What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Current Grow - 10 Varieties

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Two lights are better than one...

Two lights are better than one...

Now that's better! :)

Installed 1200W of indoor sunshine, and made another re-arrangement of the plants. They looked a bit shocked for the first ten minutes! It's going to be a lot warmer in there now, so I'll go check in a few mins and see how they're doing - it's been about an hour.

Pretty even coverage or what? :)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
First Bud...

First Bud...

We're OK temps-wise - low 80's F right at the canopy, which is good enough for me. There's CO2 in there, so I don't think they should get too hot - it's almost freezing outside right now. Airflow is much better, and the humidity's bang on 50% 2 feet above the canopy - the extra heat is cooking away some of that steam!

And the best bit of news - the first clumps of pistils are appearing on the NL X BB, Mystery Strain, and suprisingly, both Flos - I thought they would be a few more days before they kicked in, but I'm not complaining.

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
looks great man, I will follow this thread. So you really noticed an effect from the HALO? I read the PDF, they make big claims.

- Ez

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Ezra - I don't like to be too enthusiastic about new stuff, especially products that make large claims. But this stuff seems legit - the branching rate is massively increased for plants of this size, and the speed of development seems to be keeping up with hydro. My soil grows over the last year have been good in terms of flavour and strength, but the yield and vigour has left something to be desired, certainly, compared to hydro - not any more. I don't really have any need to use hydro any more.

I know now that it's a combination of changing the nutrients, (including Rhizotonic, which I think is the main enhancement) improving the soil mix and increasing the veg time. The root structures must have developed much more than usual, given the growth.

The one downside I can see with HALO is the one they point out - namely timing. You really could end up with huge plants here, so based on what I've seen, in future I'd maybe give it two apps - one at the beginning of veg, with the plants at the size of my first post, and one at induction of flowering.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
All the plants except the three skunks and the Malawi Gold are now showing the first signs of budding - this is great news, as it proves my first experiment a success - namely that there's no need to switch to 12/12 to induce flowering if there's any indica in there - 14/10 is sufficient. They've had 7 days of 14/10, 2 days of 13/11 and 2 days of 12/12, so much faster than normal, and added several extra hours just where they were needed!

They've had their last dose of veg nutes tonight - I'll give them plain water for the next two waterings, and then move onto flower nutes.

Also gave the Malawi Gold and the Mystery Strain another neem drenching - hardly any spider-mite marks really, but I want to be absolutely sure before these things get any bigger - and I don't want to be spraying them in flower!

But overall - looking really good...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
You say you want some more? Well, here's some more...

You say you want some more? Well, here's some more...

Not much to report other than still growing extremely quickly, and most showing real groups of pistils on all the flower shoots. The tallest skunk at top left is now around 24" tall, and just as wide. If I get away with the same stretch as last time from seed (ie not much), I should be OK -a metre final height would be fine, but a metre diameter is big problems! They're a bit droopy, as I was just about to water them.

So next week I'll have to give them all a good trim of lower branches, and aim just to keep primary branches that are upward-facing - I really need vase-shapes to fit them all in evenly, and I think the yield will be high anyway, so I can afford to lose a few smaller branches early on.

I added a couple of pics of the NL X BB and Mystery Strain for comparison - these are oftem mistaken for each other, and they are similar-looking, but have some very important, though subtle differences - they'll become more apparent as the flower out. But tiny buds can just be seen appearing on the NL X BB...

So, still looking good... :chin:

NL X BB

Mystery Strain:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Flowering Update - Day 15...

Flowering Update - Day 15...

Here's a new set of photos as most of the plants begin budding - so far the only one now to totally resist triggering is the Malawi Gold, though that's not surprising - I expect that one to begin any day now, as it does flower under 12/12 - but not under 14/10, which is why it's late, compared to the others. So far the height is still OK - no stretching yet. By which I mean accelerated vertical growth, as opposed to 'normal' growth. I'm hoping most won't, but I can see the Malawi and the Jamaican are revving up for a spurt...:)

It's getting very hot in there towards the end of the day (night) - I was up very late last night, and so got to be in the growroom just before shutdown - it was in the high 80's F at one point, so I'm venting more regularly now. The plants have grown so fast that they're using up their water at an alarming rate on a warmer day, so I'll have to start increasing the quantities now to 1L per plant every other day. They get their first dose of Canna Flores shortly, along with the first dose of BioBoost, and increased Cannazym. In two weeks (four weeks flower), I'll give them the injection of PK 13/14 - by then I think we should see some serious buddage!

Incidentally, the G13 has an occasional leaf-folding issue, with the edges curling under as can be seen in the 4th and 5th pics - this only does this on the odd leaf, not the whole plant - anyone have any ideas? This is the closest to the entrance, and was wondering if it might just be a chilly draught causes it?

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Flowering Update - Day 19...

Flowering Update - Day 19...

All looking excellent again, now on the 19th day of flower. I should point out that's 19 days from switching to 14/10, not 12/12, as that was sufficient to trigger flowering in all strains but the Malawi Gold. So for those who consider flowering begins only at 12/12, we're on 8 days flower S.T. (Standard Time), and 19 days E.T. (Elevator Time!)...in which case, those buds are looking pretty good... :chin:

Anyway...I've given all the plants a severe pruning over the last few days - all the lower branches, any sideways-branches, and lots and lots of small branches that wouldn't make the canopy - basically I've removed about a third of each plant. Severe - but necessary. For one thing, the airflow is massively improved,as can be seen from the pics. Additionally, the remaining branches now have more light and much more space to develop - I'd rather sacrifice small buds and branches now than have to trim hundreds of them at harvest-time!

I'm feeding full-strength flowering nutes now, plus Bio-Boost, Cannazyme and small amounts of Rhizotonic when I give them plain water every other watering. The regime is so far paying off. No serious stretching yet - they're still growing, just not accelerating upwards, which is great. There's so much light I don't think they need to grow up that fast.

Looking really, really good up to now...

Skunk 'A':

Malawi Gold:

Flos:

G13:

Jamaican:

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Love all the different varieties, can be a challenge to run but is very rewarding come harvest time.
Peace

G

Hey elevator man, i see a very green future for you!
I have a mix of seeds thats got Jamaica x bluebberry in, so interested to see what your jam plant turns out like.
Good luck with the grow, any snow?

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
This Jamaican is really weird, but something special indeed.

Snow as in real snow? Yeah, but not too bad so far. It's very hilly where I live though, so you got to be careful! Ironically, I'm just about to deliver 20 clones and 10 (MG X Flo)/(Sk X Flo) seedlings to some friends of mine - they're chopping tonight, and I promised I'd help - as long as they cook food!
But I'm overloaded with vegetation - the best tips of the branches I hacked off the other night and the clones from my cloning tubs have all been potted, and as usual, I have way too many. And I have to walk in the snow! I don't drive, so I don't have much choice, but I always carry clones by foot anyway - much safer, and far less disastrous should the worst happen...

Wish me luck! :)

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Elevator Man - Waz up? :wave: Nice thread, good looking ladies you have. :yummy:

Just pulling up a seat for the show :lurk:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks - just crawled out for a breather - it's getting hot in there!

Mission accomplished on the clone delivery, BTW - only downside was my friend's grow was a little disappointing, but there you go. One weird thing was they had some Skunk#1 that they claimed were Seedsman, just like mine - but they looked nothing like mine - not even close. They looked pure Afghani to me, but they did have that nasty cheesy funky smell, so I dunno. Incredibly low yielder though, and small, separated buds - didn't look like Skunk to me.

As for the grow - I'm still amazed. The buds are popping out everywhere now, and they're starting to move. The Flos are stretching the most, but they always do - they'll stop dead in about a week and then start filling out. I'm constantly turning the plants to try and keep them in that perfect 'urn' shape - it's the only way I can maintain some sort of integrity and avoid wasted energy - suffice to say, I just lopped off another couple of branches of the Malawi - it was breaking the rules and growing sideways, so... :sasmokin:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I've just been standing in there for close to 40 minutes, high as a kite, just staring at them. I was kind of moving leaves around, real important stuff like that - mesmerising... :chin:

Time for bed, I think...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Flowering Update - Day 21 of 14/10, Day 13 of 12/12...

Flowering Update - Day 21 of 14/10, Day 13 of 12/12...

Not much to report except new buds everywhere on everything!

The Malawi Gold has finally put out more than two pistils at the top, but that one will be a while - however, I predict exceptional things for this plant, assuming no problems. All the others are steaming ahead in their own unique ways - it's fascinating to watch so many varieties flower at once, as they're all so different. Similar strains like the Mystery Strain and the NL X BB are still close in timing and structure, but they will move apart in style as they mature.

The two Flos are still leading the pack, and looking better every day - I think this time the original purple pheno is finally going to show me what she can do, as she looks incredibly healthy and vigorous. She's always dropped her shade leaves as she flowers, but I think now that was inappropriate nutrients - we'll see. If not, the buds should be much bigger than I've had before. The green one should explode this time - looks perfect so far.

The skunks are interesting - pheno 'B', the fast, fruity, more indica pheno is very erect, and the leaves tend to point upwards. The other two are much more droopy, have bigger leaves and are more sparsely branched, and look much more sativa now. Grown from seed and topped whilst still symmetrical, I never really got to see these the way they should look. The pheno in the photos is 'B'.

It's snowing outside again, which is great for me, as it means I can keep the lights close still without it getting too hot - just around 80F at the canopy, which is fine with lots of ventilation and CO2.

So here's the pics:

G13:

Mystery Strain:

NL#5 X BB:

Jamaican:

Flos:

Skunk#1:

Malawi Gold:

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Flowering Update - Day 24 of 14/10, Day 16 of 12/12...

Flowering Update - Day 24 of 14/10, Day 16 of 12/12...

Well, to my dismay, the temperature outside has risen a full 5-7 degrees Celsius in the last few days, causing some serious heat build-up in the growroom. It's not supposed to be goddam 7 degrees C at night in February! So - I had to add another fan to circulate air, and I'm now venting without a break, and it's actually perfect in there now - better than before. The plants have noticeably perked up, as they were starting to droop a bit in the heat.

I've still been lopping a few branches off here and there, to try and keep them in an 'urn' shape - I can afford to lose a few now whilst the buds are still small - the remaining ones will be much bigger. It hurts, but in the long run, it's worth it.

Not much else to say except...wow...:)

Left to right - Skunks A, B and C:

G13:

Flos:

Jamaican:

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I'm just smoking some Blueberry actually that someone brought round earlier - not bad at all. Not quite as strong as the 'Blue Meanie' I posted in the dried buds section a few days ago, but it's not bad at all. It's green, not purple, and doesn't really taste that much of blueberry - more at the sweet, hashy, fruity end - like a ripe NL. But strong.

I still haven't grown Blueberry - still on my list, but I'll have all my own crosses to wade through next, which could take years...:)

Latest posts

Latest posts