What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Contact! Seeds in soil for my first run

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I think the wiring will get done and I can get my tents up in a week or so. I found a bean in some Runtz, and got it to pop. That stroke of luck prompted me to go ahead and wet the seeds for my initial run in new tents. The little Runtz rabbit has gotten stretchy, so I added light to the nursery, 250 Umols now with all lights on.

Last edited:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good luck. Seedlings will stretch without quite strong light on them. Keep an eye on the humidity under the dome and try and allow some fresh air in... damp stagnant conditions are not good for germinating seeds or keeping seedlings, you might be better keeping them in one of the tents (if you can keep it warm enough) and having a fan circulating the air. obviously you don't want the soil to dry out whilst waiting for them to germinate... i try to check them twice a day.

VG

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The Runtz Rabbit was still stretching, so I ditched the little blurple light, and added a T5 to the LED grow light. Now have 250 umols to the cup tops, and the rabbit has started growing leafs instead of stem. I also have one of these on order, so I can add more blue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087NMFLRW
a
I put a couple wet tee shirts in there to add humidity, raising it over 10 points, which puts the VPD @ 1.2, perfect. There is a heat pad under the cups at night. I spray water on the shirts when I go in the closet, cause they dry quickly. Gives me something to do instead of spray the plants.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I turned off the lights for 4 hours last night, and some of the beans popped in the dark This may be too much light for the tender sprouts. The rabbit seems to love the light. I may have killed off the two Serious Kush, and have replacement beans soaking. The best result I have had for popping was the rabbit, on the window sill. Then moved under light to keep the lankyness down. The ones that popped last night are tiny!!

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Day 4, and there are 5 up and going. Serious Kush seeds are wet for try #2 on them. I think I had one started, and adding some soil to the cup probably killed it.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor

The earthworms arrived today. The 30+ gallons of soil I will use for this first run is as ready as I can make it. When I transplant into it, I will apply Rootwize to the rootball, to get the microbes going. I hope the media the worms came in didn't introduce evil bugs to the soil.

The next morning the worms are rejecting my new soil! WTF!! Too moist? Oh wait, they call these ones "Nightcrawlers".

Nope, it's just what they do. Have to leave the lid off to drive them underground. That green thing is a moisture meter with remote readout. It was going nuts, increasing the reading rapidly. I took it out, and a worm had crawled between the probes! That was where the moisture increase came from. The Blumat doesn't get affected the same way.

So after the worms have been in there a week, I have the soil in the 7 gallon bags, amendments added (except cover crop, can't find it!), ready to transplant into. I hand scooped the soil from the top of the tub into the bags, and added the wet dank soil from the bottom of the tub onto the top. The stuff on the bottom stinks, and I hope in a good way. The 5 best plants will go into the pots. Ph 6.8.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Plants got 4 hours of darkness last night, and seem happy so far.

Same thing the next night. The rabbit is a week old now. Nothing from the re-plant of the Kush, yet.

Oops, SK #1 popped:

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Day 8 and they seem to be doing OK. The rabbit is starting it's 3rd set of leafs. I have began putting tiny amounts of Craft Blend on the soil, and little squirts of water. They went on 16/6 last night, with a half hour without the grow light (just the blue leds and the T5) at "sunset and sunrise").

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Day nine and doing fine. The rabbit has well defined 3rd set of leafs, and I'm tempted to pinch them off.

But upon closer inspection, what's this? I lost a seed while going from the glass of water to soil. Guess it found itself. I will try to transplant the little fella.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The little pop-up my be the seed I'm missing. There was the sound of tap root breaking as I pulled it out, but a good bit was still left, so we'll see how it does after being transplanted. Poor guy came up right where I had put some craft blend and had wet it. I cannot remember which seed it was I lost, but I now have 2 fems of everything except a reg, and the rabbit.

Another surprise this afternoon, as the other replacement serious Kush finally popped. Better late than never I suppose.

And the rabbit has the third set of leafs fully ready to pluck. Do I do it now or wait another set? The rabbit is the experimental gunnie pig. Probably gonna herm anyways.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Day 10, the transplant hasn't died yet. These are the candidates for the flower tent (4 will fit), so far.

Runtz hermie
2x AK-47
Sundae Stallion
Gelato x Dosidos x OPG (reg)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Day 11. I put some microbes in water and sprayed the soil in the cups, hoping I can get into bigger pots and set-up the tents soon.

What are these white spots in this close up of the Runtz Rabbit? Edit: Not in this photo, but I had some white film. Probably residue from the supplements I am spraying on the soil. The film cleaned off with water. These spots are something else.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Day 15 (rabbit time), and the plants seems to have slowed the growth. The leafs have a sloppy wavy look also. My guess is a larger pot with fresh soil is needed. Darn tents aren't up yet cause of the electrician.

The group photo:

Is this dull, wavy leaf anything to worry over?

Fakir710

Hey dude! Girls are doing nice, they are happy, looks like we started a new run at the same time aprox, best luck and hope this does nice. The Runtz bagseed its going to be interesting for sure, bagseeds are so much fun always!

About the white spots, i think they are Cystolythic hair, a type of non glandular trichomes, some plants could produce some of this type of trichomes on the leafs during veg and even from the early start, nothing to worry about from what I see!

And the curled leaf, it looks normal in the early stages as new sets of leafs are getting bigger and the leaf shape is not perfectly defined since the plant did not get its sexual maturity, i wouldnt worry about it since you dont overwater plants!

Hope this works for you and feel free come by my journal if you are interested! :)

Regards!

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks for stopping by. What makes you think I am not over watering? That is why I have my soil in the bags now (so the soil dries), and want to transplant. Are leafs that are distorted like that a sign of over water? I have a heat pad running to try to dry out the bottoms of the cups.

They seem to have stopped growing, but that may be my impatience.

I have room for 4 plants in flower with my SIP set-up and individual scrog. I will probably start another round in a few weeks, when I have the tents up and running, after I flip the first run and have a tent at 12/12. Veg and flower the second run in the second tent, while the first is finishing.

I think I have enough dope here to last me if the first run is a disaster.

Cuddles

Day 15 (rabbit time), and the plants seems to have slowed the growth. The leafs have a sloppy wavy look also. My guess is a larger pot with fresh soil is needed. Darn tents aren't up yet cause of the electrician.

The group photo: https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=85454&pictureid=2120248View Image

Is this dull, wavy leaf anything to worry over?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=85454&pictureid=2120249View Image
damn, other peoples seedling always look better than mine , bollocks. Good luck with your bagseed and the new tent fly.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Thanks, but be patient Ms. Cuddles, I'll find a way to screw this up.

The Serious AK-47, 2 each, is kicking ass on the competition. Two on the left, rabbit on the far right.

I am not considering the rabbit to be part of the class, because it is several days ahead, and it's 4th set of leaves are coming out.

Fakir710

Thanks for stopping by. What makes you think I am not over watering?

Hey, salutos siniore, u welcome. This is how an overwatered young plant looks like, so no worries.

Are leafs that are distorted like that a sign of over water?

Not that i know, im running 40 sprouts now, some looks like it,

They seem to have stopped growing, but that may be my impatience.

If the plants look fine, 4 - 5 nodes in cups and stop growing then maybe they are asking for a transplant. :D Give them new shoes and they will explode again in a couple weeks.

I have room for 4 plants in flower with my SIP set-up and individual scrog.

What does SIP stands for?

Regards amigo.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
SIP means something, but it is a wicking water system designed to have the soil draw the water up to the roots from below. I am going to put aside what I have, and make a perlite wick bed that I can set a 7 gallon bag on, and will support a portable 2 x 2 individual scrog. With the wick bed, it looks like all you have to do is maintain a certain water level in the perlite bed the bag sits on, preferably a few inches down below the surface. Water seeks it's own level, so hook a 1/2" tube to a water height control box with a constant water height, and level them off. Repeat as needed by teeing in for additional plants. No runoff, no leaching, perfect for living soil I think. It can be made automatic, so watering should be almost foolproof, which is what I need.

There is a thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=378414