What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Winter 2020 log

Fitzera

Prepping for the next run, this time I will be running:

2x DNA Cannalope Haze fem
2x Peak Northern Berry
2x Peak Skunk Berry
1x RQS Royal Gorilla fem
2x Barneys Gorilla Zkittlez fem
1x CBD Crew CBD Shark fem (need to resupply stock as my retired neighbor has began using this and is going through it at a steady rate)
1x Bagseed Catpiss fem* from the lower mainland around 2004

I will also be trying my hand at pollen chucking and reversing. The catpiss seed is one of only 2 I have left and I would really like to preserve these genetics for my personal experimenting. Tycho has generously sent me the chemicals needed for sts.

The plan is to reverse a branch on the catpiss and self pollinate. As well, I will segregate and harvest pollen from any suitable male(s) from the peak seeds. From there I would like to pollinate a branch of each strain with that pollen as well as the reversed pollen.*

I've started germinating all the seeds except for the cannalope haze as from reading, it stretches quite a bit, so I plan to start them a few weeks after the rest.*

In the end I plan to have 9 plants through flowering. If I end up with more males than females of the Peak seeds, I will add autoflower strains to up the numbers to 9 flowering plants.*

The setup consists of:

5x5 gorilla tent.
Multiple passive inlets (screened vents on bottom of tent) with a 6" inline exhaust fan sucking through a large can filter.
600w hps w/ cooltube (may upgrade to a different style reflector).
600w (450 actual draw) G8 blurple led.
4x 55w auto cobs.
16" wall mount fan and a small clip on fan.
Blumat watering system utilizing ro water. Purge valve and individual shut off valves for each carrot will be used.
5gal pots with recycled supersoil. This with be the 2and run using this soil, it was so heavily amended the first run that there were signs of nitrogen toxicity. Cheap soil test after that grow showed it still contained good amounts of nutrients. After this grow it is remanded and cooked for months untill needed again. I have another batch that has already been amended that is cooking until the following grow.
EWC teas will be used every week to every other week depending on how the girls are doing. Top dressing will also be done towards flowering.*

Topping and lst will be done, and super cropping if required.

I try to keep things as simple and hands off as possible. When I'm not home, it makes it easier for my better half to tend as they dont have any real growing skills (kills 98% of houseplants).

The start of this grow will be slow to be updated as the veg period is boring for spectators. The tent wont be set up for a while yet as I need to wait until mid january, but I'm getting a headstart with the seeds in solo cups under t5s so they are at a decent stage when the tent is ready. They will be put under one of the cobs when they outgrow the t5s.*

After minor issues in each and every grow, but better results each time, I have very high hopes this time round! Thanks for visiting, I hope you all enjoy the show*

Ps, the picture has 2 seedlings already ahead of the rest. These are not part of the next grow. One is an S1 seed of Beanhos SourDxSSH and the other is an Ethos Black Fire Chem S1. The SDxSSh is to be a houseplant for the cats the chew on leaves and the BFC is for a friend.

20191218_114736.jpg

Fitzera

Welcome!

One of mine after a toke too many 😆
20190426_215902.jpg

I have got to figure out how to use Flickr, sideways pics wont do for this log

Last edited:

Fitzera

A week has gone by, Merry Christmas to all!

Not much to report, all are coming up. The royal gorilla and catpiss are slow but they're coming.

The CBD Shark did not germinate so I started a Critical Cure from Barney instead and just put it into soil this morning.
15773077361968571253108712565726.jpg

The 2 larger plants are doing their thing, you can see one of my cats has already gotten into the largest one when I turned my back for a moment.

Still cant seem to get a picture url to properly work...

G

Bro he looks hammered lol.
How I get my pics oriented is edit and save the picture first, (delete the original) and upload the saved version. Editing need only be a slight image crop.

How long are you planning to veg in the 5 gal's?

Ps Dont leave the cannalope Haze too far behind. Yeild and quality will suffer from lack of rootzone.

Fitzera

Bro he looks hammered lol.
How I get my pics oriented is edit and save the picture first, (delete the original) and upload the saved version. Editing need only be a slight image crop.

How long are you planning to veg in the 5 gal's?

Ps Dont leave the cannalope Haze too far behind. Yeild and quality will suffer from lack of rootzone.

He sleeps like that all the time. But only on that spot. Started doing it maybe a year or so ago. I think it's hilarious. And hes dead to the world when hes out like that.

I want to be able to post up full size high quality images like many here do. I use a phone for all this so maybe that's part of my issue. I cant seem to get image URLs to cooperate for me.

From the solo cups I'll go up to 1gal for a bit, then to the 5gal. But I'm not making much of a timeline for myself this time round, more or less transplant and veg as long as I feel they need. Probably about a month from the time they are in 1gal to the time I switch to 12/12...but that's subject to change.

The only reason I'm starting the cannalope haze 2 weeks behind is I've read they stretch quite a bit. And the rest of the plants are probably going to stretch less, so hopefully this will keep the canopy from being too out of wack. I've also read that the royal gorilla stretches quite a bit as well.

That's the beauty of growing for fun, I can change plans anytime 😁

Fitzera

New year, new update!

Since the last update the Royal Gorilla didnt open itself and died off. So it has been replaced and the new seedling is above the soil.

I also popped the 2 Cannalope haze and they have just emerged from the soil.

The Catpiss is off to a slow start, at first I thought it was a runt but it now looks very familiar to when I've grown it in the past. I believe it's just slow due to being 15 year old seed.

Both the Northern Berry have some white streaking on their first sets of 3 blade leaflets. The Skunk berry dont have those markings.

One of the Gorilla Zkittlez is definitely a runt compared to the other. Weaker, slower and low quality growth.

Once they are all a little bigger I'll start feeding with a mix of Alaskan fish fert and Bluesky Organics Fert Alive which is a cold hydrolysis fish fert

I've moved everything into a closet and added one of my autocobs for the 2 bigger plants.

Speaking of which, the Sour D x SSH and the Black Fire Chem have been transplanted into 1gal pots in a mix of the recycled soil, perlite and ewc. Theyve both been topped twice at the 3rd node. Again, the Sour d will be a houseplant for the cats and the BFC will be going to a friend once it's a bit bigger and ready for him to take clones.

Extra pictures of this journal will be uploaded to my log in the basement as you can upload 10 at a time and they are full size and higher quality.

20200101_122300.jpg
20200101_122107.jpg

Here is an example of the white streaking on the Northern Berry
20200101_122324.jpg

Fitzera

I know these updates are boring and will continue to be for some time. I'm more than happy to have discussions in here!
Have you grown any of these strains? How did they go for you?
Are you using a supersoil? Do you test your soil? What amendments do you use and how do you know how much to add? Do you recycle your soil or start over?

G

I would manipulate the size/stretch via the plant aka everything that's happening above the soil. By bending, pinching and topping. The root zone I'd want on par with every other plant. But that's just me, roots are important for everything that happens up top.
So the fish ferts are a food source for the soil microbial population? Any thoughts on mollases?

I've grown organically outside alot, basically with fuckloads of compost, as a soil improver and food source not much else is needed outdoors in the ground. The more varied your compost inputs are the more nutrient bases you have covered. I'd also run the compost through my worm farms for an ultra refined version. And to a less extent I've grown indoors with a super soil mix, actually LCs mix as per the organic thread. Due to consistency, limited space, bugs etc I prefer inert medium indoors. Gotta do whatever works where you are.
I didn't recycle my organic mix, icnould afford to throw it straight into the compost due to using rice hulls instead of perlite for drainage, and I was experimenting with coco as a peat substitute but what I was seeing was coco plant not as happy.
I heard adding back 1/3 new soil to Re-use soil would pretty much keep your soil at a consistent nutrient level, after a certain amount of time.

Fitzera

I would manipulate the size/stretch via the plant aka everything that's happening above the soil. By bending, pinching and topping. The root zone I'd want on par with every other plant. But that's just me, roots are important for everything that happens up top.
So the fish ferts are a food source for the soil microbial population? Any thoughts on mollases?

I've grown organically outside alot, basically with fuckloads of compost, as a soil improver and food source not much else is needed outdoors in the ground. The more varied your compost inputs are the more nutrient bases you have covered. I'd also run the compost through my worm farms for an ultra refined version. And to a less extent I've grown indoors with a super soil mix, actually LCs mix as per the organic thread. Due to consistency, limited space, bugs etc I prefer inert medium indoors. Gotta do whatever works where you are.
I didn't recycle my organic mix, icnould afford to throw it straight into the compost due to using rice hulls instead of perlite for drainage, and I was experimenting with coco as a peat substitute but what I was seeing was coco plant not as happy.
I heard adding back 1/3 new soil to Re-use soil would pretty much keep your soil at a consistent nutrient level, after a certain amount of time.

I have no worries that I'll have a good rootball when I go into flowering.
Yep, the fish ferts are good for microbes in addition to npk etc. I only use molasses for my teas.

I recycle my soil because I dont have a way to use that much and I dont want to throw it out, seems like such a waste. I like building my own and knowing whats in it. The only bugs I've dealt with are gnats and soil mites. Well I havent dealt with the mites cause they're harmless. And the gnats I've gotten rid of by using neem meal in my soil. Actually after I got gnats I started my soil from scratch. No issues since.

I do a cheap store bought soil test to get sort of an idea of what I've got. And then I use a mixture of ewc, lime, oyster shell, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, bone meal, blood meal, fishbone meal, neem meal, rock phosphate, greensand, glacial rock dust, feather meal, mineralized phosphate (guano) and top up with some new bagged soil. I'm thinking of adding some langbeinite next time, they were out of stock when I looked into it.

Fitzera

Another week has gone by. Tomorrow I'll get the tent set up.

I gave the bigger plants a little gaia green seaweed extract, bluesky fert-alive, alaskan fish fert and some bennies. They really blew up overnight. The big ones def need to be transplanted after I get the tent up.

I topped all the bigger ones. Some of the leaves look funky in these pics but that's because of the drastic humidity drop when I took the dome off for these pics. I think it's time to ween them off the starter.

20200108_153039.jpg

Royal Gorilla
20200108_153144.jpg

Critical Cure
20200108_153154.jpg

Cannalope Haze
20200108_153211.jpg

Catpiss
20200108_153305.jpg

Fitzera

Quick update, tent is set up and the bigger plants were transplanted from solo cups to 1gal.

Used recycled soil, ewc, perlite, threw some mycos around the roots and top dressed with a little neem meal.

Got my new fan set up, even on setting "1" this thing blasts way more air than any fan I've used.
And I threw a little heater in just to keep things cozy since it is the middle of winter.
I set the tent up on top of 2 moving blankets to keep the concrete floor from sucking away all the heat.

Should be good to go!

20200109_134408.jpg
20200109_134416.jpg
20200109_134423.jpg
20200109_134425.jpg

On a side note, I edited my pictures to rotate them so they would end up right after the icmag software did its thing...still rotated as if I hadn't done anything different. Super annoying

See you in a week!

G

Gday fitzera

Do those fish ferts sustain the plant at all? Or would they grow fine with just water. What bag soil do you use?
How do you make your mollases tea?
Winter sounds cosy :tiphat:

Fitzera

Gday fitzera

Do those fish ferts sustain the plant at all? Or would they grow fine with just water. What bag soil do you use?
How do you make your mollases tea?
Winter sounds cosy :tiphat:

They do, they have npk, enzymes, etc. I like to give some every, say, 3rd watering. The soil should be good enough though really. Just feeding some good stuff to the soil to ensure it's got what it needs.

I started with Bluesky Organics Supersoil. I find it to be a pretty good soil, not hot. I've planted directly into it with seedlings with no issue. That's the same soil I use to top up my totes when I recycle and amend.

My teas consists of blueksys vit-alive dry tea mix, ewc, molasses and a little alfalfa and kelp and a dash of liquid guano for flowering. Brewed for 24 hours with 2 airstones. I'll likely only do 1 tea in veg, when I transplant to 5 gals.

I'll do a little top dress just before flowering, to get those starting to breakdown so they're available during flower.

Blumats wont be installed until I'm in 5gal pots.

I set up the humidifier last night to keep the vpd in check

Yes...its -30 out....cozy winter lol

Fitzera

Another week, another update

Another week, another update

Everything except for the Cannalope Haze and Critical Cure have been topped at least once. I will be topping all plants twice and most likely top the 2 strongest branches of each plant. But that's always subject to change. Everything is.

Just transplanted the Catpiss and Royal Gorilla. Catpiss looks healthy but it is sooo slow compared to others. Very short, dense internodes, we shall see what comes of it.

Last update I transplanted 6, it was a little rough. Had a few root balls fall apart, but not completely. I didnt check the ph of the nutrients I had given them until after, and it was like 5.7. Add on top of all that, I put the humidifier in and it took me a couple days to get the temp/humidity at a steady decent state. The best I can keep it at is about 23-25 degrees at 60-65%rh. But those plants dealt with ph, temp and humidity swings for a bit. Looking much better now.

I topped dressed them with some neem meal and oyster shell because this current batch of soil doesnt have the neem mixed in for gnats, and I wanted to boost the calcium a bit. Trying higher calcium.

Overall shot
20200115_104303.jpg

Cannalope Haze
20200115_104318.jpg

Critical Cure
20200115_104331.jpg

Catpiss
20200115_104343.jpg

Royal Gorilla
20200115_104356.jpg