checking in! As far as res temps go, a few weeks ago I bought a cheapo aquarium thermometer from wallyworld and tossed it in my res. It showed 75F during lights on, when ambient temps were 80F. I don't know why the water temp would be lower than the room temp, maybe because of the bubbling action? I also foil tape my tubs to prevent light from hitting the water and heating it up.
I don't think i've ever had root rot. I've felt my rootmasses after harvest and they don't feel slimy. They are brown though, but I think that's the nute solution (that GH Micro is dark, dark stuff). But I've seen grows using GH nutes and they had whiter roots, so maybe ideally mine should be white(r)?

I was recently gifted a very nice collection of seeds by an icmagger who wishes to remain anonymous. Here they are:

Overall shot of the lot: 5 packs of 5 seeds each.

Good ol' Sam the Skunkman Original Thai Haze by Skunk 1. I'm going to run my GN Thai Stick again to see if I can do a better job, but if not I might be cracking these puppies open (I also have a 5pack from an earlier order). That is, if I care to run another 6 month sativa. :bashhead:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran

This pack intrigues me a lot: they're feminized, so no culling of males (big convenience, my Flo were feminized S1's, and even though they showed some phenotypical variation its been the best stuff Ive grown and is actually pretty darn good). I'm thinking from the name it's a cross of White widow and Cinderella 99, two of the more awesome strains floating around.

The label says Hashberry F2's. F2's by another icmagger? I've heard good things about Mandala seeds and Hashberry in particular; since Mandala is no longer in business his genetics will become rare, so it's nice that I have these seeds.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran

Super Star intrigues me as well: I'm pretty sure from the name it has Sensi Star in it, which a lot of posters on icmag say is a very potent indica. I did a quick search and I think it's from Delta 9 Labs, is that right?

I'm really psyched about these seeds. Verite is an icmagger I respect a lot for his contributions to this site as well as his humor. You just know he's smoking some good stuff. I know his latest seed release is called Holy Grail (a little presumptious? maybe, but if it fits the bill...) but i've always been intrigued by the Orange Diesel. Cali Orange x ECSD, right?

I'm going to be popping one of these strains in a couple weeks. Does any one have any input on what I should pop? I'm leaning toward Widowrella, with Orange Diesel and Super Star close seconds. I'm taking votes so opinions will be appreciated... :joint:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran

These girls have only been in a week and they've more than doubled in size. EC has risen from .60 to .70 over that time, but it's stablized the last couple days. Before I got the EC meter, I'd be over-nuting these girls like crazy. I'm pretty sure overnuting stunted my growth and delayed maturity...

Second tub of Flo, they've been in for a week also. Made sure the water's touching the netpots and root growthis getting robust. :rasta:

This tub has been in for 3 weeks. Shouldn't they be a lot bigger? Their stretch is starting to get faster. I hope they continue to stretch so the screen gets filled. They've been showing buds for the last week, so technically i'm still only 7-10 days into flower, right? I overnuted these girls, starting them out at ec 1.2 from the beginning, so I think that's slowed their growth down.
:fsu: Good thing is that the ec hasn't gone up in the last few days, so maybe it's stabilizing and they're starting to feed appropriately...

I have a Thai Stick clone that's been in a cube for a week, haven't seen any roots yet but should soon. I bought some phosphoload so i can run it properly: stop stretch and pack on bud weight. I don't think i'll use it for the other tubs, for a landrace sativa grown indoors i think it's almost necessary.

rootfingers

When you ran the flo before, was it a stretcher? She looks like she is well into flowering and almost through with the stretch (I say that generally as I haven't grown flo). It is definitely possible you stunted them a bit early on with such a high ec. They do look nice and green and healthy now though. What sort of nutrient regimen are you using?

Also, technically, you start counting the flower time after the first 12hr dark period.

Last edited:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Cozy: Thanks for stopping by! I'll be sure to check in on your rubbermaid grow too.

Rootfingers: Yeah, you may be right. It's still stretching though, growing maybe an inch per day. I've run her multiple times before, stretch was 3-4x at least, usually more, so I'm hoping it will continue to stretch. Isn't stretch like 40% of a plant's flower cycle?
I shouldn't have put them into a tub with 1.2 ec. I got lazy though, and instead of dumping the tub, I just pumped out half the solution and replaced with ph-corrected water. It lowered the ec from 1.8 to 1.2 and I thought that was fine, but now I realize when i put clones in the ec should be at most .60, more like .40... Although I think the ec of my tap is .40 alone...
I'm using the Lucas Formula, so I'm using GH FloraMicro and Flora Bloom (1 part micro to 2 parts bloom). Strong, strong stuff, and since my grow is modest I have to be really careful with overnuting... :bashhead:
As far as flower time goes, I know people on icmag, sometimes they measure flower time from 1st day of 12/12 and sometimes they measure from first sight of buds (so one guy says this strain takes 80 days of 12/12, another guy says 65 days of flower, they might be the same thing, since it takes a week or two to show flowers). I know, it's confusing so you have to be detailed. Me, I like to calculate both: this tub's been in for 3 weeks but really it's probably in its 1st or 2nd week of flowering.... Gives me hope that it has a lot more stretch left in her... :rasta:

rootfingers

Ah, the Lucas formula. I think I am using something similar now as well. I am using 1part (6ml) micro to 1.5part (9ml) bloom with 5ml sweet (all per gln) for a little extra mg as I'm in RO water. When I did the dwc I was using pbp nutes. I think you made the right choice nutrient wise though as your girls seem very healthy and happy.

Yeah, I don't know why we don't have a consensus on when to start counting flowering time yet. I use the first 12 hour dark period because it is definitive. If one waits for flowers to start appearing, then one is relying on personal judgement of how big a blossom is before you start counting flower time. This means your count is completely subjective and will probably not be an accurate comparison for others. As far as differing flower times for different people, I would chalk that up to personal taste or phenotypical differences.

That said, I do hope she fills out the screen for ya!

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Root: Yeah, the Lucas Formula recommends 8mL micro and 16mL bloom per gallon during flowering, half that during veg. I personally think 8 and 16 is too strong, although that's probably size and strain dependent (the bigger the plant, the more nutes she'll take, and my Thai landrace sativa doesn't like heavy nutes at all).
I looked up Sweet. Is this what you're using:http://www.4hydroponics.com/nutrients/sweet.asp ?
They have a berry and citrus formula. So is that supposed to make your buds more fruity tasting/smelling as well? That'd be awesome. Use some of the Berry formula on a berry tasting bud and it might come out tasting so good you'll smoke it for the taste alone. :rasta: The hammering high will just be a bonus.
So is the Sweet like using molasses, in that it gives the plants more carbs/energy? I bought a bottle of some blackstrap, used it a little bit in my last runs, didn't notice much of a difference but then again I was overnuting then. I don't know if molasses is supposed to be used in hydro so if I want to use a carbo additive I might have to go with something like Sweet...

I'm using Superthrive this run. Supposed to have some B1 and some hormones in it, give the plant a boost. I feel my rootmass in the 3 week tub is lagging behind so maybe it'll boost the growth. They say rainwater has B1 in it, so by putting B1 into the res I'm simulating its natural environment. Who knows if it'll make any difference, but it was cheap, I'm using one drop a gallon so this little bottle should last me years... :joint:

rootfingers

Yeah, the sweet is a supplement that I use for the extra mg. It also happens to have plenty of carbohydrates in it so I took the molasses out of my mix. Everything is working very well now. As far as flavor though, I haven't noticed it. I use the berry but really I don't taste a difference. Maybe once my berry is almost out I'll pick up the citrus and do a side-by-side with the same strain.

Currently I am in coco, when I was in dwc I didn't use it or molasses but I think your reasoning is on point when it comes to applying sweet to hydroponics.

Never used superthrive but I have used b-1. I use it exclusively during transplant now (used to foliar spray with it too) but I am having trouble accepting that it actually does anything. I certainly don't think it will harm anything though.

Never heard that rain water has b-1 in it. That seems strange, stranger things have been proven to be true though.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
I was thinking of getting cal-mag if my girls need more mg (but i think the tap water im using for my res has cal in it so dont want to go overboard on the cal)... do the carbos also help increase growth rate? Not that you can tell, if you haven't done a side by side. Most of the time, with supps, you dont even know if they're making much of a difference...
I've heard it said that you can tell how good a grower is by how FEW bottles of nutes/supps they use. There's probably a lot of truth in that. All I know is every hydro store/website carries hundreds of different bottles, many of which cost 30-100+ dollars. It's like the supplement industry for humans, which is also unregulated: 'take this pill and: you'll lose 20 pounds in a week, or have better skin, bigger breasts, bigger penis, etc'. I should come up with my own line of supplements...

The B1 in rainwater was told to me by a guy at the hydro store, so always take that with a grain of salt... It sounded good though.

I hear coco's the rage, it's basically like hydro but in a soilless medium. Lot of organic growers like coco too, it's renewable unlike peat. Is it more expensive to run than hydro, just cause you gotta buy coco whereas tap water is free?

Update: My Thai hermied and pollinated by NYCD (a big thai branch was hanging right over the diesel and would shake every time i opened the door, so i was sprinkling pollen on the nycd a few times a day...
:bashhead:
The bud is fully seeded. Germ test showed 3/10 popped after 48 hours:

The third one is a little white nubbin so you might not see it. What's the best way to harvest seeds from bud?

Latest posts

Latest posts