What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Deep Chunk Grow Log

Hey everyone this will be a 6 Deep Chunks grow log and they've just gone from the 130w CFL to the 250w MH digital.

Their current cup medium consists of coco, compost, perlite, vermiculite, and a pinch of rare earth. For their final 3 gallon transplant, will add some pumice, zeolite, carbon, and greensand to their medium and hopefully finish them off with E.J. Bloom and Sweet Leaf along with the E.J. Catalyst. Am about to give them a little Sensizyme next. So far they are growing off the compost which is high in nitrogen along with some Ful-mag and E.J. Microblast mixed together.

Last edited:
Thanks chubbynugs, they are now switched to the 400watt MH Hortilux Blue through vegging. While they've just started and are slow veggers and low yielders indoors, the challenge will be to get some chunky nuggage off these puppy's whilst seeded.

Just watered them with some EJ Microblast in combo with Ful-Mag so the leaves are semi-droopy. Still have 2 Flo female clones so there will be some dirty dancing later on with those to make some Deep Flo offspring on the side. Will try to update the grow log with pics as often as I can as they gradually progress into chunky monkeys.

Last edited:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good, Slickster! :D How long do you plan on vegging them, seeing they're slow veggers? Where'd you get the beans?

I'll be running a DC hybrid soon, and am leaning towards vegging it 90 days, get 'em big!

Keep 'em green! I'll be watching! :lurk:

G

Whose DC seeds did you use, Tom Hill, HTC, Richard Williams, etc.?

G

Great job slickster!
Always love to see those fat, glossy Deep Chunk leafs.
Ill take a seat. :lurk:

Gunnarguchi

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great looking plants.
Ill be watching this one ( when my new internet connection is up and running)

Thanks Highlighter, will probably let them go for two more months minimum in vegging as they are 1 month old on this day. What D.C. hybrid do you have? If it is crossed iwth a fast growing, high yielding strain then that may cut down the veg time a month depending on how big you want them.

Hey Ravenar, I got the beans from Seedbay when they had them up and these are Tom's stock. The certain ones that have more gloss in their leaves are the ones that do not like to be overwatered the most. Possibly because this gloss and shean on the leaves in some way behaves as parrafin wax which helps cutting keep from wilting. So they may have a role and determination in water retention ratios while the gloss is apparent, it could be a genetic cursor that assists with young plant survival where water could become sparse at points during the early growth stages where a plant is trying to establish itself and its root system.

Named the 6 alphabetically from A to F, and here is a pic of them getting into their veg mode from seedlings.

Last edited:
lookin good slickster... those plants are seriously fat and low, big and dense, no stretching or nothing... that is what the mh does to those babies?
they are looking nice, cant wait to see them with some pistils

Yes ganjadreams, the metal halide sure does help keep them short and growing them in soil and especially their genes. Will veg then for about 3 months total, so 2 more till flowering. Deep Chunk E appears to have kush like growth patterns in the leaf structure not too different than how the Pine Tar Kush grows. I have a pack of those as well for later and have grown some in the past already. Here are just a few more pics of the green cabbage patch this fine weekend.

Am trying to keep the soil from becoming too wet or too dry while aiming for that balance in between. The glossiest leafed Deed Chunk C is the first to ask for extra iron. Trying to keep them all dry in between light waterings and transplant is this weekend so that will help them have a balanced moisture and nutes. Not sure if I should transplant into 1 gallon containers or the 3 gallon containers which they will eventually end up in anyway.

Last edited:
G

Did you say you were going to veg for 2 months? Wow... you will have some monsters Chunks. :D If you are vegging that long then I suggest transplanting into 1 gals and letting them fill those containers then doing a final transplant to 3 gals a week or two before flower. Your plants will love you for it.
Deep Chunk F does look very nice. But I agree it is probably a male being how much taller it is. Are you planning on doing anything with the pollen or are you going to chuck that chunk? :D
Peace and great work with those beauties!

Hey Ravenevar, the fastest initial growing Deep Chunk F turned out to be female and the others caught up shortly thereafter to even out. They have now been transplanted into the 1 gallon containers and the male Deep Chunks will be used to pollinate the females for a good medicine stock for years to come.

They can be finicky with certain parameters, such as not liking too much or too little water. They don't like to stay in small pots rootbound as they will drink the water too quickly and require daily waterings which will not help with damping off. And they don't like it too dry, or hot in immediate organic nutrients. It has demands for calcium and magnesium and potassium in balanced ratios along with the rest of the micronutrients at an increasing rate to size ratio. Followed up with E.J. Microblast and Ful-mag and have seen 1 female so far with preflowers and is Deep Chunk A.

Last edited:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
Those have such a lush green tint them. I love it. I think i might grab some of those beans if i ever see them around.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
Nice DC's. I just put 6 clones into flower yesterday. I can't wait to fill my jar with some DC nugs. This is a high quality Indica for sure.

Thanks chubbynugs, here you can see Deep Chunk E at 40 days shown at different angles and lighting for different shades of green. Closet Funk, the piney Indica smells are prime when they fill the jar. And cuts taken from the bottom shoots are definitely the way to go with some clonex.

The soil mix is:
Compost,
Coco,
Carbon,
Perlite,
Vermiculite,
Pumice,
Greensand, and lava rocks at the bottom with pumice in between them.

Even though the mix is well aereated I had to flush a 1/4 gallon after a week. The compost had become a bit stronger and so was getting imbalanced with certain elements becoming too concentrated. Next will be the 3 gallon black containers and will add some powdered sea shells into the soil mix as a calcium buffer along with zeolite, carbon, and extra vermiculite.

The Deep Chunk F female will get the best light spot. Here is Deep Chunk A and B, which have not shown preflowers yet, bet they are both females.

On Deep Chunk B here, you can see there is a middle set of leaflets coming out the top of the main leaf set. There are also 2 petioles instead of 1 per set, with the other 2 leaflets manifesting themselves from the extra petiole. In a way the one leafset that is like this reminds me of cannabis chinesis and how it grows budlets from the petioles. Also on Deep Chunk D (female), at about 1 foot it started mutating the leaves to where there was only stem for the fan leaves with the leaves only growing in sparse areas leaving some of the leaf set stems with nothing but bare stem and then perhaps some more leaf on the end. All of which cleared up quite quickly after a few sets went out of that one it snapped out of it and Tom says these can be the phenos to look out for when searching for extra resin coverage. I am thinking in terms of a real Hashplant, but who knows what will come of it and what potency lies therein.

Have added a 4ft, 6700K, 260watt CFL striplight along with the 400watt MH Hortilux Blue on top now that their upper canopy is filling in more. They work simultaneously together on spectrums and light penetration angles. The females are Deep Chunk A, B, D, and F. With Deep Chunk E and C being the two males.

Last edited:

hidingtree

hey! lookin good slickster ! lovin your grow log(s) as always ..... glad to see you with these ! i love that piney indica smell ! brings back the good ol days of some of the best . ah memories ! in our current collection we don't have any piney stuff .... mostly sweet and skunky . (and muddy ) don't mind me i'm not complaining .... just sinnin' by coveting yer stuff hee hee ! many blessings , i'll see you around this thread ....as things progress !~hidingtree

Hey there Hidingtree, glad you stopped by as these D. Chunks have grown for 4 months now and look just about ready to start flowering. So here are the 2 males so far and both will be used for open pollination. DC C was the fastest growing male so I had to top him several times and keep him out of direct light and in the 1 gallon without transplant. He still averages the untopped height of DC E.

They are currently under a 400w Hortilux HPS in combo with a 250w HPS, with 250w of CFL for side lighting the lower branches. Will go get some shots of the 4 females in a few hours.

Last edited:
Hey there Hidingtree, glad you stopped by as these D. Chunks have grown for 4 months now and look just about ready to start flowering. So here are the 2 males so far and both will be used for open pollination. DC C was the fastest growing male so I had to top him several times and keep him out of direct light and in the 1 gallon without transplant. He still averages the untopped height of DC E.

They are currently under a 400w Hortilux HPS in combo with a 250w HPS, and some 5 CFL bulbs for side lighting the lower branches. Here are the females starting with DC D, which has not been topped but yet has many tops. Mutant leaves at veg stage left only stem at parts of the leaves anywhere in between and then it vanished after a few sets.

Last edited:

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
beautiful thread bro! interesting fast growing male!

do you plan to sell the seeds from seedbay?

Thanks Esbe, had never thought about myself selling anything as these seeds are for medicinal stash. Using two males should provide for twice the variety, as preserving diversity is important for supporting this strain. The both males are now beggining pollination of the 4 Deep Chunk females, all at 1 week flowering right now. First day of 12/12 fed Earth Juice Bloom to females along with Fulmag, Age Old Kelp, and E.J. Microblast. Now they just received a last dose of Hydroguard (beneficial bacteria), and a dose of Liquid Karma. Here are Deep Chunk A, D, and F at a few angles.

Deep Chunk F is the only female to have been topped, and she was topped once as she was growing vertically the fastest and needed to stay the average height of the others.

Last edited: