What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Current Grow - 10 Varieties

hidingtree

how did the light cycle work ? hope your buds were all nor cali style !are you gonna stick with the prescribed light schedule and do you notice a differece from straight 12/12?

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well it worked fine, in that all the strains except the Malawi and the slow skunks were triggered at 14/10 - and I'm sure that's increased overall bud size, as they got 2 hours extra a day for ten days at the crucial time. And all the weed has a noticeably stimulating quality, even the indica-dom strains, so I'm more and more convinced this 'virtual latitude' theory stands up.

As for the Malawi - I pulled it out last night. It is re-growing, but not at the speed or the density I need. All the other plants are doing great, but a lot shorter, and at a totally different stage, and frankly it was becoming a pain to accomodate the Malawi anymore - it was taking up too much space. Much of the burnt bud is unusable as it happened before any serious resin formation, unlike the skunks - so I would just be smoking dead leaf basically. I reckon I can salvage around half the plant to smoke.

However, the two MG X Flo phenos look similar to this one, though more compact, so I'm putting all my efforts into these two now - they are my first successful crosses, and they deserve my fullest attention...:)

G

Hey EM, sorry to hear about the mishap. I'm pretty good at goofing stuff up, so I feel your pain. Of course, I'm glad to hear the skunks faired well as I'm quite partial to that strain. Too bad about the MG, but at least you have the crosses you've made. Those should more than make up for the troubles! :joint:

SEEDYNONO

Veteran
damn just saw this about the malawi that really is a bummer elevator man!

:badday:

reminds me i need to plan this next flower period of mine very well as i'm going to try using smaller containers (1 gallon bags) and coco.. which will dry out much faster than the 2 gallon soil bags!

my sweet blues in those tiny dixie cups (i think 9 oz) are really starting to drink a lot. i just wish they would show sex so i can toss the males! i don't have enough room to transplant all the plants i have to flower size containers.. at least my sweet skunks are fem so i can hopefully put them all straight to flower without any pollen issues!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
A few of mine are in smaller pots than I'd like - the Black Domina X Maple Leaf - they're drinking it up like crazy. But it's pushing 90 F at the moment in there - it's so damn warm in the UK for April, it's insane. So I'm upping the water considerably now, as I can't afford any more cooked plants. I'm keeping the yeast/CO2 going, which will give them some protection - might add another jug tomorrow actually.

I'll take some pics tomorrow - the MG X Flo phenos are looking amazing - well, everything is, but I'm particularly interested in these two, as their mother is sadly compost, as of today. The whole plant.

But I don't want to talk about it...sniff...:(

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
:yoinks: Wow man, Ive checked in on this grow from time to time, but never posted, and I have to say Im very impressed. I really like ur strain selection, and u seem to have quite the green thumb. I will be :lurk: from now on if thats OK...Keep it up man, very very nice lookin plants. Oh and Im sorry about that Malawi Gold, that was the one I was most interested in actually...Peace man.

- Zeus :wave:

:respect:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks for the comments - it's nice to know I'm keeping folks entertained with all this as well...:)

As for the Malawi - such is life. I've got lots of seeds from our time together, and the progeny look fantastic, with hopefully improved flower time, bud density and resin coverage.

The third Black Domina X Maple Leaf is really weird - it's much, much slower than the other two, has a completely different leaf shape and is taller and bushier - it's the one in the top left of the pic above. I'll post new pics of this one tonight, but it's a very odd and interesting pheno compared to the other two. This one may get some Flo pollen on it soon... :chin:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Here's some new photos I just took of the grow - looking good, with the majority of the plants on 34 days of 12/12 - the two Thais and the taller Flo F2 went in a week later, so they're just under four weeks.

The Malawi Gold X Flo are looking amazing, with multiple long colas forming. They're fundamentally Malawi-dominant, though the calyxes are bigger, and the internodal distance is shorter. Also, the smell of the resin, though also similar to the Malawi, has the undeniable darker funk of Flo in there. Both phenos are very similar, with the one on the right just a touch 'shaggier'.

The Skunk X Flo pheno is amazingly indica-dominant physically; far more so than either parent. The resin smells like a very fruity Flo... :chin:

The Cheese X Yumboldt (Chumboldt) smells amazingly funky, and rather similar to my Mystery Strain, which really got me thinking! Despite the sativa leaves, this also flowers in a very chunky way - should be a great smoke this one.

The Black Domina X Maple Leaf are incredibly heavy-set - two of them are anyway. The one pictured is the much slower and taller pheno - far more delicate in structure, and with a different leaf-shape altogether - no resin to speak of on this one yet.

Now the Malawi Gold has gone, I'm hoping I can keep spider mites under control - this crop has had much heavier and more regular neem sprays, and they look a lot better for it! But the MG X Flo phenos will be most susceptible I'm guessing, though their leaves seem a lot thicker and tougher than the pure Malawi - fingers crossed...:)

Malawi Gold X Flo(#2 male):

Black Domina X Maple Leaf Indica (slow pheno):

Skunk X Flo (left) and Cheese X Yumboldt (right):

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Fuck...! :(

Fuck...! :(

Well I've just been given the wonderful news that I have to quit my place on the 15th July - don't worry, it's the second-worst thing that can happen, not the first!

My landlord has got the QEFTSG bug, and has decided to rip out the apartments, do them up in a yuppie stylee, and sell them off for a vast profit and squat on his savings until he stiffs it. I'm not that surprised - they're all doing it. Of course, it will backfire when all the neighbourhoods are full of rich dickheads in tiny apartments worth fuck-all in reality, and the property prices start collapsing, but that's not my problem...

So - not a disaster in terms of the grow - some will be down in three weeks, and the MG X Flos in about six. All my current clones/mothers I can seed, and back them up that way. The two Thais are more of a problem - they'll need at least three months to flower, and I don't have that. So I'm going to have to take lots of clones and get them to other people to preserve them. I'll have a Thai male flowering asap so I can save the pollen, and get it onto the female clones, wherever they are! At least then I'll have some new viable (and pure) seeds.

The ONLY option that I can see that would let me finish everything off by then is to turn the growroom to 10/14 immediately. That would trigger the Thais, and bring in the MG X Flos earlier. Also it would finish off all the eight-week strains really quick. What does anyone think? Quickly...:)

Last edited:
G

Dam thats bad luck! seemed pretty good with where your grow was still maybe a chance to find somewhere even better :D As for changing the timer its up to you. I think you will find that the 8 week strains yield less but then i am not sure whether it will be a significant amount.
I wouldn't use this as my only option but you could probably keep some clones in stasis long enough for you do the move and then get them going again. I would still have back ups with people too but might help. I mean cut them and put them in the fridge before move then just put them in an ice box and move them with you.
Hope you find the new place your looking for and all goes smooth.
Good luck with the grow!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I'll take some clones now and see how I can manage space-wise - it's pretty tight right now!

I just switched the room to 10/14 - I don't think it will screw up the indica-dom plants too much - they're all getting very fat, and hitting six weeks tomorrow. The Flo F2 might end up losing some, but what can I do? Better to finish cleanly than not at all...:)

Also I have to plan a big seed run with my remaining mothers - everything has to be converted and put into storage.

G

You could flower on 6/6 like I've seen done here before. The yield might not be as super duper as expected, but the plants will finish in half the time. Maybe not the best option, but I at least wanted to suggest it.

Good luck finding a new place!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Good idea, but I need to try and get some seeds off these Thais before I wrap it up, and I think they may be a little underdeveloped on only six hours. Assuming I can get some pollen that is.

Although I do have plenty of Flo pollen from two generations now, so I could always use that if the worst comes to the worst - I can't see Landrace Thai X Purple Flo F2 being that bad really...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
The backup plan...

The backup plan...

I just started a bunch of seeds to grow outdoors this year - now I'm losing my place, the garden is out. A shame, as I planted a purple Flo#2 out there yesterday. I'm almost tempted to leave it, but they'd know it was me...:)

So - it will have to be guerilla growing, and me gently persuading a couple of folks to let me use their gardens... :sasmokin:

So I thought I'd try a few more of my crosses, as I think they could do OK outdoors:

10 Skunk#1 'B' (tutti-frutti pheno) X Flo#2 (green indica pheno)
5 G13 X Flo#1 (purple sativa pheno)
5 Mystery Strain X Flo#1
6 Deep Chunk

The reason I'm being so stingy with those is that I only have a few of each, so I'm playing safe. I have a lot more of the Skunk X Flos - the one I have in the growrrom is incredibly indica - far more so than either of the parents, though it smells much more like Flo than Skunk - interesting...:)

G

Yup...the seeds might not make it on such a short light schedule. If you just needed to harvest some bud to get you through, that would be another story. :smoke:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Time for another quick update, now I've got over the shock of knowing this will be my last grow here - no time for nostalgia either, as I've swtiched the growroom to 10/14 now. Predictably, the Thais have begun flowering, making it even more painful! However, these will get a good home, and will probably also end up as many clones - I'm onto that one.

Thais:

Everything else looks amazing, frankly, with the only downer being the stunted size of the (#1 X #1) Flo F2 - I picked a dud there. Not in terms of resin, etc, as that looks cool, but it's not suitable for taking on to F3. However, the (#1 X #2) pheno is amazing, and exactly what I wanted in terms of structure. Also, the resin finally smells exactly like the Nepalese Temple hash, as advertised! Only a hint of berry, but the #2 male was very small and indica-dom, so this is fine.
So I've pollenated a bud last night with my best Flo F2 male to take this one to F3. I'll re-do the (#1 X #1) selections again when I get a new place. BTW, the 'F' numbers refer to my incrosses from the seed strain - it's more like F6 in terms of the actual Flo generation that DJ worked on, so these will be getting pretty varied from now on...:)

Flo F2 (#1 X #2):

The other crosses look great - the Skunk X Flo is packing on the resin and getting some very large columnar buds indeed. The Cheese X Yumboldt also is extremely resinous, and super-sticky - smells like an extra-mature version of my Mystery Strain.

Cheese X Yumboldt and Skunk X Flo:

The two faster Black Domina X Maple Leaf Indica should be finished in two weeks, with the slower one maybe two weeks behind - all getting very resinous and beginning to smell a little stronger!

The Malawi Gold X Flo#2 phenos are still my proudest achievement so far, and look to fulfil the requirements - shorter flower time, larger calyxes, more (and much earlier!) resin coverage, and long sativa buds. Obviously I will need to grow a lot more of these to take them to F2, and using both batches too, but as a test grow with a new hybrid, I'm extremely pleased. These will also get tested abroad this summer in a few choice locations...and outdoors too! This cross has a name now, but I'll keep that to myself for now. Just to complicate matters, I also pollenated each of thse specimens with the above pollen, so these are now (Malawi Gold X Flo#2) X Flo F2 (#1 X #1)... :chin:

T.doT.Toker

Leave this place better then when i arrived
Veteran
Suck about the apartment bro. Atleast you got some notice to lessen the blow. Do i even have to mention how nice the plants are :) Take it easy bro

hanfiking

I'm with everyone else here good luck with what you got planned. i think you should keep going soil cause your plants love it. a couple of setbacks but otherwise a spectacular result right?!

G

Man...I hope you're writing all of that down, lol. You're gonna confuse yourself to death with all the crosses. Great show.....love the skunk x flo.

Latest posts

Latest posts