What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basement Buds in Bed

G

Hey All! Just getting setup here, please pardon our construction. It's been a long while since I've been able to grow, but the time is drawing near.

We recently bought a house with a (mostly) finished basement, and I'm going to be utilizing some of the unfinished space in the utility room (approx. 12' x 20') to build a roughly 6' x 9' room containing a 6' x 6' space for veg/flower and a 3' x 6' space for storage, possibly cloning, drying, etc...

I've always been a soil grower, going to keep that going here. Using KIS Organics Water-Only soil this time, something new for me. Had a cubic yard shipped and used all but about 1 cubic foot of it in my 4'x4'x18" bed. It's propped up on a metal hydroponics stand, which is a little larger than the bed, flipped upside down (I intentionally bought the stand for this purpose). I plan to get a big drain pan underneath and pipe any runoff into the floor drain outside the room.

For lights, I'll be using a self-built rig from Pacific Light Concepts using their "Photo Boost Strips" (https://www.pacificlightconcepts.com/product/photo-boost-strip-light-engine/), each containing 96 Samsung 301B white lights and 4 CREE XP-G3 Photo Red. It is a spine-type setup with a center aluminum shaft, and 8 perpendicular shafts making it look like a spider. A total of 16 of the photo boost strips is expected to make about 600-660w at the wall. Haven't put it together just yet, but will report back once it's complete.

I dropped in a water line for a Tropf-Blumat irrigation system using their Maxi carrots (the longer ones) and Distribution Drippers for better coverage.

Will be using a 6" inline fan (not purchased yet) with carbon filter. Also considering installing a min-split HVAC system, but will run some tests first once the room is all setup. It's really cold down here in the middle of Summer, so not sure if I'll really need it or not yet.

For genetics, I've been collecting a lot of CSI Humboldt gear from Nspecta, mostly Bubba and Chem91 related hybrids with a few other freebies thrown in there. Also have an older pack of Bubba S1 from VerdantGreen; can't even remember when I bought them...2015? 2016? IDK...

Once the room is all setup and ready to go, my first run will be:
VerdantGreen - Bubba S1
CSI - Bubba S1
CSI - Mendocino Purple Kush (MPK)
CSI - Three Queens
CSI - Sugar Puffs

Other genetics in the stable for future runs are:
CSI - Double Take - (OG Kush* x Bubba Kush)
CSI - Double Trouble - (Fire OG Kush x Bubba Kush)
CSI - Great White Bubba - (Great White Shark x Bubba Kush)
CSI - Bubba's Coronary Kush - (Heart Attack Kush x Bubba Kush)
CSI - Good Ol' Days - (Panama Red x Bubba Kush)
CSI - Chemdog '91 S1
CSI - Chemdog '91 x Triangle Kush
CSI - Gator Bait
CSI - Dead Zone - (Patient Zero x Chemdog '91)
CSI - Chemdog '91 x Girl Scout Cookies
CSI - Girls Best Friend - (Girl Scout Cookies x Chemdog '91)
CSI - Cousin Stanky - (DJ Short Flo x Chemdog '91)
Pirates of the Emerald Triangle - Pine Tar Kush IBL
Pirates of the Emerald Triangle - Pakistani Chitral Kush IBL
Reservoir - Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze (SSSDH)
Dave Van Pot - God Bud

I have lots more work to do in setting the room up, and lots more info to document/share, but this is a start at least... Until next time!

Peace
DM

G

Thanks for stopping by Reiko, blaze...

Started assembling the spine for the light today. Will probably clean up the heat sinks and apply the thermal tape tonight, maybe even get the thing fired up?!? We'll see.

G

So I got as far as aligning and securing the heat sinks to the spine, and attaching the thermal tape to the back of all 16 LED strips. That, ladies and gentlemen, is one thousand six hundred diodes just dying to brighten up this space! I'll affix the LED strips to the heat sinks tomorrow and hopefully get this beast wired and fired. Until then, be easy.

Peace
DM

G

Made some progress on the light, still need to secure the 2 drivers to the spine and hook up the dimmer, but I got it all wired up otherwise. Just a few seconds of a test of half the lights was enough to put a smile on my face.

Peace
DM

G

Hey Green81, thanks for stopping by!

What's up Ganoderma? In the past, I've always run MH/HPS, but switching to LEDs just makes sense for me for many reasons. I wanted to make sure I was getting something decent, and these Photo Boost strips looked to be pretty legit on paper. Time will tell...

I'm hoping to get seeds in dirt by September 1. The room doesn't necessarily have to be completed by then, but I'd like to have the ceiling and walls up and insulated at least. I'll be adding a pocket door between the 3x6 space and the 6x6 grow space to help save space. I'll add trim pieces around the door frame overlapping the edge by a couple of inches to prevent light leaks, while also painting the backside of the trim pieces matte black.

I'm in the process of setting up a vermicompost bin for some African Night Crawlers. Should hopefully be able to order the worms in another week or so once I'm ready...

Can anyone with experience using the Tropf-Blumat irrigation system tell me if/for how long you typically hand water seeds/seedlings until letting the system take over? I'm planning to use the paper towel germination method and put the seeds straight into the flower bed where they'll grow.

Peace
DM

G

Finished wiring up the dimmer on the lights and "securing" the drivers to the spine. The screws that came with my order, though not intended for this purpose, are a little too big to fit through the mount points on the driver's. I'll order new ones that fit, along with a T-connector to change this from a two power cord setup to a single power cord. I need a few other things, like end caps/bolts to prevent the hangers from sliding off, retractable cords for hanging (note the heavy duty chains currently holding it up in the pic below). Maybe more, probably...

Peace
DM

Last edited:

packerfan79

Veteran
Hey All! Just getting setup here, please pardon our construction. It's been a long while since I've been able to grow, but the time is drawing near.

We recently bought a house with a (mostly) finished basement, and I'm going to be utilizing some of the unfinished space in the utility room (approx. 12' x 20') to build a roughly 6' x 9' room containing a 6' x 6' space for veg/flower and a 3' x 6' space for storage, possibly cloning, drying, etc...

I've always been a soil grower, going to keep that going here. Using KIS Organics Water-Only soil this time, something new for me. Had a cubic yard shipped and used all but about 1 cubic foot of it in my 4'x4'x18" bed. It's propped up on a metal hydroponics stand, which is a little larger than the bed, flipped upside down (I intentionally bought the stand for this purpose). I plan to get a big drain pan underneath and pipe any runoff into the floor drain outside the room.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84015&pictureid=2064050&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

For lights, I'll be using a self-built rig from Pacific Light Concepts using their "Photo Boost Strips" (https://www.pacificlightconcepts.com/product/photo-boost-strip-light-engine/), each containing 96 Samsung 301B white lights and 4 CREE XP-G3 Photo Red. It is a spine-type setup with a center aluminum shaft, and 8 perpendicular shafts making it look like a spider. A total of 16 of the photo boost strips is expected to make about 600-660w at the wall. Haven't put it together just yet, but will report back once it's complete.

I dropped in a water line for a Tropf-Blumat irrigation system using their Maxi carrots (the longer ones) and Distribution Drippers for better coverage.

Will be using a 6" inline fan (not purchased yet) with carbon filter. Also considering installing a min-split HVAC system, but will run some tests first once the room is all setup. It's really cold down here in the middle of Summer, so not sure if I'll really need it or not yet.

For genetics, I've been collecting a lot of CSI Humboldt gear from Nspecta, mostly Bubba and Chem91 related hybrids with a few other freebies thrown in there. Also have an older pack of Bubba S1 from VerdantGreen; can't even remember when I bought them...2015? 2016? IDK...

Once the room is all setup and ready to go, my first run will be:
VerdantGreen - Bubba S1
CSI - Bubba S1
CSI - Mendocino Purple Kush (MPK)
CSI - Three Queens
CSI - Sugar Puffs

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84015&pictureid=2064051&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Other genetics in the stable for future runs are:
CSI - Double Take - (OG Kush* x Bubba Kush)
CSI - Double Trouble - (Fire OG Kush x Bubba Kush)
CSI - Great White Bubba - (Great White Shark x Bubba Kush)
CSI - Bubba's Coronary Kush - (Heart Attack Kush x Bubba Kush)
CSI - Good Ol' Days - (Panama Red x Bubba Kush)
CSI - Chemdog '91 S1
CSI - Chemdog '91 x Triangle Kush
CSI - Gator Bait
CSI - Dead Zone - (Patient Zero x Chemdog '91)
CSI - Chemdog '91 x Girl Scout Cookies
CSI - Girls Best Friend - (Girl Scout Cookies x Chemdog '91)
CSI - Cousin Stanky - (DJ Short Flo x Chemdog '91)
Pirates of the Emerald Triangle - Pine Tar Kush IBL
Pirates of the Emerald Triangle - Pakistani Chitral Kush IBL
Reservoir - Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze (SSSDH)
Dave Van Pot - God Bud

I have lots more work to do in setting the room up, and lots more info to document/share, but this is a start at least... Until next time!

Peace
DM

That's a hell of a seed collection. Looking forward to seeing what you can do.

G

Hey packerfan, it'll take a while to work through the seed stash, so I'm starting with the oldest seeds first. This is what happens when I can't grow for an extended period of time...

I prepped the storage bin for my vermicompost ventures last night and ordered 2 lbs of African night crawlers, along with alfalfa meal and a decent micro shredder for shredding newspaper for the worm bedding...

Also started putting up one of the stud walls...

Peace
DM

G

Made the worm bedding today: Canna Coco coir, some of the KIS Organics soil used in the flower bed, micro-shredded office paper and newspaper, alfalfa meal, and some sawdust (had some lying around lol) for grit.

Making good progress on the stud walls, too. About 80% done, should wrap that up tonight.

Received my thermo-hygrometer in the mail and did a quick test run with the light on...at about 12" height, and 0 air movement, the temp went from 66F up to 82F in about 30 minutes. Warmer than I thought it would be, but still a lot cooler than the MH/HPS I used to run. I'll do a proper test once the drywall is up and the 6" filter & fan are installed. Hoping I don't have to install the mini-split right away, but I'll do it if necessary...

Peace
DM

G

Exterior stud walls done. I'll build one more interior wall with a pocket door to separate the 6'×6' grow space from the 3'×6' storage/clones/drying area. Next step is to put up the green board on the interior walls and ceiling, insulate, install the fan/filter and light, and run a 48 hour temperature test.

Peace
DM

G

I was thinking of starting the Bubba S1's a couple weeks earlier than the other 3 strains, since Bubba is a notoriously slow-vegging plant. If all goes well with construction of the room, I might be able to start the temperature test this upcoming Sunday...? Fingers crossed.

I received a 6" Hurricane inline fan in the mail, only 71 decibels, or so the website claims. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty confident it'll be quiet enough given that I'm putting up Fire & Sound retardant insulation (wool) in the walls and ceiling.

I have most all of the pieces I need to put this whole thing together, now... Can't wait to start up again, been too long.

Peace
DM

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
looks like a nice set up! did you line the bed with plastic?

I'd like to try a big soil bed indo some day.

G

looks like a nice set up! did you line the bed with plastic?

I'd like to try a big soil bed indo some day.

Thanks! I did not line the bed, but it's a Grassroots fabric pot, which is lined with a type of moisture barrier around the sides, but not the bottom. https://www.grassrootsfabricpots.com/shop/4x4-fabric-raised-bed/

I've been dreaming this up for 10+ years, and just now getting around to making it a reality. Hopefully in a couple years' time, the room will be dialed in and fairly well automated so it can pump out some primo flower and extract for my personal consumption for many years to come...

Peace
DM

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Thanks! I did not line the bed, but it's a Grassroots fabric pot, which is lined with a type of moisture barrier around the sides, but not the bottom. https://www.grassrootsfabricpots.com/shop/4x4-fabric-raised-bed/

I've been dreaming this up for 10+ years, and just now getting around to making it a reality. Hopefully in a couple years' time, the room will be dialed in and fairly well automated so it can pump out some primo flower and extract for my personal consumption for many years to come...

Peace
DM

right on you got the good one. I'm happy now that we are getting correct info on the smart pots
and that they don't work properly in living soil like they do for hydro.

this video has some great info on how to dial your blumats properly.

I tried them 9-10 years ago and the info wasn't there then, one shitty run and I was done with them.

Building a Living Soil Raised Bed - Grassroots Fabric Pots & Blumats

[YOUTUBEIF]qNsdomnho_o[/YOUTUBEIF]

G

this video has some great info on how to dial your blumats properly.

I tried them 9-10 years ago and the info wasn't there then, one shitty run and I was done with them.

Much appreciated! Relying on hand-watering is such a tether in my life, I simply must get some type of automated irrigation in place. If I want to leave for a couple weeks, I feel I should be able to do that...

I'm about an hour into the video, glad to hear the Grassroots guy talk about raising the bed up off the floor (which I've done here). He touched on a couple reasons why I wanted to lift it up, too. I still have approx. 40-42" of plant height I can accommodate currently, and if I wanted another 6" I could just drop the soil level down that much on the next run, since I've got all 18" filled up right now.

I plan to do a lot of the Chem '91 crosses next round, but not sure if I'll drop the soil level for them since they'll be taller, or do some topping and scrogging, or a combination. Guess it depends on how things go with the first round.

Peace
DM

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Green81, thanks for stopping by!

What's up Ganoderma? In the past, I've always run MH/HPS, but switching to LEDs just makes sense for me for many reasons. I wanted to make sure I was getting something decent, and these Photo Boost strips looked to be pretty legit on paper. Time will tell...

I'm hoping to get seeds in dirt by September 1. The room doesn't necessarily have to be completed by then, but I'd like to have the ceiling and walls up and insulated at least. I'll be adding a pocket door between the 3x6 space and the 6x6 grow space to help save space. I'll add trim pieces around the door frame overlapping the edge by a couple of inches to prevent light leaks, while also painting the backside of the trim pieces matte black.

I'm in the process of setting up a vermicompost bin for some African Night Crawlers. Should hopefully be able to order the worms in another week or so once I'm ready...

Can anyone with experience using the Tropf-Blumat irrigation system tell me if/for how long you typically hand water seeds/seedlings until letting the system take over? I'm planning to use the paper towel germination method and put the seeds straight into the flower bed where they'll grow.

Peace
DM
As soon as I see new growth I stop hand watering. But I use both long and short carrots. I like the short ones for the cover crop.

Have you used the blumats before? I love the things and need to get mine set up in my bed as well before the plants I have in there get too big again.