What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A collection of Chunky’s Bagseeds

Hookahhead

These boys are 2 weeks into flowering already, let’s see how they look!

Headband x OGKB #1 - Holy shit look at this guy! The photos do a poor job showing just how tight of nodes this guy has. There are over 30 nodes on the whole plant (I quit counting). He kept that tightness even after the flip. There are 17 nodes on the top 18 inches, not counting the top bud. Each branch comes off at a 45 degree angle and is a strong, short shoot with a nice bud on top. This is definitely one of my keepers, he’s already been used to pollinate my Monkey Shit #5 and my bagseed plant I call Stinkbug (see my thread on Monkey Shit)

Current height: 43 inches
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hookahhead

LocomotiveBreath #2 - There isn’t anything that particularly stands out to me. Longer nodal spacing, longer branches and thinner leaves than the other two. Still not a bad looking plant, probably would do well topped. It is also starting to show a deficiency that the others don’t have (and something I’m not familiar with). He has been used to pollinate my MS2.

Current height: 42 inches
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Cmoon

Dude in my life iv never been an envious sort of grower, be inspired, learn from experience and do better, blind them with science if they dont no better:biggrin:

Love your plot, I can feel that chilled vibe:dance013:

taggin along for the knowledge:tiphat:

bests cm

Hookahhead

And now the bad news...

GorillaScout #1 - Unfortunately this plant is showing about 2-5% female flowers. Although this is the only plant from this line I currently have going, I do have a few more of these seeds to look through. So his pollen will not be used, and his clones were culled today. However I am going to continue to let the seed plant flower. This is a rare opportunity for me to watch a plant like this without feeling guilty. The males are all isolated, so he won’t hurt anything. I have been pollinating the few pistils it throws with his own pollen. I plan to collect the seeds and possibly check them out in the future.. for curiosity’s sake. Therefore this plant will be now called “biCurious George”.

Current height: 34.5 inches

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hookahhead

Two more girls were moved into the flowering greenhouse yesterday. I had to have my assistant handle it because we are under driving restrictions. I also wanted to point out that I have been updating the OP to show the flower dates, and eventually the harvest dates.

GMOGKB #1 - All of these plants are beautiful. Good bits of variation between the seed plants, I’m excited to see how the flowers compare.

Starting height: 43 inches
picture.php

picture.php

GMOGKB 2 - This is the only plant that doesn’t have a rooted cutting yet. This plant has grown as a straight stick. She’s finally pushing a few branches towards the top of the plant, so I have been able to take a few cuttings off her now. She remained untopped, but needed to be moved for fear she might grow too tall haha.

Starting height: 47 inches
picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Hookahhead

I’m thinking I’ll try to update the individual plants every 2 weeks. This is a little less work on me, and will keep the thread a little cleaner. The plants are spaced out apart enough that the updates will stay regular, and a lot of the “boring” parts should be cut out.

So here’s an update on our first 2 ladies! They switched on 3/28.

GMOGKB #5 - She shot up like a rocket! The leaves thinned out quite a bit too. I tied those loose branches up a little bit.

Current height: 53 inches (started @ 39 inches)
picture.php

picture.php

PoisonBreath #2 - I’m kind of surprised how short this plant stayed. Nice compact structure that doesn’t need any support.

Current height: 43 inches (started @ 37 inches
picture.php

Hookahhead

I also flipped the last 2 females today. These 2 were a little bit behind because I ran out of space and kept them in a half gallon instead of a gallon. They’ve caught up now though and are ready to go!

LocomotiveBreath #1 - Not too much to say yet. Healthy plant, but the leaves are showing a little damage from spider mites.

Starting height: 38 inches
picture.php
picture.php

ScoutBreath #2 - these ScoutBreath plants are nice to look at. Their strength and attitude is more than apparent. This one has a lot of branching that will need support. For some reason this plant was super dusty/dirty, she got a nice bath after the photo shoot.

Starting height: 43 inches
picture.php

picture.php

I think I’ll flip the last two males tomorrow...

Hookahhead

Ok I finally got the last two plants moved to flower today. That’s all 17 of these plants! I’m already fighting the urge to pop some more seeds.

ScoutBreath #3 - These two plants were the stragglers. This poor guy got moved to the small greenhouse on accident. When I realized I brought him back with me on the motorcycle... that never goes well. Anyhow he’s recovered for the most part and ready to feed the bees!

Starting height: 28.5
picture.php

picture.php

LocomotiveBreath #3 - This poor fella was the most neglected. He suffered pretty bad from the potassium deficiency, and ended up in the smallest container of them all. Let’s see if he can overcome his poor upbringing.

Starting height: 30.5 inches
picture.php
picture.php

Here’s a shot of what the all boys club looks like.

picture.php

As always thanks for looking, and please feel free to ask questions or make comments!

Hookahhead

Hooray, it’s time for another update of the ladies! I’m happy to see they seem happy in the larger greenhouse. These ones switched on 4/3.

GMOGKB #3 - This one is the squat stalky girl. I probably should have took that into consideration when I moved her into her spot.. there are only 2 plants that have neighbors on 3 sides and she’s one of them.. hindsight.

Current height: 48 inches (Starting height: 37 inches)
picture.php

picture.php

GMOGKB #4 - it’s going to be close to see if #1 or #4 finishes taller, they both stand above the crowd. This girl only has 1 neighbor, I probably should have put #3 here. What I’m happy to see is that even with those legs she has nice strong branches, she won’t need too much support.

Current height: 60 inches (Starting height: 41 inches)
picture.php

picture.php

Hookahhead

These two were also switched on 4/3.

PoisonBreath #1 - Happy little bush.

Current height 49.5 inches (Starting height: 37 inches)
picture.php
picture.php

ScoutBreath #1 - I thought this plant would stretch a little more than it did. Hopefully she’s saving her energy for better things!

Current height: 50 inches (Starting height: 37.5 inches)
picture.php

picture.php

I want everyone to know I’m doing my part to help combat this virus crisis by continually running this solar powered air purifier. (Can you spot the GMOGKB bro?)

picture.php

Most of the other plants in here are around 5 weeks old. They were moved here in smaller containers, and really don’t seem to be thrilled about it. There are 33 plants right now, I think I can fit 43 when “full”. Eventually I hope to have things running perpetually.

Hookahhead

My plan is to save some of this pollen for future use. If I can keep it viable for 3-6 months would be ideal. I am using the advice from Douglas.Curtis in his thread outlining how to make and store feminized pollen.

Storing Your Pollen for Years (Possibly 10+ Years):

Pollen can be stored for a long time in a freezer, as long as it has been thoroughly dried. Silica packs do not absorb down to a low enough relative humidity, so dried rice is used.

Heat an open quart jar of un-cooked rice at 150F-170F for at least 12hrs (anyone know if you can shorten this?). Seal the jar with a lid and ring, and let it cool to room temperature. A wide mouth quart jar is significantly easier to open than a peanut butter jar. The vacuum seal formed while cooling down can be awful. lol

Collect your pollen and carefully transfer it to a foil baking cup or other small container which fits in the jar. Place the foil cup on top of the rice and seal the pollen in the rice container. Set the jar in a cool, dark place for 7 days. Cold temperatures will slow the drying.

(Optional: Toast some flour in a skillet on the stove until it is a dark tan color, then seal hot in another glass, airtight container and let cool to room temperature. This will remove the moisture from the flour. Remove the pollen from the dried rice jar and mix it at a ratio of 1 part pollen to 50 parts flour.) Pollen which has been properly dried does not need flour/cornstarch/rice-grains during storage. You can safely leave the option of 'dilution' till the time you actually use the pollen. I've personally switched to storing pure pollen, since who knows what the future will bring.

Seal the mixed pollen in small containers, foil or plastic sealed pouches or (preferred) 1.5ml centrifuge tubes.

LABEL your containers carefully, using the specific plant name, date and any other information you believe you'll remember later. (Because there's a good chance you won't)

Seal the containers in a thermos and keep it in your freezer. The thermos acts as an additional thermal protection barrier, just in case you have a freezer issue years down the line. It also makes transferring pollen from one place to another a safe operation. Just be sure to keep the thermos at freezing temps, and to limit the amount of time outside the freezer.

This is normal male pollen, not feminized, but of course that doesn’t matter.

picture.php

I actually had to bring the plants in the house for 24 hours to collect some pollen, the bees were literally stealing it all before I could grab any. Anyhow it was collected on a plastic plate, with a paper towel over it for 24 hours to dry. We’re 4 months into the dry season, and humidity is like 45-50% on average.

picture.php

The pollen will be stored in these centrifuge tubes. Each tube will have the name and date it was collected. I don’t know why I don’t really like the idea of using the dried rice. I already had other desiccants on hand here at the house, so this is what I came up with...

picture.php

Two jars, the smaller one needs to fit into the larger one. The smaller one on the left is filled with silica crystal cat liter. The one on the right is filled with Calcium chloride, which is sold for drying out closets and such. I have been using “Damp Rid” brand Calcium chloride to dry/store mushrooms for years. However, this chemical will turn liquid as it absorbs a lot of water. This is the reason for having two jars, if it turns liquid it won’t ruin everything. I would prefer to get “Dry rite” which is Calcium sulphate (gypsum) and doesn’t turn liquid, but it’s not as easy to obtain OTC.

picture.php

Leave the lid off the inside jar, so that the desiccant below can still dry the air around the tubes. The silica gel was used mostly to stand the tubes up, but it certainly doesn’t hurt that it’s another desiccant.

picture.php

All sealed up and ready for the freezer. It seems only appropriate that it’s in a Chunky salsa right?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
those should start smelling soon, good time to toss pollen on some bottom branches...

i'd make more seeds than sensi this round, supply of seeds could disappear faster than TP in the future.

and old sick seedmakers and genetic hoarders could die and our plants with us.

in terms of prepping seeds and sensi are at the top of my list.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Doing a great job on these Hookahhead I agree with Chunkypigs make more seeds the more the merrier so they say :tiphat:

Hookahhead

those should start smelling soon, good time to toss pollen on some bottom branches...

i'd make more seeds than sensi this round, supply of seeds could disappear faster than TP in the future.

and old sick seedmakers and genetic hoarders could die and our plants with us.

in terms of prepping seeds and sensi are at the top of my list.

It’s not a fun thing to think about, but you’re certainly right.

Also flowering along side these plants are an OGKZ and Trainwreck (both Humbolt seed) and a Gorilla Scout (Paisa seeds) that came to me as clones from another grower down here. They’re plants 2-4 on the left side of the green house. They moved with the first two groups, so they’re the same age 2-2.5 weeks. Everything only has a faint smell so far, except the PoisonBreath #2. I’m not good at describing smells, and it will probably change a good bit before harvest, but there is no doubt that plant is putting off some stink.

Don’t worry, I’m only storing some of the pollen! I am putting the fresh stuff to use too. I have to admit it’s been almost too much fun painting the happy little trees with my paintbrush, RIP Bob Ross.

This is my plant “Stinkbug” which was some sort of Kushy type bag seed. This is literally the lowest bud on the plant. I really enjoy all aspects of her, except that spider mites absolutely love her. Here she is knocked up with the Headband x OGKB #1 male. He’s definitely the winner out of the first 3 males.

picture.php

I questioned whether I wanted to post this picture because of the SM damage, but oh well here it is. Unfortunately it’s not going to be the last picture like this in the thread. I am currently battling them in the greenhouses, and it will be an ongoing struggle. As I’ve pointed out before I’m in the tropics, and my area is very hot and dry right now. Perfect weather for a mite party. I am in an agricultural area, which means other crops are heavily sprayed with pesticides. So my lush green plants with no pesticide is pretty damn inviting.

I can’t obtain beneficial predators without a consultation by a professional, who wouldn’t know the first thing about growing Jamaican tomatoes. I have a few different strategies I’m using currently, but if anyone has some tips I’m happy to hear them. At the very least this will be a good way to look for SM resistance lol. The Monkey Shit plants have decent resistance, but lack a lot of smell/taste. I’ve dusted a few of them with the various males.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
These two were also switched on 4/3.

PoisonBreath #1 - Happy little bush.

Current height 49.5 inches (Starting height: 37 inches)
View ImageView Image

ScoutBreath #1 - I thought this plant would stretch a little more than it did. Hopefully she’s saving her energy for better things!

Current height: 50 inches (Starting height: 37.5 inches)
View Image
View Image

I want everyone to know I’m doing my part to help combat this virus crisis by continually running this solar powered air purifier. (Can you spot the GMOGKB bro?)

View Image

Most of the other plants in here are around 5 weeks old. They were moved here in smaller containers, and really don’t seem to be thrilled about it. There are 33 plants right now, I think I can fit 43 when “full”. Eventually I hope to have things running perpetually.
:woohoo:I’m excited for you hookah I have a bunch of chunky seeds we’re gonna pop every single one of them and it’s all going outside:woohoo:

Cmoon

It’s not a fun thing to think about, but you’re certainly right.

Also flowering along side these plants are an OGKZ and Trainwreck (both Humbolt seed) and a Gorilla Scout (Paisa seeds) that came to me as clones from another grower down here. They’re plants 2-4 on the left side of the green house. They moved with the first two groups, so they’re the same age 2-2.5 weeks. Everything only has a faint smell so far, except the PoisonBreath #2. I’m not good at describing smells, and it will probably change a good bit before harvest, but there is no doubt that plant is putting off some stink.

Don’t worry, I’m only storing some of the pollen! I am putting the fresh stuff to use too. I have to admit it’s been almost too much fun painting the happy little trees with my paintbrush, RIP Bob Ross.

This is my plant “Stinkbug” which was some sort of Kushy type bag seed. This is literally the lowest bud on the plant. I really enjoy all aspects of her, except that spider mites absolutely love her. Here she is knocked up with the Headband x OGKB #1 male. He’s definitely the winner out of the first 3 males.

View Image

I questioned whether I wanted to post this picture because of the SM damage, but oh well here it is. Unfortunately it’s not going to be the last picture like this in the thread. I am currently battling them in the greenhouses, and it will be an ongoing struggle. As I’ve pointed out before I’m in the tropics, and my area is very hot and dry right now. Perfect weather for a mite party. I am in an agricultural area, which means other crops are heavily sprayed with pesticides. So my lush green plants with no pesticide is pretty damn inviting.

I can’t obtain beneficial predators without a consultation by a professional, who wouldn’t know the first thing about growing Jamaican tomatoes. I have a few different strategies I’m using currently, but if anyone has some tips I’m happy to hear them. At the very least this will be a good way to look for SM resistance lol. The Monkey Shit plants have decent resistance, but lack a lot of smell/taste. I’ve dusted a few of them with the various males.

Big job to spray ( but I always think the herbs worth the effort):huggg:

Harkes mechin tecnique, spray wetting agent ( min dilution) back this with Harkers mechin 0.5 per litre while their still damp, leave 30 mins, wash off plain water..repeat 4 days later after inspection and deemed required.

Back up ( and imho this size grow needs 2) sulpher Hotbox, 4 hrs on dark period.

bests Cm:tiphat:

Hookahhead

Cmoon I tried to search for “ Harkes mechin”, “Harkers mechin”, and “mechin technique”. Nothing turned up anything relating to this discussion, so I’m guessing these are possible auto correct? Can you share a link?

Spraying an area like this is harder, but not impossible. Unfortunately they are only effective temporarily, and the greenhouse is nothing close to a sealed environment. A lot of the organic pesticides I might feel comfortable with decay rapidly in the heat and UV.

We use Dr Bronners and coconut oil as a spray in the smaller greenhouse. Spray it on at night and rinse the plant in the morning. This has been fairly effective at keeping the numbers low. We do not continue this treatment in the larger greenhouse, and that’s where we run into issues.

I have been collecting lacewing eggs and larva and moving them to the large greenhouse.

picture.php

The eggs are small and white on a long, thin filament. The filament helps protect them from predation and eating each other. The greenish colored one is closer to hatching. These are small, but fairly easy to spot. However I am not able to collect them anywhere in the numbers I would buy from a supplier.

picture.php

This is a larva I collected off one of the males. If you zoom in you can see the little critter underneath. They will gather dead insects and other debris as a makeshift camouflage. Isn’t nature incredible?

Latest posts

Latest posts