What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Greenbeans

PCBuds

I'm reconsidering the idea of covering the bed in reflectix. I think I want the top to stay dry. Covering it will have the opposite effect.

I'm just guessing but, what about covering the beds with fine mesh netting instead ?
Something like mosquito netting ?

Caio

That 5000k (i think) 98 cri is GORGEUS. These are Bridgelux THRIVE leds, the same i wanna test next time!!!!

Greenheart

Veteran
@PCbuds

Great suggestion! I thought about landscape fabric too. If I think keeping it moist or top watering is needed I will revisit this idea. For now I want to try a thick layer of dry castings.

@Caio

Supportive as always. Thanks for the assurance. They are the 5000k. I've ordered the 3000k as well. After reading Ibchillin's sticky it looks like they are both pretty much sweet spot for veg 5000k and flower 3000k. We'll see how plants respond to them.

I'm thinking 2 each in the 16" cabs and 8 for the 36" cab. I might even add some to the bloom room at some point after seeing them on a small scale. Hopefully I can get the plants right up into them and not see negative effects.

I'll update in a couple of days but so far the plants are making a recovery. There is some regreening of the leaves. Atm I'm doing a lot of foliar feeding.

I've been wetting the leaves with a light Iron+ solution. Then dusting them with worm castings on the wet leaves. I've also taken a page out of the Sampas book and reduced the lighting by one bulb for a couple days. I'm sure once they get a solid root base in those 2 gallon pots things will be much better.

Also now that I've read another thread posting Dank Franks soil I'm feeling better about my mix. It just needs some time to settle and we have a few months. It is not near as rich. By then the worms should have worked it good too. The bin should also be supplying plenty of fresh nutrients daily. It is starting to thrive. I'll post some pics when I have time.

Greenheart

Veteran
Pic day 42.

We are off to a rough start but tenaciously hanging in there like weeds. :)

a couple are really starting to turn around. 4 are still in rough shape. I know the castings all over the leaf looks like shit because it is but it seems to be helping. Along with new root growth and foliar feeds.

picture.php

Greenheart

Veteran
I think the microgreens mix was too light. Foliar feeding was helping but creating overwatering issues. The soil drench didn't seem to fix the issue. I've decided to transplant into smaller peat pots with some ocean forest.

I've dumped the microgreens into the bed and mixed it all up. Worms weren't so happy about it. It did give me a chance to see how the bin was settling. Most of the worms were down low in the nutrient layer and along the sides of the bin.

I put the new pots into the freshly mixed bin. Then I made up a few gallons of water mixed with molasses and agave nectar and saturated the bin with a garden sprayer. It was a bit drier than I had expected. I may end up watering the bin once a month.

I started building the veg cab last week. I halted the project shortly after getting the framework up. I've decided on going with a wire shelving unit on wheels. It has adjustable height in 1" increments and was $80. This will allow me to move the entire cab out of the room if desired. The 12 bulbs and fixtures were $70. I'll be using about another $50 worth of reflectix and tape so that puts the build about $200 for the veg room.

Something I've started to consider is perhaps going micro and using the bed to veg a mum for about 6 months before I bloom her. With luck I could even reveg her. Not sure how many times I could push it but it might be fun trying to find out.

Greenheart

Veteran
Q

Q

Well I might have killed a few of them. The trifoliate among them. The other six are showing some improvement and greening of new growth. I popped 4 more beans just in case. If they all make it I will still be under my limit on the numbers. I expect some males too.

I got a bit excited earlier and yes the pic was a stipule. Still no sexing yet.

The show marches onward. It's a bit of a bummer if I lose them. My fault. They aren't gone yet so we will see what happens. The trifoliate seems to have the best chance of the three. I have the front bulb lit and the other 2 off with the the sicker plants in the lower light area.

The soil seem to be doing well and coming to life. It is nice and spongy with a good earthy smell. The worms are inhabiting the composter and there is not much smell emitting from it. Right now it has a faint banana smell. Worms on the surface are stretched out and relaxed. Often shrinking back into hiding when light hits them.

picture.php

Caio

This next one I'm confused about. 4 of the 9 plants are showing some of it. Only 1 is showing it in such concentration. At first glance it looked like trichome coverage. Then again it could just be salts from the recent foliar feeding. Anyone know?

View Image

YES. These are trichomes (the hair where the resin come out!) she will become ultra resinous.

Mattbho

I just read your thread , cool idea . I was thinking of recommending beneficial mites to you. When possible you want get them established before spring pests . I see miles showed up . Isn't that crazy these things just show up. Fucking fungus gnats what they live 2 weeks and reproduce 1000x or something crazy

Greenheart

Veteran
Thanks for your interest Mattbho. I agree on the bene-mites. I'll wait another month or two. I'm in the PNW so wouldn't want them all freezing. I was lucky to get some worms in a 2 week warm spell we had last month.

The worms are starting to really chow down. I'm able to pick up well over a dozen when I grab a hand full of the bucket compost. So far it is banana, kale, celery, and carrots in the bin. I wait at least a week before adding new material. I've been adding little amounts of it. I've also been layering some of the dry topsoil into the bin when I add fresh material.

At this point the composter is loaded almost to the top without the cooking that was going on. There is a mix of Red Wigglers, Euros, and now Canadians. I noticed the Canadian nightcrawlers left the composter and were hanging out down low in the main bin when I mixed it with the microgreens.

I've lost 2 of the 3 critical condition plants including the trifoliate. Sorry. What I've learned is my light is still too close. I've moved it to 40". It is directly over the bin area. The plants centered around the bin are receiving 4100 lux, 75 ppfd, & 5 DLI. I've paid the $5 to unlock full spectrum LED on the Korona app. It appears to read about the same as the free "sunlight" setting if I switch between them. Directly over the bin it reads 5100 lux.

I've taken the bottoms off the peat pots and put a mash of kale & banana below them.
I am hoping this will encourage some worm activities in the pots. I fell pretty confident the soil is mature enough to utilize at this point. I'm using the peat pots to help contain a root ball. As of yet I do not know what plants are male or female. When I do then it will be time to plant them in ideal locations.

I'm also reconsidering the design of the room. With the Scrubber directly above the doorway and me constantly leaning in to check things I might want to put the bin directly in front of the doorway and use whatever is past that for plants. This will also work better once I find the "mom". Especially if I decide to fill the room with one large plant before flipping it to 12/12.

Before I put them in permanent positions I need to make that decision. There is still plenty of time. I'm at least getting closer to dialed in and getting my veg on!

picture.php
[/IMG]

PCBuds

... I noticed the Canadian nightcrawlers left the composter and were hanging out down low in the main bin when I mixed it with the microgreens.

Apparently nightcrawlers like to dig deep. I've found mine at the bottom of my cooler where they were submerged. They can stay submerged for over two weeks and absorb oxygen through their skin.
They used to think that worms came to the surface after a rain because they were drowning. They now think that they come to the surface to migrate.

PCBuds

I notice that you haven't posted in a while, so I assume that things took a turn for the worse.

Here's my take on it,...
(based on nothing but speculation and my own experience...)

I think that it's a bad idea to have your composter built into your grow area.

I think you should compost separately and put the finished compost into your grow, when it's done.

Composting materials make a lot of nasty stuff.
Seedlings are sensitive.

They say that "the grass is always greener over the septic tank", but I'm sure it would die if it was right in the septic tank...

PCBuds

The bin itself is doing better. I now have some Hypoaspis Miles running around.

picture.php

I just bought a butt load of those!!@

They have a new name now...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210419-004131_Amazon Shopping.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	17835825

Stratiolaelaps scimitus - predatory soil mites to control fungus gnats, thrips pupae, root weevils, springtails, and more. Formerly known as Hypoaspis miles, Stratiolaelaps scimitus has long been the cornerstone for biocontrol programs of professional greenhouse growers --

I bought enough for 200-500sqft.

My planter is less than 1sqft...

It's really quite deep though. Lol

Greenheart

Veteran
I notice that you haven't posted in a while, so I assume that things took a turn for the worse.
Starting to look pretty green in there. Composter is thriving. Now that the soil has matured and is coming to life I couldn't be happier.

So far I'm watering with 3 gallons every 4 days. I do not disagree composting can be a risky process. Keep in mind I'm not just composting but Vermicomposting. I'm also using amendments for food and not fresh scraps now that the bed is "living" at this point. Soon it will be producing it's own plant scrap and there will be no worry of gnats or other issues from outside vegetation.

Sorry I kind of bailed on this. I really wanted to give the new forums a shot. I had issues last time I went to upload pics, was depressed over my signature no longer being allowed, and to be honest it felt like the vibe has changed as well. It's not quite the same as it was a decade ago.

You, sampas, and caio really made me feel a bit of the old vibe. There didn't seem to be much interest in the thread aside from that. Keep growin' on. Have faith I'll be doing the same and doing it well. I know the start looked rough. I was impatient and should have bought premix or waited to sprout my beans. I did well enough in the past. I have no doubt the beans will remind me of what I was working on before I went on hiatus.

BTW that male is way too awesome to waste. I'm going to chuck some pollen. He was the only plant that didn't seem to have any real issues. He has plenty of smell and that distinct DJS skin that kind of reminds you of an apple tree with it's softness. The female isn't showing the same BB dominance but I have no doubt I'll find a keeper bride someday.

Grow on my friends. :blowbubbles:

Greenheart

Veteran

Attachments

• photo2046213.jpg
    photo2046213.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 24
  • attach17861310.jpg
    attach17861310.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 29
  • photo2046214.jpg
    photo2046214.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 23
  • photo2046215.jpg
    photo2046215.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 26
  • attach17861307.jpg
    attach17861307.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 26
  • photo2046217.jpg
    photo2046217.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

PCBuds

That's great news !!

I struggled with the changes to forum as well.
I barely knew how to work the old one. Lol

I've had a lot of help figuring out how to grow, with people from all over the world.
I think that's pretty cool.

Lucky, I don't take it too seriously and don't really mind making mistakes.
Sometimes I make them on purpose just for fun. Lol

PCBuds

I notice that you've got purple stems too.

I don't know if that's a strain thing for you or not, but I don't mind my purple stems.

It might be a stress response but it doesn't seem to have any negative effects that I've noticed.

I like the purple color too. I think it looks cool. Lol

Greenheart

Veteran
Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=16295489.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.2 KB ID:	17862480

I dunno is there any purple genetics in the DJS Blueberry or LA confidential lines? It's got to be my shitty soil...:wtf:

ftr I love me some Grandaddy purps, Dapurps, and purple erkel too! Sometimes cold and nutrients do play a big role in purpling. I really don't think this is the case. I mentioned that when 3 of them popped showing the purple stems. If you look at the female pic growing right next to him you will notice it has much less purple showing. In my case I do believe it is genetics but I do still have some soil issues so I can't completely discount it. I think my issues are Ca and Mg though. That is why I really popped in here. I needed to check the Fresh guide in the infirmary since this really is the best site on the net for all things cannabis.

Last edited:

PCBuds

The purpling on my plants was due to the lights.
It's like sunburn.
Where the branches were shaded, they didn't turn purple.
Apparently it's quite common with LED lightning.

I was told that increasing Calcium and Magnesium could help, but I don't see it as a problem.
I look at it as just a reaction to bright lights, and I do think it looks pretty cool. Lol

You've got some pretty intense light going on, so that may be what's causing it for you ?

I did have an outdoor plant that turned purple from the cold, but it affected the leaves as well.

My closet plants don't get purple leaves.

Greenheart

Veteran
I've seen green, purple, and a grayish blue all come out of the same room at the same times. Considering I'm working with the DJS, L.A.Con., and White Widow genetics on these beans I do expect a lot of mixture.

The Ca/Mg I was reefering to is in the tips of the new growth atm. He hasn't shown any issues yet just the female. I gave them a Calmag booster feed and called it good.

Here is another one from the "old" days. I've really been working on the purple lines. I want something with the blueberry flavor and the LA/widow yield/sugar coating. Preferably a quicker blooming indica heavy strain. Wouldn't mind a bit of creeper in that while I'm pipe dreaming. :p

fetch?photoid=15889384.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts