What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First time grower with SILS on micro grow

Sampas92

Just newbin
So today i turned off one of the 4 9w and just got 3 running because i notice she was a little bit pale, she looks healthier now.
I gave it about 200ml of water..
Lets see the next days

aliceklar

So today i turned off one of the 4 9w and just got 3 running because i notice she was a little bit pale, she looks healthier now.
I gave it about 200ml of water..
Lets see the next days

I'd beware of making too many changes and expecting quick results - when you make a change to the environment (to light, or nutrients for example) it can take days for anything visible to register in the plant. Changes can also stress the plants. Generally you want to give them as much light as you can (without burning them). Its very tempting to keep changing things with the environment, but often better just to watch and wait... difficult though, I know!:watchplant:

Great grow diary, by the way - nice detailed record. This will be really useful to you when you plan your next grow - so you can look back and see what worked well and what you might do differently.
good.gif

PCBuds

Welcome i hope i can make this shitty diary a great one in the end..sure with your help and others i will do it.:good:

Don't do what I did. My thread is a scattered mess.
I guess it could serve as an example of what not to do. Lol

You were a lot more educated, equipped, and organized right from the start so your learning curve will be a lot steeper than mine was.

Along with what aliceklar said, I've noticed that purple stems take a lot longer to appear than the pale leaves that result from too much light.

Sampas92

Just newbin
Thanks guys
aliceklar
i do know that too many changes are bad a sometimes it take days to show (by what i've read through the years) but believe it or not, i was seeing a pale collour in the middle of the first pair of leaves, i dont know the name and the second pair was comming really pale too, not the kind of pale new growth has before getting a more natural green of them so i turned off one of the lighs, in the corner by the way, the lux on my app droped from 10k to 7.5k but the palish between yesterday disapeared, and the second pair is more like i see in pictures colour wise and the fist pair too, and i did see grothw on the second pair, no stretch whatsoever.
Thanks for the compliment on the diary and for sure its gonna be handy in the next grow

pcbuds
Yes pcbuds but i did what you did, but in a softer way and now, i know that for my next seedling to get a good start will need 3 9w lights, so i learned something.
Btw pcbuds, i was thinking when in the other day you said to me that you didnt want, or interested in the cost of having the better environment you can for them and run them on the cold side, and remember you said you get 0.75 or 0.85 gr/w..maybe investing in the environment is where your gr/w missing is?

Some pictures guys
Remember she sprouted on day 23 and in the first 3 4 day she had low light with little stretch so i didnt notice
Yesterday day 29, you dont notice the palish green on the picture but i was there, sorry for the blurry, after this picture turn off the 4th light and on the end of the light cycle i gave her 200ml ph6-7
picture.php

Today day30 it looks like this, again i dont notice the difference in the pictures about the colour but in naked eye, is noticeable, i again watered her but just with the spray bottle just to keep the soil kinda moist on top
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sorry for the dirt on the top, promptly removed
Dont know why the first pair is so curled, maybe it didnt recovered from being so many days stalled..
7 days old, i think she's really late in her stage compared to others i think, well, crash and learn, she didnt die, so she getting her life untill the end, or untill i kill her by mistake kkkk, but was tempted at killing her and seed another one.
I think im right when i say that there is no ph problems by now?im not looking for problems on her but getting a term of comparision for future grows
Thanks for the support guys:good:

PCBuds

Today day30 it looks like this, again i dont notice the difference in the pictures about the colour but in naked eye, is noticeable, ...

I know what you mean, I've taken photos of my plants with the lights on and off or turned down, camera flash on or off, daylight as backlighting, and I even put an old school CFL in a floor lamp trying to get a picture that shows what I see.
Nothing seems to have worked. Lol

Dont know why the first pair is so curled, maybe it didnt recovered from being so many days stalled..
7 days old, i think she's really late in her stage compared to others i think, ...

Here's my take on it. (remember, I make stuff up. Lol).

Your plant was getting used to a 5 Watt bulb from the start, so she put all of her resources into photosynthesis to make the most of the available light.
She was slow but she was a deep green color, which to me means lots of chlorophyll to grab every photon she could.

Then you went to 45 Watts and her system was overwhelmed with the abundance of light and her chemistry went way out of whack.
She stopped making chlorophyll and pulled her resources out of the leaves and maybe into root growth to help support herself with the new amount of light.
She curled down in an attempt to get out of the direct sunlight to help restore balance.

She is now stabilizing herself in her new environment and I personally think that your lighting right now is perfect.

Try to ignore the first set of leaves now.
What's done is done and those two leaves may not recover and are no longer a good indicator of how the plant is doing.
She may even shed them now?

Focus on the second pair of leaves.
They will be your best pair to monitor.
I don't think that they are big enough yet to have had any lasting issues from here on in.

Keep an eye on all new growth as they are the best indicator of overall health.

All the older growth is just a record of what was.

well, crash and learn, she didnt die, so she getting her life untill the end, or untill i kill her by mistake kkkk, but was tempted at killing her and seed another one.

I think she's fine!
I've brutalized the hell out of every plant I've ever grown.
The only thing that I've really noticed, is that my plant ends up taking longer to finish.

As far as I see it, she's not going to die but the end may be a bit further off.
She's just a baby she'll get over it quickly. They can be pretty tough.

I've over illuminated all my plants on purpose.

It's just another form of LST.
I call it Light Stress Training. Lol

You just toughened her up!!

PCBuds

pcbuds
Btw pcbuds, i was thinking when in the other day you said to me that you didnt want, or interested in the cost of having the better environment you can for them and run them on the cold side, and remember you said you get 0.75 or 0.85 gr/w..maybe investing in the environment is where your gr/w missing is?

I took your advice (as well as other's advice, ) and plugged in my heater.

I unplugged my "exhaust" fan which saves me 60 Watts and will help me keep the heat in the closet.

I did a smoke test on the closet and I still have airflow out of the top.

I have a bucket of wine bubbling off CO2 so I should be OK with the CO2 levels.
(but I'm not sure. My CO2 meter is a piece of crap. Lol)

My ladybug is still hanging around.
I think that's good luck?

(I wonder if she's hungry? Maybe I should bring in some spider mites for her to feed on? Lol)

I also turned down my furnace to 65° which will save me on energy costs, and both I and my cat are more comfortable in cooler temperatures.

I also have an "ultrasonic humidifier" that I will consider plugging in, but I don't want to invite any mold.

I dunno?

PS... Feel free to post any suggestions or observations you have on my thread.

You've done all the homework that I never did, and I want to copy your notes. Lol

PCBuds

My temps have risen to 26°C.

I'm going to have to keep a close eye on that for the next few hours and days.
My problems always seem to happen right after I change something.

My underlying goal is to have a failsafe grow, where if something goes wrong, I don't kill my plant or burn down my fricken house. Lol

PCBuds

pcbuds
Yes pcbuds but i did what you did, but in a softer way and now, i know that for my next seedling to get a good start will need 3 9w lights, so i learned something.

For some reference, this is what I did with my last seedlings.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=360946&page=234

This is what they looked like.
Really dark purple stems, but reasonably healthy-looking leaves.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=360946&page=235

I killed one of them but mostly to make room on my window sill.

This is them now.

PCBuds

You can see the difference in green color between the cotyledons and leaves.

My plants were really pale.

I just went with it figuring that she would get used to it.

Sampas92

Just newbin
I decided to germinate another seed and put it in the same pot but on the other side, the strongest will survive kkkk
Thank you for the support but since you flowering i guess you shouldnt turn off your exctraction..
Im been folowing your thread by quite some time now, its a great one for sure:good:
In the future i pretend to get some strips or a quantum board too, a lot of controll and choices too..
Now im just chiling seeing what she is gonna do

Thanks for the support :good:

PCBuds

I decided to germinate another seed and put it in the same pot but on the other side, the strongest will survive kkkk

As long as you have lots of seeds, but f-e is probably sending you more now because you have 50 posts.
Good work.

I have a hard time killing a plant when it costs me $10-$15 a seed.

I just bought 3 seeds for $69 CAD, and they all croaked.
That sucks, but ReikoX saved my ass and sent me some awesome seeds.

Thank you for the support but since you flowering i guess you shouldnt turn off your exctraction..

I think my girl is fine.
She's probably better off with more heat and she is still passively breathing.
(I did another smoke test)...

Im been folowing your thread by quite some time now, its a great one for sure:good:

Thanks.
But I hope I didn't lead anyone off the cliff.

I've done a lot of dumb shit. Lol

I'm lucky to be in a country and province where I'm allowed to grow 4 plants for recreational purposes.

It's been fun, and I now have more weed than I can smoke or eat.

In the future i pretend to get some strips or a quantum board too, a lot of controll and choices too..

Be careful about what you buy.

If the ad says anything about "growing" for their equipment, you're bound to pay 2-10 times more money.

A photon is a photon in my books.
Sure there are different frequencies and colors and such but I think if you give her lots of photons of any color, she'll make use of it.

Now im just chiling seeing what she is gonna do

Thanks for the support :good:

Cheers dude!! :plant grow:

(your plant is going to be fine.)

Sampas92

Just newbin
As long as you have lots of seeds, but f-e is probably sending you more now because you have 50 posts.
Good work.

I have a hard time killing a plant when it costs me $10-$15 a seed.

I just bought 3 seeds for $69 CAD, and they all croaked.
That sucks, but ReikoX saved my ass and sent me some awesome seeds.

I think my girl is fine.
She's probably better off with more heat and she is still passively breathing.
(I did another smoke test)...

Thanks.
But I hope I didn't lead anyone off the cliff.

I've done a lot of dumb shit. Lol

I'm lucky to be in a country and province where I'm allowed to grow 4 plants for recreational purposes.

It's been fun, and I now have more weed than I can smoke or eat.

If the ad says anything about "growing" for their equipment, you're bound to pay 2-10 times more money.

A photon is a photon in my books.
Sure there are different frequencies and colors and such but I think if you give her lots of photons of any color, she'll make use of it.

Cheers dude!! :plant grow:

(your plant is going to be fine.)

This advanced seeds auto skittles was 15 euros for 4 of them, i dont like spending money away and i dont have a lot to spend, and i dont know if f-e could help me..lets see.
So on this beautifful sunny day im late november (kind of odd)
picture.php

She is loonking like this, i notice development on the second pair of leaves, she didnt strech almost anything i allways try to keep the upper part of the soil a little bit moist
picture.php

Thanks guys

Sampas92

Just newbin

In the future when i get the money all saved up i will be buying from these guys https://www.led-tech.de/en..in europe there are not of cheap options, diy even less and from digikey the price will sky rocket because of custoums..
Shit i want to do alot of shit without the mean$ to it :bump:

PCBuds

I still have lots of passive flow through the closet.
I suppose my biggest problem might be mold at some point?
I'll keep an eye on it.

Sampas92

Just newbin
I still have lots of passive flow through the closet.
I suppose my biggest problem might be mold at some point?
I'll keep an eye on it.

From what i read mold can appear with high humidty and low flow of air, i supose if you got no exctrat fan on but one or too circulation fans inside the grow keeping the humidity in check your gonna be fine but trully, you should ask to one of the experienced guys

Sampas92

Just newbin
I put the new seed in the soil on the opposite side of the other..
Today beimg the sunny day that it was my humidity was a little bit low today, always in a average of 60 to 65% but temps were in check.

Sampas92

Just newbin
Update

Update

So 9 days since she sprouted
Keep in mind the first 4 days she was stalled in growth by low light levels with little to no stretch searching light
The soil may have been a little bit to moist,maybe.
She just get proper light levels 4/5 days ago
She's delayed, but only delayed?
picture.php

The growth is very noticeable since she get the right light levels, but i dont know if she had a propper development and healthy growth day by day,from that moment, since i dont have any means of comparision by lacking of experience unless online pictures.
What you guys think?
The last too seedlings that i fucked up showed a lot more vigour since the sprout moment compared to this one. Lot more heigth and the first leaves where open like this ones now since day 1, but with 4 philips 13w 1521 lumens cap off at 30cm distance and fried them, amoung other things.
picture.php

Seing this one taken today the streching is very little compared with the other picture just like this one in earlier post in this thread.
Dont know, the water of bottled water, ph from 6.3 to 6.8, i verify always even for the humifier and the spray bottle.
The soil is not too wet or too dry.
The temps and humidity is on point lights on and off..
Maybe this one was just a little weak?dunno

Even for just 4 days of proper light it should be a bit bigger right?

PCBuds

Perhaps, since she is getting better light, she is putting her resources into root growth?

She may not need to be taller with bigger leaves to get the photosynthesis she needs at the moment?

Apparently, autoflowers start to take off once their roots hit the bottom of their container.

Sampas92

Just newbin
Perhaps, since she is getting better light, she is putting her resources into root growth?

She may not need to be taller with bigger leaves to get the photosynthesis she needs at the moment?

Apparently, autoflowers start to take off once their roots hit the bottom of their container.

Yeah but that is when they have a tall container, mine is short 10cm +/-.

Now when is about one hour to lights off i went there to moisten the soil spraying like i always do and i see the leaves like this, perked up
picture.php

Im happy:jump: from what i read online is a good sign of healthy growth, serching for the light but in a good way, but i always do notice that the leaves are a little bit more like in this position towards the end of the light cycle, since they are autos, maybe dli?dunno i cant calculate that unfortanly but i would like to but i dont wanna think about it either, i dont want to overcomplicate things like usual

Some pictures before going to bed
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Goodnight guys, or goodmorning, i dont know if its day or night where you are