What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trapped in a Closet! 800 watts of Flo, NYCD and Thai Stick Sativas!

rootfingers

Bababooey said:
What's the best way to harvest seeds from bud?
:joint:

I have no idea. :confused:

It's funny you mention Cal/mag though, as it's the reason I switched to Sweet. RO water ( My water sucks :/ ) in conjunction with the Cal/mag got rid of a magnesium deficiency but made my mix too nitrogen rich. The bit of mg in Sweet corrected the deficiency without the N (or calcium in your case). It was glorious! The carbohydrates in it were a bonus as I didn't have to use molasses anymore to feed the beneficial bacteria. Went from two bottles to one!

Your herm issue. Is it light leak related? I say that cause you mentioned that the plant is near a door. I hang in my room for 15 minutes with the light completely out every now and then to make sure no light is coming in. I'm sure you realize this already as you are past the 101 class but thought I'd mention it anyway for everybody else reading your thread. (Don't worry I'll start my own soon too and quit bogging yours down here ;)

peace Baba.

P.S. you're right on about the grow shops, lots of expensive filler.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
That's what I mean: by going from two bottles to one, you're becoming a better grower. How did you know your mix was too nitrogen rich? Too much stretching in flower? Leaves too green? Burn at the tips?

Yeah, the herm was from a light leak: there's a seam inbetween the folding halves of my closet doors. The room is pretty dark but there is almost 100w of flouros going in the corner, which is my mother and cloning area. I guess just enough light came in through the crack... Didn't help that that hanging branch was right next to the crack.
I've hung out in my closet with the door closed, it's pretty much dark, the light from the crack doesn't penetrate more than an inch or two into the closet.
Don't worry about posting, so far you're the only one here. :rasta: Whenever you start your own thread i'll make sure to bump you regularly. Your thread's gonna be 400 posts long and half of them will be from me... :rasta:
I do notice that the more popular threads have really good pics in them. Even better if you have a macro lens for those trich shots, everyone loves trich shots, they're like titty shots for stoners. I think there's a thread on here on how to turn a cheap magnifying glass into a kind of macro lens for your camera (cause those things arent cheap, an SLR and a macro lens is gonna run into the several hundreds, money that could be spent on a bong...)

Speaking of pics, here's an update on the closet:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran

The smaller Flo's are growing merrily along, they've only been in the closet barely a week and a half. They're gonna need scrog screens soon; I have one but I have to get off my lazy ass and build one more...
:violin:

The bigger Flo's are budding out. I added two gallons of water plus ph down (they were at about 5.3). EC was at 1.29 (increase of .04 over the last two days), after addback it was 1.21. They're really really green but not burned at the tips; can this be a sign of overnuting?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Update on the closet: In a moment of stoner revelation two days ago, I realized I hadnt lowered the lights since I raised them ages ago because of the stupid super tall thai. So I lowered the lights and the girls are loving it, they were like over 3 feet away from the tubs now they're a little over a foot away. The way the small ones are growing makes me think i almost have the nutes dialed in. And I'm realizing i have lots of open space and light that's being wasted, so I'm gonna fill each tub with 6-7 clones instead of 3. Then I might achieve close to a gram a watt (thats hard to measure though since i have 4 tubs, with different strains, being harvested at different times) once I maximize my available space.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran

Update on the closet (right and left halves, 3 tubs total). I'm only feeding them ph corrected tap water for the last 2-3 weeks, they're growing merrily along. The GH nutes I'm using are so strong, I think 3 tablespoons (1 micro, 2 bloom) in 13 gallons of water might be enough for an entire cycle! These tubs might be done in about 6 weeks, the one on the left maybe quicker cause it was put in earlier. I've also decided to go with a sog instead of a scrog so Ill be putting 5-6 clones in each tub from now on, to fill out all that space (im wasting valuable lumens). :rasta:
I know my plant numbers will be higher than i like, but that's what happens if you flower straight from clones, you pretty much have to go with sog if you want a decent yield.
Ran into cloning issues again (my last rockwool attempt didnt root, tried rooting them in my veg tub and that didnt work either, they got this like slime on the cut ends) so went back to good old reliable peat pellets. A week to root, a week in the veg tub (which only fully roots them for hydro), then into the closet.
I have a 72 pack left should get me through the winter, I also picked up another pack of 72 from Home depot this weekend (the jiffy products were way up on a top shelf since they're not in season) so im set.
I also noticed HD is carrying superthrive now, and organic fertilizers made from fish emulsion and worm poop. So does this mean i never have to go to the hydro store if i wanted to grow organic soil? (they already have perlite and peat)

M

mrred

i got some black 18 gal rubbermaids from walmart, i think they got the black ones for halloween few years ago i had to go with the blue ones and hurt my yeild cause i think the light leaks help cause root rot but they finished and all the stress made them smell like actual flowers,

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
MrRed: Yeah, you definitely want to foil tape any container that's not light impermeable when you're doing dwc. It doesn't take long either, i can do a tub in like 15 minutes, taking my time.

Update on the closet:

Flo tub #1, just under 3 weeks of 12/12. Budding out. I'm thinking 5 more weeks?

Flo tub #2, also just under 3 weeks of 12/12. I can see daily growth in the buds, which is the way it should be.

Flo tub #3, probably around 5 weeks of 12/12. I tried scrogging it earlier but removed the screen.
Putting clones into the flower closet without vegging doesn't allow the plant to grow enough to fill out the screen. I think im going to go with 4-5 plants per tub and top them, maybe more than once, and then put a screen to keep the colas up.

I'm probably going to crack the Super Star next, an icmagger in the midwest growers thread was interested in seeing how they turn out. Anyone else have any votes? Hint, hint....

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
Update on the closet:

Tubs 1 and 2.

Tub 3 plus a closeup of it. Little overexposed, anyone know how to correct it in photoshop?

sneakinman13

Veteran
was thinking about gettin superthrive aswell..
do you kno if u can use it in soil as well??
and how are the results as of now? :rasta:

what up bababooey! Found the thread... throw a couple of pics your room up. How are you still in the high 80's w/ a AC unit going? Have you though of better venting? What do your Rez temps stay at? I see you gave you on that Scrog haha not that easy huh? I got that new ballast its 1/4 the sise and weight f the old one and had to only pay $10 more to go digital. I think you should pop those Superstars and tell me how they are. I heard the strain is kinda nute sensitive so Id look out during vegging. Kepp postin bro later

yo try air cooling your lights to bring down the temp like 10 degs... im looking back at my last post... I swear i know how to type hahaha Try an inline fan sucking the air out of the room threw the lights

M

mrred

have you tried tieing them down with strings, i think its called lst

my first grow a long time ago, turned out to be a male :(

M

mrred

oh and as for the overexposure, normally you cant adjust it to be darker because the information isnt there because its white, but its easier for underexposures, i use a program called the gimp, its free and very powerful

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
SM13: You can definitely use Superthrive in soil. In fact, people who grow those 1000+ pound pumpkins swear by it, supposedly. I haven't noticed a difference, except overall my grow is healthier, but that's probably due more to my stopping the overnuting im thinking... but one bottle has like 2000 drops in it, use about 1 drop per gallon, that should last many months....
they just started selling it at HD too, for like 9 bucks a bottle, cheaper and lasts longer than any of those 'designer' supps that the hydro companies sell.

Murderapolis: I dont see where i said my temps were 80? maybe its just me, i AM high right now... :rasta:
but they DID spike during a little warm spell we had last week: i think temps reaches high 80's on sunday. but that only lasted like 2 days and now we're down to 50's. my room is about 70 degrees now; it's liking october in illinois :rasta: in jan, feb ill probably have to find a way to WARM the room...

MRR: you let it grow that big before you found out it was male? What?!? and you only grew the one? that musta sucked... :joint:
thanks for the tip on editing photos...

closeup again of a flo bud. now this was taken under a 400w mh so you cant see the crystals all that well, but there are more there than what you see.

Last edited:

Dr Watt

Who What
Tag. Superthrive - any stronger than 1dop/gallon should be considered an experiment :joint:

Edit 1 drop a litre is ok and aero cuttings 1ml per 10 litres plus 20-24c will work :joint:

Last edited:
M

mrred

do you know how to turn on the macro option in your camera , should be able to get at close at 3cm from the bud

rootfingers

Hey Baba, hope your good. That flo looks (tony the tiger) GRRREAT!
The cold is great eh? Hope it sticks around this time.

My vote is for super star and/or widorella.

HaHaHa I might have been the one blazed... I was trying out a new vap called I Inhale its ok i think... My buddy thinks its the shit but he has to say that because he dropped like $200. So you grow in an apt... How do you harvest/cure and hide the smell?

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
JS: Welcome! I agree, superthrive any more than a drop per gallon is too much. I put in like 10 drops in each 13 gallon res, and since then Ive put in several gallons of ph corrected water so its even more diluted than that.
supposedly it helps most with transplanting, so i think ill only use it when clones go into the tubs...

MRR: Yeah, ive been using the cheap digi-macro option on the camera. been experimenting with photoshop too, adjusting the levels. without an slr and macro lens, i dont know if my pics will ever be A+. oh well...

RF: Welcome back! long time no see. yeah, the cold is definitely good for my room, although ive got a window ac that handles the temps quite well in summer. midwest weather is so crazy, you always have to figure that there's gonna be a few 80 degree days in october. i can handle it.

MUR: I like vapes too, but there something about a bong hit that's very satisfying... I should break out my vapes again, need to mix it up once in a while... i tried youtubing the i inhale vaporizer: looks like a cool portable handheld vape, but i cant find any vids of people using them. ive seen vapes where people hook up a gas mask to the vape, those look like an interesting way to get high...
I grow in a closet in a spare bedroom. I have a canfan and a carbon filter acting as a scrubber in the room, works really well, you cant even smell anything outside the room. plus it helps that it's very rare someone who doesnt know i grow visits me, and i try to keep it that way... :joint:

UPDATE:

Gotta love the peat pellets! roots in 6 days...

My poor nycd moms, for some reason vegging real slowly. this was the batch i heavily overnuted, and took flowering clones from. i hope they reveg so i can get some clones, i never really had a chance to smoke her (first crop was all seeds).

Flo tub, 3 weeks and two days of 12/12 and look at this.

I've decided to crack 3 Super Star seeds out of 5 that were gifted to me! Hope I get a female! I'll probably keep the males around to make some F2's: i just hope i can limit how well seeded the buds are...

I expect this strain to be my most potent yet. wish me luck!

M

mrred

just dont zoom in, you'll be able to get closer, manual focus may help too